PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

melissa
09-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Reviving an old trend here - and hoping that no one feels like their toes are being stepped on, I thought I would ask what everyone is reading for this weekend?

FaeFever is out and most of us gobbled it up - so now what is in your TBR pile this weekend? Anything new and exciting?

I am reading John Sandford's Dark of the Moon. I love, love, love his Lucas Davenport books but this is a new series he has started with a detective named Virgil Flowers (what a name!!) - so far I am really liking it.

Jenn
09-26-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm in the midst of reading the Dark-Hunter series. Right now I'm about to begin "Kiss of the Night" (only the 5th book, I think).

maryjane
09-26-2008, 01:41 PM
I started reading Stephenie Meyers New Moon, but haven't been able to get past the first few chapters. I think I need a change, something different, and then perhaps go back to New Moon.

PeachesNCream
09-26-2008, 02:02 PM
It'll depend on what tickles my fancy when I'm at the store this afternoon :th_nod: I've got a list, 2 pages long, of things I want to read...with four kids who knows when I'll get through it all :snick:

jeant
09-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Outlander--Jamie Fraser lives!!!! had to take a break, going back and read FF-I loved the book, but it was a hard read for me.

bunchesofluv22
09-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Well I'm just now able to read FF! I've had it since monday, but school has kept me from reading it.
I'm also in the middle of Ireland by Frank Delaney. I'll start that back up once I finish FF.

Beckie
09-26-2008, 02:17 PM
im just finishing christine feehans dark curse then im starting sherrylyn kenyons acheron cant wait ive saved it for this weekend so i can devour it in one go.:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Melorn
09-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Bram Stoker's Dracula, and i've already started it :)

imogenee
09-26-2008, 02:48 PM
new author: vicki pettersson... urban/paranormal fiction with some romance element not really central... don't know yet whether i'd really recommend it... some parts of it are very emotionally compelling, some are too violent/drastic... and then some of it just comes across sort of slap-sticky or tongue in cheek...

jeca
09-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series, I'm on the 8th book....man, I can read one a night but i try to pace myself 'cause I don't want to finish the series so fast. I LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!:snick:

Dageus'Lass
09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Sherryl Woods- Feels like Family ( The Sweet Magnolias Trilogy)

Liberty
09-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I haven't read FaeFever yet, I have so much going on right now that I just don't have the time but I really want to. Must restrain myself. But I plan on buying the book so I'll at least have it.

I'm currently reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It's suppose to be a good story, so much so they made it into a movie. I just started it a few days ago.
We're studying the development process of nonfiction novel writing so my professor is having us read it and break down the writing style to see how Capote puts his pieces together.

FeverChick
09-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm reading currlculum guides for teaching and reference encyclopedias for my grad class. Urg...I'd rather be reading romance

savage_mac
09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I am re-reading the Harry Potter books! I love to go back to them every once in a while.:smile:

ginaj
09-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm reading Surrender by Pam Clare. It's been a while since I read a historical romance. (sigh) I love Highlanders.....

Anita
09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Outlander!!!!!!!!!!!

dawnab19
09-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Silent Thunder by: Iris Johansen/Roy Johansen

I really like her suspense books. I needed something new to read and found this in the library.............yeah Im broke and need to stay away from the book store until next week. I really want to read Charlaine Harris's From Dead To Worse

kentspumpkin
09-26-2008, 10:34 PM
well i picked up a book called midnight awaking (i think that was what it was called) it is by lara adrain. i started reading it and figured out it was the third book in the series. it was good so far but i out it down so i could find the first in the series and start from the begining. from what i read so far i think you ladies interested in BDB will want to look at this series. but i have not read it yet so dont quote me, just what i gathered from the amount that i read.

MissAmy
09-26-2008, 11:41 PM
I should be reading short stories for my English class but instead I'm reading Jenna Black's Devil You Know and my obsession Ghost Hunter Guidebook by Troy Taylor

Meche
09-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Im reading nothing cause i banned the bookstore!:realmad:

MissAmy
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Im reading nothing cause i banned the bookstore!:realmad:

Meche, I have this odd question.. How did you ban the bookstore?

Meche
09-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Meche, I have this odd question.. How did you ban the bookstore?

Very easy!!!! I assure you.

MissAmy
09-27-2008, 12:24 AM
I was thinking the store banned you.. But I think you mean boycott the bookstore

Sassy Lassie
09-27-2008, 12:30 AM
No she meant banned...ya know like when you ban chocolate cuz you have had wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much??? I'm not sure you can boycott chocolate....

MissAmy
09-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Got it..

Sassy Lassie
09-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Dangit I knew there was a reason I came to the thread...to talk about SK's Dark Hunter series...I just finished up Dark Embrace (omg Talon!!! love him!!) and will be starting the next in the series when I head to bed. They are amazing!

melissa
09-27-2008, 12:46 AM
You banned the bookstore Meche - as in you were spending too much there or have too much in your TBR pile and so are not allowing yourself to go? Or being banned - as in your misbehaved in there and they kicked you out?

*gasp* please tell me you didn't take flaming hoops to your bookstore!

Meche
09-27-2008, 12:51 AM
You banned the bookstore Meche - as in you were spending too much there or have too much in your TBR pile and so are not allowing yourself to go? Or being banned - as in your misbehaved in there and they kicked you out?

*gasp* please tell me you didn't take flaming hoops to your bookstore!

How do you know me so well? Yes I took flamin hoops to the bookstore!:wlaugh:

melissa
09-27-2008, 01:02 AM
No wonder you have been banned! psst - books are flammable!

Meche
09-27-2008, 01:17 AM
No wonder you have been banned! psst - books are flammable!

Yes they didnt like it one bit! But i burned nothing I swear! It was just a lil trick aries can do.....and he wanted to do it at the book store!:biglaugh:

mandy
09-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Thank you for bringing this thread back up Melissa, I love reading what people are reading for the weekend!

Outlander--Jamie Fraser lives!!!! had to take a break, going back and read FF-I loved the book, but it was a hard read for me.

I know what you mean Jeant, I want to reread it, but i can't right away.

I'm in between books and I don't know what I'm in the mood for, does this happen to anyone else??

I reserved a book in the library and they rang to say it's in, so I'll pop up there and see what is up there

Jenney
09-27-2008, 11:36 AM
well I just finished FF and I am slowly melting:th_cry:...I figure by the time Dreamfever is released I should be in the crazy house having my pudding fed to me while sitting with my machalo on chanting happy birthday JZB:th_crazy1:.......So I am going to start reading the Twilight series now..I can't believe I never read any of these books!

QueenBoadica
09-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Skin: A Natural History by Nina C. Jablonski
The Masters and the Slaves: A Study in the Development of Brazilian Civilization by Gilberto Freye
The Sambia: Ritual, Sexuality and Change in Papua New Guinea by Gilbert Herdt

Yeah, you know you all want to read them!

Viking Princess
09-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Currently I am reading:

Moby Dick by Hermen Melville
The Storm by Kate Chopin
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Darkfever by KMM
The Prose Merlin
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
and
The Vampire's Seduction by Raven Hart

this is why i never get anything done. I am reading WAY too much at one time. :wno:

squarepegroundhole
09-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Thank you for bringing back this, oldie but a goodie, question.:60:

I am currently rereading The Immortal Highlander, and I must say that I am finding some interesting theories pop into my head now that I am deep into the Fever series.

Lovebugg
09-27-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm reading Lover Awakened! I can't wait to finish it...I love the BDB!

Conoga
09-27-2008, 01:54 PM
i'm reading The Saxon Shore (its a Jack Whyte series i'm clinging to in order to keep from losing my mind while waiting for KMM to finish the next book)
at the same time i'm starting Herodotus's The Histories.

Saxon Shore is night time reading and The Histories are for day time when i can spare a moment during naps or errands.

Moneshine
09-27-2008, 06:32 PM
in the last time ive read many books with the fantasy erotic style....:wbiggrin:

Nalini Singhs "slave to sensation" and "visions of heat" (dont know who i like more Lucas or Vaughn):jiggy:
Marjorie M. Lius "Tiger Eye" and "Shadow Touch" :s9:
Lori Handelands "Blue Moon" and "Hunters Moon" ( i love Will!!! so i had to draw the pic) :s11:and Karens books .
Do you know they? We in germany have to wait for the translations..... that sucks... :arghhh:

Alana
09-27-2008, 07:31 PM
After enjoying the Kevin McKidd post in the Porterhouse I'm in the mood for some Scots. So Jamie Fraser it is then!

I'm still waiting on my amazon order - Kiss of Fire by Deborah Cooke (dragon shape-shifters sound good to me) and Highland Moonlight by Teresa J Reasor

Conoga
09-27-2008, 07:56 PM
After enjoying the Kevin McKidd post in the Porterhouse I'm in the mood for some Scots. So Jamie Fraser it is then!

I'm still waiting on my amazon order - Kiss of Fire by Deborah Cooke (dragon shape-shifters sound good to me) and Highland Moonlight by Teresa J Reasor

i'll have to see if i can find these, the titles alone sound interesting!

Sue71
09-27-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm reading Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire hunter series.

Ooolala! But when I'm done with that I don't know what to read. I've read SK's series, Christine Feehan. Are there any more good series like these?

CandiD.
09-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I picked up a book at Wal-Mart today to read tonight while my hubby and his friends watch the game, "Highland Barbarian' by Hannah Howell, but haven't started it yet. Maybe tomorrow. Can't get Fever characters off the brain just yet...:arghhh:

Miradan
09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I'm trying to expand the number of classics I have under my belt, and this story has always appealed to me.

melissa
09-27-2008, 10:45 PM
I tried to do that once Miradan - felt like I should read the classics as an adult, just because. Only I could not get into them. I wonder who decides what constitutes a classic. Does it have to be long and boring to be classic? Or just wordy and hard to comprehend? I don't know - in any case, I gave up after slogging through Moby Dick and War and Peace. Good luck on your quest!

Sweet Angel
09-28-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm re-reading LL's breed series and a couple of other books. Yeah, I'm always reading lots of books at the same time.:wlaugh:

imogenee
09-28-2008, 03:15 PM
well I just finished FF and I am slowly melting:th_cry:...I figure by the time Dreamfever is released I should be in the crazy house having my pudding fed to me while sitting with my machalo on chanting happy birthday JZB:th_crazy1:.......

wow! that's sad... i'll see you there.

try "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer too, it was excellent.

deadman
09-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm about to start the Stephanie Meyer series.....my friend wants to discuss it.

MoningRocks
09-28-2008, 08:21 PM
I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the Twilight series. Besides, I love vampire stuff. Honestly, I made myself get into Twilight. The first half was kinda hard to get into I thought but the 2nd half was better. I could only stomach so many high school scenes. The 2nd book was really good I thought b/c I really like the character Jacob more than the main guy. 3rd book is Eclipse, I only finished 1/3 of it prob. Too lazy to pick it back up. Basically, I think it's an OK series but that's about it. Def not KMM! I still want to see the movie though!

melissa
09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm about to start the Stephanie Meyer series.....my friend wants to discuss it.

You are a good man, Deadman. I don't think I could read the series, just so that I could discuss it with a friend. I am not into vampires.

MoningRocks
09-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I enjoy reading Kresley Cole and Christine Feehan's Carpathian series. At least most of her series. Other than that my heart is really totally with Karen :notworthy:so I just pick up things that look good while I am grocery shopping or wanding through the bookstore.

deadman
09-28-2008, 08:29 PM
You are a good man, Deadman. I don't think I could read the series, just so that I could discuss it with a friend. I am not into vampires.

Thanks Melissa!:wbiggrin:

KJTVH
09-28-2008, 08:43 PM

Hey, I'd like to know what you think of it from a guy's POV! I havent' read the series myself, not into vamps, but my husband mentioned possibly reading the series. If it's any good, I'll make a deal with him -- I'll buy him the series if he'll read the Fever series first!

deadman
09-28-2008, 08:46 PM
I'll let you know. Haven't started it yet...but I need to read at least part by thursday to talk to my friend.

Mysticfairy08
09-28-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm Jealous! I'm reading College Accounting, HIPAA, Word 2007, and Medical Coding. I will say that I put all school work aside for the few hours (yeah I read really fast) it took to read FF. Hey I do have my priorities! LOL Now I have to buckle back down and do school work, plus I start my new job tomorrow...I'm so nervous!!! Anyway I'm not reading anything good.:wno:

Maria
09-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter

Esther Marie
09-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Noah by Jacquelyn Frank

mandy
09-29-2008, 06:56 AM
I decided to go with reading the Fiery Cross again by DG and try and get it finished this time.

Narwen Lothluin
09-29-2008, 07:13 AM
I am reading "Queen of the Darkness" by Anne Bishop. :jiggy:

mandy
09-29-2008, 07:42 AM
I am reading "Queen of the Darkness" by Anne Bishop. :jiggy:

Oh I LOVE Anne Bishop!!

Have you read her Belladona series?

lesaleer
09-29-2008, 05:50 PM
..OMG u maniacs have me HOOKED to DG!!!! I LOVE Jaime!!!!

okay so I only have..........5 or 6 more books to go!!!

That should keep me (HAPPILY) preoccupied till DMF!!!!!

I love this series, thanks guys for the recommendation!!! U all Rock!! :60:

WeeJamie
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I can't seem to concentrate right now so I'm doing Soduko.

susan h
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Outlander!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite book. :notworthy::notworthy:

mandy
09-30-2008, 05:10 AM
..OMG u maniacs have me HOOKED to DG!!!! I LOVE Jaime!!!!

okay so I only have..........5 or 6 more books to go!!!

That should keep me (HAPPILY) preoccupied till DMF!!!!!

I love this series, thanks guys for the recommendation!!! U all Rock!! :60:

Yeay!! We converted another one!

melissa
09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
I can't seem to concentrate right now so I'm doing Soduko.

You can't concentrate so you are doing Soduko? LOL - it takes more thinking to do that than to read, for me anyway.

My boss is one of the smartest people I know and I was trying to teach him how to Soduko the other day - funniest thing ever! For a guy who "gets" math - he could not figure out the patterns. Hilarious!!

jeca
09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Right now I'm reading SK's Dark-Hunter series. Just finished Acheron, now i'm waiting for the next release in a month. I think I'm also going to start the Outlander series, I've heard so many good things about it and it should keep me pretty busy until DMF comes out.....

Joanne_BookAddict
09-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I just finished rereading Lover Unbound by JR Ward and I've started Anne Rice's Tale of the body thief

Mr. Edwards
09-30-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not much of a reader. I picked through a Lora Leigh book. Other than that I only read what Hailey sits in front of me.

Debbie_D
09-30-2008, 05:23 PM
you should read KMM and the brothers too

QueenBoadica
06-27-2009, 05:37 PM
L.J. Smith's The Vampire Diaries The Awakening and The Struggle.

CatK
06-27-2009, 05:59 PM
i've read some new stuff that I really liked but you have to be kind of into that kinda thing:
Dante Valentine series Lillith Saintcrow, the first book is called working for the devil
and Night Shift, Hunter's Prayer are part of her new series :):):)
enjoy!
she kicks butt

Jen0728
06-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Night World (Vol 1- Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness, Spellbinder) - LJ Smith

katydid
06-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm re-reading The Arcane Society books by Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick.

Viking Princess
06-27-2009, 11:30 PM
woot at the LJS readers :P

I am reading Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and tuesday will be reading Hidden Currents by Christine Feehan!

Apryl
06-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Kiss of Heat by Lora Leigh

CelticMorwen
06-27-2009, 11:43 PM
There's nothing worse than being stuck sick in bed with nothing to read!!! I finished Salvation In Death by J.D. Robb and went searching in my library, where I found some of my old writing and decided one or two of my old stories were pretty damned amusing. next goal is to get the new Preston/Child book.

KJTVH
06-28-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm working my way through Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series -- only on book 2 since work and family events have interfered with my reading!!

Natresse
06-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I just finished Janet Evanovich's Plum Spooky and Finger Lickin Fifteen yesterday.

I've finally collected all of Katie MacAlister's Moravian Dark ones books so i'm starting on that today. I'm on the first chapter of "A girls Guide to Vampires"

I'm also part way through 'The Angel Craved Lobster' by Shirley Jump, it's been sitting in my TBR for about a year...

ctowne06
06-28-2009, 10:15 AM
i'm reading The Immortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare!! they're very good!!

bluedragonfly81
06-28-2009, 10:34 AM
right now I'm reading

If You Dare by Kresley Cole and Lover Unbound J. R. Ward! two great books!!! Gotta make up for lost reading time :snick:

FaeLady
06-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Just finished Hot Six - Janet Evanovich

Andreea81
06-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I want to start reading " Wicked Lovely" by Melissa Marr, except I'm lingering with my 4th rereading of "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins....I'm obssessed with this book....trully..I keep rereading it, I can't put it down.
I also read "Storm Front" Jim Butcher, this week.

Justary
06-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Darkness chosen Series by Christina Dood.

Jill
06-29-2009, 07:48 AM
I just finished the most recent installment of The Mistress of the Art of Death series entitled Grave Goods. The next three books in my "To Be Read" pile are:
The River Wife by Jonis Agee
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

I am also planing on rereading the Study Series and the Fever Series before August 18! I have a schedule all mapped out! Beat THAT for nerdiness, *Jo*!!!:wlaugh:

mandy
06-29-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm reading Lover Avenged (finally) and Rachels Holiday

Debbie_D
06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Just finished Storm Front by Jim Butcher and Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland. Great reads!

Starting Kissing Midnight by Emma Holly tonight.

jeant
06-29-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm reading The Crusade by Robyn Young. The first in the series is The Brethern. It's a story of the Templars, it is a very riveting series; I don't pick it up unless I have hours in front of me because I get lost in these books. I have also reread the Fever series except for the Fae, getting to it next week. A few little cute quickies in between.

FaeLady
06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
I want to start reading " Wicked Lovely" by Melissa Marr, except I'm lingering with my 4th rereading of "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins....I'm obssessed with this book....trully..I keep rereading it, I can't put it down.
I also read "Storm Front" Jim Butcher, this week.

OH I love The Hunger Games!! I can't wait for Catching Fire!!!