PDA

View Full Version : Last Week...

Apryl
11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Okay, so last week I was supposed to work night shift for a variety of different reasons. That didn't happen. I didn't work at all. I had the nastiest virus I have ever had in my entire life. I laid in my bed, or on my couch for 6 days straight and I was completely miserable. I was so sick, I couldn't even bring myself to turn on my computer and sign on here! *gasp*

Anyway, it allowed me to catch up on some DVD's tha I have had laying around, waiting for me to watch, and some new ones that my loving mother brought to me to help me pass my time. (Melissa, you should be getting the Bones DVD's soon. Thanks QB they were great!).

Well one of the DVD's I watched was Indy Jones (the last one). I am not going to give away any spoilers. But there is a scene with the GIANT ants! Well, not so giant really, but they were man eating. Back to my point, it comes to the scene with the ants and I have to look away. (Did I mention that part of the virus was some of the worst nausea that I have ever experienced?) So I am sitting on my couch kinda turned sideways with my legs streched out in front of me on the other couch cushions and I turn my head toward the back of the couch so I don't have to look at the nasty ants.

Let me preface this next part by saying that bugs and I don't get along. I don't care how harmless or good for the enviroment they are. If they are in the house with me and I see them, I am going to kill them, if I can't find someone else to do it for me. I really don't like to be within arm's length of them for fear that they might find a way to get on me. EWWWWW!! I would have to say that my phobia of bugs is second only to Viking Pincess's.

Back to my story, so I turn my head, and what do I see on the back of my couch, less than a foot from my face, but a cave cricket. Now this is what we call them here, I am not sure what the real name for them is, and I don't care. For those of you who have never seen one, this is what they look like...

http://www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/gs2003/assets/images/camel_cricket.jpg

Yep, yep, they look like a freaking spider and they range from the size of the tip of your finger to as big as the palm of your hand!!!

So, I have adjusted my sleep so that I am awake at night and it's about 4 am when I see this. I started screaming my head off. My brother, who lives with me, comes running out of his bedroom, thinking that we are being broken into and is pissed off when he finds out it's (in his words) "just" a bug. What ever!

tsukino_aiko
11-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I would (and have) screamed to, I am pretty terrified of bugs, I can kill htem myself if I have to but I told my BF that part of his vows are going to be
" I promise to love, honor, cherish and kill all insects that come within 100 feet of you, so longas we both shall live"

Jenn
11-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh dear God! LOL, I would have done the same thing!!! And I wouldn't have gone near the couch for two weeks, LOL.

mysticmisty
11-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I would have done the same thing!

Apryl
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I would (and have) screamed to, I am pretty terrified of bugs, I can kill htem myself if I have to but I told my BF that part of his vows are going to be
" I promise to love, honor, cherish and kill all insects that come within 100 feet of you, so longas we both shall live"

LMAO!!! I will have to remember that if I ever get married! And what is so bad about them is that unlike a regular bug that you can just squish, when you try to kill these, they jump, and it never fails that they jump AT you rather than away. *shivers* It's horrible!

melissa
11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Poor Apryl!

Sick and being invaded by crickets. How did you ever survive? Your story reminds me of the story Dave Matthews tells about a friend of his who caught a cricket in the house and put it in the toilet, but didn't flush, just dropped the lid. Then got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, only to feel something moving across his tush as he was sitting there. Crickets never die - and they always jump right at you!!

I hope your brother killed the darn thing for you - and that you are feeling back to normal.

Apryl
11-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Poor Apryl!

Sick and being invaded by crickets. How did you ever survive? Your story reminds me of the story Dave Matthews tells about a friend of his who caught a cricket in the house and put it in the toilet, but didn't flush, just dropped the lid. Then got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, only to feel something moving across his tush as he was sitting there. Crickets never die - and they always jump right at you!!

I hope your brother killed the darn thing for you - and that you are feeling back to normal.

Yes, after grumbling about being gotten up by crazy women, he killed it. And I am feeling much better. I feel like I could sleep for the next week, but I am feeling much much better!

melissa
11-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey - he is living in your house. He should not be calling you a crazy woman - or complaining that he has to kill the bugs. That is what men (even brothers!) are there for. Well, one of the things they are there for.

Apryl
11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
That's what I told him. He was there to kill bugs, do yard work, and work on my car when needed. Apparently he hadn't realized that yet.

MissAmy
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Poor Apryl..I'm glad you at least got rid of it

Lana
11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have had the same reaction!! :wlaugh:

MelanieD
11-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Eww Apryl. I remember that ant scene well - though for an arachnaphobe the spider scene in the first movie was far worse - but it kinda puts you on edge an makes your skin crawl doesn't it?! And then to turn around and see the cricket! :eek: I probably would have shrieked. I'm not phobic of crickets as I am of spiders but in that state of mind anything would freek me out!

That is a truly brilliant plan. I like a lot! :th_Clap5:

Viking Princess
11-03-2008, 07:08 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and EEEEEEEEEEEW!!!

CaveGirl
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Poor Apryl!

I was thinking the same thing!!

in our old ghetto (and i do mean ghetttttoooooo) apt here in stl in college, i found a centipede in our bathroom at about 4am when i was getting up for work. now i can kill smaller bugs but those things scare the &%$#@!*^% out of me. my poor bf (hubby now) got woken up to come kill it and he just grumbles at me. the next day there was another one in the sink and i thought i was going to have a panic attack just looking at it. so mike had to kill it when he got home....i covered the entire sink in plastic wrap....he was not amused :wno:

jayzee
11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm right there with you on the bug thing. HATE THEM!!! I have seen quite a few of those cricket things in my basement ...have to work on getting the "bug perimeter of death" set up around the house. At least you had someone there to it kill it for you ...even if he did complain.

Sky28
11-04-2008, 03:40 AM
It is such a cute grasshopper. Thanks for sharing this beautiful pic.
:snick:
SCNR

Apryl
11-04-2008, 06:53 AM
I was thinking the same thing!!

in our old ghetto (and i do mean ghetttttoooooo) apt here in stl in college, i found a centipede in our bathroom at about 4am when i was getting up for work. now i can kill smaller bugs but those things scare the &%$#@!*^% out of me. my poor bf (hubby now) got woken up to come kill it and he just grumbles at me. the next day there was another one in the sink and i thought i was going to have a panic attack just looking at it. so mike had to kill it when he got home....i covered the entire sink in plastic wrap....he was not amused :wno:

LMAO!!! I have gone so far as, when I couldn't find any bug spray and no one else was at the house, using hairspray on them. Did you know that if you get enough spray on them, when it drys it stiffens up and they can't move. It makes them much easier to kill. Of course I am still shaking, afraid that they are going to break out of their sticky state and "get" me!

It is such a cute grasshopper. Thanks for sharing this beautiful pic.
:snick:
SCNR

Har, har, har. You are too funny! NOT!!!