PDA

View Full Version : Reading books in order?

JosieGirl71
10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Does this series need to be read in order? I just finished the first book but the second book is not available on the Kindle or at our library. If they don't need to be read in order, which one should I read next? I was thinking Spell of the Highlander but want advice. :)

highlanderlas
10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the Moning Clan!

You don't have to read them in order. They are supposed to be stand alone, but re-occuring characters happen in all the books. So as not to be lost, it helps to read in order. Totally confused yet? LOL SPELL is the last of the Highlander series so far, but if it's the only one available, read it! It's my favorite.:wwink:

Badkitty
10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I read them out of order several years ago. I'm usually pretty anal about reading a series in order, but I had to depend on used book stores and libraries at that time, so I read them as I found them. They are pretty much stand alone books. Just read them, no matter what order!

Stapes
10-26-2009, 10:01 PM
My advice is always to read in order, but at least the last 4 in order: Kiss, Dark, Immortal, then Spell. Just think they make more sense that way. Though of course it is very hard to wait for Cian!

JosieGirl71
10-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I wish To Tame a Highlander was available to me but it's not so on to the next one. Too bad because I really like Grimm. Might have to check out the used book store. :)

Badkitty
10-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I wish To Tame a Highlander was available to me but it's not so on to the next one. Too bad because I really like Grimm. Might have to check out the used book store. :)

Either that or try eBay.

Stapes
10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
It's not too bad a price for a new paperback either-$4.99. Grimm's story is a good one.

JosieGirl71
10-26-2009, 11:15 PM
I spend so much money on books for my Kindle that I was hoping to pick it up at the library. I try not to buy real books unless it is something my hubby will read. I think he'll like the Fever series but the Highlander series isn't quite his cup of tea. ;)

Hesperia
10-26-2009, 11:18 PM
I love Grimm's story as well!

I always try to read in order...however, with these books, I agree with Stapes, the last 4 you definitely need to read in order. The first ones I think you'd be ok with reading the 3rd before the 2nd. You won't be too lost :smile:

Happy reading & :th_welcome2-1: to the group!!!!

Beware_of_Italics
10-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Kiss and Dark MUST be read in order. :th_nod:

dianainva
10-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Are the books listed on this forum section here in order? It looks like it to me, I just finished Kiss and am about to read Dark. But after that, I want to make sure I know which one to read from the beginning. I'm a stickler for reading in order and I almost didn't read Kiss because of that. But I just couldn't resist....

JosieGirl71
10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Just downloaded The Highlander's Touch. But it will be competing for reading time with my new House of Night book. Thanks again!

P.S. I wanted to know the same thing as dianainva...are the books listed in order here?

Stapes
10-27-2009, 01:31 PM
The main books are in order (first 7) the way they are listed. Into the Dreaming is in the anthology Tapestry (probably find it by author Lynn Kurland). That one really could be read anytime IMO.

Beware_of_Italics
10-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Here are the books in order:

Beyond the Highland Mist
To Tame a Highland Warrior
The Highlander's Touch
Kiss of the Highlander
The Dark Highlander
The Immortal Highlander
The Spell of The Highlander

Into the Dreaming (a novella)

JosieGirl71
10-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Thank you both!

tastefultragedy
11-04-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah. I like to read them in order. but.. I went to start over again last night. and OMG! I lost my 1st one.... EEek I know its around here somewhere. but anyhoo I just picked up 'to tame a highland warrior' again ainstead... then I'll reda teh first one when I get a chance. I know the story anyhoo and I know how grimm fit into the first one... so its nota problem.

the first time I raed the whole series... it was NO WHERE IN ORDER! gah! I was constantly like coming to little epiphinies (spell?) and like... OMG!!! thats how 'he' fits in... or 'they' and theire names make sense now! ya know... so it was like one big adventure. and by the time I was done... EVERYTHING made sense. then.... reading them in order is much more enjoyable after that! :th_nod:

DoberDawn
11-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Nothing else matters.... but you MUST read

Kiss, Dark, Immortal and Spell in order. It would be a major mistake not to!!!

DoberDawn
11-04-2009, 01:47 PM
P.S. If you do read them before you read Touch... you will get spoilers though for Touch.... So really ... Touch then K, D, I, S.

VictoriaP
11-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Nothing else matters.... but you MUST read

Kiss, Dark, Immortal and Spell in order. It would be a major mistake not to!!!

Absolutely agreed. I read those four as completely out of order as you possibly could--Spell, Dark, Immortal, and THEN Kiss. It's not the end of the world, but I suspect I would have enjoyed Kiss a LOT more if I'd read it first. As it is, it's my least favorite of the set.

I haven't read the first three and am still debating if I will, since really the last four are the ones helpful to dissecting the Fever series.

Stapes
11-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I haven't read the first three and am still debating if I will, since really the last four are the ones helpful to dissecting the Fever series.

Ok, but don't you want to read them....FOR THE HOT SCOTTISH HIGHLANDERS! Seriously, they are good books. You can't go wrong with any of Karen's books.

Beware_of_Italics
11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Ok, but how about reading them....FOR THE HOT SCOTTISH HIGHLANDERS! Seriously, they are good books. You can't go wrong with any of Karen's books.

So agree with Stapes here. The Highlander series is my absolute favorite!

VictoriaP
11-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Ok, but don't you want to read them....FOR THE HOT SCOTTISH HIGHLANDERS! Seriously, they are good books. You can't go wrong with any of Karen's books.

LMAO!

I do concur--Karen's books are excellent and there's a lot to be said for HOT SCOTTISH HIGHLANDERS!

The problem is like many who started with Fever and worked backwards through Karen's books, I was never a traditional romance reader--I'm from the dark side of sci-fi/fantasy. Which is probably why Kiss gave me so much trouble, because of the four, it's definitely the closest to a strict romance than a fantasy with romantic overtones. And that's why Spell was the first one I read after reading each synopsis from here on the site--it had the most story elements I was familiar with.

I downloaded and read the first three Fever books in one afternoon. Found the forum, and that was the first I learned of the other books. Amazon says I downloaded Spell on August 1st, so it took me about ten days from reading Fever to give in and try one of the Highlanders. Of course, Cian pulled me in immediately once I started that book, so I slammed through that story, then hesitated again for a day on what to choose next.

Dageus conscripted me on the 3rd and I've been stuck with him ever since. I feel a lot like Katie-lass--I'm spoiled for other men at this point.

So the two darkest Keltar have made me a little more relaxed about the genre...but heck, I don't want to fall in love with another one, those two are more than enough. :wwink: Bad enough they've already made sure I'm no longer a Barrons' girl. After reading those two, Adam & Drustan were interesting enough, but competing with Dageus and Cian? No contest. LOL It sounds so incredibly stupid (hello? fictional characters!), but it's hard to muster up interest in three more guys when there's already one who monopolizes enough of your brain time that you're starting to think you've gone nuts.

Moral of the story: READ THEM IN ORDER!!!!! Better start with the first three, because there's probably someone in the later books who's going to make the rest seem like non-entities; Karen only gets better as a writer. You'll enjoy the early books more if you get to them before one of the later boys gets to you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go consult with a therapist on how a grown adult in an excellent marriage can be haunted by an imaginary HOT SCOTTISH HIGHLANDER..... :snick:

Stapes
11-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Karen's HOT SCOTTISH HIGHLANDERS POSSIBLY EVEN HOTTER on audiobooks!

Just saying...some of you that are new to the forum might not be aware of the Highlander audiobooks narrated by the talented Phil Gigante--he also did the male voices in Dreamfever, with the talented Natalie Ross doing the women's voices.

Check audiobookstand.com and search for Karen Marie Moning to listen to samples.

oxymoron
11-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Absolutely agreed. I read those four as completely out of order as you possibly could--Spell, Dark, Immortal, and THEN Kiss. It's not the end of the world, but I suspect I would have enjoyed Kiss a LOT more if I'd read it first. As it is, it's my least favorite of the set.

If you're at all interested in Adam, you really should read Touch. Even though it's nominally Circenn's story, it provides important (I think) information about Adam and the Fae. Not necessary, of course, but interesting nevertheless.

Ainethedragon
11-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I think reading The Immortal Highlander sometime after having read Beyond the Highland Mist is quite satisfying. Something about Adam having the tables turned on him like karma for his shenanigans, and not being able to do anything about it.

I also never really read romance novels before these, and I picked them up because I was looking for something to read while I was waiting to get my hands on FaeFever. I really didnt read anything in order... I kind of like it that way because you get pieces of a puzzle, and then in the end it all comes crashing together.

aprilssix
11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
You can't go wrong with any of Karen's books.

Totaly, Totaly 100 % agree!:60:

VictoriaP
11-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I really didnt read anything in order... I kind of like it that way because you get pieces of a puzzle, and then in the end it all comes crashing together.

You know, I love this image. What a great way to look at it for those who didn't read them "correctly"!

cspringc05
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM

I just finished reading it.. i could lend it to you if you'd like. I dont mind sending it to you. I found it at borders used for $4.00 and its in perfect condition. so you could try there as well