PDA

View Full Version : This is why I want a Mac!

Pyxie
02-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I have a 2 Dells, and the motherboard has gone out on one. Since it's under warranty, the have to send out a tech to install the board. I got my mother board from FedEx 3 days ago. But because I live in a remote area (40 mile comute), the tech that is supposed to install it keeps putting me off. So I called Dell, and told them that I am fully capable of installing the board, if they want to help walk me through it. BUT, because it is under warranty they won't do this, never mind the fact that when I was originally on the phone with tech support, I had the computer completely opened and gutted while we were trying to determine what the problem was! I have been on the phone for two days and I am getting really volatile. :arghhh:

Thanks for listening to my vent!!

-^-Lin-^-
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I have known people who consider themselves fairly computer lit blow a new MB putting it in, and have to go buy another! I do know that if it was a OEM version of Vista and not XP the OS is tied to the MB so would have made things a lot more complicated so is a good job you went with XP!.

Pyxie
02-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I boycott Vista, No Vista! LOL. You are always the voice of reason, Lin. I have installed a couple mother boards on a HP that I had a while back, but you are right, If I blow the MB, then the warranty is void, and I'm responsible for replacing it again! *sighs* I'm not the worlds most patient person though.

-^-Lin-^-
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
well the problem is they don't consider a pc as essential! At least you have another one to use while you wait. Just keep calling them but not that many times the guy is scared to come LOL

The only dealings I have had with Appple is my Macbook screen dropped a fault line the first time I turned it on, so had to send it back and they sent out another the next day, but no experience of after sales service luckily.

jubilee
02-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I have heard a lot of good things about Macs, especially bootcamp, which allows you to use microsoft stuff on it. But I'm so used to PC's & their right click lol

I hate calling tech support. Most of the time they're jerks. You're probably better off googling how to install a motherboard for that model or finding it on youtube.

Snow
02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I hope everything will be fixed soon!
I've had a lot of problems when i first got my computer & I was about to bite everyone's head off... no discrimination!!:snick:I know how you feel you wanna have everything up & running in two seconds flat :skeptical:
But sometimes it pays off to practice our patience ... and this is coming from the queen of impatience:wlaugh:

redheadgirl79
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Good luck on your computer. Luckily enough my tech support is my BIL. Anyway I can tell you I know how frusterating it is. My DH decided one year that he wanted to build his own computer, he boycotts all of the major computer brands and the only then Dell on our computer is our Monitor. Anyway early last year the power supply decided to go out on us, so we thought oh well we'll just get a new one and everything will be all right. Little did we know that when the PS went out it took out both the mother board and the hard drive together so my DH had to go online and research the best HD's and MB's to buy to replace the ones we had. Then when he finally decided on what to buy he wanted to wait until my BIL was here to do the installs. The only problem was my BIL lives two states away and he had decided to visit us (well before all of this) but he wasn't coming until about a month later. So we were without a computer for about a month and a half. The bad thing is that with the new MB Vista came with it. I've decided that I really don't like it too much, waaaayyyyy to buggy. Unfortunately my DH is very anti-MAC and refuses to even say that word in our house.

hawolleen
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't personally know how you feel but while visiting my parents this summer, my dad had problems with earthlink and their high speed and they came out 3 times while we were there (10 days) and then several more times after that. My dad kept telling them (less and less nicely!) what they needed to do and they wouldn't listen. Guess what? It ended up being exactly what he said!!!! LOL
I, so far, have been able to do all my own stuff. I had a virus which I fixed and then the hard drive blew and I installed a DVD/RW. Thankfully, I haven't needed a tech for any of that.
Good luck, and if they don't cooperate............get nasty! :anim_soapbox-vi::anim_devil-vi:

squarepegroundhole
02-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I hear ya Pyxie! I am so over the whole PC nation. When my HP pukes I am so headed to the Apple store.

Stellarkismet
02-04-2009, 11:11 PM
That really sucks and it is very annoying that the tech doesn't just get his butt over there and install it for ya. About wanting a Mac, I was never very fond of them until having to use my sisters for the time I've spent staying with her. Once you get a little used to it I must say they are really quite nice. I miss being able to use my HP laptop though. Just felt like chiming in...

Amanda Rose
02-04-2009, 11:42 PM
That sucks! I understand where you are coming from. I live 30 minutes from town so when a tech is supposed to come out and look at any problems we have they always drop us last because we are out of their way.

I just bought a Mac over the summer. I previously had a Toshiba that I loved but it was sadly outdated and the computer guy told me I couldn't upgrade it anymore, that the last time he did it that would be the max. My old laptop did only about 40 gb so it was time for a new one. I didn't want a Mac at first having never used one. But I had so many problems with my old laptop I figured if I was going to spend the money, go all out. The first week or two I had my Mac I hated it. I really considered bringing it back. After using it though I became comfortable with it and I love it now. I still have a lot to learn about the different setup but for all the basic things I do pretty well.

Wish you the best of luck with your computer!! :smile:

Wildernessgirl
02-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I think I might have mentioned this already but I was very impressed with tech support with Apple. If you get an Apple sign up for warranty plane which includes free 24 hr 7 day a week tech support. They weren't able to fix problem but were very friendly and no wait time on phone trying to speak to human being. My brother was able to help me over phone. He's a Mac genius and used to work for Apple. I was impressed as well that Apple sent me a survery to fill regarding my experience with tech support day after I called. Everyone else I know loves Mac and how Apple runs their buisness.

Good Luck with Dell. It sounds frustrating!

Pyxie
02-06-2009, 12:07 AM
I think I might have mentioned this already but I was very impressed with tech support with Apple. If you get an Apple sign up for warranty plane which includes free 24 hr 7 day a week tech support. They weren't able to fix problem but were very friendly and no wait time on phone trying to speak to human being. My brother was able to help me over phone. He's a Mac genius and used to work for Apple. I was impressed as well that Apple sent me a survery to fill regarding my experience with tech support day after I called. Everyone else I know loves Mac and how Apple runs their buisness.

Good Luck with Dell. It sounds frustrating!

It's been extremely frustrating,:arghhh: and I have definitely been listening to your comments on Mac tech support. :th_nod: You have all been very helpful in that department. I will be getting a Mac soon. No more PC's for me!! LOL.