PDA

View Full Version : **Spoiler** breaking into the vault...

Pyxie
09-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I happened to be online when my newsletter came through --- if you haven't read it yet, you may want to!

***Spoiler***

So you think Barrons was watching her while she was breaking into the vault, or do you think it was something he did later? If he was watching her while she was doing it, that would rule out it being HIM being the howling monster in the vault!

LOL! KMM you're killin' me, you're really KILLIN' me! :th_thud:I'm lovin' it though, I haven't had this much fun waiting for a book it a long time! :D

CelticBorn
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Did anyone else notice that she "shrugged her cuffed arm" in response to JZB's question? Does this mean that she has on the Cuff of Cruce? And why the heck did she go to Faery w/ V'lane? I read the booklet yesterday after I got it in the mail and I think it may have to do w/ his "human hour long" friendly talk w/ Mac. That or she goes crazy in the pages before this exchange. PICK JAB MAC!

Pyxie
09-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I did notice that. There is just something ominous about V'lane...and the cuff, IMHO. ;-) If I have to pick a side I'm still stickin' with JB, he may be a bit brutal and whatnot, but there is just something about V'lane that makes my skin crawl.

Michelle*My*Belle
09-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm WAITING and am an excited WRECK! No newsletter for me, yet.:a20:

Virginia
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't think the arm band JB gave Mac is the Cuff of Cruce...I think V'lane offered Mac the cuff of Cruce in Darkfever to keep JB away from her somehow. I haven't seen the booklet yet, and I agree with Pyxie, V'lane creeps me out. Love the newsletter spoiler though..."Annn-ti-ci-pa-tion....Annn-ti-ci-paaaaa-aaaa--shunnnn...is making me wait..."" sorry if Carly Simon gets stuck in you alls heads.....

Danielle42
09-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I did notice that. There is just something ominous about V'lane...and the cuff, IMHO. ;-) If I have to pick a side I'm still stickin' with JB, he may be a bit brutal and whatnot, but there is just something about V'lane that makes my skin crawl.

I'm with you - V'lane is too weird for me, too silky, and too FAE! What is that girl thinking? Sounds like she got some good lovin' out of it though... :th_anim_naughty-vi: although I can't imagine relaxing enough around v'lane to actually enjoy it.

Also - could she possibly be crazy enough to think she can play V'lane and JZB off against one another? That seems like suicide!

Interesting to see that JZB sees himself as being on the OTHER side (or another side) from the Fae...While there may be many who are against the Unseelie, they clearly do not see themselves as allies...

claudia celestial girl
09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
OMG! I am so pissed with her right now. Very upset too. I want her to take that cuff OFF! Yikes! Maybe that's why she has to lose a piece of her soul to get rid of it later. :-(

ps - is that bikini he talks about the same one in the teaser that JZB finds her in when he was looking for her and threatening to tatoo her???

Pyxie
09-18-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't think the arm band JB gave Mac is the Cuff of Cruce...

Is there a teaser that mentions JB giving her a cuff of some type? Did I miss that? If so, can someone tell me where it's at so I can read it? :65:

Pyxie
09-18-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm with you - V'lane is too weird for me, too silky, and too FAE! What is that girl thinking? Sounds like she got some good lovin' out of it though... :th_anim_naughty-vi: although I can't imagine relaxing enough around v'lane to actually enjoy it.

OMG! I am so pissed with her right now. Very upset too. I want her to take that cuff OFF! Yikes! Maybe that's why she has to lose a piece of her soul to get rid of it later. :-(

ps - is that bikini he talks about the same one in the teaser that JZB finds her in when he was looking for her and threatening to tatoo her???

You know the teaser about V'lane turning off the sex, and turning on the charm? IMHO this puts him on the same level with the Gray Man, he couldn't get her with sex, so now he's going to try pretty gifts that appeal to that shallow side of her? At least with the Unseelie, you know what you're getting death and destruction - with the Seelie, (at least V'lane) your still get death and destruction, he just puts a pretty face on it, makes it feel good and kills you anyway. You said it Claudia, I'm so pissed with her right now. I'd just like to smack her upside the head and tell her...pull your head out!

Amie
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
I was thinking that the cuff she had on came from JB -- isn't it mentioned somewhere that he wears one as well? And then having V'Lane's bikini on? I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Barron's is not giving her much to work with (sexy, stubborn, tortured ? ass that he is). At least V'Lane intereacts with her in a way that implies an attempt at being nice to her (and icky as he seems, at least he's something, and Mac is stuck in the twilight zone. Cut the girl some slack). I'm not upset with Mac about getting it on with L'Vane -- she hinted in DF that she had done that and regretted it. At least she got some benefit out of her mistake (the best one of her life? Good for you, Mac! If this book didn't have more sexual action than DF, I was going to be very frustrated. Now I know I have at least one scene to look forward to) :drool-vi::

Come on, October 16th!

Irish Crowe
09-18-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm still in favor of Barrons being a were. I think he went back and looked at it later and is using the bit about looking at the vid to throw her off the trail. I am Incredibly pissed off at Mac for having done anything with V'lane-the-slimy-git. I don't care if he's "been nice" to her because for all mean's and purposes V'lane is a heroine dealer trying to get Mac hooked. I really hope that the cuff she's wearing in the spoiler is one that JB gave her and not the one that V'lane did. I just really, Really hope that she hurries up and chooses JB over V'lane (because, yeah, playing them off each other is suicide).

P. S. Greetings and Salutations, I'm "Irish Crowe formally known as Annaline"

oracle
09-18-2007, 06:15 PM
1) I don't think the cuff is anything that JB gave her but we will find out soon enought in less than 28 days (woohoo)! I believe it is the Cuff of Cruce and that Mac, after her extensive chat with V'lane, finally accepted it.

2) I thoroughly respect Mac now as I ever have. She has a lot of courage and grit in spite of her circumstances and currently she plays on Mac's side and not JB or V'lanes. BTW, JB's statement about choosing a side plays more to what seems to me to be an intimate relationship between V'lane and JB like "you can't get between us". Because...we're the same person (though we killed this theory a while back) or we're too close for our own comfort (related, etc.). We shall see...

3) I don't think Mac had actually coitus with V'lane. I think that orgasm was one of the usual side-effects of her interactions with V'lane. Either he put his sex-power upon her full-force during the visit or she had to relieve herself afterwards. No physicality...I think.

4) I reiterate - I respect Mac deeply for standing up to JB by simply laying out the truth of the situation. He is not all knowing and he is unwilling to share. Unwilling to enlight and she loses nothing by sharing nothing with he who choses to share nothing with her...

Only time and the release of BF will tell...

Cheryle
09-18-2007, 09:51 PM
All I can say Ugh V'Lane! Wahhhhhh I want this book bad.

Pyxie
09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
All I can say Ugh V'Lane! Wahhhhhh I want this book bad.

Me too. Once I get it in my hands I am going on Hiatus for about 24 hrs!

claudia celestial girl
09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
You know the teaser about V'lane turning off the sex, and turning on the charm? IMHO this puts him on the same level with the Gray Man, he couldn't get her with sex, so now he's going to try pretty gifts that appeal to that shallow side of her? At least with the Unseelie, you know what you're getting death and destruction - with the Seelie, (at least V'lane) your still get death and destruction, he just puts a pretty face on it, makes it feel good and kills you anyway. You said it Claudia, I'm so pissed with her right now. I'd just like to smack her upside the head and tell her...pull your head out!
Yeah. sometimes Mac makes me crazy. I've called her 'too stupid to live' before. but then I was wrong. I think I called her TSTL when she walked into the Dead Zone searching for 1247 LaRue by herself. But it turned out OK. Thank God Barrons was there.

I agree with Irish Crowe, who said in response to another thread:

I have disliked V'lane from the start. My first impressions of him have been that of a rapist. A typical rapist doesn't rape a woman for sex, he rapes her for the power trip. V'lane has Not Even Once let off the power trip. Yeah, he may turn down the sex, but he doesn't ever stop trying to completely coererce Mac. And even if he doesn't kill her, he will leave her addicted and possibly destroy her entire life. He's a heroine dealer trying to get Mac hooked so that she'll be his puppet. Furthermore, I'd rather be dead in body and live in soul any day of the week. What V'lane will do in having sex with Mac is (in either small portion or large portion) through his threat is to strip away and / or destroy her humanity.

My gut feeling is that this is correct. and even Mac said in the proloque to DF, that if the Fae is like an addiction, and if you give in they'll own you.

Soooo... hope JZB will be there for her again, because she's going to need him. (That's my prediction.)

claudia celestial girl
09-18-2007, 10:35 PM
OK. I'm still mad at Mac. You know, Gabby spent a lot of time judging Adam before she yielded to his seduction. Obviously we have to wait for the book to come out, and I have to tell myself, not to prejudge the situation based upon the teaser, but I expected Mac to be less compliant with V'lane, to be more guarded.

I'm probably feeling as mad as JZB is in that scene!

valentine
09-19-2007, 12:02 AM
My two (hypothetical) cents on all the mini spoilers i have glimpsed so far:

1) i don't think jericho is a werewolf (and dear god i hope he isn't. personally i think the werewolf angle has been over done - ie - laurell hamilton). i think he is maybe half druid half fae - but definately has some kind of druid magical blood in him, which i personally think makes him much more delicious than being a werewolf.

2) jericho is (obviously) attracted to mac and his soul is definately damned. which is why i think he holds himself back from really indulging in his attraction to her.

3) the howling - ok i didn't read the booklet, but from what i've gathered from everyone's response thus far, i think the howling is from a new character that will be introduced in bloodfever. or - as everyone as said, it's his "other' form (other as in, something else besides being an werewolf)

4) i think jericho is insanly jealous of v'lane, and i'll bet jericho has confronted him about his "flirtations" with mac. moreover, i'll bet v'lane openly brags about it to jericho, further infuriating him. kind of like an adam and hawk dynamic going on there.

5) do yout hink there will be a mention of adam black in one of the books? like... in the context of either where he is now in his happy mortal married life or more peeking into the mischivious things he does when he was still fae. maybe in one of the books mac will have to visit adam in his mortal married life and ask for his help and pick his mind about the faery world...

....ok i am clearly in love with these series as i've never joined a forum to discuss a fictional book before. but i love it!

Pyxie
09-19-2007, 02:30 AM
OK. I'm still mad at Mac. You know, Gabby spent a lot of time judging Adam before she yielded to his seduction. Obviously we have to wait for the book to come out, and I have to tell myself, not to prejudge the situation based upon the teaser, but I expected Mac to be less compliant with V'lane, to be more guarded.

:anim_furious-vi: I'm right there with ya'!

I think this is part of the reason I like KMM so much, I get really wrapped up in her characters. It's a fictional story with fictional characters, and fictional theories! So get wrapped up in it. That's the fun of it, isn't it?

I have a feeling we will run the gamit of emotions in KMM's Fever universe!

I have never been disappointed with the ending in any of Karen's books, so I think whatever journey she takes us on we will enjoy the ride the whole way. Just my thoughts. :)

miss lulu
09-19-2007, 07:57 AM

First off, my not a romance person reader, but I just love all the Fae stories of KMM. DF was great, but after reading the Sept. teaeser, I don't know if I'll like BF.

:anim_lolabove-vi:Mac is stupid at this point to me. She complains about V'Lane ways and yet is still getting off by him. And what was the bikini for? If she just wanted to be friends why wear barely anything next to a death by sex Fae?

Poor JZB, he is trying to understand his attraction to Mac. He makes no moves cause he does not want to mislead her into thinking anything yet. But she goes around getting off by V'Lane and can barely hide the fact because it is written all over her face!

I don't know how, when or why a romance between Mac & JZB will happen, but Mac better work for it! At this point, she is just two timing everyone.

And if someone says: JZB is only cold to her, let her have her fun. I'll say how can a guy start opening up to someone is attracked to another. He may have never like someone the way he likes Mac.

And if she is to end up with V'Lane than give JZB a break and give him a woman to distract himself. :crying-vi:

Sorry if I come off I bit strong, it just the way I feel. KMM writes like no one else.

MeShelle
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
It made it seem as the cuff was given to her by JB ... At least thats what i think... Ofcourse she could be refering to some other gift that he gave her... And she did WHAT with V'lane... I thought she didnt like him... Gosh i perfer JB....

Mackayla
09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I know everyone has been going off about the bikini and the cuff and weather she is two timing

but........

What gets me the most is when Mac says

"Fine, Barrons, keep your secrets but know this: I'll only confide in
you to the extent that you confide in me. You keep me in the dark, I'll
keep you in the dark, and you know what that does? Leaves us both
bumbling around in the dark. Seems pretty stupid to me."

This makes sense to me probably the only part of the spoiler that does:)!

I fell that at this point of time when she say's this, that she has matured futher than at the end of DF.

I have not read the booklet so :((((( Well those are my thoughts

(actually if mac doesn't burn the bikini-I will burn it for her!!!!!!):anim_devil-vi:

Danielle42
09-19-2007, 04:55 PM
The cuff, the bikini, a fae-induced orgasm - this last excerpt made my head spin! There are so many directions my mind is going in, I don't know where to start!

Ok, whew, take a breath (hard to breath with all these hormones flying!)...

the cuff - while V'lane did offer one, I think it's from JZB (She shakes it at him when talking about trusting things from him).

the bikini - I don't think V'lane gave it to her - I certainly wouldn't oput ti past Mac to own a hot pink bikini). Wasn't she wearing it in the scene where JZB says all that great stuff about love and loss? Could this scene (about burning the bikini) come right before or after?

That, BTW, has got to be one of the hottest scenes in the whole book:

"The delicately strung together hot pink triangles covered very little, and while I'd not minded so much on the beach, being nearly naked around Barrons felt a lot like going to a shark convention lightly basted in blood." :drool-vi:

The orgasm - like someone said earlier, I don't think Mac had sex with V'lane, just that he brought her to orgasm. I suspect that, like other KMM heroines, Mac is still a virgin (what, BTW, is it about being a virgin? I'm not saying to give it all away but really...well, more on that in another conversation, perhaps).

Soooo, I don't think that she 'gave it away' to V'lane - in fact, I think Mac's virginity is going to play a role between her and JZB (another sign of her innocence, etc.)

Yeow!

Pyxie
09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
The cuff, the bikini, a fae-induced orgasm - this last excerpt made my head spin! There are so many directions my mind is going in, I don't know where to start!

Ok, whew, take a breath (hard to breath with all these hormones flying!)...

the cuff - while V'lane did offer one, I think it's from JZB (She shakes it at him when talking about trusting things from him).

The orgasm - like someone said earlier, I don't think Mac had sex with V'lane, just that he brought her to orgasm. I suspect that, like other KMM heroines, Mac is still a virgin (what, BTW, is it about being a virgin? I'm not saying to give it all away but really...well, more on that in another conversation, perhaps).

Soooo, I don't think that she 'gave it away' to V'lane - in fact, I think Mac's virginity is going to play a role between her and JZB (another sign of her innocence, etc.)

Yeow!

Can you imagine? If we felt like that yesterday with just the teaser, I can't imagine how we're going to feel reading the book! I can't wait.

As for the Cuff, I think it may be the one that V'lane originally offered to her, she spends time with him in Faery on a beach, beneath a Fae sun, has fae induced orgasms, maybe he somehow convinced her to take it. :-(

If she is a virgin, I agree that would maybe be a turning point for JZB, because right now he just thinks she's "spoiled little girl". I don't think he has much respect for her on an indvidual level, as she grows, and makes choices without him (even the bad one's - Ugh! V'lane?) He is going to realize she's become a woman. (I thought she was young and shallow when I first started the book) He'll need to face the harsh reality that she doesn't really need him. He needs her. Just a theory. ;-)

claudia celestial girl
09-19-2007, 08:55 PM
As for the Cuff, I think it may be the one that V'lane originally offered to her, she spends time with him in Faery on a beach, beneath a Fae sun, has fae induced orgasms, maybe he somehow convinced her to take it. :-(

I guess I'm one that believes it to be the very same Cuff of Cruce that V'Lane offered her on numerous occasions. And that she waves it at JZB in a bit of taunting - like what have you ever given me that I can trust? This makes me very unhappy, though. And I'm sure it makes JZB unhappy.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that this teaser follows after the bit about JZB tearing apart the bookstore looking for her, and her being in the little itsy-bitsy bikini that made her feel like roasted meat in the lion's den? She's wearing V'Lane's bikini when JZB finds her, and his cuff. Like a kept woman (I'm so mad at her).

BTW - I don't think JZB keeps an eye on her with 'camera's'. Please. But I don't think he can yet tell her how his magyk works.

And I do agree with folks who say that there is something between JZB and V'Lane and that V'Lane's getting Mac away from JZB is probably just to fuel that 'thing' that is between them. It explains a little bit more about why V'Lane would violate (what he can of) the wards of JZB's place and use the shades to get Mac's attention.

I've been asking myself for months - why does V'Lane want Mac, of all women out there in life's salad bowl for him to sample? He knows she is a Null, of course, that makes her perhaps more appealing/tempting. But also, she was 'with' JZB during DF. He never said - oh good, there's someone who can protect her...

MeShelle
09-19-2007, 08:58 PM
I so agree with you Claudia its as if you were in my head.... But what keeps me thinking is she said JZB gave her something im wondering what it is???

claudia celestial girl
09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I so agree with you Claudia its as if you were in my head.... But what keeps me thinking is she said JZB gave her something im wondering what it is???
I don't know that he gave her anything of the kind. I read that passage to say that she feels she got something from V'Lane and nothing (but half-truths and pains in the @$$) from JZB - nothing physical that she could point to that protected her. (I think she's totally wrong about that ...) but she feels like JZB had her burgling, murdering, and other morally repugnant things, things that forced her into hiding. I don't think she counts how much she played into those events. I mean - nobody told her to steal from Malluce. She did that all by herself. And she could have told Barrons she wouldn't take the spear under any circumstances, that's where she drew the line. So I'm not very sympathetic towards her blaming him for being a fugitive from O'Bannion's minions, etc.

MeShelle
09-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Im going to have to re-read the spoiler but what you are saying does make sense.

claudia celestial girl
09-19-2007, 09:37 PM
I'll say one thing, and that is that Mac's relationship with JZB moves pretty far afield from that of the blinding devotion of Fiona, or the merely sexual, like that between JZB and Marilyn - that bi*&^ from Casa Blac (as someone on this board so memorably said!) She has standards that JZB can't meet, and that sort of gives him the swift kick in the pants that he sort of needs wrt women (remember his words at 2 am at the Clarin House - I am unaccustomed to bartering with a woman, I'm unused to asking for what I want).

Pyxie
09-19-2007, 10:22 PM
I guess I'm one that believes it to be the very same Cuff of Cruce that V'Lane offered her on numerous occasions. And that she waves it at JZB in a bit of taunting - like what have you ever given me that I can trust? This makes me very unhappy, though. And I'm sure it makes JZB unhappy.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that this teaser follows after the bit about JZB tearing apart the bookstore looking for her, and her being in the little itsy-bitsy bikini that made her feel like roasted meat in the lion's den? She's wearing V'Lane's bikini when JZB finds her, and his cuff. Like a kept woman (I'm so mad at her).

And I do agree with folks who say that there is something between JZB and V'Lane and that V'Lane's getting Mac away from JZB is probably just to fuel that 'thing' that is between them.

I do think this teaser falls right between trashing the store and the love and lost teaser. I also think that the Cuff is from V'lane, I believe he convinced her to take it, and it is a taunt at JZB.

I think someone said yesterday V'lane was just 'doing what it takes' to get her to talk to him. you mentioned in another post that she gives in way too easily, I agree with that comment 100%...'doing what it takes' means commanding a naked Mac to get on her knees and humiliate her in public!? Uh...no thanks.

I know I have not read BF yet so there IS a lot I don't know...I keep hoping that Mac is going to grow up and be someone I can relate to. Maybe some people already do relate to her, but on a personal level, I am having a hard time of it. :-( She was growing on me by the end of DF, but I feel like I'm in the same place I started with her.

oracle
09-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Again, although I am intrigued by JB and his sultriness, I remain displeased with his treatment of Mac. I believe that Mac has had to adjust to and absorb a number of incredulous revelations that I'm not sure many of us could or would. JB doesn't tell her more than she needs to know, probably for her protection, but he cannot expect her to continuously understand or acquiesce to his demands without explanation. His eerie do-what-I-tell-you-to-do-because-I-am-all-knowing approach to EVERYTHING can wear a girl out. I doubt that Mac, sister of Alina and possibly the most powerful sidhe-seer alive is as dumb as some may conclude. She is feeling her way through the whole ordeal and finding a place to stand and since JB isn't very warm or outwardly protective of her, she has to find her own way even if it's opposition to his demands.

I do think that JB knows Mac is powerful and respects her and cares for her even from early on in DF. His protective compulsion manifests itself in his very tough treatment of her. He is like the parent that wants to toughen his child and bar her from harm. The harder he is on her, the safer she will, he may reason. The problem here though is that since Mac can't read his mind, his do-as-I-say ways can go but so far. And I think he may find her defiance of him refreshing...

As for V'lane, I didn't like him much in DF but in the BF booklet, there's something about the way he wanted to spend time with Mac that paints him beyond your usual Fae arrogance. Now it may be manipulation or baiting JB or it's just awe at this powerful sidhe-seer. I'm not sure of his motives.

I strongly believe that Mac did not have sex or a dalliance with V'lane on the beach. She is too much of a lady and respects romance too much to go off rubbing on V'lane. I think he had a chat with her and had his usual affect, leaving her incredibly turned on and causing her to surreptitiously dispatch with an orgasm when she can discretely do so, as she had done in the past.

Mac is one tough, adaptable and, dare I say, honorable cookie. Remember, JB is the cursed one. He is the inscrutable one. And, handsome devil that he is, something's gotta give in how he treats Mac. And, oh, Mac isn't completely off the hook here, her denial about her feelings about JB--oh I'm ovulating, that's why he's hotly in my mind--needs to take a hike amongst other things. I can't WAIT to see how KMM resolves this if at all in BF.

That's my two cents...Begin fattening the crow in case I have to eat it in October...I want a delectable feast!

miss lulu
09-20-2007, 08:32 AM
In Spell, on the bottom of page 391, the Queen A says: "in a little over five years....The shades were feeding again, the hunters were enforcing compliance, calling death sentences for slightest infraction, and the exquisite UNSEELIE PRINCES were indulging their insatiable appetite for moral women, brutally raping, leaving mindless shells."

I don't know about you, but from reading this it makes me think that the Queen would not allow her court princes to do this. I could be wrong here, but does not seem to like their actions, and V'Lane pretty much fits this description to a 'T'. He says he works for the Queen but she is not there to say if he is or isn't.

And him taking Mac to the Fae beach means nothing in the sense that the unseelie are walk about doing what they want already. No hiding. And remember we can not tell if it is a unseelie or seelie prince they all look alike.

Then there is the fact that JZB knows him. OK. What if he does not know he is unseelie, unlikely. And JZB seems to be a good guy for now, so why know V'Lane? Maybe was part of their world at one point but no longer.

I really do not know at this point.

Danielle42
09-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't know that he gave her anything of the kind. I read that passage to say that she feels she got something from V'Lane and nothing (but half-truths and pains in the @$$) from JZB - nothing physical that she could point to that protected her. (I think she's totally wrong about that ...) but she feels like JZB had her burgling, murdering, and other morally repugnant things, things that forced her into hiding. I don't think she counts how much she played into those events. I mean - nobody told her to steal from Malluce. She did that all by herself. And she could have told Barrons she wouldn't take the spear under any circumstances, that's where she drew the line. So I'm not very sympathetic towards her blaming him for being a fugitive from O'Bannion's minions, etc.

Claudia - I think you are right on about the V'lane-Mac-JZB triangle. On second reading it does seem like the Cuff has to be V'lane's and she is taunting JZB with his lack of tangible help. (Like you, I think she is underestimating the help he has given her).

I had the same feeling about the two bikini scenes - I think one follows the other, although I'm not sure how the tatoo part comes up...

Danielle42
09-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Again, although I am intrigued by JB and his sultriness, I remain displeased with his treatment of Mac. I believe that Mac has had to adjust to and absorb a number of incredulous revelations that I'm not sure many of us could or would. JB doesn't tell her more than she needs to know, probably for her protection, but he cannot expect her to continuously understand or acquiesce to his demands without explanation. His eerie do-what-I-tell-you-to-do-because-I-am-all-knowing approach to EVERYTHING can wear a girl out. I doubt that Mac, sister of Alina and possibly the most powerful sidhe-seer alive is as dumb as some may conclude. She is feeling her way through the whole ordeal and finding a place to stand and since JB isn't very warm or outwardly protective of her, she has to find her own way even if it's opposition to his demands.

I do think that JB knows Mac is powerful and respects her and cares for her even from early on in DF. His protective compulsion manifests itself in his very tough treatment of her. He is like the parent that wants to toughen his child and bar her from harm. The harder he is on her, the safer she will, he may reason. The problem here though is that since Mac can't read his mind, his do-as-I-say ways can go but so far. And I think he may find her defiance of him refreshing...

As for V'lane, I didn't like him much in DF but in the BF booklet, there's something about the way he wanted to spend time with Mac that paints him beyond your usual Fae arrogance. Now it may be manipulation or baiting JB or it's just awe at this powerful sidhe-seer. I'm not sure of his motives.

I strongly believe that Mac did not have sex or a dalliance with V'lane on the beach. She is too much of a lady and respects romance too much to go off rubbing on V'lane. I think he had a chat with her and had his usual affect, leaving her incredibly turned on and causing her to surreptitiously dispatch with an orgasm when she can discretely do so, as she had done in the past.

Mac is one tough, adaptable and, dare I say, honorable cookie. Remember, JB is the cursed one. He is the inscrutable one. And, handsome devil that he is, something's gotta give in how he treats Mac. And, oh, Mac isn't completely off the hook here, her denial about her feelings about JB--oh I'm ovulating, that's why he's hotly in my mind--needs to take a hike amongst other things. I can't WAIT to see how KMM resolves this if at all in BF.

That's my two cents...Beginning fattening the crow in case I have to eat it in October...I want a delectable feast!

Well-said! You'll have to save me a portion 'cause I think you are right on.

SeaFlame
09-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I am reserving judgement about V'lane until I know more about him. At this point we just don't have enough information to figure out his motives. And as for JB, he treats Mac like a stupid chunk of garbage most of the time. She is alone with no family or friends around her, no comfort. So V'lane is just going to be that much more appealing to her if he treats her well, converses with her as if she's intelligent (which she is, despite her moments of blondness), and perhaps even answers her questions. None of which JB will do. But I think that JB treats Mac so bad because he is developing feelings for her, and he knows he shouldn't be. I am getting so impatient for BF to come out! :55:

claudia celestial girl
09-20-2007, 11:12 AM
In Spell, on the bottom of page 391, the Queen A says: "in a little over five years....The shades were feeding again, the hunters were enforcing compliance, calling death sentences for slightest infraction, and the exquisite UNSEELIE PRINCES were indulging their insatiable appetite for moral women, brutally raping, leaving mindless shells."

I don't know about you, but from reading this it makes me think that the Queen would not allow her court princes to do this. I could be wrong here, but does not seem to like their actions, and V'Lane pretty much fits this description to a 'T'. He says he works for the Queen but she is not there to say if he is or isn't.

And him taking Mac to the Fae beach means nothing in the sense that the unseelie are walk about doing what they want already. No hiding. And remember we can not tell if it is a unseelie or seelie prince they all look alike.

Then there is the fact that JZB knows him. OK. What if he does not know he is unseelie, unlikely. And JZB seems to be a good guy for now, so why know V'Lane? Maybe was part of their world at one point but no longer.

I really do not know at this point.
Even though I'm not a fan of V'Lane, I'm not sure this description fits him to a 'T'. Not sure I can explain why though.

Pyxie
09-20-2007, 11:33 AM
That's my two cents...Beginning fattening the crow in case I have to eat it in October...I want a delectable feast!

This is a comment that I have made several times! :65: I will happily devour crow as long as I have BF in my hands and a great bottle of Merlot. ;-)

claudia celestial girl
09-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Maybe Mac, being from the South, wants to be treated with a little bit of chivalry, and V'Lane figured that out. What did he say - you were such a sweet thing when you got here ...

She's not going to get anything like that from JZB.

miss lulu
09-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Even though I'm not a fan of V'Lane, I'm not sure this description fits him to a 'T'. Not sure I can explain why though.

Maybe because he turn off the glamour and turn on the charm. And I think by just calling her by her name made her need him at some level. In DF she did wish for just some familiar feeling and V'Lane is giving it to her.

So maybe he does not fix the description to a T but a little nerve in my spine just jumps everytime I read this line.

And at this point if Mac wants V'Lane that is fine, but I would not like to see her having fun with him and than turns around and declares her love for JZB. If the series is to have true love than I hope she picks one and stays true to her chose.

Irish Crowe
09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Maybe because he turn off the glamour and turn on the charm. And I think by just calling her by her name made her need him at some level. In DF she did wish for just some familiar feeling and V'Lane is giving it to her.

But JB also calls Mac by name -- at the very end of DF. In fact, JB always calls Mac by name, he just refers to her as "Miss Lane." I just recently spent a semester is Scotland, and the one thing that I won't ever forget was the comment a friend made by how it was always easy to know if a person was American: how quickly Americans refer to each other by first name. Pretty much the entire time I was over there, he only called me by my last name. If JB is just following this cultural norm, it means he's shown Mac a heck of a lot more respect than V'lane has, and it was at a point when he was honest-to-goodness worried about her when he slipped up and used her given name.

I need to go back and re-read DF because at the moment I can't recall when V'lane refers to Mac by name, nor the way in which he does. I do seem to recall her freaking out about it the first time, though (and not in a good way).

miss lulu
09-20-2007, 06:21 PM
But JB also calls Mac by name -- at the very end of DF. In fact, JB always calls Mac by name, he just refers to her as "Miss Lane." I just recently spent a semester is Scotland, and the one thing that I won't ever forget was the comment a friend made by how it was always easy to know if a person was American: how quickly Americans refer to each other by first name. Pretty much the entire time I was over there, he only called me by my last name. If JB is just following this cultural norm, it means he's shown Mac a heck of a lot more respect than V'lane has, and it was at a point when he was honest-to-goodness worried about her when he slipped up and used her given name.

I need to go back and re-read DF because at the moment I can't recall when V'lane refers to Mac by name, nor the way in which he does. I do seem to recall her freaking out about it the first time, though (and not in a good way).

When Mac gets hurt and JZB is with her in her room helping her recover, she asks him to call her Mac, but he said "no". That is not really respectful if someone is ask/giving you permission to use their name.

Second JZB calls Fiona by her name (even talks to her nicely) and calls her by a nickname too, Fio. So the whole respect thing is not working for me. Respect would be to do what she asks. Or give it a try.

He has feelings for her but keeps his distants by calling her Miss Lane. I hope he starts calling her at least MacKayla or my lovy dovy. LOL If not V'Lane is who is going to start to get real close to her.

claudia celestial girl
09-20-2007, 09:12 PM
my lovy dovy

OMG! In that strange accent! I'd love to hear it! *smiles* :happy0194:

Danielle42
09-21-2007, 10:26 AM
When Mac gets hurt and JZB is with her in her room helping her recover, she asks him to call her Mac, but he said "no". That is not really respectful if someone is ask/giving you permission to use their name.

Second JZB calls Fiona by her name (even talks to her nicely) and calls her by a nickname too, Fio. So the whole respect thing is not working for me. Respect would be to do what she asks. Or give it a try.

He has feelings for her but keeps his distants by calling her Miss Lane. I hope he starts calling her at least MacKayla or my lovy dovy. LOL If not V'Lane is who is going to start to get real close to her.

I don't think he is being disrespectful - I think he is trying to keep distance between them b/c he doesn't want to get too close, to be too informal. HE is trying to keep this "professional" and he doesn't want to admit that she is getting to him.

MeShelle
09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I think thats it... He just wants to keep distance so he doesnt really get attached... Like if hes lieing to himself

Danielle42
09-21-2007, 12:08 PM
I think thats it... He just wants to keep distance so he doesnt really get attached... Like if hes lieing to himself

Exactly!

I think JZB is going to become a very sympathetic character.

And, I haven't yet weighed in about Mac (keep meaing to but can't remember which thread it was all in...)

Anyway, I think Mac is one of the most compelling female leads in all romance novel-dom! Do I "like" her? Not really, not yet. She's not my type of girlfriend at all. She's too girly, too cutesy, too shallow (outwardly), too obsessed with clothes, nails, appearances, etc. And honestly, I would never want to raid her closet - that much pink would make me ill.

But that's what's so great about her. She's not your typical, perfect, so sweet, so nice, so cute, etc heroine. I don't think she's a brat or spoiled - I think she's just lived a very sheltered life and is naive (but learning fast). She is used to a world where people are nice, where Mom and Dad are there for you, where the biggest challenge is figuring out what to wear to work or where to go for a date. And then her sister was brutually murdered and her world turned upside down. As someone mentioned earlier, a truly shallow person would not have reacted as passionately and decisively as she did as would never have survived this long (much less for four more books!).

She's clearly very sharp (although not brainy like her sister) - I mean she's walked smack into a crazy world and has not only stayed alive but is actually starting to engage with it on her own terms.

Another thing I like about her is that she knows and likes who she is. She likes being miss small-town homecoming queen. She doesn't want to be rich and sophisticated like Barrons - she's simple and Southern and likes it that way. She wears her cute, girlsy clothes without apology. She wants happy endings and nice nails, and romance etc. She's a good antidote to Barrons' too rich, too cynical, too sophisticated life.

And that, of course, is a big part of why Barrons is attracted to her.

Also, I love to way she keeps baiting Barrons - sometimes unknowingly and sometimes uncaringly - like she doesn't really know, and in some ways doesn't care (or is dying to see!) what happens if/when she pushes him too far. She's gutsy and naive enough to not defer to him, to not be too careful around him - and I can't wait to see what happens next!

miss lulu
09-21-2007, 12:18 PM
I don't think he is being disrespectful - I think he is trying to keep distance between them b/c he doesn't want to get too close, to be too informal. HE is trying to keep this "professional" and he doesn't want to admit that she is getting to him.

I never said he was disrespectful to Mac... and I also said that he wants to keep some distants with that is why he calls her Miss Lane. The moment he stars calling her Mac is when he true feelings for her will show.

Pyxie
09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Anyway, I think Mac is one of the most compelling female leads in all romance novel-dom! Do I "like" her? Not really, not yet. She's not my type of girlfriend at all. She's too girly, too cutesy, too shallow (outwardly), too obsessed with clothes, nails, appearances, etc. And honestly, I would never want to raid her closet - that much pink would make me ill.

But that's what's so great about her. She's not your typical, perfect, so sweet, so nice, so cute, etc heroine. I don't think she's a brat or spoiled - I think she's just lived a very sheltered life and is naive (but learning fast). She is used to a world where people are nice, where Mom and Dad are there for you, where the biggest challenge is figuring out what to wear to work or where to go for a date. And then her sister was brutually murdered and her world turned upside down. As someone mentioned earlier, a truly shallow person would not have reacted as passionately and decisively as she did as would never have survived this long (much less for four more books!).

Another thing I like about her is that she knows and likes who she is. She likes being miss small-town homecoming queen. She doesn't want to be rich and sophisticated like Barrons - she's simple and Southern and likes it that way. She wears her cute, girlsy clothes without apology. She wants happy endings and nice nails, and romance etc. She's a good antidote to Barrons' too rich, too cynical, too sophisticated life.

And that, of course, is a big part of why Barrons is attracted to her.

Also, I love to way she keeps baiting Barrons - sometimes unknowingly and sometimes uncaringly - like she doesn't really know, and in some ways doesn't care (or is dying to see!) what happens if/when she pushes him too far. She's gutsy and naive enough to not defer to him, to not be too careful around him - and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Wow Danielle well said! I have good verbal communication skills, but am somewhat lacking in the written aspect of it, I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words on paper (or posts)...I go off on tangients that aren't always on topic. But you have said it well.

I am in the camp that has had a hard time relating to Mac. But you have shed some light on her.

Mac is who she is. Period. She will not bend to JZB will like vapid Fio. I agree that this will be the perfect antidote for him. It will be refreshing, although it is driving him crazy now. :65:

Thanks again! *sigh of relief* I was getting a little worried that I wouldn't be able to finish the series, 'cause I was having such a hard time relating to her character!

Danielle42
09-21-2007, 01:29 PM
I never said he was disrespectful to Mac... and I also said that he wants to keep some distants with that is why he calls her Miss Lane. The moment he stars calling her Mac is when he true feelings for her will show.

No you didn't say disrespect - I think someone else did. And I heartily agree with the distance. Also "MISS" Lane sounds so innocent and unsophisticated- unlike him.

I love when he says something like "Mac - what a name for something like you". It sounds kind of tender, the way I imagine it. Like he's saying - how can someone seemingly soft and sweet and womanly like you have such a tough guy name like "Mac".

miss lulu
09-21-2007, 01:43 PM
No you didn't say disrespect - I think someone else did. And I heartily agree with the distance. Also "MISS" Lane sounds so innocent and unsophisticated- unlike him.

I love when he says something like "Mac - what a name for something like you". It sounds kind of tender, the way I imagine it. Like he's saying - how can someone seemingly soft and sweet and womanly like you have such a tough guy name like "Mac".

Very true!

But at the same time it weirds me out, because he saids something not someone. Maybe he already sees her as his at this point but he himself is unaware.

miss lulu
09-21-2007, 01:52 PM
OMG! In that strange accent! I'd love to hear it! *smiles* :happy0194:

Glad to make you laugh Claudia!:D

By the way you have one of my favorite character's name! *Hint* Anne Rice.

Danielle42
09-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Very true!

But at the same time it weirds me out, because he saids something not someone. Maybe he already sees her as his at this point but he himself is unaware.

Perhaps he says someTHING not to dehumanize her, but because he is aware of all the different types of things out there: Fae, human, Null, vampire, etc.

And she is certainly something unique!:03:

miss lulu
09-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Perhaps he says someTHING not to dehumanize her, but because he is aware of all the different types of things out there: Fae, human, Null, vampire, etc.

And she is certainly something unique!:03:

Yes, she is very unique, a null.

Thing and it are ways to describe, write or talk about an object (at times aliens & monsters too) not people so if he wanted to humanize her, he would have use someone, not something. So that is why I said his sees her as his already. Mac always says she is he oops.

And really, he should have shaved her legs...LOL

Danielle42
09-21-2007, 02:26 PM
And really, he should have shaved her legs...LOL

Whoa, could you picture that? Mac with her legs stretched out, covered in shaving cream, JZB caressing her with a...sharp blade.?

Hmm, there's all sorts of potential here, sexual and lethal LOL :happy0194:

Irish Crowe
09-21-2007, 07:03 PM
*hmmm* Well, JB has already called Mac "Mac" (when he was worried about her freaking out when the black book drove by). I don't think "something" is an insult. In fact, that's what guys say to me when they mean to flatter me, and my dad says it, too. "You sure are something else." You know, along those lines.

*manic grin* Sharp things have a lot of potential ... *heh heh heh*

miss lulu
09-21-2007, 07:09 PM
*hmmm* Well, JB has already called Mac "Mac" (when he was worried about her freaking out when the black book drove by). I don't think "something" is an insult. In fact, that's what guys say to me when they mean to flatter me, and my dad says it, too. "You sure are something else." You know, along those lines.

*manic grin* Sharp things have a lot of potential ... *heh heh heh*

I agree

Danielle42
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Here's another interesting hint about Mac, from KMM's Amazon interveiw:

If backed to a wall I'd say Mac is one part George from Dead Like Me, one part Sara Pezzini from Witchblade and one part sweet southern belle who's being forced to discover there's steel under all that magnolia, after all.

As for her interactions with V'lane and JZB:

Mac is a continuing heroine, on a critical mission, who gets caught in a dangerous love-lust triangle with two of the most seductive men Iíve written to date.

claudia celestial girl
09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Mac is a continuing heroine, on a critical mission, who gets caught in a dangerous love-lust triangle with two of the most seductive men I’ve written to date.

hmmm ... does that mean that JB and V'Lane have a 'thing' going too? ;-)

MeShelle
09-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Great basically she is going to get "involved" with JZB and V'Lane. I dont know why but i dont like that idea...

Danielle42
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Great basically she is going to get "involved" with JZB and V'Lane. I dont know why but i dont like that idea...

I kinda like it. The idea of getting intimate with V'lane gives me the creeps but I like the idea of her stringing both of these powerful arrogrant men along. Take 'em both down a notch or two...

And then end up with JZB, I hope!

krstis
09-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Sounds like we're going to get to know V'lane a whole lot better. And Claudia, I don't think it's a three-way that way (at least I hope not). But it makes me wonder if V'lane has the same effect on men. It seems plausible that female fae would have the same effect on men, or certain female fae. I wonder if that's where JB got his cuffs? Just a thought --thought I'd throw it out there.

Pyxie
09-24-2007, 12:22 PM
hmmm ... does that mean that JB and V'Lane have a 'thing' going too? ;-)

OMG! LMAO! hmm... :happy0194: Claudia, you are too funny!

miss lulu
09-25-2007, 11:06 AM

I do not like that idea either!!!

jrbostock
09-25-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't like it either but I bet it will speed things up with her and JB when he realizes that she is interested in V'lane also, and THAT I like!!