PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Is On My Hotlist!!!

NiEssa
04-12-2009, 08:24 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2009/04/amazon-deranks-gayfriendly-books-the-twitterverse-notices.html

The afore posted link is about an issue with Amazon.com "de-ranking" best sellers saying they are considered "ADULT" all the while ranking playboy, books filled with incest and other "ADULT" topics. If this presses your censorship hating anarchy button like it does mine please read the articles listed on the topic, and make it known to amazon how wrong it is to de-rank specific books and let others that cover more taboo topics be ranked...oooo this pisses me off on a major scale.:arghhh:

Anita
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm confused.

Viking Princess
04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
That is only one of the many issues Amazon seems to be having lately. Can you believe that L.J. Smith felt compelled to remove her blog from amazon not because of negitive reviewers (which she knows there will always be) but because those negitive reviewers hang out on the page and tear the book down constantly, including positive reviews. The same thing happened with Faefever last september. That is pretty bad when an author can't even write a blog without negitive backlash hitting her in the blog.

Personally, I don't understand why people can't just say "I didn't like it" give their reason and move on to another topic. Why do people have to ruin things for other people too in the forums of that book with is there for discussing the books/series/author and things related. They were made to be helpful, not to be a pool of negitivity and ruining the endings of books. Oh, well.

Do you know if it is amazon itself deranking books, or if members of the site can flag them as too "adult" (for lack of a better term)

Viking Princess
04-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm confused.

basicly, the books are removed from the amazon top sellers list and search feature because they have adult themes. (but other books with the same or worse themes remain on those lists and features)

Anita
04-12-2009, 08:42 PM
That makes no sense why do something lame like that? if one is wrong shouldn't they ALL be wrong?

bluedragonfly81
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
that is absolutely ridiculous! they've got some nerve:realmad::arghhh:

Viking Princess
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
That makes no sense why do something lame like that? if one is wrong shouldn't they ALL be wrong?

And the thing is the books being removed appear mostly to be books that contain samesex relationships/gay rights. So, they are apparently censoring the site based on sexual preference. Bad, bad, bad amazon! a book is a book, let the sales numbers determine which are topselling. Let sales numbers never lie about which books are the topsellers. Prejudice of any kind is sooooo not cool, amazon! :realmad:

Anita
04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
People piss me off sometimes. Everyone is entitled to there thoughts but come on.

NiEssa
04-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I think that was what made me so angry...don't pick on books of a particular theme. Homosexuality in a book is not a basis to be deemed ADULT and therefore unranked and not searchable when PLAYBOY and others of what I consider worse content are left ranked and in searches.

I quit blogging on Amazon too. It seemed like no one could make a statement as a statement, they are those on the site that hover just to cause discord and arguments. There is no moderating all the BS spewing from people like that, yet they want to censor lists and rankings based on what? It certainly isn't the public buying those books...I'm very disappointed in the way the site is turning out to be a cesspool of negative attacks.

FeverChick
04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I think people go way to far on Amazon...like you said VP. They need to say their beef and move on. They should not be stalking author's or fans of a series with how bad the book was....time to move on. I also think Amazon should be more monitored than what it is. I've read some reviews and feedback of people on the site and it reminds me of Jr. high school.

Marisa Chenery
04-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I have one of my books at Amazon, Lady Knight, and I guess they deemed it as too erotic because it lost its ranking for the paperback. But oddly enough the Kindle version still has its ranking. At least for now.

Stapes
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Wow that is interesting. I was just reading a discussion on Amazon about this and someone said that if you search for an author in all departments, some books from that author may not turn up. But if you search "books" by the author they do. I had been looking at an anthology by Christine Feehan, Sabrina Jeffries and Emma Holly and that's what happened-wouldn't show the book until I narrowed down the search to just books. I wonder if they'll rethink the policy when they hear the uproar.

Sky28
04-13-2009, 03:27 AM
NiEssa,
I love your siggy!

NiEssa
04-13-2009, 05:02 PM
NiEssa,
I love your siggy!

aww thanks!! I love Abby!! that was so me 10 years ago!!!:snick:

Anita
04-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Amazon is odd.

Sky28
04-14-2009, 02:32 AM
aww thanks!! I love Abby!! that was so me 10 years ago!!!:snick:
The hairdo or the job?

NiEssa
04-14-2009, 02:20 PM
The hairdo or the job?

LOL the hair!! I wish that had been my job!:wwink:

Leiha
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Amazon says they fixed the "glitch" that caused those books to no longer be ranked. Looks like they realized that the public didn't like having their books censored for them.

As for the negative nellies, from reading the discussions on Karen's books, it's ok if you have a negative opinion but if you have a positive one then they discount it as one of Karen's fans. How ridiculous is that?

NiEssa
04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
i guess they got flooded with hate mail...i sent them a fix it or cancel my account letter...seems like everyone else did too!! power to the people:th_Clap5: