PDA

View Full Version : The MacKeltar Family Portraits

mycm1990
11-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Please someone tell me what is the meaning of the two missing portraits in the Greathall.

I've read the Dark Highlander and it still doesn't explain them.

Not knowing is driving me insane.

Thank you.

MeShelle
11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Karen said in one of her interviews that she wrote two endings. If you go to her websites and check the interview section it should be there

LisK
11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
The missing portraits have to be Drustan and Dageus - because they came forward in time!!! So they weren't there to have their portraits done. Isn't that right MeShelle?

MeShelle
11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I dont remember.... I remember reading somewhere that karen said she had two endings and in the one she chose the portraits didnt fit in. I cant remember if she said whose it was. so no asky me cause me no no

LisK
11-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I dont remember.... I remember reading somewhere that karen said she had two endings and in the one she chose the portraits didnt fit in. I cant remember if she said whose it was. so no asky me cause me no no

Okay...... going to have to look it up. That means spending time with MacKeltars...... not a bad thing to do!! I'll borrow a couple pics from the Porterhouse to help in my .....research!! :th_anim_naughty-vi:

MeShelle
11-01-2007, 08:53 PM
lol you should see i took 2 guys out of my closet and decided to introduce them

LisK
11-01-2007, 08:55 PM
lol you should see i took 2 guys out of my closet and decided to introduce them

Yes, I know. Still wiping the drool off my keyboard!!! BTW - did you see the pics of the guy with the nipple rings? ............ Z

MeShelle
11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
OMG thats the same thing i thought... Well great minds think alike...

LisK
11-01-2007, 09:06 PM
OMG thats the same thing i thought... Well great minds think alike...

Thanks for the compliment!!! We seem to have similar taste in men.......:th_anim_naughty-vi:

MeShelle
11-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the compliment!!! We seem to have similar taste in men.......:th_anim_naughty-vi:
LOL...Its called GOOD taste lol

LisK
11-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Okay, here it is. Kiss of the Highlander, pg 383 (paperback)....

She moved to the next portrait, but two empty spaces followed. The wall was darker where portraits had one hung. "What was here?"she asked curiously. Had they taken down portraits of Drustan to give her?
Christopher and Maggie exchanged an odd glance.
"Just two portraits being touched up,"Christopher said. "There's Nell and Silvan again,"he said, pointing farther down the wall.
Gwen eyed them a moment. "And Dageus? Where is Dageus?"she asked.
Again, the couple exchanged glances. "He's a mystery,"Maggie finally said. "He wandered off somewhere in 1521."
Īs there no record of his death?"
"No,"Maggie replied tersely

THAT'S BECAUSE HE & DRUSTAN TIME TRAVELED TO THE 21ST CENTURY!!

MeShelle
11-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Ok ... no that i read this i agree with you...

*Jo*
11-01-2007, 09:26 PM
The missing portraits have to be Drustan and Dageus - because they came forward in time!!! So they weren't there to have their portraits done. Isn't that right MeShelle?

...it was the twins Dageus & Drustan...:happy0158:
Dageus is my favorite so he gets to be first...

Littlewitch
11-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Actually it seems that both portraits were of Dageus.

From the Highlander FAQ on KMM's site

FAQ: What about the two portraits of Dageus mentioned in Silvan's letter at the end of Kiss of the Highlander?
I wrote two versions of The Dark Highlander. In the first version, those portraits played a significant part. However, I wasn't satisfied with the way the story was unfolding, so about 250 pages into it, I chucked it in the trash and started over. And the portraits, oddly enough, found no place in the version I ended up liking.

Those portraits are currently stored in the attic of the original Keltar castle that is occupied by Christopher & Maggie MacKeltar, and their children. Hopefully, no Keltar will ever need to have them brought out again to remind them of the price of breaking a sacred oath.

(I just reread the letter and there is no mention of the portraits that I can see there. Only the above quoted section.)

I'd assumed it was because of the change in color of his eyes.

LisK
11-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Actually it seems that both portraits were of Dageus.

From the Highlander FAQ on KMM's site

FAQ: What about the two portraits of Dageus mentioned in Silvan's letter at the end of Kiss of the Highlander?
I wrote two versions of The Dark Highlander. In the first version, those portraits played a significant part. However, I wasn't satisfied with the way the story was unfolding, so about 250 pages into it, I chucked it in the trash and started over. And the portraits, oddly enough, found no place in the version I ended up liking.

Those portraits are currently stored in the attic of the original Keltar castle that is occupied by Christopher & Maggie MacKeltar, and their children. Hopefully, no Keltar will ever need to have them brought out again to remind them of the price of breaking a sacred oath.

(I just reread the letter and there is no mention of the portraits that I can see there. Only the above quoted section.)

I'd assumed it was because of the change in color of his eyes.

OK, Littlewitch, now I have to go back & re-read Silvan's letter. But you could be right - although I don't know how much time Dageus spent in the 16th century after he "turned" . If I remember correctly, he says in Dark that he couldn't stand Silvan watching him so closely to see if anything "happened" to him after he broke the oath & went through the stones to save Drustan.
I'm at work, so don't have my books - going to have to check this out when I get home!

Littlewitch
11-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Well there must have been at least some time because Silvan writes "..but he confessed to me that three years after we placed your enchanted body in the northeast tower, that wing of the castle caught fire..."

I realize that this doesn't mean he'd been "evil" so to speak for 3 years but it does seem to indicated that a significant amount of time passed. I would think that it had been a month or whatever he would have said a month ago not three years after.

But honestly it was only an assumption and can't really be verified in any way. That story was never released.

Littlewitch
11-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I found the reference to the portraits. It's on the page before the letter from Silvan.

"You see they have a letter addressed to Drustan and Gwen, from Silvan, as well as two shocking portraits of Dageus to show them."

And you're right that he couldn't have stayed long after. Drustan was enchanted in late August originally. Gwen was taken by the Rom 2 weeks before he expected it to occur so mid August. He tells Gwen he spent several months saying good bye. Three years from then would be late 1521 and Dageus disappeared in 1521.

Karenq
11-12-2007, 06:05 PM
:33:I believe that since the two travel through time that the portrates will only be in place when the trave is complete

Please someone tell me what is the meaning of the two missing portraits in the Greathall.

Thank you.

Karenq
11-12-2007, 06:07 PM
:33:I believe that since the two travel through time that the portraits will only be in place when the trave is complete

Thank you.

albagubracht
04-20-2008, 01:13 PM
The missing portraits are of Dageus after he turned dark, or started, if I did not get the gist of things correctly.

Anita
05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
:notworthy:

THAT'S BECAUSE HE & DRUSTAN TIME TRAVELED TO THE 21ST CENTURY!!

I think you're right.