PDA

View Full Version : Mac first meets Barrons

Saintme
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok I'm new, and someone's probably already mentioned these questions, but here I go:
Question the first: In Darkfever, did it seem awfully coincidental that Mac got lost in a fog and stumbled right into BB&B? And that, despite the listing of the DB in a generic history book, Fiona assumed Mac was looking for it just because she mentioned it? Could it be that maybe Barrons put a spell on the bookstore to attract anyone who could help him find it? Being all magic & stuff.

Question 2 (Don't hurt me VP, I'm on your side. Actually, I'd take any KMM's heroes, so I'm neutral.): How does V'Lane know what Mac was like when she first got to Ireland? How does Barrons know she needed help since the day she set foot there? Both seem to have been watching longer than they say.

Question the third: At the end of Darkfever, Mac sees Barrons In the sun. She's injured, but she mentions that her eye was going in and out, and barrons kept turning to shadows. Now, the description of her injuries specify that Mac's eye was not injured-just her cheek below it. So she saw Barrons in the sun, and Barrons was shadows.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere. Cuz I'm frogging stumped.:nah::nah:

snowstorm
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Ok I'm new, and someone's probably already mentioned these questions, but here I go:
Question the first: In Darkfever, did it seem awfully coincidental that Mac got lost in a fog and stumbled right into BB&B? And that, despite the listing of the DB in a generic history book, Fiona assumed Mac was looking for it just because she mentioned it? Could it be that maybe Barrons put a spell on the bookstore to attract anyone who could help him find it? Being all magic & stuff.

Question 2 (Don't hurt me VP, I'm on your side. Actually, I'd take any KMM's heroes, so I'm neutral.): How does V'Lane know what Mac was like when she first got to Ireland? How does Barrons know she needed help since the day she set foot there? Both seem to have been watching longer than they say.

Question the third: At the end of Darkfever, Mac sees Barrons In the sun. She's injured, but she mentions that her eye was going in and out, and barrons kept turning to shadows. Now, the description of her injuries specify that Mac's eye was not injured-just her cheek below it. So she saw Barrons in the sun, and Barrons was shadows.

Interesting questions?
I think QA is setting up events to put Mac in the right place to connect with JB.

And V'lane knows that Mac is in Dublin, cause he's watching JB.

What page was the info about JB being in the sun, cause it been noted that he is never in the sun. It would be nice to know for sure that he can be, since it would confirm what he isn't.:th_nod:

Saintme
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm at work, so I can't give a page #, but in the end of DF, when Mac goes into the dark zone by herself, it has to be day or she'd get eaten. Same when she goes into the warehouse. Barrons fights Malluce while Mac watches after she gets beat up, again in a shade-occupied area, so it must be daylight, cuz she's not eaten. Plus I think it mentions the sun once or twice (not sure about this part). Then Mac talks about how her eye seems to be going out, because on one side of the fight, she sees Barrons and then shadows where Barrons was. At first I thought it was because she was injured, but if you read carefully, that's not the case.
Also, another thought just struck me-Barrons' windows in the garage are painted black. So are the windows in the house in the dark zone, and funny enough, Alina's appointment book disappears when Barrons is the only one who could have taken it. (I don't think it really fell out when she was fighting; I think it had Barron's name in it and he took it while she was unconscious).

Also, I thought the fog was QA too, but I'm reconsidering. Barrons seems to think Mac getting hurt is his fault, which is maybe cuz he killed Alina (not sure I really believe that), but from the questions both ask when Mac stumbles into the store, I think they were waiting for someone and confused when it was her.
Sorry for the long post. It's been building for a while. Karen is a genius.

snowstorm
03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Then Mac talks about how her eye seems to be going out, because on one side of the fight, she sees Barrons and then shadows where Barrons was. At first I thought it was because she was injured, but if you read carefully, that's not the case.

I think her vision was going in and out because her eye was injured and she was fadeing in and out of consciousness. Mac later says

My right eye was swollen completely shut.

No sun that I could find.
Mac left BB&B around noon, traveled 18 blocks, searched the house, looked at pictures, spyed on the LM and then fought them. So I think it was almost dark by that time.
The only light I could find was from the Dolmen when it was openned and cast a dark light.

The light in the warehouse brightened and became lighter somehow and the US began casting shadows again. But it doesn't say where the light came from.:wno:

Saintme
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
That's what I thought, too. But her vision went out in one eye, and (only) Barrons went all shadowy and then reappeared. Yes, her eye was swollen shut later, but the injury was to her cheek. Not her eye. Her vision should have been fine (until she passed out). Also, it was definitely daylight, because Mac was creeping around a Dark Zone, and she couldn't have moved around if shades were around, which they would have been if it were evening. I couldn't find a mention of the sun, either, so I may have been remembering the dolmen light, but I'm sticking by my theory anyway. Out of sheer stubborness, mostly, cuz you do make good points.:swoon:

snowstorm
03-23-2009, 02:56 PM
That's what I thought, too. But her vision went out in one eye, and (only) Barrons went all shadowy and then reappeared. Yes, her eye was swollen shut later, but the injury was to her cheek. Not her eye. Her vision should have been fine (until she passed out). Also, it was definitely daylight, because Mac was creeping around a Dark Zone, and she couldn't have moved around if shades were around, which they would have been if it were evening. I couldn't find a mention of the sun, either, so I may have been remembering the dolmen light, but I'm sticking by my theory anyway. Out of sheer stubborness, mostly, cuz you do make good points.:swoon:

That's what's fun about this forum. There are so so many things that JB, Mac, V'lane and others can be that we wont know for sure until maybe the end of Shadowfever. :swoon: Of course by that time who knows what kind of shape we'll be in.:wacko:

It's always good to have a fresh point of view.:60:

Saintme
03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
It's just nice to know there's a whole army of folks out there who are just as crazy as me. :th_nod:We should discuss plans for our own mental hospital, where the lights are always on and no one's ever home...vive la Moning! :snick:

analisa
03-23-2009, 03:35 PM
We should discuss plans for our own mental hospital, where the lights are always on and no one's ever home...vive la Moning!

oh, that's so fun !! :snick:
and so true !!:skeptical:

BTW I think you have a point by saying that if it was already night there should've been shadows everywhere ... although Mac is carrying flashlights with her, she doesn't mention using them actually.
But I don't think the night was too far away, remember Fiona took her time before she told Barrons where Mac was heading to, and I don't think the LM was going to do his things in the middle of the day, they're night creatures, dark creatures.

I think Barrons can be in some sort of twilight, before dark, and dawn, remember the morning he was having breakfast with Mac's father? Or the sunday morning when he stepped into this conversation between Mac and O'Duffy, and he walks away with him ? it was raining and there was definitely no sunlight, but it was day.

No, wait, they don't walk away together,:wno: she goes upstairs all mad and when she comes back down to say one or two things they are gone. So this is no proof that Barrons can walk on daylight, maybe he sent O'Duffy away and he left through a mirror. Maybe they both went away through a mirror.:th_nod:

*sight* like you said, we're all gonna end up like this ...:jiggy: it's a good thing that we can be together at least ...:snick:

Saintme
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
I think you're right about the "twilight" thing. Barrons must have walked out of the store, too, after he met O'duffy, so even though he went outside during the day, it was dark and overcast enough for him. Fiona says she "saw Jericho step out." Sounds like he left alone. Sorry, at work, so I don't have page #'s.:cry:

Bones
03-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Great post! Welcome!

With the Fever series, I've learned that, if something strikes you as needing to be remembered, just remember it. Stick to your theory. I don't have the books with me right now, but I'm going to look that passage up as soon as I do have them.

If KMM seems to be highlighting something, I'm convinced that it's for a reason. :th_nod:

Wildernessgirl
03-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I think her vision was fading in and out. You don't have to have an injury to either eye for that to happen considering what a hard impact she suffered and how injured she was. Jericho was concerned and was in a rush to get her out of there based on what happened to her and she did faint later. Besides the last person Malluce did that too was killed instantly and that man was much larger than Mac. Jericho thinks the spear stabbing Malluce injured him enough that he was weakened when he hit her. An injury to head and even cheek could result in a concussion which effects vision and could cause her vision to fae in and out (sorry but I'm studying medicine).

When she went to Darroc's it was almost evening and even think she had her flashlights with her I suppose for when she was planning on leaving. I think it's interesting that Jericho showed up and think he sifted. I think the book said it was close to dusk but I will check again.

If Jericho was turning back and fourth from shadows like a shade he wouldn't be able to do so in sunlight or artificial light because shades avoid both and disintegrate when exposed to light.

Welcome to the board! The reason I remember all of this is because I just listened to chapter on podcast. By the way I don't the windows were blackened out at bookstore just garage. I do sometimes think there might be a connection between Barrons and shades though.

Wildernessgirl
03-23-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence that she ran into bookstore when she was lost in darkzone. But I'm not sure if Barrons knew about her and I don't think he was watching her. She met him at bookstore her first day in Ireland.

I think the queen might know about her but the way she and Alina were protected and lived in small town I don't think any other fae knew about them until Alina went to Ireland and even then she didn't mention Mac. Darroc mentions not knowing about her until he smelled her blood at warehouse and said there was no mistaking her bloodline. Barrons mentions as well that he can smell her blood.

If the queen does know them then it makes me think of how she protected and warded the Mackeltars castle and grounds from fae and seelie at that and warned the seelie not to go with in a certain distance of that area.

Not sure why but I felt that as long as the stayed in hometown they were protected but now that have been to Ireland they have been found and no longer hidden away from fae.

Wildernessgirl
03-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I was wrong she left around noon when she headed to dark zone. Not sure what caused fog but I think it might be related to the unseelie coming through but she also mentions feeling drawn to building so maybe she is being guided.

When they were fighting and she was hurt in Darkfever on page 291 it mentions that her head snapped back and pain shot through her skull. She goes on to say her lids felt heavy and that her vison was going in and out and more so on one side than the other. Here's some quotes

"My vision was going in and out, especially in one eye. One moment it was all shadowy, then there was Barrons again" Darkfever page 292

"As my grasp on consciousness on failed" Darkfever page 292

She only mentions seeing shadows once and mentions her vision fading at in and out and the same time and then loses consciousness. It seems like it's related to her being injured including her eyes from head injury and losing consciousness as he's fighting.

Saintme
03-24-2009, 01:12 PM
That's awesome! Med student?

Saintme
03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
to specify such a detail if it wasn't significant in some way. Like I said, the first time I read it, I thought Mac was just injured, and then she passes out, which should confirm that idea. But then I looked at all the things Mac didn't understand at first, and the way they were worded (like the whole "sleep" command), and saw lots of similarities to this sort of allusion. I could definitely be wrong. It was just an attention grabber for me.

Wildernessgirl
03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
That's awesome! Med student?

Thanks! Yes if I can make myself leave Telluride, CO. I keep putting it off saying one more year of skiing lol. But I'm an EMT and volunteer at ER and ambulance. I think I will be starting this fall or next spring.

Wildernessgirl
03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
to specify such a detail if it wasn't significant in some way. Like I said, the first time I read it, I thought Mac was just injured, and then she passes out, which should confirm that idea. But then I looked at all the things Mac didn't understand at first, and the way they were worded (like the whole "sleep" command), and saw lots of similarities to this sort of allusion. I could definitely be wrong. It was just an attention grabber for me.

You might be right but to me becaus she only mentioned it once it's not important. I think maybe she wrote it like so the reader would see some of what happened between Jericho and Malluce but not everything. It also helps explain why she fainted when Barrons picked her and ran and why we can't see what happens next. It might give away too much.

Saintme
03-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Head-to-wall interface commencing...:swoon:

Wildernessgirl
03-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Head-to-wall interface commencing...:swoon:

Lol :wlaugh:!!! I know how that feels.

Jill
03-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Ya know?!? I like the way ya think:60::exclamation:

Siobhan
03-25-2009, 05:44 AM
just a quick note on the "was it daytime" discussion: Barrons ran through the sewers back with her.

Saintme
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Right back at ya:notworthy:

Saintme
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM
just a quick note on the "was it daytime" discussion: Barrons ran through the sewers back with her.

Do you think that was because it was still daylight or because he wanted to get away fast?

dreamygrril
05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
"My vision was going in and out, especially in one eye. One moment it was all shadowy, then there was Barrons again" Darkfever page 292

Now that is odd? Shadowy? It could have said dark.

Did Barrons release something on them?

Like the shades?

DUNNO :wbiggrin:

Saintme
05-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I dunno either. I kinda dropped it, but then I re-read it and the phrasing stuck out all over again-"all shadowy, then there was barrons". There's so many little clues in DF but Mac didn't know anything yet. I mean, where did "Ellis" and "mcCabe" go? Malluce worked for Darroc, O'Bannion had the spear, where's McCabe's connection? He was one of "3 major players", but he never shows up again, and I remember an Ellis from SOTH, connected to Cian's mirror. :wno::arghhh::cry:
I'm never going to forgive August for taking so long to get here.

dreamygrril
05-08-2009, 01:29 PM
I often wondered about "McCabe" and it was he (correct me if I am wrong) that commented on the full moon.

kittycutz
05-08-2009, 09:09 PM
see I'm on that same page... I mean in Bloodfever Fiona says something about him (Barrons) being there on a sunday... don't know the relevence but It irked me that he'd be there during the day... I mean doesn't he usually show up in the dark.. you know he jokes about how V'lane takes her to nice places and he takes her to graveyards.:skeptical:

mickeycat
05-08-2009, 11:32 PM
This is an interesting thread - Thank you!

ZNallaMine
09-10-2009, 01:18 PM
"I blinked again, heavily. I still couldn't breathe and my vision was going in and out, especially in one eye. One moment it was all shadowy, then there was Barrons again. ~ pg. 328

I actually think that the "shadowy" here simply refers to the blackness of unconciousness creeping in and then her fighting it back. She almost blacked out, but then she came back for a bit, saw Barrons and then faded back out again as he came and scooped her up. She comments about fading in and out a few more times during their 'trip'. So, I think that the shadow was her mind, not anything that Barrons was doing.

As for him being in the sunlight, I can only remember the time he showed up during the day on Sunday. But he was standing behind them or something and there was no indication that he had come from outside.

abukhar
01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
you have a good point there bcuz even when they left the house Barrons went underground through the sewers and come to think of it he's never eaten or drunk anything in any of the books remember when they went to O'Bannions Mac took his food after she had finished hers and what about those times she saw blood on him

kukana-malia
02-21-2010, 12:47 AM

I think QA was the woman who pointed Mac through the Darkzone knowing the first place she would see would be BB&B.

I think QA and V'lane have been watching Mac from the beginning, maybe even from childhood. But Barrons has known her since her second day in Dublin, so basically since she "step foot" there.