PDA

View Full Version : When did you start reading romance novels??

Dageus'Lass
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
And what book was your first?

I believe I started reading romance when I was in my early teens and I read one of Danielle Steel's books. Then I stopped and picked up again at 18 when I went to Massachusetts for the summer. My aunt just bought the house at that time, so the previous owner left a room filled with boxes and boxes of romance novels and the first one I had picked up was a Harlequin Romance novel and was hooked ever since.

What's your story?

KJTVH
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
One of my sisters used to read this series, I don't remember the name of it or the author, but it had the name 'Mallen' in the series, and I wasn't allowed to read it. I was probably about 14 when I saw a book called 'The Mallen Girl' in the high school library, so I got it since I recognized it from the same series. My sister found me with it, told Mom, the book got taken out of the library, etc. I remember thinking at the time this was pretty shocking stuff, but I don't remember any details other than the title!

KJ

Vivace
06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
The first I read was Diana Palmer's Soldiers of Fortune when I was around...13 or 14. Been hooked ever since.

Andreea81
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I can tell you my age, the book, what I did that day, what music I was listening and even what I did not had to eat that day:wlaugh:
I loved the book so much....all stayed with me:smile:
I was 12, it was July and I was at my grandma's at the countryside with my cousin.
She had this book with her, for summer reading...she never even opened it. I did and the fun happend.
I remember she went with my grandma someplace and I was all alone and bored so I picked up "Leading Lady" by Kate Coscarelli.
I remember I was listening to Take That "Everything Changes " album.
The book grabbed me so hard, that I could not put it down anymore and I had to finish it, that day. I must have read from 2, 3 in the afternoon 'til 10 o'clock in the evening. I never went to eat and I remember we were having corn bread with beans.
After that I remember reading some Sandra Brown novels, that one of my class mates used to read...but nothin' special.
All 'til "Texas Sage" by Sandra Brown..which I just loved! I continued with "Winter Seasons" by Sylvie Sommerfield. After that long, long break from romance. I read many fantasy and historical novels.
The break ended with ....ummmm.....Karen Hawkins - To catch a highlander .

CaveGirl
06-10-2009, 11:44 AM
i didn't start reading romance until i was about 19 and my mom gave me nora roberts's book "jewels of the sun". i've been hooked ever since but i've branched out into different areas of romance (ie paranormal, etc). how could i not get hooked after reading about aidan???

Jill
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Whenever Spell of the Highlander came out. A friend bought it for me as a gift because Scotland is my favorite European country, and she thought I would like it! Then I read all of Karen's Highlander books in reverse order. I've also since read most of Lynn Kurland's books because she is an incredible writer, and BDB books based on recommendations from friends. I read Acheron by accident, and that's it!!!! I don't generally like romance novels. I am a literary S N O B!!!!!

Desan
06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I was 13 and my first Harlequin was "To Have and To Hold" - 19yr old girl in love with her 33yr old prof... pffft!

And my first "bodice ripper" was at 15, "Fire Song" by Catherine Coulter - I got a signed copy. Yay me!

BabyCampbell
06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
I was in my early teens, and I read a romance novel that I was so in love with I read it five times just because I was jealous of her, and the story was so nice. I stopped then picked back up a two years ago after my dads boss was throwing out over 40 romance novels because she gets them shipped in every month so she didnt need any of her old ones. So every month I would go to her house and take her books from her. I did this until I had no room left in my room lol. Now I have to buy them since he doesnt work for her anymore, or go to the library, but then you gotta wait a month for your request..because 20 other people requeted the same book....

Saintme
06-10-2009, 01:10 PM
My grandma loves romance novels-the really really bad ones:wbiggrin: So when I was about 12, I'd just started getting bouts of sickness. When I got them at her house, she'd tell me to go lie down, and I'd read all her books. :snick:I have to admit, though, I didn't have the cojones to buy them for myself until I was 18; my parents are serious intellectual types, so I got my fix at the library for a while, until they found out that what I was reading. I still hide my books to this day; poor fiance keeps pulling them out of couches, chair cushions, underneath papers and stuck into cabinets. :snick: And now, after all these years, I got my mom hooked on them too.:biglaugh:

Breelia
06-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Sometime in high school. I forget exactly when. The book was Baby Don't Go by Susan Andersen. I don't think I've stopped reading romance novels since...

airbear82
06-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I was in grade 7 so that would have made me 12 or 13 and my first Romance was Time Without End By Linda Lael Miller and can you guess? it was about a vampire named Valerian and his true love Daisy.

cyliarose
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Mine was last year with the KMM Highlander series, then I went on to the Anita Blake series, and it all went down hill from there... er... should I say UP hill!!!
it's funny cause, now when I go back to the other authors I like, there's something missing... I'm a big mystery and suspense book reader!! I love S.King, D. Koontz, N.Roberts...
My hubby call's me obsessed!!! Who me??? :skeptical::wno:

Nhhhhaaaaa!!! (ok maybe a little!!! lol) :wlaugh:

By the way Andreea81 ... I love your banner!!! it's really cool!! I like your Barrons! Nice choice! :60:

Liberdade
06-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh, it was definitely a strange one for me.
I began reading comic books when I was a preteen, being a tomboy when I was that age. Then I started noticing guys...then noticing comics about girls who noticed guys!
Then I broke off of comic books around 14 and began reading romance novels. I don't remember my first one, but it was an urban paranormal romance book. I didn't know those two genres could collide! Ever since, I've been reading romance novels with paranormal or just excitement. I cant read harlequin novels, they just don't cut it for this chica.

Irina
06-10-2009, 06:21 PM
I've been reading romance novels ever since I can remember. LOL
A friend that my mom used to work with would give her entire bags full of them, so I would sneak a couple out here and there and read them then.:snick:

But the first romance novel that I ever really remember reading and that really stuck with me, was KMM's Kiss of the Highlander, I was 11 or 12, so that would have been about 5 or 6 years ago, I think.
It's still one of my absolute favorite books ever. I'm reading it again now!

bluedragonfly81
06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
It's funny because for the longest time I was determined to avoid romance novels *slaps self in the head* I was quite happy with my classics and whatever books I was reading for class. But about 4 years ago a friend brought in a whole bag of books, and low and behold it was a bag of romance novels. The first one I picked up was by Carol Finch, Satin Surrender http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/3d/1c/ce35228348a0746466ba6110.L._AA240_.jpg ... needless to say, after I read it i was addicted to romance novels :snick: ... i then read Gaelen Foley's Knight's Miscellany series and Lisa Kleypas's Wallflower series and Liz Carlyle and so on ... and Amazon.com--bless them because they recommended Karen's books :60: ... I am now a HUGE fan of historical and paranormal romance! Yay!!!

lilchubb
06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
My very first romance read was when I was nineteen--I saw this book with a hunky looking guy on the cover sitting on my mom's dresser. I was on Christmas break from college and long on bored time and short on reads.

Turned out that book was KMM's The Highlander's Touch:60:

Obviously I loved it, although I don't normally read the romances--I'm more of a suspense/thriller/mystery type reader so I stick with the romance writers I know usually--KMM, Ward, and Cat Adams.

Although I have been tempted by the Sookie Stackhouse series....

Jenn
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I guess my first 'romance' novel I ever read was The Switch by Sandra Brown... though it's technically more of a romantic suspense. Then a few years later I picked up 'Night Fire' by Catherine Coulter at my MIL's house, because I was bored. I started frequenting the library after that, and had what is known as my 'Nora Roberts' summer, LOL. Then I had my son, stopped reading for awhile and then when I started working again I found BTHM in my boss' car on the way to lunch, from there the Box o' Smut was born in our office, and to this day, I go NOWHERE without a book! So I guess my book obsession is all Karen's fault, LOL. That is a longer answer than is required of course, but I'm bored, so you all get to reap the... benefits... yeah, that's it. :P

Vixn2tame
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
I think i was about 13 when my Mom gave me two books: The Bride of Kilkerran and The Ghost of Coquina Key. One very sweet romance (with no sex in it at all) and more of a mystery/romance. I think it's still in my closet. Worn, torn pages from years of re-reading :)
Once i was hooked on romance novels, she got me into an incredible series by SergeAnne Golon called Angelique.. Sadly out of print, but really great books.

katydid
06-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I read some young adult romance in highschool. Back then I was more into mystery books. It wasn't until my mid 20's before I got into the romance.

Andreea81
06-11-2009, 02:56 AM
By the way Andreea81 ... I love your banner!!! it's really cool!! I like your Barrons! Nice choice! :60:

Thank you! I need to change it..been there for too long!:snick:

My very first romance read was when I was nineteen--I saw this book with a hunky looking guy on the cover sitting on my mom's dresser.

Those are always good books...with the hunk on the cover!:snick:
I should know!:wbiggrin:

CelticMorwen
06-11-2009, 04:28 AM
I've been reading since I was 3. I never cared for romance novels, even tho my sister reads them voraciously! One day I was waiting for her at the library and saw this great looking cover...the book was Immortal Highlander. the rest is history

Caitríona
06-11-2009, 07:11 AM
It wasn't technically a romance, but I started reading Anne Rice's vampire chronicles when I was 13. Does having a ridiculous crush on Lestat make it count as romance? lol

Anyway, when I was 15, my mom offered to let me read her copy of Lynn Kurland's 'Stardust of Yesterday' because there was no explicit sex. Together we collected all of her time-travel romances. I loved them. And then I went to college and had no time to read.

When I left school, I was looking for Kurland's books at a used bookstore and came across a few of Karen's books. Now I'm totally spoiled hunky highlanders AND sex?! The chapter doesn't have to end with the bedroom door closing?! :snick: and since then, the only other books I could find that I like as much as hers are Ward's BDB series.

Romannicus
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I think I read my first romance around 12 or 13. I saw my mom reading it and later I lifted it from her dresser drawer. I don't remember the name or the author but I remember it was about a cowboy and towards the end the main characters were rolling around in the hay.

After that, there was a huge dry spell until I started working in the local library around age 17. I remember when I found the Dark Highlander there. I read the back cover and I was instantly hooked. It was the first book where I finished and I started right over. Of course, I only do that with KMM books. She's the master!!!

Deborah
06-11-2009, 04:16 PM
was "Cousin Mark" a Harlequin Romance that I read at the age of 10. In fact, I still have it. I believe the price on the cover is like .50 My aunt got it from a lady at work and didn't want it. I picked it up being the "advanced" :snick: reader that I was started reading them and never stopped. I look back at those first books that are circa early 1970's and think how innocent the romances were compared to what we read today, and can see why my mother never had a problem with her young girl reading them. How times have changed.

hdbiker
06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I was 12 and the first book I picked up was Texas Chase by Sandra Brown. I read that book more times than I could count, and have been hooked on romance novels ever since.

Jill
06-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I've been reading since I was 3. I never cared for romance novels, even tho my sister reads them voraciously! One day I was waiting for her at the library and saw this great looking cover...the book was Immortal Highlander. the rest is history

My first romance novel was KMM's Spell of the Highlander, and with only 1 or 2 exceptions, Karen has spoiled me and I think all other romance writers are not up to par. Nope. They. Are. Not!!!! Most other romance writers' works are suckish and predictable. Don't you agree, Morwen!?!?!

princess
06-11-2009, 06:17 PM
me when i was in high school. hormones and boys+ romance books. yeah totaly loved them. jeje:snick:

FeverChick
06-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I started reading romance books when I was in 8th or 9th grade. My aunt decided to pay me 2.00 dollars for every book I read. It worked! I got hooked on very simple (non sex) regency romance books. Since that point I've been an avid romance reader.

Litaflute
06-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I used to make fun of my mom for reading romance novels and vowed I would never read them because I thought they were dumb. My mom told me I couldn't bash on them if I had never read one, so being the smart ass I am, I picked one up to spite her. I was around 16.
It was called Savage Dreams. I still have it.
I have been hooked ever since....my mom will never let me live it down. But I don't care, I love romance novels and more then half my book collection are romance!

AnnieM
06-12-2009, 02:02 AM
I was in jr high, always a book worm when I had the time. I think my first was Johanna Lindseys Say You Love Me. The bit on the inside flaps got me interested. I remember taking the cover off so my friends wouldn't give me grief about the title. No half naked guys yet, I was so anti-romance at the time the title was bad enough! But I think my first Hot romance was called The Princess and the Unicorn and I never even got to read it!! I got it from the library, intrigued by the summary, and my mom picked it up and read bits and pieces of it. I didn't know it was that kind of a book! I was forbidden from reading it, it made both my parents blush to read those bits and pieces. It was an old book then and now I can't find it. But Lindsey had gotten me interested and I was off from there.

Conoga
06-12-2009, 02:14 AM
5th grade for me. i didnt know quite what i had lol but didnt take long to catch on! i thought i was just going to read about a girl from the city trying to fit in on a cattle drive with a cocky, smart mouth cowboy in charge of everything.
yeah.... he was in charge alright!!

.... i think i might dig that one off the shelf in the office and read it again lol its been a while!

KJTVH
06-12-2009, 03:56 AM
LOL, I just realized something! I didn't read romances until I was a teenager, but I did WRITE one when I was 11 or 12! Yep, 100 pages of sappy American Civil War era southern belle falls in love with Yankee soldier typical mess! It wa horrible and embarrassing, and after a teacher found it, I threw it out and burnt it! Maybe that's why it took me so long to get into reading this genre! Strange, for the first time, I now wish I'd kept it.

KJ

Romannicus
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
LOL, I just realized something! I didn't read romances until I was a teenager, but I did WRITE one when I was 11 or 12! Yep, 100 pages of sappy American Civil War era southern belle falls in love with Yankee soldier typical mess! It wa horrible and embarrassing, and after a teacher found it, I threw it out and burnt it! Maybe that's why it took me so long to get into reading this genre! Strange, for the first time, I now wish I'd kept it.

KJ

LOL, KJ I did the same thing. I wrote one and stuffed it under the bed and then my mom found it. I tore that thing to bits and tossed it. I so wish I'd kept mine, too.

Dageus'Lass
06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
was "Cousin Mark" a Harlequin Romance that I read at the age of 10. In fact, I still have it. I believe the price on the cover is like .50 My aunt got it from a lady at work and didn't want it. I picked it up being the "advanced" :snick: reader that I was started reading them and never stopped. I look back at those first books that are circa early 1970's and think how innocent the romances were compared to what we read today, and can see why my mother never had a problem with her young girl reading them. How times have changed.
I wish books were that cheap today, a few of the ones I read were .25.

shay
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
i use to read horror when i was in school RL Stine and nightmare hall i loved those books then i stopped when i got to 10th grade. then in my 1st year of university i was on holi at the time, my mum use to read mills and boons so one day i picked up one n found that i was interested in romance n started readin 1st was contemporary romance then i started historical romance n found i liked them beta than contemporary. then in 2007 i was in the bookstore in the airport n i picked this one book read the back n saw that it was a paranormal romance book n thought let me try it so i bought it was highlanders touch after i read it i was hooked to paranormal romance n started hunting for the rest of the series literally i hunted lol coz some bookstores didnt have some of the books. i remember dark highlander i couldnt find at all n while i was on the way to the bookstore i thought to myself if i cant find it now ill ask them to order it for me an wat do u know as soon as i went to the romance section it was there lol i was soo thrilled, read that book in 1 day till 3am!! then i started coming here n yourll introduced me to other paranormal romance authors i didnt know abt n for that i thank yourll!

lindseylovesJZB
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
My first romance novel was Honor's Splendor by Julie Garwood... I loved it!!!! I was amazed!!! LOL I was probably 14 and my mom and my now sister in law read constantly!!!! And they were always talking about characters and plots and hot men and I always wanted to be included!!! So I told my mom I wanted one to read so she gave me that one. I started reading it on the couch and finished the whole thing that night!!! I loved it!!! I didn't know it was going to have very descriptive sex scenes though!!!! I felt embarrassed!!!! LOL but thats the one that got me hooked!!! :jiggy:

jeskrt
06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
lol. I was 13 and i found one of my mother's books called "My Lady the Vixen" by I think it's Connie Mason. lol. and that's when i discovered the "intricacies" (sp) of, er... the birds and the bees :wwink: needless to say... i had to go stealth mode with that book and any others i got afterwords, unfortunately my father caught me on one of my not so successful secret squirrel book napping missions and he had a coronary when he found out I was reading "smut" (direct quote lol) novels. That's when he banned them from the house (or at least made my mother come up with very creative methods of hiding them from me) and I had to start going to the library and sneaking them into the house. Only cuz I was a teenager, and a young one to boot that he was super protective of. He doesn't care anymore so long as when i come to visit i don't leave them around for my 15 year old brother to get ahold of (Heck, the man has banned Cosmopolitan and Victoria Secret Catalogues too because of him. lmao) But, I have gotten my mother hooked on the Fever Series as well as the Highlander series so I have repaid her for the stolen books (from her collection) of my youth(that I always snuck back to wherever she had them in the house. lol):60:

Natresse
06-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I started reading romance books when I was in 8th or 9th grade. My aunt decided to pay me 2.00 dollars for every book I read. It worked! I got hooked on very simple (non sex) regency romance books. Since that point I've been an avid romance reader.

I love that idea. I'm going to do that to my kids if i have any. And maybe my neice and nephew, they dont read enough for my taste. (i'm the evil aunt that doesn't buy toys, i buy books. Because to ME, i'd love to get books)

I cannot remember the title of the first romance i read. But know the plot. It was a Harlequin or something like that ..The main character was Grace and she was hired to be the secratary of a notorious womanizer. She made herself less attractive so he would leave her alone (at his father's request) then a baby gets involved and her hair dye starts to fade and he had become attracted to her plain or not. I loved that book. It think i saved it in my memory trunk. Then there was "Forest of the Night" my very first paranormal type romance...waaaaay before they became popular. i Know i saved that one.

I actually started reading romances because of my Grandpa. After he quit farming he went to work as a security guard, this job allowed him to indulge in his secret pleasure..trashy romance novels. I found a bag of them in an armoire on summer afternoon when i was staying with my grandparents and bored. He'd buy them by the bag from the libarary. They were the thin Harlequin books...i'd read 3 or 4 a day when i was staying with them. I was probably 11 or 10.

Jamie Leigh
06-29-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't remember the first actual book that I read. But in the early 80's Good House Keeping magazine would have exerpts or short stories....all romance. That got me started. I couldn't wait for my mom to get a new mag.

I guess the first books I really remember is the Calder series. I've read soooo many books over the years sometimes you loose track. Have you ever picked up a book and are half way through before you realize that you've read it before? grrrrrr lol