PDA

View Full Version : Cover art--need your help!

Pages : 1 [2]

VictoriaP
11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Gee, are you sure you also don't want a copy of Gabby's family journal about Adam, the Blackest Elf, including the mark-ups in Adam's own elaborate and eloquent hand correcting his history, too???? And maybe a few comments snuck in by Darroc???

Now wait, this is an EXCELLENT idea! I'm pretty sure we could sell out a lovely leather bound limited edition....

I'd love to see it. Along with one of all of Dageus' notes during his research on how to rid himself of the Draghar. THINK of all the half baked theories we could come up with based on those!

As if poor Karen doesn't have enough to do! :snick:

soolson
11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
1. I like your highlander covers. I like bold and mysterious!
2. PLEASE do not do covers like the sookie stackhouse series-I did not read the books for a long time because of the covers.
3. I like bold and mysterious and i hate the cartoon covers like on sookie stackhouse series.
4. I like the covers. Love bloodfever. I was not that impressed with dreamfever cover. Was not impressed with mac and the colors.
5. You should keep with showing Dublin on the covers and maybe add mac, barrons, and v'lane but don't put their faces clear because all of your readers have are own ideas of what they look like. I hope this helps. Whats the release date for shadowfever??? Cannot wait. Also, when will you know if your books are going to be made into a movie!! They would be crazy not to make it a movie!!

hellokitty2960
11-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm working with the art dept. on the cover for Shadowfever while also looking ahead at the series to follow. I'd like to open a very frank dialogue about cover art.

These are my initial questions:

1. What are some of your favorite covers, and why? (Please post thumbnails or small images)
I like scenery of a place that was described in the book.

2. What are some covers that don't work for you, and why? (Images, please.)
?

Right now I really do not like the covers of the Twilight series with the actors on the cover. I thing someone else mentioned they do not want the covers to contain faces of the characters of the book because we all have our own visions in our heads based on your descriptions in the books.
3. What do you like to see on the covers of books you're currently buying? What do you not like to see?

I do not like the actors put on the cover and if you may get a movie deal.... well.

4. What do you honestly think of the first four covers in my Fever series? You won't hurt my feelings here.

I really love the covers of your Fever Series. It is what attracked me to your books. I would love to see a picture of the ABBEY or one of BB&B on the cover. Maybe the SINSAR Dubh hangin in the back ground. Or how about those Shades!!!along a wall.....

5. How do you think the covers for the Fever series might be better portrayed?
Add the Shades or RhinoBoys in the background of Dublin for Darkfever. Another idea could be the spear alone on the cover. Of just the SINSAR Dubh with the beast coming out of it on the streets of Dublin for Darkfever.
I think one should have BB&B on the cover. That was Mac's safe place.

I know I've thrown a lot of questions at you, but I'm looking at the designs for Shadowfever and planning the next series and Iwant all the input from readers that I can get.

Thanks!

I absolutely love you books. I read all of the Fever Serieis in about a week. Now I am starving for your lastest. ShadowFever. I can not wait. I made a friend just by looking at your books at Barnes and Knoble. She said she loved you books too and turned me on to the Highlander series. She bought as many as she could get her hands on. We cleaned out the shelf of you books! Keep writing.

Karen Marie
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
not just one or two of them. I dithered over this for a long time. As a reader, I hate having a mismatched set and I didn't want to destroy the continuity of cover art, at least not in paperback. The HC was never going to match anyway, with the original DF being that darned clinch. And I certainly never want to put readers in the position of feeling they have to re-buy something they already have. I'm hoping you can just enjoy the new package for the last two novels, and forget that they don't match, and NOT buy a second copy. We'll hold lots of contests for freebies here at my site once they're available, so sit tight. I know how tough the economy is right now. I lost a year of work last year...long story for another time and maybe never, LOL. But I do understand that every dollar counts.

Unfortunately, the current package isn't working, according to accounts and readers (although you guys have been so wonderfully supportive!) I know there are a gazillion different opinions about covers, and I know some of you will feel the original covers were better, but I'm hoping that, like me, you find the new covers suit the story and fit the market perfectly. I can tell you this much--they're gorgeous. Very tactile, haunting and kind of sensuous without being overt. I like them best of all my covers to date, both Highlander and Fever, and I'm hopeful you'll enjoy the change, too.

Check out my blog http://www.karenmariemoning.blogspot.com/ for a peek at why Darkfever had the cover it did.

Stapes
11-19-2009, 10:21 AM
not just one or two of them. I dithered over this for a long time. As a reader, I hate having a mismatched set and I didn't want to destroy the continuity of cover art, at least not in paperback. The HC was never going to match anyway, with the original DF being that darned clinch. And I certainly never want to put readers in the position of feeling they have to re-buy something they already have. I'm hoping you can just enjoy the new package for the last two novels, and forget that they don't match, and NOT buy a second copy. We'll hold lots of contests for freebies here at my site once they're available, so sit tight. I know how tough the economy is right now. I lost a year of work last year...long story for another time and maybe never, LOL. But I do understand that every dollar counts.

Unfortunately, the current package isn't working, according to accounts and readers (although you guys have been so wonderfully supportive!) I know there are a gazillion different opinions about covers, and I know some of you will feel the original covers were better, but I'm hoping that, like me, you find the new covers suit the story and fit the market perfectly. I can tell you this much--they're gorgeous. Very tactile, haunting and kind of sensuous without being overt. I like them best of all my covers to date, both Highlander and Fever, and I'm hopeful you'll enjoy the change, too.

Check out my blog http://www.karenmariemoning.blogspot.com/ for a peek at why Darkfever had the cover it did.

Well, that explains it! Makes much more sense as a Highlander cover! But why, why would you tease us with "I had another Keltar novel planned"???

Karen Marie
11-19-2009, 10:24 AM
The Keltar are as real to me as Mac and the Fever world. It was the story about the first Keltar and I still can't shake it. I'd love to tell it. I just need more time.

Stapes
11-19-2009, 10:39 AM
The Keltar are as real to me as Mac and the Fever world. It was the story about the first Keltar and I still can't shake it. I'd love to tell it. I just need more time.

:notworthy: Thank you! That would make so many of us very happy. The MacKeltar's are very special to all of us too. It would be interesting to hear about their first experiences with the Fae.

Sky28
11-19-2009, 10:44 AM
:skeptical:Ok, so Barrons is not the first McKeltar. Thanks for the info.:60:

Stapes
11-19-2009, 10:50 AM

:snick:
I can't wait to see the new covers!

Sky28
11-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I can't wait to see the new covers!
Me too. So when are we getting the next newsletter? Would be a nice add!

Karen Marie
11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
the first Keltar, LOL...

Color me oblivious. I had no idea any of you thought that! ROTFL here.

Crazy_Girl
11-19-2009, 10:56 AM

:shocked:

Crazy_Girl
11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
the first Keltar, LOL...

So he is not a Keltar?
They are not related at all,hmmmm!

melissa
11-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Color me as oblivious as Karen - I had no idea that there was discussion of Barrons as the first Keltar. I guess I need to start reading the Dreamfever threads, that sounds like an interesting discussion indeed. Though not a theory that I could get behind all things considered.

Now a new Keltar book, one about the original Keltar and how they got involved with the Fae - that I would read in an instant. Regardless of what the cover looked like!

jayzee
11-19-2009, 11:58 AM
the first Keltar, LOL...

Karen, there's not much we haven't thought of in the "What is Barrons?" category. :snick:

irelandcastillo
11-19-2009, 12:41 PM

is that the cover for the paperback? mine looks nothing like that. it is blue with a light on it with the water and buildings behind. and looks rather like the picture in SSI that you click on to go to different rooms. so why does my cover look like that instead of the one with the supposed to be Highlander pic?

aprilssix
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
the first Keltar, LOL...

So... maybe, is... Mac a MacKeltar? :wwink:

jayzee
11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
is that the cover for the paperback? mine looks nothing like that. it is blue with a light on it with the water and buildings behind. and looks rather like the picture in SSI that you click on to go to different rooms. so why does my cover look like that instead of the one with the supposed to be Highlander pic?

No, that's the cover for the hardback. That's the original for Darkfever which was then changed to the blue one when it came out in paperback.

Viking Princess
11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
the first Keltar, LOL...

I never thought that! In fact I have been arguing he isn't for yearrrrrrs! Now maybe they will believe me. :snick:

bluedragonfly81
11-19-2009, 02:04 PM

Yay! Thank you, Karen, thank you! I HEART the MacKeltars!!! :60::notworthy:

bluedragonfly81
11-19-2009, 02:10 PM

Wow! I really like the Fever covers, though I am partial to the Highlanders :snick: I am very excited to see the changes :th_nod:

Liberty
11-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Yay, another MacKeltar. :notworthy:
I've always wondered about that cover, it makes sense now.
As for Barrons being the first MacKeltar, I've seen the theory floating around but knew he couldn't be. Barrons is a lot of things but he's so not a MacKeltar.

Jill
11-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Karen Marie, I am so exited about Bantam Dell's repackaging the entire series. I know the covers will be gorgeous, and I would feed my family red beans and rice for an entire week to afford the series even if it were available in hardcover (I am not a slummy mummy....red beans and rice does a body good!)

Anyway, I am confused about your post because you are talking about enjoying the last two novels.....is there one after Shadowfever? See I already own the first four in HC.....so I am confused by what you mean about the last two books. Of course you know I will buy all six books if there are six books in the series because I am a devoted fan. If I have misunderstood set me straight, and please forgive me because it always takes me awhile after I've been to the studio to process language because I have been using a totally different part of the brain while painting....is that what you mean by the last two books?

Will they offer a boxed set or something cool for fans (like an incentive) to buy the newly packaged books? That would be cool.

Am I the only one confused?:skeptical: Of course it would not be the first time.....:wlaugh:

jeant
11-19-2009, 03:19 PM

In your sweet time!!! But, please, write it!!! Your health comes first. Thanks for the explaination about the covers.

Jill, I am glad you said that. It wasn't clear to me either. What 2 books? I don't know if I could stand waiting on 2 more in the series........... Hope we get an explaination!!

Jill
11-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Doh!!! Nevermind. I get it now...you are talking about the last two softcovers since Dreamfever in softcover has not been released yet. The left side of my brain is slowly waking up!!! *sorry*:sad1:

lilchubb
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm working with the art dept. on the cover for Shadowfever while also looking ahead at the series to follow. I'd like to open a very frank dialogue about cover art.

1. What are some of your favorite covers, and why? (Please post thumbnails or small images)

3. What do you like to see on the covers of books you're currently buying? What do you not like to see?

4. What do you honestly think of the first four covers in my Fever series? You won't hurt my feelings here.

I know I've thrown a lot of questions at you, but I'm looking at the designs for Shadowfever and planning the next series and Iwant all the input from readers that I can get.

Thanks!

wow, a little late to the party I see. *sigh*

anywho:
1) A pretty cover that comes right to my mind (because I walked by it on the bookstand an hour ago) is Diana Gabaldon's An Echo in the Bone--it's simple, yet intriguing, and beautiful, but not fruffy...I'm not sure that's a word, but it's the only way I could think of describing it!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SCpWHUB7UzI/SlzwtEKyISI/AAAAAAAACWo/f3r5uZHWCZM/s200/An+Echo+in+the+Bone.JPG
Also intriguing, contrasting, mysterious, and within reach are:
James Rollins: "The Doomsday Key"
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BLoFdDCjzTA/SoliHmsw8aI/AAAAAAAAABo/89SryEffdqs/s400/lean_six_sigma_doomsday_key.jpg
(very reminiscent of the Bloodrush Cd--which I think is the prettiest one I own =)
Shana Abe: "The Smoke Thief"
http://pnr.thebestreviews.com/images/covers/0553804480.jpeg (http://sweetwaterlibraries.com/sclsblogs/readeronthesamepage/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/doomsday-key1.gif)
Wilbur Smith: "Assegai"
http://edge.shop.com/ccimg.shop.com/op/131630000/131630800/131630855/-!Assegai%20--image.jpg
They're all simple, but have an eye-catching contrast to them which is always good.

2) As some has said before, I'm not a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse covers--I don't want to look like I'm reading a YA novel unless i really am reading a YA novel.

3) I haven't bought many books lately due to the new (yuck) budget, so I'm not sure about any cover trends.

4) I love the Fever covers--although I do like Dark/Fae/Blood moreso than Dream. I'm not sure why--maybe because Mac is so clearly shown? Although the ogham was fun for me to figure out--after the contest was over, naturally. LOL.

5) As far as future design, I like a haunting cover--one that you can get out of your mind until you buy the darn book and read it 17.89824 times. We all know that you can't judge a book by it's cover, but you can't judge a book unless its cover jumps out at you from the 14 bazillion others available at Books-a-Million lol.:snick:

On that note, I thought the previous Fever covers did that, especially Dark/Fae/Blood, but I'm always open for a re-vamp!

Right. Back to the salt mines--good luck with the redesign!

DoberDawn
11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Barrons is definitely NOT the first Keltar, LOL...

Did the Earth stop revolving on its axis?????

Have we achieved world peace???

How can we explain this amazing event????

KAREN ANSWERED A QUESTION ABOUT BARRONS!!!!!

:rofl4:

Viking Princess
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM

:rofl4: someone should probably check her temperature :snick:

*Fae*Baby*
11-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Well...
She said he wasnt the FIRST Kelter
which doesnt rule out that he isnt a decendant of the Kelters...
Which taken by the obvious amnimosity the Kelters have for Barrons makes me think he isnt a Kelter at all
But who knowsssssss....
ONLY KAREN!!! LOL

Jill
11-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Y'all are so bad....but she never said he was not a MacKeltar...no, She. Did. NOT!!!! Just that he is definitely not the first Keltar...... He is the lost Dageus, I tell ya!!!:s16:

Viking Princess
11-19-2009, 06:31 PM
:skeptical: You guys will be the death of me. I swear it.

macsalterego
11-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Did I just miss important info? I must have blinked!:shocked: Must go back to last point I checked in here!:sFun_banghead2:

Stapes
11-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Did I just miss important info? I must have blinked!:shocked: Must go back to last point I checked in here!:sFun_banghead2:

Just go back to page 26

macsalterego
11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Just go back to page 26

I have HBacks for the home and PBacks for the road. Nope, no obsession here. :nah: If I buy all new PBacks my husband will think I'm nuts.:snick: Hopefully they'll look so different on the covers he'll just think I bought new stories. HA!

Stapes
11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
I have HBacks for the home and PBacks for the road. Nope, no obsession here. :nah: If I buy all new PBacks my husband will think I'm nuts.:snick: Hopefully they'll look so different on the covers he'll just think I bought new stories. HA!

I have hardbacks and paperbacks too. And 2 hardbacks of Dreamfever--1 signed and 1 reading copy. When the new covers come out I will be buying them. That, I believe, is why we are called maniacs, right?

Nurslings
11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
:skeptical: You guys will be the death of me. I swear it.

Now you know why I have been staying out of the DRF Forum :snick:

SummerRses
11-20-2009, 12:18 AM
I always wondered why the book cover for Darkfever was so different and didn't seem to match what it was about! Now that I see what was planned ...the "book that never was" ...it makes so much sense.

(Oh, and by the way, the cover art fits perfectly for the title "Night of the Highlander".)

Thanks for sharing that with us! That was an interesting tidbit. I can see now that writing a book involves more than just "writing a book". lol :th_nod:

p.s. when I read that it was "the story about the first Keltar and I still can't shake it." I was so glad! :snick: A great book to look forward to in the future!

SummerRses
11-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Bantam Dell is repackaging the entire series, not just one or two of them. I dithered over this for a long time. As a reader, I hate having a mismatched set and I didn't want to destroy the continuity of cover art, at least not in paperback. The HC was never going to match anyway, with the original DF being that darned clinch. And I certainly never want to put readers in the position of feeling they have to re-buy something they already have. I'm hoping you can just enjoy the new package for the last two novels, and forget that they don't match, and NOT buy a second copy. We'll hold lots of contests for freebies here at my site once they're available, so sit tight. I know how tough the economy is right now. I lost a year of work last year...long story for another time and maybe never, LOL. But I do understand that every dollar counts.

What wonderful news!! Will they be out in time for Christmas?! (I need something to put on my wish list for my kids to get me ...if not, there's always Groundhog Day, or Valentine's Day, or St. Patrick's Day. I'm sure I can find some excuse. :snick:)

Also, Karen, thanks for your thoughtfulness! You never forget our needs, our real lives. Now we have contests and freebies to look forward to, as well as more stories, for those of us that can't buy them right now! You are an exceptional author, in more ways than one.:th_nod:

(But I hope we don't disappoint you ...I think many of us will be buying the new books for our collections.) I can't wait to see them! I know they'll be wonderful and look forward to seeing how much the cover art will impact the market.

Take care of yourself, stay healthy and happy, (and don't turn away any stories that come knocking on your door...lol...that way will have books to always look forward to. :wbiggrin:)

SummerRses
11-20-2009, 12:47 AM
... and I would feed my family red beans and rice for an entire week to afford the series even if it were available in hardcover (I am not a slummy mummy....red beans and rice does a body good!)

Absolutely! I agree - healthy meal! :snick:

...When the new covers come out I will be buying them. That, I believe, is why we are called maniacs, right?

Yes, Stapes, you're got that right! :th_nod:

...Hopefully they'll look so different on the covers he'll just think I bought new stories. HA!

LOL ...I hadn't thought of that, Macsalterego! :wlaugh:

DeeS
11-20-2009, 08:21 AM
the first Keltar, LOL...

ahh not the first .. but that doesn't mean he can't be a Keltar .....
hmmmm
:thinking:

Or a Douglas ... or a Brody ....

You know .. Thanksgiving is approaching ..

Ollie
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM

:snick:

Wildernessgirl
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
I love buying hardbacks and even more so when the cover is well done. I really liked the covers to Harry Potter, The Golden Compass, etc. The art was very well done. If the covers are very well done sometimes I will even buy the book without knowing if I like the author or it will make me pick up the book at bookstore to find out what it is about.

I don't care for covers that use thinner or glossy material for cover on hardbacks. It gets damaged and the glossy ones always have fingerprints on them as well. I like covers that are thicker and feel like paper. They seem to hold up better as well.

I thought the Highlander covers were very well done. It was more understated and I like the kilts, cuffs etc that let reader know it was related to Scotland. The models used and the way they were drawn helped indicate what the novel was about. I think understated like the highlander books were helped draw a reader in because they want to know what the book is about and are intrigued by the cover.

The covers for the Fever series were okay but not ones I would want to show off on book shelves like other books I have bought. I did like the cover that was used for Darkfever that show Jericho and Mac on cover. Not sure why. I liked as well how a clue was used on cover of Dreamfever.

Not sure how the book covers need to be changed. Maybe more like Highlander books? Maybe a different character used on cover. The first one had Jericho and Mac and was very well done. Maybe Christian, Dani or V'lane on another? When models are used for characters I like when not too much of face is revealed so that the reader is not distracted but how much he or se doesn't look like how they thought character would look.

I wouldn't mind seeing bookstore, abbey, hallow, etc on cover as well. Maybe fortress or prison in next book if it's relevant? I like it when the cover reveals something.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful to you. I suppose what I like changes from author to author and depends on the book as well. I hope you are doing well. Take care!

Wildernessgirl
11-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I love the covers to Dave Barry and whoever else he writes with books about Peter Pan as well.

Wildernessgirl
11-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Okay here's one more from Sundays at Tiffany by James Patterson.

lilchubb
11-20-2009, 12:24 PM

you do it...I think I'm going to pass out.:biglaugh::swoon:

lilchubb
11-20-2009, 12:28 PM
You know .. Thanksgiving is approaching ..

Yep--and isn't Thanksgiving a time for sharing???

:60:
lmao

lucydan1
11-20-2009, 05:10 PM

3. What do you like to see on the covers of books you're currently buying? What do you not like to see?:60:

Thanks!

Dear Karen:60:
I have loved all the Fever Series covers they are so engrossing and looking at them makes me want to see what's new!

The emotions they evoke are right on the money, and never disappoint!
I haven't been disappointed with the art work or the suttle use of colors and shadows!
I have every one of Fever series books and also Highlander Books :60:
I can't find anything I do not like!:wwink:

The only thing I can suggest is don't change a thing, I love them!

Thanks Lucydan1

laurasue
11-20-2009, 07:03 PM

My favorite covers are simple... I'm not often attracted to a book by it's cover... (which makes me sound kind of "doesn't judge a book by it's cover" and open minded huh? Funny...) I consider what other people are reading more than I consider covers. Unless, of course, it's Thoreau or Steinbeck. Ugh.

I'm not into the bare chested male/heaving bosoms covers. I mean I don't really care what people think I'm reading but I really don't care for reading about heaving bosoms and bare chests...

I'm currently reading Under The Dome ~Stephen King except that I left it in my office at work so I'm going to start reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. There's nothing overly fantastic about those covers. But I will tell you that I love the covers of The Looking Glass Wars books by Frank Bedor. They are intriguing. The books are fantastic too.

The covers of the first books were ok, nothing wrong with them. Maybe a bit simpler though?

Again... I'm simple. I'd go with a black cover with red lettering. Boring, eh?

I really, really, really think that your books are fantastic! I will admit that I'm hot for JZB and I'm not a girl that gets caught up in that Twilight-esque so and so (Team Jacob/Team Edward) "is so hot" thang. Your series is refreshing in it's storyline and characters. I read A LOT (2-3 books a week) and I picked up FaeFever on a whim... I think it was a recommendation on the B & N site. I plowed thru all four within a week and a half and recommended them to all my reader friends. (Does everyone separate their friends into the "readers" and "non-readers"????) I cannot WAIT for ShadowFever!

Thanks!

~LauraSue:wwink:

Meaghin
11-20-2009, 10:31 PM
I really liked all the covers for the Fever series and the Highlander series (obviously, whats not to love?) I found the first Fever book in a drug store and was immediately snagged by the cover. I took it home with me and read it in about 12 hours, raced out for the next one, and then read the complete Highlander series while waiting for book #3 last year. What a wait.

My favorite covers are ones who reflect a true sense of the book inside. I love the covers for Rachel Gibson's books, Jennifer Cruise's books, and Gena Showalter's books. And, as always, halk-naked hotties never hurt!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:: notworthy:

fyrefay
11-22-2009, 03:49 PM
:s5::47:
Dear Everyone,
I'd forgotten(how could I???) about Adam's penchant for his lady Gabby's panties...:swoon::apiper:
I can't wait for the new book to arrive, as well...
Hugs and love,
Tina

sfesmire
11-22-2009, 11:41 PM
I like the Faefever cover the best. Much is left to the imagination.

cnjyoung07
11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
1. Out of all of the books that I have ever read, your covers have been my favorite. They are not so abstract that you have no idea what the artist is trying to depict but they are also not so blatant as to give away the entire story line.

2. and 3. I cannot stand covers that depict a male and female together. I actually tend to ignore them when I see them. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its' cover but these covers cause me to do just that.
I am happiest when the book has one or no characters on the front. This way I can let my imagination create the characters. And as an added bonus, I can read the book in public without being mortified that someone might see the cover.

4. I absolutely love them! I particularly love books three and four because the covers depict Mac's transition as she finally lets go of her former (pink loving) self and embraces who she has become.

5. I truly don't know. This is not an easy question to answer since it would require that I sit down and analyze each book very thoroughly. Unfortunately, I have become very biased about these books; I LOVE everything about them! You have done a great job and between the Fever series and the Highlander series I have become a life-long fan.

SummerRses
11-24-2009, 08:52 AM
After I checked out a new paperback yesterday, I stopped, and thought why did I pick it up and buy it? (This thread made me more aware of this.) :th_nod:

I concluded two things ...first the cover art caught my eye, but also because it was larger than traditional paperbacks, I was drawn to those books first. (It's about 5 1/2 X 8 inches.)

I noticed that most of the newer urban fantasy books seemed to be larger too. Could that also be a marketing point that's working too?

MoningRocks
11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Karen, the only thing I can say is that all my fav covers have one thing in common, they never show the face. Maybe a jaw line or something like that but the face is hidden or not shown at all. Leaves my imagination to fill in the rest.

My fav covers of yours are the ones that show a muscular arm or chest w/a celtic tattoo and just the shadow of the jaw but I like all your covers, the fever series is great I think.

princess_evermore
11-25-2009, 12:15 AM
As much as I'd like to say I don't judge a book by its cover, in a sense I do because I pick up a book based on whether or not I like the cover. I think you have done well on the covers so far.
1. I like it when they don't show the actual face of the caracters on the covers even if they show a person. For example: in your latest release of dreamfever you have the character facing away so you just get the image of the back side which is good.
2. It's also effective when some kind of symbolism is put on the cover that doesn't make sense until you read the book. For example: kim harrion's the good, the bad, and the undead has this cover:
http://www.harpercollins.com/HarperImages/Images/27004%5CPhotoAlbums%5C175%5C27004_11023_Thumbnail. jpg

until you read the book you have no idea what the pentagram or the candle mean. In all of your previous book covers for the fever series you have an image of dublin in some way whether it just be the street or a broader view. You should keep the image of dublin on the cover in some way. It connects the books together.
2. The covers that don't work well are defidently something cartoony. The sookie stackhouse series is defidently covers that don't work well. It makes me think the series is meant to appeal to 5 year olds.
3. The stuff I like to see on book covers is basically what i described in #1
4. I honestly like the first 4 covers of the fever series. There is a different feel between the first 3 covers and the 4th cover. The first three seem mysterious and evasive. The fourth one gives you more of an idea of what's going to happen in the book. Both types work but I like the second one better. There's just more to look at and it makes you really wonder what else is going to happen in the book.
5. I would stick with something that's more like the feeling of the 4th cover. I would keep dublin in the background art some how, keep the main character on the cover without showing a face and don't put any of the other characters on the cover because this is her story not theirs, and maybe work some symbolism on the cover.
This is just what I think, but your covers are defidently on the right track because I find books based on covers and that's how I found your books. I figure if the artist has similar taste in art as I do then we have similar tastes in books as well. Even though that may not be true it's work for me well so far. I hope this information helps. If you have any questions or what not you can just mail me.
[/URL][URL="http://midori237.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dead-until-dark.jpg"] (http://midori237.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dead-until-dark.jpg)

bahopkins
11-25-2009, 08:30 AM

Thanks!

Well... I rarely judge a book by it's cover, but there have been times that one has caught my eye and caused me to pick it up and at least read the back to see if it's something that would interest me. One series in particular is the Lynn Kurland time travel books, the ones that caught my eye were the ones with flags on the covers that looked Scottish. She quickly became one of my favorite authors. Another is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. The cover of Outlander was so simple, just a Scottish crest, but the story within that book is so good that I actually dream about it (and much to my husbands dismay talk in my sleep about it).
I agree with those who have said that having actual faces on the covers are not good. I tend to let my imagination go wild when I read and I really don't want a pre-conceived notion of what some model looks like when they rarely live up to the discription in the book. A good example of that would be the Melissa Mayhue books, the people on the covers look nothing like the ones described in the book and it was a bit distracting to me, the books are good, the cover art is not.
I loved the art on the last few Fever books, and actually had the cover of Dream Fever on my computer desktop for quite awhile!! The one thing that I did not like is that Mac had a really big butt!! But that is just my opinion. Being a large person myself, I tend to get lost in the fantasy of these perfect bodied characters and have on occasion (mostly with the MacKeltar books) pathetically pictured the girls looking like I would like to. I know it's sad but when you escape into the fantasy of a story you have the unlimited power of your own mind to picture what you want.
With that being said I would like to see the same theme being carried out with the next one, but since DF was left on such a cliffhanger in another 'dimension' from the Hall of Souls, maybe show that landscape. I know that throughout the series it has been made clear that this is a story of hope but if anyone can convey the darkness that Mac is currently in with a touch of hope thrown in your artists are the ones to make it happen. I have every faith that you will come thru with another stunning book cover that will be eye catching as well as true to the theme of the story.

*Tara*
11-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm glad you asked, because I can honestly say that I really LIKE all the Fever covers and have always liked the sort of obscure, dark edge to them. I especially like that there's no cheesiness going on (i.e. some guy half naked sprawled all over some girl). Don't get me wrong- I love the romance stuff IN the books, I just prefer the more simple covers.

I like the idea someone put out about having the dark book from the series be the cover of Shadowfever. I don't know if you've seen Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series covers (the latest ones) but they're just solid colors, each with a symbol on the front. I really like the simplicity of those.

In a nutshell-- I'm loving the Fever book covers so if you keep it simple and shadowy like that, FABULOUS.

:smile:

lissaannb
11-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Karen Marie

Thanks!

I get so frustrated when the cover has two blondes in an imbrace and in the book one or both are desribed as anything but blondes. I go back and forth looking from the story to the cover, and get really pissed because it ruins the image I have of the people.
I also hate when the cover is a generic couple in a non desript scene, that give no hint at the story.
i.e When the character is where a uniform then I know to expect that it will the story will involve the military or police (whichever uniform it is).

I like that the cover gives a hint to the story. Babies, doctors in unifrom, pregancies, race cars, ect.

I will say, it took me awhile to figure out why your Fever books were named what they were named, (well into the first book). The titles have to fit or you may never remember them to suggest them to others.

I like the Fever covers. I would like to see Jerico, but his character would have to be in the shadows, mostly hidden. Maybe just a hand or arm or his back, showing his some of his tats, an like her, not showing his face.

I also don't like covers changing significantly through out the series.
I'm reading Vampire Queen Betsy books and her 7th, 8th and 9th book are changing significantly. She is showing that the story is changing from a funny vampire series to one with a more serious story line. NOT why I started reading them. I will try the 7th to see if its to my liking anymore.
The first one had funny, vivid covers. Bright pinks that reminded you of children's books. The next ones are darker and look more like detective or murder mystery books. Anyway, when I line up a series on a book shelf, I like them to look alike to know they belong together. Similar in series.

Melissa

Melonie
11-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Karen, how cool (and savvy) of you to come to your readers for ideas! I hope you get a chance to read each of our comments, and come away with some good ideas...if I tried to read all 200+ comments right now myself I'd be up all night! SO I will skip to answering your questions, and if I repeat what others have said, well, must mean I am on to a good thing, eh?

1. What are some of your favorite covers, and why? (Please post thumbnails or small images) I have to say I love the simplicity of Meyers' Twilight series (the original, not the movie versions). I think part of the success of that series is due to those gorgeous, classy covers, even with the overdone innuendo (fragile flower, tempting sinful apple, etc) I think they were incredibly well done and timeless - which, in my mind, is very important for a cover to be. I also think the author Jhumpa Laphiri's novels are beautiful, and they are books I actually like to keep out in plain sight because they are interesting and lovely.http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x202/BLISSpic/interpreter.gif
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x202/BLISSpic/namesake.jpg

2. What are some covers that don't work for you, and why? (Images, please.) The clinch covers - you know, the bosom heaving pirate shirt flying embraces - those just don't work for me. Pretty much any kind of digital photo work is a big no-no too.

3. What do you like to see on the covers of books you're currently buying? A Simple, single image, unique classy fonts, not too much in the way of story blurbs and critic's comments. I think Diana Gabaldon's book do a nice job with this.

What do you not like to see?
Something that clearly dates the book - marks it as "2009" forever by clothing or hair, etc. Pretty much any Harlequin category romance, I have never been able to really take them seriously because of the nachosupreme cheese of the covers.

4. What do you honestly think of the first four covers in my Fever series? You won't hurt my feelings here. I think the pbrelease of DF with the Dublin cityscape and lamp was awesome, much better than the clinch for so many reasons. That is probably my favorite of the Fever covers, and I think it appeals to a much wider spur-of-the-moment buying audience.

5. How do you think the covers for the Fever series might be better portrayed? I Anytime you can avoid showing a character it is a good thing - as readers we like to create that for ourselves...though images of specific locations (if real and not created) are always helpful...I would have liked to see an image of the Cuff of Cruce, or something similar like the spear or amulet - set against a solid color background with just the title and your name.

Thanks!

Alchemist
11-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey

Just like to say that the fever series is excellent, I don't enjoy reading and few authors really catch me.

I really enjoy simple covers that are very contrasting and ' in-your-face' like those of the twilight series. Black, red and white are a great combination.

I'm not fond of covers that are very 'girlie' and many female books give that appearance.

I enjoyed the book covers of the previous books, but I will agree with most comments about Dreamfever. I expected Mac with darker and shorter hair but the view of the city were excellent.

acamk067
11-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I would love to see not only Shadow Fever continuing in the pattern in which you've been going, maybe something darker-with a very dark Green (After all everyone associates Ireland with green, right), But I would love to see a collectors edition come out with all four books maybe in a book box designed to look like the Dark Book. Of course after SF is already out. Hmmm, who knows, just may be an idea for a way for me to display my books in my own personal library!

Autumn13
11-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi KMM, not sure if you are still going through these, but I will add my two cents anyway

I am torn between sassy cartoons and real life pictures.
Katie MacAlister's covers for her Dragon Sept series as well as Steamed are perfect examples of the Sassy cartoons:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6Ck93tedJSI/R5dyW7pdPHI/AAAAAAAAAa4/cGFsl9vgv2o/s320/Light+My+Fire+by+Katie+MacAlister.jpg
J.D. Robb (her older hardcovers) are good examples of the real life I like
http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/118/400/401/bB3JcVzKAxcUWV4.jpg

I don't like solid, bold and bright colors. I really dislike J.D. Robb's newer covers
http://www.ttpbooks.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/kindred_id.jpg
I like darker toned with shadowed images, if that makes sense...erm...very much like your Fever series, lol.

Well, I recently bought a JD Robb book, and I've already shared my thoughts on that.
Before that was again Katie MacAlister
http://www.bookswim.com/images_books/large/Me_and_My_Shadow_Silver_Dragons_Book_3-62255.jpg
I am very partial to the color purple...it's so moody and powerful. I especially love it with soft gold (can you tell which Fever cover is my favorite yet?). I always always stop to look at a cover of a book if it has purple.
The one thing I was surprised and did NOT like about Katie's cover was the holographic on the lady's dress. That is too sparkly. I do like seeing the authors name in a very mute metallic color, though.

To be quite honest, the covers for the Fever series have been my favorites. I really enjoyed the paperback cover of Darkfever. It's rare I've actually sat there and studied a cover. (aside from V.C. Andrews, but that's because her covers consisted of 2 pages)
I don't know how to convince you I'm not saying this because I'm here at your forum, but I thought they were fantastic. I enjoyed them. I don't want crap to be thrown back at me for this, but while I enjoyed the feeling of Dreamfever, I just couldn't see that as Mac. If I think of it as in things that represent fashionable Mac going black, I can appreciate that. But the girl in Faefever...I really could see that as Mac.

Faefever is my favorite cover, but the cover of Darkfever really drew me in for some reason. Honestly, I think it was the street lamp, lol. And the city behind it. It was just...I can't describe it! It just drew me in.

I wouldn't change a thing, really. I think from my head when I read Dreamfever...the clothes on the cover didn't fit the Mac in my head. The Mac in my head was hell yeah a pretty girl, but I pictured her in boots, with some more gear strapped on, but still fashionable. The background, though...that was spot on. Perfect. I definitely got the feeling of what was going on in the world.

Even despite that, I still loved the covers. I've enjoyed them all. I've never looked forward to covers that much, and I've read countless books where I could give a rip about the cover, but I found I've always been excited to see the Fever covers. I know this isn't what you asked, but I think I speak for many when I say a large part of it is the adoration and love for the story. I want to see how Mac is looking, what her world is looking like. We want to see it through her eyes, and we get a taste of that through the cover.

Liberdade
11-27-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks!

1.Bloodfever (http://reneesbookaddiction.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/bloodfever.jpg) drew me in when I was scanning the spines of books! It just emanated danger. I also loved the cover of Soulless by Gail Carriger (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413mH2pBlhL.jpg) But thats probably because of the edgy font and the steampunk fashion! Parasol, please. A new one that really caught my eye was Leviathan by Scott Westerfield (http://scottwesterfeld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/leviathanusfinalsmall.jpg).

2. Covers with men with rippling abs, open shirts (http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/0/6066/31_2008/romancenovel.jpg) or scantily clad women (http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/107/756/400000000000000107756_s4.gif) make me not want to take the book in public. Pretty, sexy? Yes. Practical? No.

3. I like covers that really catch your eye, covers with digital or traditional painting. Like Master of Crows (http://homepage.mac.com/mercuralis/FinishedWork/MasterofCrows-text-web.jpg) or
The Child Thief (http://bromart.com/images/CT%20Cover%20Web%20large2.jpg)
and I dont like to see swooning women, shirtless men or women, or anything like that.

4. Loved them! Except the Darkfever cover with the two people in shadows. I couldnt pull that out much in public and start reading on my break.

5. I think you guys are doing a wonderful job! The scenery novel covers, the cover for Dreamfever with Mac on the tower, they work great! I'd love to see a digital painting version of what you guys have going.

BlackPanther
11-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Karen, I think you should check out the covers for

WOMEN OF A THOUSAND SECRETS BY BARBARA WOODS
DAUGHTER OF THE SUN BY BARBARA WOODS
THE PROPHETESS " "

The thing about these books is that the heroine is in the same position as MAC but trust me when you see these covers I think....no.....I know you will get a good idea.

What I dont like about book covers is when a cover of a book makes the book overall look crestfallen. I mean the story the plot the author is magnificent, but the cover makes it look less and insignificant. And why I love you is because you keep a reader hunged without any capitulation or any intercourse between the characters...you make it more intriguing and emotionally HIGH:60:

Elissa
11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Just a quick comment....I loved the Dark pictures of Dublin, plus the lamp post. But I didn't like the last one of the girl- I like my characters to develope in my head as I read. Other's perceptions never meet mine. The first three covers I thought were great!
Elissa

ChosenOne
11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi Karen!

1. What are some of your favorite covers, and why? I like covers that are eyecatching and draw me to the plot that is within. I am particularly fond of these covers from the Mortal Instrument series:http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh122/wootenlindsay/Books/ms.jpg

2. What are some covers that don't work for you, and why? I like reading romance/supernatural type novels, but I dont necessarily like the cover art that most of them take on. Like the over done Fabio type covers or the ones that are very sexual in nature. I prefer something more subtle. Something that may relate to the topic or may be relevant to the story but not totally in your face.

3. What do you like to see on the covers of books you're currently buying? The original covers for the Twilight series are a good starting point. They are basic, but I really do like them.
What do you not like to see?I think #2 answered this one :)

4. What do you honestly think of the first four covers in my Fever series? You won't hurt my feelings here. I liked the covers of the city scapes. I did see one the other day for one that had a man/woman on the front missing some clothing. I didnt care for that one at all. I dont mind silouettes of people but prefer not to see actual people because it ruins my minds eye image. I liked the cover for DreamFever, but it's not exactly how I saw Mac. For some reason I kept imagining her with shorter hair and a tattered catsuit, lol.

5. How do you think the covers for the Fever series might be better portrayed? Dont change them at all! I love the city scapes that you have done so far. They are very dark and forboding and I can feel the tone of the book before I even read it. I think that you should keep with the city scape theme but possibly do another angle and you can include a fade out picture of the dark book. Even better....Im sure someone has said it before but it would be very cool if the last book was fashioned LIKE the dark book and in the center you could have like some sort of 'crystal ball' type image of the Dublin cityscape with Mac in shadow (similar to the FaeFever cover). I am sure that your version of the Dark Book is MUCH cooler than this, but everyone likes a visual :) Something similar to this but as described above.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/my3honeybeez/DSCF2490.jpg

Whatever you decide, Karen, I am positive that it will be amazing. I cant wait for ShadowFever and your other works. Take care and be blessed this Holiday season!:wwink:

Chey
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I agree with several of the others...body/body parts no face. I liked the idea of a dark green (black to green) background. Your Highlander series already did the male parts, so you needed something slightly different to differentiate the series. You have a strong female lead and multiple male leads. Sex sells. So here are a couple redos for covers just to get you thinking...

Darkfever: Muscular female thigh strapped with a spearhead and with a male hand on the thigh. You can always keep the city in the background but with much less emphasis.

Bloodfever: Hair heldup, back of neck with tattoo, male hand holding tattooing instrument.

Faefever: Too ez...a fae prince needs to be on this one with female lead. This cover needed to be more brilliant than the prior two. This would take a little more work to be something we haven't seen a hundred times over and not overly romancey.

Forgive me if I get things out of order because I read on planes and may not recall the exact story lines of the books.

Your current artwork did not stand out in the bookstore and even though I saw them on Amazon when looking at another author, I was not intrigued enough to buy. While in a store, a clerk caught me and we talked about a different author. The clerk dragged me over to see your books and highly recommended them. It was the clerk who made the sale.

Iamgiven2
12-01-2009, 11:22 PM
As a general answer to 1-3:
My favorite book covers are simple guilded leather. Just makes them more romantic. But to really answer your question, I'd Have to say that I think the Potter books really captured the feel of the series. The artwork being in the style it was, and never too dark. The twilight books, I hated the covers, however, from a marketing standpoint, their bold monochromatic covers really draw they eye when you're looking for a new read.
4. The covers weren't great. I like that they all drew from a signifigant piece of each story, (except from the first, and you explained why). I did not like the style in which they were done though. I'm not sure what style would have fit better though. I espescially do not like the depiction of "Mac". Its nothing like in my head and I don't think that much of "her" should have been on a cover.
5.Perhaps the covers might have been able to have been made bolder if each had just a single hallow on each cover. The most signifigant hallow of each book. Maybe the spear on darkfever, the amulet on bloodfever, maybe idk the sword on feafever and a silver on dreamfever.

ShadedGray
12-04-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm not going to add my two cents to this since we're on the last book of the series now, but I just want to say that the cover art has been ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I loved the feel of them and, looking over the art that's been posted here, can clearly see that the fan's opinions were taken into account. That's pretty impressive, since I know a lot of times publishers do whatever they want with covers.

Risika
12-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Okay
You are doing awesome when it comes to the covers!
I found DarkFever in an old bookstore and the reason i bought it was because of the cover and that it took place in Ireland *Giggles*

I love covers that give a feel to the story. Something that makes me want to know more.

All of the covers for the Fever series have been works of art!

And i can't wait to see what ShadowFever will look like!

becca6036
12-14-2009, 01:53 AM
I read all of them but Need and Fallen very catchy!!:arghhh: All the illustrations look great and catch your eye!!:60:

becca6036
12-14-2009, 01:55 AM
What about Barrons' tattoo designed by Mia really B*I*G on a very glossy white cover with a pretty bold black font!?!? The tattoo could be embossed, or the title could be embossed.

Now that would get my attention, and I am not even a big tattoo fan....

It would also get the attention of both men and women...:th_nod:

Karen Marie Moning
New York Times bestselling author
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/rickijilltrip/ztat2.jpg
[SIZE="7"]Shadowfever[/SIZeE]
That would be awsome looking!!:60:

becca6036
12-14-2009, 03:14 AM
I thinking about this question and I remembered Darkfever Audiobook had a really cool cover!! Dreamfever is my favorite cover with Mac and the city but this cover is really hot looking!!

likerussell
12-14-2009, 09:04 AM
I will admit that I really goofed by judging your first Fever book by the cover. I assumed ( and we know what that means) it was just a smutty romance. So I passed it by. Only after my Mom kept after me to read it for almost a year I did. And I now it is my favorite book! I really like the covers you did after that first one. I think it just didn't represent the book at all.

Lorilou
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Thanks!

1. I like the covers that give one an idea of what the book is about, but don't have complete pictures of actual people (the ones in my head are always so much more attractive).

2. I couldn't find any good cover images (or bad ones, as the case may be), but please avoid anything cartoon. Also, the covers that have a woman leaning on a man like she is too weak to stand on her own turn me off.

3. In addition to my previous answers, I don't mind a really built chest and arms (love biceps).

4. I love the cover of Faefever. It is definitely my favorite one. Not as keen on the Darkfever cover. I think the Highlander covers are good, too.

5. I think the covers are good. Perhaps adding some images of OOPs? Clues to the story?

Sometimes I read something and I think that it is completely in line with my thinking, such as the following:
"I love books, by the way, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself. Movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style,park your own car out front. My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with. Case in point, those darned Harry Potter movies. That was so not what that part-Veela-chick, Fleur Delacour, looked like."
Karen Marie Moning (Darkfever)

I think the covers should leave something to the imagination.

Thanks for asking for our input. I hope that it is helpful.

Lori

DanteJZB
12-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Just from the top of my mind:

1) lokk at the picture and you will see what i am trying to sya. In that being the case, Second Fiddle, I think you should have Mackayla in the Hall of All Days, Standing there in white, holding the stones that belongs to Barrons.

2)I like alot of covers, I can't say I do like them all, but anything that had flowers on it, it seems like a funeral.

3)I like anything. I do not, again, want to see flowers, anything that relates to death, because that will be a SPOILER.

4)I have all hard covers, and my Darkfever hardcover is different from the softcover, so I always kept thinking that they were going to make love. :biglaugh: I think you making all the covers like that is clever. you keep me trying to guess what will happen next.

5)---- :60:

Zoef
12-19-2009, 07:00 AM
I really like the purple-ish cover of Faefever.
Why: it looks mysterious but also pretty. You don't know who that girl is, walking there and the whole scene is just exciting. It makes you want to know what is in the book.

The cover of Dreamfever was one that I liked a little less. Here you see Mac looking over a burning Dublin. It is impressive, but Mac is a bit too 'detailed' in the picture. You see exactly who she is and what is going on with her. The burning city is mysterious, but Mac on that cover isn't... I like mysterious :D

Lyssa
12-19-2009, 07:36 PM
My fav covers are those that convey 'feelings' rather than personalities within the books. (My copy of Darkfever (text) was paperback and that image worked much better than the two people reflected in the hardcover.)

Those that don't work, any cover that might date a cover, Most older romance titles for instance. Look at the older covers for the Highlander series then the covers where just a man's arm is imaged. The second example will stand the test of time.

I like strong graphics. The landscapes of the fever books work for me.

I liked the first three the most (note I have audio first then text, so I have pb of the first 2.) The inclusion of Mac hanging off the church in Dreamfever made that not as perfect for me, though I appreciated the clues in the painting, and the image itself was well done.

I don't see these books as romance, so the images of Dublin works well for me.

There you go my view!

jananjones
12-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I really like the Faefever cover, but I didn't like the Darkfever cover with the two people on it. It didn't fit the plot of the story. But I love the fusion of colors on the Fever series' books! I think my favorite book cover I've seen is the Heir to Sevenwaters UK cover (book by Juliet Marillier). The cover artist must have read the book because it suits the story so well. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should incorporate more of the story into the cover. Or more simply put, put Barrons on the cover please and don't let it be Gerard Butler (yuck).

murph55
12-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah, they say not to judge a book by but coverart is so important, isn't it? When I was working with the cover artist on my two books, it was agonizing making the final decision as to what would be be commercially attractive and yet stay true to the story.

I love all the Fever covers, honestly, but my favorite coverart, I think, of the whole series was actually the first - Darkfever. Coming in second is Faefever - those cobblestone streets of Dublin are a magnet for me.

Since I am in love with Ireland, the Darkfever cover sucked me right in when I saw it on the shelf of the bookshop. I KNEW immediately it was a Dublin-scape and since Dublin is one of my favorite places in the world...

Although I'd never read any of your other books before, the view of the Liffey at night - even if it was cover art - simply took my breath away. It was just like I remembered it. I grabbed the book, read the back cover, and the rest was history.

Frankly, I never have been a fan of those silly covers with lovers languishing in various stages of undress. It's overkill. My imagination needs no help from the graphic artist in this department, thank you very much.

Like several other readers, I HATE having the characters drawn out for me because in my mind, I already KNOW what they look like. Please save that inevitable unavoidablity for the movie :) and may the Fates see that he who plays Barrons be worthy.

That being said, my least favorite cover was the last, because of the stylized Mac "fleshed out" on the cover. I preferred her in the shadow version on Faefever, if indeed it is necessary to put anyone on the cover.

My suggestion is go back to the suggestibility of a Dublin cityscape - and find a centerpoint that will be prominent in the story. I liked the use of the Liffey, the Ha'Penny (I think it is) Bridge, the cobblestone streets, etc as the main subject of the cover, with the city as a backdrop. The style creates a provocative and suspenseful prelude to the story. So far the covers have pretty much followed through on the Dublin theme - why change?

I have liked the vivid coloration with each book. It creates a paranormal feel when coupled with the realistic city scape.

This is a great series, Karen. I've turned a lot of friends onto the series and they all love it too. We are anxiously - yet sadly - awaiting the last book.

Shadowfever...it's become a murky, misty, malevolent mess in Dublin, hasn't it?

Thank you!

dreamburr
12-30-2009, 10:52 PM
This might be totally different from anything you've thought up of, but what of doing the entire cover in black? Emboss the characters from the series on it or the name of the book or both, but this is the final book--the end. I've never seen a totally black book cover before and if it is done correctly it might look really good. The title "Shadowfever" hints at the idea of dark times, and make the inside leaflets white or some bright color to emphasize the good ending--crossing my fingers for one for Mac here. Also, it'll be Mac's confrontation with the Book and if anything, the mystery of what happens between the start and the end is most like a black pit of imagination gone wild. On the same token, you might try white. Who knows?

Other than that, I really like your covers so far. It's just so tricky to think of a good scheme for a book cover that hasn't been done a thousand times over. I agree with a previous post that I really don't care for the covers that have these damsels in distress on them that are done by painters. Photos are better--much much better. I really don't care for covers that hint at eroticism--when I purchase hardbacks like that I usually take the cover off so at least I can go out in public with it. *blush* :wlaugh:

Kesali
12-31-2009, 06:08 AM
Cover art is the eye catcher, the draw to a book. It can be the greatest novel in the world but if its by an author you're not specifically looking for or fond of if the cover uhm, stinks or is bland I know I'll just pass it by.
This is a visual society.
There are novels I've bought strictly because of the cover (some turned out good, some I just look at the cover 'cause the book was bad).

I love art- good art rather than photos. The Patricia Briggs covers for the Mercy Thompson novels come to mind, the Charles Vess covers for Charles de LInt. IMO it makes the book a two-fold pleasure- art and literature. I go to TOR.com and just cruise the "gallery" there.
If I could ever have one of my novels published and I had any say in it at all- I'd see if I could get Ruth Thompson or Vess or one of the good (aka, the late Michael Turner) comic artists to do cover for it.

Uhm, I'm sick to death of tough girls in lowslung leather pants with barely there tops and tattoo's all over with bitchy expressions. I love covers that actually reflect the content of the novel. And of course I love a hot guy on the cover- that will make me look faster than anything (lol). An example of a cover that soooo doesn't work for me is "Skin Trade" by LKHamilton. Yuk. It is just gruesome and dull.

Color or really well done black and white. I love b&w.It is so elegant and it more than any color image- b&w is all about shadows and the play of light.
What is on the covers I usally by are hot sexy men, Irish Wolfhounds and lush backgounds.
I don't like to see just type and/or blaring color ( Ex Koontz "Breathless" is an ugly cover even with the IW on it. PS- that's why I bought it. I hate the way he writes)

Love them. I also love the artwork on your site. There are a lot of talented artists here.
Wouldn't it be way too cool to have Mia's JZB tattoo incorporated into the cover? Either as a graffitti on a wall, or on a hot male or just as part of a celtic design?

The cover for Dreamfever was nice but not very detailed. There was Mac and just this general background. Put some "clues" in the covers. Make people find the answers (they think) in the image as well as in the pages. Details.
And I was dissappointed in the lack of images of the male "leads" anywhere- even if they are not portraits. Again I love the website graphic for Faefever & Dreamfever where Jackie Escadao(The Drakness) is used as JZB- no face just the shadowshape of a man along with Mac and the Demon face ( also from The Darkness) in Sinsar Dubh. That graphic would have made a killer cover.
Maybe someone from TopCow could design a cover... LOL!

If it was me- I'd love Shadowfever to show the main characters with their shadows thrown - but the shadow is distorted perhaps revealing what that being really is. Ex- if JZB is the beast- then his shadow would be that of the beast. If JZB is the UK- then he would be therein his flappy coat but the shadow would have wings instead.

Thank you KMM. That you ask for and consider your fans preferences is awesome. You are terrific!:60:

I have images of likes/don't like but don't know how to post them! Blonde senior moment.

orphee
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
something tasteful, desighish or very cartoonish -
do not portray at all - leave it opened to the imagination
i do not personally like the romance novel type - your stories are so more complex so i find it diminishes the impact upon browsing (new reader)

MacKayla23
01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
1. Some of my favourite covers actually include the Fever series. I like how each cover has a specific colour tone, and i cant wait to see Shadowfever. In general, i like ones where the title stands out, either due to a cool font or even a metalic sheen.

2. Some covers that dont really work for me are ones with characters portrayed in an overly cartoon-like style. I also completely agree with this quote by murph55

Frankly, I never have been a fan of those silly covers with lovers languishing in various stages of undress. It's overkill. My imagination needs no help from the graphic artist in this department, thank you very much.

3. On covers im currently buying, i want to see some sort of image relating to the plot, but almost like a teaser, something that stays with me. And if its really detailed, i even just admire the cover for an hour in the store :p

4. Regarding your covers for the Fever series, i can honestly say i love them. Your colour tones were perfect for each plot. A difference that i noticed between Faefever and the previous 2 books was that there was a girl (i hope im right in assuming its Mac) on it. I was just wondering why you chose to add Mac to the Faefever cover, and not on the previous ones? Im just curious. But i must say that with the Dreamfever cover, you completely blew me away. I actually like how you dont show Mac's face, since it again teases at a certain idea, but lets the reader imagine the complete character. And the golden colour tone? PERFECT! Dreamfever is spectacular, and completely portrays the stronger side of Mac that we see at this point of the story.

5. While i cant possibly imagine better covers for the books in the Fever series already released, i would love to see Barrons on Shadowfever, but no definite picture. I love the Dublin city scape that you portray throughout all the covers, and if you could show a shadowy Jericho in a location that i can only describe as "his element", that would be fantastic.

smjazzkim
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Have you see that frankenstein book thats out. I read it because i kept grabbing it to read what it was about. I actually even bought it and then never finished it. I read a book a day. The metalic sheen on the covers is very catchy. Then of course grab them with the summary. I liked Dreamfever a bit, the cover that is , loved the book even though I am now mad that I dont have the last book to find out what happens:) Thought the spear should have been more interesting and that alone could have stood out - just a thought. I worked in advertizing so i look differently then most. Your books are much better than the ones Im finding at check out, etc. I like the doom and gloomness but go too far with that and people may over look it thinking its horror. Thank you for sharing the fever, please hurry so i can read more.

ZinaLynch
01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Hello Karen and All,
I , ok, ok I know I haven't been around much but I am making a New Years resolution to do better. Plus I'm kinda quiet anyway. It took me forever to go through all the email I had after all my trips. Plus there's 1 pc for 7 to share. I will be getting my own when we get out tax return this year.

Anyway I've been thinking about the cover art. Don't know if it's finished or not but here's my two cents worth.
I love your new covers for the Highlander's books Karen and I also like the covers for Kathryn Smith's Brotherhood of the Blood series.
I agree that your covers for your Fever series are perfect as it is Mac against the world so to speak.
I was thinking that maybe adding Dani in the background with Mac and the other sidhe' seers even further in the background and maybe haveing Jerrico, Christain, V'lane and the rest of the McKelter good guys behind Dani and smaller of course, like a layered effect.
My mind set is having the face front infront of all the destruction. So we have Mac large as life infront then Dani about 1/2 size behind with the sword. Then the "heros" behind her and smaller then almost like mist in the background the sidhe' seers.

Then I thought I really do think having them face away might be better and more like the last few covers. So we still start out small like mist in the background with the sidhe' seers, then a little larger the "heros" then just before Mac we have Dani in a ready but non-chalant with her sword up on her shoulder, maybe looking back at bit at Mac with a grin that says "This is gonna be fun. I can't wait to kill." Then we have Mac, standing ready, waiting with her spear tip. She's IT, she's, "The buck stops here!" ; the last stand, it goes no further than her or it's over.

Hope you can picture that.

Zina:jiggy:

Rose McKeon
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Yes! I very much agree with this. I like covers that are a tease, that draw you in, not just words on a blah background, or the racy romance grips on some books. Other than the Fever series, I enjoy the covers of Julie Garwood and Linda Howard. Sorry could not get thumbnails to copy, but they can be seen on Amazon... Thanks, Rose McKeon

Rose McKeon
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Karen: Have to agree with Kesali's answers too. Of all your covers BloodFever was my least favorite. I know the red was to enforce the Blood title, but it did not "pop" for me as much as the other covers. And DreamFever was my favorite, so many details (and hidden runes) and the cityscape in flames. DF just pulled be in, I had to see what Mac was looking at, what does she really see and what thoughts are running through her mind. Yes DreamFever sucked me right in... Rose

MoningManiac21
01-08-2010, 11:41 PM

I can honestly say that I have liked all of your cover art, from the highlander ones as well as the fever ones. Both types of art worked well with what the stories were about. What can I say? A man's body is def appealing and the art for the fever books were cool. I like realistic type of art work.

Honestly, at the end of the day I really don't care what the cover art is as long as the book is good! However, some books that I have bought whose covers I didn't particularly care fore include Julia Quinn's What happens in London I don't like bland covers...or ones that look cartoonish.

Books that are stricking in some way are really aesthetic to me. Like your use of color and shadding.

I absolutely LOVED the first three covers. The cover of DreamFever I didn't really care for though. I understand why you chose to have the City in Ruins and Mac there...but I feel like it was less mysterious (which makes it more appealing!) than the others. I loved the shadow outline of her in the 3rd one.

Hmmm...I think you hit the bulls eye with choosing the first three..but I don't think Mac should have been on the 4th one...I don't like cartoon people. Sorry. I think something that had to do with the Dark Fae may have represented their growing power in that particular book. Maybe the shadow of a Fae Prince over the city? An angle of the Shades taking over a city corner at sunset?

Since I don't know whats going to happen in the 4th one I'm not really sure what to suggest..but I loved the color and shadow contrast the first three books had. I'm assuming the story is going to end happily since 'its a story about the light' so maybe a picture of the sun rising over it? a glowing star in the sky reflecting in the water?

Hope that helps! Can't wait til ShadowFever comes out!!! Thank you so so so so sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for sharing your world with us :)

Also-I tried to post images for you but the site said I couldnt b/c I havent posted 15 previous posts. (this was my first one)

Darkness Within
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
hey karen,

I think the cover art for shadow fever should include something with the dark book. Or make the cover itself resemble the dark book. I any case I think the new cover should be something dark but bold to catch the eye. I think cover art should revolve around the title and what the story is about to draw you in and make the reader want to buy the book. that's what I look for in the cover art. the art it's self is supposed to tell a story or at the very least hint at what the story is about. I'm graphic designer so the art is as important to me as the story itself. Oh Yeah I love all the covers int the fever series wish i could pick a favorite but i can't so there we have it. :60:

TheDarkFaePrincess
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
For shadowfever it would be nice if you had Barrons Holding Mac in his arms. In the back ground you could have Vlaine standing glowering at them.

numba1sweetheart
01-12-2010, 08:45 AM

i really like the "house of night" series covers. they always have creative engravings that look like tatoos. (pictures are attached)

i really dislike plain book covers that dont catch your eye. i dont have any pic's for this because i exceeded the amount to attach

the cover could show a picture that displays an unexpected aliance of some sort. That would be really interesting.

i thought they were good. They were very expressive and eye catching. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!:60:

If the covers were maybe laminated or something. The tedious part of having hard cover books is that the cover falls of the book. Maybe you could attach the cover somehow...:60: other than that everything is perfect!

slp973
01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi!
I liked all the covers so far for a basic reason. I don't have to blush if someone sees me reading the book. My response would be to stay away from the stereotypical covers of this genre (as you have with the Fever covers) and I'm happy. Everyone else had more creative juices flying. There are some books that I would like to read, but the covers are too embarrassing to be seen buying! Love, love, love the series!

parakiss25
01-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Personally I really liked the covers for the Fever series, it made them stand out as different than the typical covers used in the Romance sections.

I think Kelley Armstrong's 'pentacle' covers were all pretty good, as well as the style used for Melissa Marr's series, like a dreamy photograph

debrabeasley6328
01-14-2010, 11:12 AM
I would like to see Jericho and V'lane shadowed behind MacKayla as if in her thoughts of who her pick will be.

EmilySL
01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I have a few ideas for the art cover for ShadowFever. I have all of the Highlander series and of course Fever series. I like the covers of the Highlander books because they are not over done in a sexual way. The newest covers are tastfully sexual. That is what I like to see, and like many other manicas not really caring for the covers with a woman and man in the suggestive position. I would like for ShadowFever to follow the other Fever covers. It would be awesome to see Mac as the main subject of the picture like she is in FaeFever and DreamFever. I think it should depict Mac ready to battle "shadowed" figures in the background or Mac after the victory in the aftermath. As much as I want Rainbow Girl to have a happy romantic ending, I think it all still needs to be just about MacKayla Lane in the cover art.

D-Lo
01-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I think the cover for ShadowFever should have perhaps abstract pictures of Barrons and Vl'ane on each side of Mac, her picture being a little more pronounced, of course. Also, a picture of the book somewhere like hovering over all of them. No matter how it ends up I'm sure it will be perfect. Can't wait! Dying here to read it!!!!!:60:

Natresse
01-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I like that each book has a color theme. I love that the covers are more about the Story and really people. You get to see Dublin and how it's changing in the last ones.

But as for colors..since it's the last - maybe something like Rainbow? Really dark, even black, with a rainbow coming through. I dont know. Not a designer, but since it's the end I was thinking some hope would be nice ;)

BrightLife
01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Wow!! This is fantastic to be able to give our feedback on the cover art. Thank you!

Overall, the current cover designs are on target and continue to improve. The original cover for the hardcover Darkfever with the man/woman torsoes did not adequately convey the material inside. The revised paperback cover with the street lamp is on target.

Color Scheme and Graphics
The dark, mostly monochromatic color scheme really conveys the darkness in the story. Since Fever is actually a story of light, I love the street lamps on the covers and the crescent moon to illustrate the struggle to keep the light in such darkness - nice sense of forebodding and foreshadowing.

More continunity through the graphics is needed. Faefever lost is when it went to a photo of a Dublin street, where as the revised Darkfever, Bloodfever and Dreamfever have more of an illustration quality.

Font
The sans-serif font for KMM's name and the book titles is spot on. The font is edgy and urban. Also, the increased vertical scale of the typeface further enhances this edgy, urban feel.

Dreamfever
Dreamfever is the best cover so far and we can see the build up to here from the past covers. I'd say keep going in this direction!

Thank you for valuing our input!! :60:

Bobbi-Jo

yvonndalona
01-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Ok,This is just my opinion,and you asked for honest..So,Don't yell at me..:snick:

I agree completely!!! I prefer the Ireland backdrops to having people on the front. I thought it was strange that all the books had the city in the background, except Dreamfever. But apparently you had people on some Darkfever covers (mine has the city). Anyway, I LOVE that each cover has a strong color palate! Darkfever is a stunning Blue/Black; Bloodfever an eye-catching red; Faefever a stunning purple/black; and Dreamfever has beautiful hues of red/orange!!! Cityscapes and vibrant colors are what works best for me....having a person on only one of the covers, my Darkfever has a cityscape, had me AND my husband pondering "why the switch"? A MILLION votes to keeping people off the cover!!!! :60::60:

Ktamsor2
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Although the cover art IS a major factor on my choice of books, I also look at the authors, and (althought I'm majorly ticked off at the wait) you are my favorite by far.i like both covers very much, but the first ones still have my heart.

:smile:

DaHa
05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi,
this is my first post here. When I read this thread I started poking around at amazon.de a little bit. Here are the covers I found that I liked most.
(unfortunately I had to cut one of the w's from the www's because "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more." - sorry)

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3802582381/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/0373775237/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=52044011&s=books-intl-de

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3442265770/sr=1-4/qid=1274129838/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books&qid=1274129838&sr=1-4

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3981096630/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/1841497134/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=52044011&s=books-intl-de

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3453527879/sr=1-3/qid=1274130295/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books&qid=1274130295&sr=1-3

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3453526368/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3802582195/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3802582349/sr=1-5/qid=1274130484/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books&qid=1274130484&sr=1-5

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/394023589X/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3404206053/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3404206045/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3802582454/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

The covers of your English book versions I like very much, but the German ones .... I think they got something wrong about the content when they published the books. The title and the cover text of Darkfever and Bloodfever ('Im Bann des Vampirs' and 'Im Reich des Vampirs') are about vampires. :wno:

ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3548266010/sr=1-3/qid=1274132788/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books&qid=1274132788&sr=1-3
ww.amazon.de/gp/product/images/3548266029/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=299956&s=books

Best,
Dana

Brudequeen
05-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I like all the current covers from the Fever series. I think they all captured the essence of the story well without giving away too much. They are evocative enough to get you to pick up the book and want to know exactly what is inside. Didn't like the first cover for Darkfever but the current cover is perfect.

Kerry
05-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi Karen...I wanted to let you know, that I specifically picked up Bloodfever because of the cover, there was just something about it, that drew me too it.(yes, I read it first) That being said, all the covers were fantastic, and fit with the feel of the book. Shadowfever should have a similiar cover, to fit the rest of the series. A shadow of Mac looking over a new world?, faery? home?

Lycans
05-23-2010, 10:55 AM
JMHO.
As with the other women, I was not crazy about the cover of DF-it did not represent the book well.

The covers of the Highlander books-also agree with what so many have said- you put just enough of the lead man in the give us an idea of what he looks like, but left the rest to our imaginations.

The DrF cover was my favorite because of how it related to this series.-There are so many mysteries and unknown characters and unanswered questions;on the cover, you gave us a lot of clues to the story. I for one, usually go back to look at the cover of a book as I'm reading to see if I can catch some clues. Stephen King does this alot on his covers, esp in the recent years.

The Dark Book-thats a great idea! Would also really like an image of the US realm. The Shadowland. And clues that we can catch as we are reading the book-or ones that make sense after we have finished.

I have not read all the posts so far in this thread, so I do apologize if I have simply reiterrated what has already been said.

Thank you for asking us our suggestions- I know we are humbled by the offer.

Dawn

chymera90
05-24-2010, 12:51 AM
okay I trust your art department beacuse I've liked everything they have come up with, so im just going to answer one of your question Ms. Moning.

I would have to tell you not to put a face on any cover of a book, be it male or female, because in my opinon it takes away from the imagination of what that character could look like. I think that thats the worest thing about some of the book covers out there, with the exeption of some of them, like Gena Showalter's Lord of the Underworld series. Those are cool. They aren't over done and the look of them supports the story well:th_nod:

I hope that helps a little.
~Nicasia (nicky)

Tlane
05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I think it would be awesome if the cover had something hidden in it, like a picture clue about the story or something. Just a thought...