PDA

View Full Version : Worst & Best Christmas Present

AlysL
12-23-2009, 09:15 PM
What is the worst and best Christmas present you have ever received?

My worst: I had been dating someone for a little over a year, and we were getting kinda serious...I expected something round and gold...I got something Smith & Wesson!!! He gave me a 9mm pistol to go shooting with him! :th_dntknw:

My best: 2 tickets to the Sugarbowl, including hotel...That was the year UF Gators beat FSU Seminoles for the national championship!!!!! Yee Haw! 7 days in New Orleans about killed me!!!!My limit is set at 5 days max!

Merry Christmas

KJTVH
12-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Can't think of worst, probably clothes that didn't fit! But best was before we got married, my now-DH paid for me to fly from TX to CA to spend a week, including New Year's, to meet his family for the first time.

OK, so the really best was probably about 7 years earlier than that when a former-but-then-current boyfriend paid for me to fly from TX to Portugal to spend 2 weeks, including New Year's, to meet his family, but I don't get the warm fuzzies about those memories as much as I do thinking of my now-husband's gift!

Jill
12-23-2009, 09:43 PM
My worst Christmas present ever was mailbox my Great Aunt bought me. I was eleven...:skeptical:

When I was a child, I rarely wanted toys, but when I was six, I wanted a Malibu Barbie more than anything in the world, and Santa came through for me that year (1971 I think).....

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/rickijilltrip/41GEHTT2K2L_SL500_AA280_.jpg

Isn't she beautiful!!!!!!

A close second would be the Riverside Chaucer I received in college.

ScotIrishlass
12-23-2009, 10:04 PM

My worst: I had been dating someone for a little over a year, and we were getting kinda serious...I expected something round and gold...I got something Smith & Wesson!!! He gave me a 9mm pistol to go shooting with him! :th_dntknw:

My best: 2 tickets to the Sugarbowl, including hotel...That was the year UF Gators beat FSU Seminoles for the national championship!!!!! Yee Haw! 7 days in New Orleans about killed me!!!!My limit is set at 5 days max!

Merry Christmas

OMG Alysl, ...to damn funny! I'm guess he didn't go shopping at Jarrods, huh?He's lucky you didn't use it on him! LOL w/ tears! SO WHAT HAPPENED? Did you keep dating him? Do you still have the gun? Tell me, please, what happened!:wlaugh:

AlysL
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
OMG Alysl, ...to damn funny! I'm guess he didn't go shopping at Jarrods, huh?He's lucky you didn't use it on him! LOL w/ tears! SO WHAT HAPPENED? Did you keep dating him? Do you still have the gun? Tell me, please, what happened!:wlaugh:

What is actually funny is that after I posted that I realized that my best and worst were connected....When I was in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl for that football game is when I met him that gave me the 9mm!!!:twitcy:

Actually, his parents and grand parents freaked out when they saw what he gave me (we were visiting them for Christmas in Atlanta)...but his statement to them was,"I thought it was something we could do together..." he had bought himself one too. We did go shooting and well I am an "expert" shot with a pistol in the Marine Corps! So I taught him how to shoot...

We since broke up, but I still have the 9mm and still go shooting with other friends...just not him! Luckily I was 2000 miles away when we broke up so I wasn't tempted to shoot him!

ScotIrishlass
12-23-2009, 11:14 PM
What is actually funny is that after I posted that I realized that my best and worst were connected....When I was in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl for that football game is when I met him that gave me the 9mm!!!:twitcy:

Actually, his parents and grand parents freaked out when they saw what he gave me (we were visiting them for Christmas in Atlanta)...but his statement to them was,"I thought it was something we could do together..." he had bought himself one too. We did go shooting and well I am an "expert" shot with a pistol in the Marine Corps! So I taught him how to shoot...

We since broke up, but I still have the 9mm and still go shooting with other friends...just not him! Luckily I was 2000 miles away when we broke up so I wasn't tempted to shoot him!

OMG, thanks for sharing. What a great story.LOL!!!!

Beware_of_Italics
12-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Worst gifts: There are a couple - not from immediate family - but nothing worth mentioning I guess.

Best gifts:
- A silver locket with the inscription "Love You" on it, which my nephew picked out for me when he was really young. (Probably 3 or 4). To this day, whenever I wear it even strangers comment on it.

- This one was a birthday present: A picture my niece and nephew picked out for me when they were still little. (A couple years after the necklace). When they were little, we loved Peter Pan, and in this picture there's a Nana dog. The kids told me they had to get it for me because "It reminded us of our Kristin."

And I gotta say that my niece is WONDERFUL at finding presents for me. She knows me well.

RedRose
12-23-2009, 11:33 PM
My worst gift...Well...Everyone in my family thinks i am still this cute little baby girl who wants nothing but pink, love and kittens...
*sigh*
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness!!! My aunt gave me this pure pink scrape book and she never gets me what i ask for. She knows i hate pink but she thinks i am just joking! Ah, no!!! I hate pink, i hate little kiddy trinkets...She always gives me these kiddy things that she would buy my cousin (her dauhgter) who is the total opposite of me. My cousin is a pink freak who likes shopping and is a kid at heart.
I ask for books --->get jewelry
I ask for paper --->get scrapebooks
I ask for games--->get movies

-.-^

Are they trying to tick me off on purpose?! :arghhh:

AlysL
12-23-2009, 11:47 PM
My worst gift...Well...Everyone in my family thinks i am still this cute little baby girl who wants nothing but pink, love and kittens...
*sigh*
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness!!! My aunt gave me this pure pink scrape book and she never gets me what i ask for. She knows i hate pink but she thinks i am just joking! Ah, no!!! I hate pink, i hate little kiddy trinkets...She always gives me these kiddy things that she would buy my cousin (her dauhgter) who is the total opposite of me. My cousin is a pink freak who likes shopping and is a kid at heart.
I ask for books --->get jewelry
I ask for paper --->get scrapebooks
I ask for games--->get movies

-.-^

Are they trying to tick me off on purpose?! :arghhh:

I hope you didn't put in for Karen's PINK Christmas!!!! LOL

Yeah, I think the worst gifts are always that ones that people just give you without thinking about who you are. I don't care if the gift is worth $1 if it was given with the thought of who I am! My mom is bad about buying what is on sale, not thinking about who she is buying for.

AlysL
12-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Worst gifts: There are a couple - not from immediate family - but nothing worth mentioning I guess.

Best gifts:
- A silver locket with the inscription "Love You" on it, which my nephew picked out for me when he was really young. (Probably 3 or 4). To this day, whenever I wear it even strangers comment on it.

- This one was a birthday present: A picture my niece and nephew picked out for me when they were still little. (A couple years after the necklace). When they were little, we loved Peter Pan, and in this picture there's a Nana dog. The kids told me they had to get it for me because "It reminded us of our Kristin."

And I gotta say that my niece is WONDERFUL at finding presents for me. She knows me well.

Sweet that you can only remember the Best ones! Nieces and nephews are the best! I love all of mine - I guess that's because they don't live with me full time!

RedRose
12-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Nopers i did not go on that pink Christmas ^^ As soon as i say 'pink' it read...
THREAD NOT FOR REDROSE!!!
LOL and I forgot to say my best christmas present
hmm...I would have to say...a collection of books i got from my mama. ^^

Beware_of_Italics
12-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Sweet that you can only remember the Best ones! Nieces and nephews are the best! I love all of mine - I guess that's because they don't live with me full time!

Tell me about it. They really are the best things in life. I saw them almost every single day when they were very little, but when my niece turned 3 & my nephew was 4, they very unexpectedly moved 3 1/2 hours away to freakin' Austin. :wno: I'm still not over it, and here they are teenagers now. (I've been 'dealing' with it via some sad dreams, let me tell ya).

Another sweet Christmas gift is one my niece picked out. It's a sign with a Cinderella quote, which says "One shoe can change your life."

moonchild
12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
The worst: An engagement ring from the wrong guy in front of the right guy at a christmas party!
The best: When my love of 32 years asked me to marry him (This was several years after the other fiasco).

Crazy_Girl
12-24-2009, 12:05 AM
The worst and best on the same day...

The worst gift is none at all,LOL
My family always exchanges stockings..one year I seemed to have got lost in the shuffle .My stocking was empty.Well that kind of sucked.Nobody likes to be forgotten.:sad1:

The best gift..
My brother asked me to leave the room,called me back in.He had taken half of the stuff in his stocking and put it in mine!

AlysL
12-24-2009, 12:39 AM
The worst and best on the same day...

The worst gift is none at all,LOL
My family always exchanges stockings..one year I seemed to have got lost in the shuffle .My stocking was empty.Well that kind of sucked.Nobody likes to be forgotten.:sad1:

The best gift..
My brother asked me to leave the room,called me back in.He had taken half of the stuff in his stocking and put it in mine!

Brothers are the best!

AlysL
12-24-2009, 12:41 AM
The worst: An engagement ring from the wrong guy in front of the right guy at a christmas party!
The best: When my love of 32 years asked me to marry him (This was several years after the other fiasco).

awe!!!! I'm Happy that it worked out!:60:

JamiSings
12-24-2009, 12:59 AM
I'd say any time I get clothing it's a bad gift. Mom insists on getting me smaller sizes like 1X and 2X, she cannot accept that I will only wear 3X. I like my clothing, even formal wear, baggy and shapeless. Period. Most of the family gets me what THEY like, not what I like. Or things I already have.

I can't think of a good gift. For myself, all I ever want is gift cards. That way I can pick out what I like. Now my nephew, Branden, he's good about getting me those Visa gift cards or WalMart ones so I can just buy what I want. I know people think gift cards are thoughtless, but they're always the right size and color.

Every year I ask for every single person to go in together on a gift card for me. I between my parents, my brothers Paul and Todd, Paul's girlfriend Cindy, Branden, and Branden's girlfriend Meaghan each chipping in at least $10, to get me a gift card either for a day spa, Nordstrom's, WalMart, or go in together to get me gold lessons. (I really am serious about learning to play. Looks boring when you watch it but who knows, when I play I might actually have fun.)

Every year they all get me a bunch of crap I don't want or need.

I do this for my birthday too. Mom always gets upset. And I end up with crap I don't want and they all spend too much.

I always try to think of stuff they like. If I can't I get gift cards. Todd wanted Uggs. Too expensive but I got him a gift card he could apply to a pair. Cindy is getting a copy of the book Dewey. Paul, who likes to cook, is getting one of those "sliders" pans (Cindy LOVES sliders). Branden is studying to be a sheriff so he's getting a really nice book on the history of our sheriff department. Meaghan loves Tinkerbell so I got her a Tinkerbell tank top and I also got her some VS panties. Dad is getting a nice tie with a pair of cufflinks, and mom is getting a couple of nice crystal items, some old cookbooks, and a silk scarf from the 70s.

And what will I likely get? Candle holders and too-small clothing.

Sure, it's about God, not gifts. But since we get and give them anyway, why can't I ever get what I really want? Like a fancy-schmancy facial at a day spa instead of a stinky old candle holder I'll never use?

Buggs
12-24-2009, 01:55 AM
My worst present came in a bunch. I got three umbellas for christmas from three different people. I was eleven then and I did not want pracitical gifts.

My best gift is when my husband gave me a card that said I could go and pick out a new puppy. I now have two dachshunds.:jiggy:

Critter
12-24-2009, 02:13 AM

That's got to be one heck of a story! You should tell it! If you want to of course.

Critter
12-24-2009, 02:27 AM
Best: My mother bought a new Kia so she gave me her nine year old Kia Sportage for Christmas. My mom really digs Kia's...

Worst: I can't really think of much. Most of my friends and family are pretty thoughtful and all together awesome... I did get a seriously ugly Hello Kitty set of bling earrings that I will NVER wear for my birthday from an adopted Aunt type person...

sgttibbs
12-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Best, my bride doll that was handmade for me by my great-great aunt when I was a little girl.

Worst, well it wasn't gifted directly to me but in the game we play at my family's gathering I ended up with mens sock just about every year!! Thank goodness in the last few years that curse when to my little sister and now my niece LOL.

Butterfly
12-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Best - There are so many great ones, but I think my favorite was the quilt my Grandmother made for me.

Worst - My BF bought me perfume. We'd been dating over a year. I'd never in that entire time worn perfume. It triggers migraines for me. That was three years ago. He still asks why I don't wear it even thought I've explained it to him. :wno:

Butterfly
12-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Merry Christmas LOL. My parents gave me a Ruger .357 when I turned 18. I loved it. I still have it. I also got a .22 rifle when I was younger for my b-day. We're teaching my son to shoot with it now. :th_nod:

kidlet
12-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Worst gift: My now ex-husband bought 2 CD's that were his favorite bands and a 6 pack of his favorite beer.

Best gift: 3 weeks after the birth of my son (born the end of Nov.) my mom gave $100 towards a new mother's ring for Christmas so I could have all 3 of my kids stones on one ring.

AlysL
12-24-2009, 09:04 PM
LOL. My parents gave me a Ruger .357 when I turned 18. I loved it. I still have it. I also got a .22 rifle when I was younger for my b-day. We're teaching my son to shoot with it now. :th_nod:

I love shooting! The only reason it is my "worst" gift is because I was expecting the ring instead! Actually I think I got the better deal getting the 9mm!

ontothenextbook
12-25-2009, 02:19 AM
Worst - a tie: My aunt bought me the entire set of New Kids on the Block barbie dolls (I was 19 years old!)

or

My mother wanted her daughters to get chicken pox as children, it was supposed to be easier than as adults, so she purposly exposed me! I was six, covered in itchy red sores, and couldn't even move enought to open my gifts!

Best - I love all of the handmade gifts the children in my preschool make!

Natresse
12-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I can't pin point one absolute worse gift. In general the worst gifts i've gotten were decorative trinkets. Like, one year i got some ceramic clown things from my MIL. I dont like trinkets in general. I dont have nice shelves for them, i dont like to dust and i get all the enjoyment i want out of figurine when i see them in the store. I dont need them in my home. I've told everyone this...and they keep buying me figurines of cute kittens or scarey clowns. Now..get me a Teddy Scare - THAT i will make an exception for. Or clothes. Some ppl who will remain nameless like to buy me clothes for a teenager. Jeans with wild designed and rhinestones. I'm not going to wear them. They'll sit in my closet for the requiset (sw) year or so until they are donated to the goodwill.

The best. I've had alot of those. One year it was a Cricket Doll. Omg i wanted that so bad. I think i was like 5 or 4. Then i saw Chucky. Cricket moved to the closet. But i LOVED her for a good couple months.

I was sixteen and my mom bought me a phone for my room. Christmas morning i started calling everyone i knew and asked them "Guess where i'm calling you from!?!?" i was excited.

A couple years ago my husband bought me an ipod nano. And a ring i'd had my eye on for a month. I was super excited. Usually i get a trinket. Or something i picked out myself. I was NOT expecting the nano and had only mentioned that i was thinking i wanted an ipod a couple of times. Very thoughtful of him. I think that was the best present i've ever had from him, just because i was surprised :P

I'm with the ppl who want gift cards. I'd be over the moon unwrapping a stack of gift cards to various stores or the visa ones. That way i can go shopping. I never get to go shopping, too many bills :P

sara_faye
12-25-2009, 03:12 PM
The best christmas present I've gotten so far is tickets to see my favorite musical, My Fair Lady. I'm pretty sure I was crying happy tears for half the performance! haha.

The worst christmas present so far was an I-Spy game I got from my aunt when I was 18. The game was for ages 2-9! Talk about a slap in the face!

redheadgirl79
12-27-2009, 11:15 AM
My worst was an assortment of different colored knee highs that my great aunt gave me one year... I was 12. I'm not talking the normal tan or nude colors either I'm talking hot pink, yellow, electric blue, etc...

I have two different presents for best the first one was the My Little Pony Dream Castle. I was 5 and it was from Santa.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:PyMmBcqiJpD0FM:http://www.stufffromthe80s.co.uk/images/my-little-pony-dream-castle.jpg
A few years ago I was talking to my Mom about this and she said that she and Dad saved for a year to buy this for me b/c let's face it they were definitely not rich. I still remember sneaking into the living room and seeing that and then running to Mom and Dad's bedroom and bouncing on the bed screaming that Santa had brought me the Dream Castle.

My second favorite was actually from this year. DH completely surprised me with this one. A few years ago I bought a picture frame from Hobby Lobby during a 50% off sale. It's a clock with 12 small frames surrounding it. For the longest time it just sat on a shelf with nothing in it b/c I couldn't figure out what to do with it. DH printed out 12 different pictures from my trip to France and framed them in it. It was just to sweet and thoughtful and best of all it was free....kind of.

Irina
12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Lets see . . . I really can't think of the worst gift I've ever recieved, but I think the best gifts I ever get are B&N giftcards! LOL

angboys3
12-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Best- Has probably been the years, we didn't buy anything big and took Xmas trips instead, and took my kids to Disney and to see snow for the first time.

Worst-
1. Would be the year my older brother switched all my Xmas presents with a bag of sticks (switches) and told me I had been naughty so i wasn't getting any presents. I was maybe 7? I still remember this day, vividly! Ha, ha!
2. Probably the year when I was kid and accidentally found where my mom was storing all my Xmas presents, she hadn't wrapped them yet so I knew I was getting a barbie penthouse before I saw it Xmas morning.

Jenney
12-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm with the ppl who want gift cards. I'd be over the moon unwrapping a stack of gift cards to various stores or the visa ones. That way i can go shopping. I never get to go shopping, too many bills :P

I did this for my mom this year. she is so hard to buy for because she has everything..So I made up a pretty basket with $200 in resturant gift cards and $500 for her favorite stores..I know seems like alot but our family loves christmas and we tend to go a bit overboard! My dad is easy though. couple hundred dollars in scratch offs and a toneau cover thingy for his truck.

Worst for me..can't really think of anything..
best is this christmas..having my 7 year old boys tell me it was thier best christmas ever because they got to share it with thier new sisters who are 5 months old, and my hubby got me a diamond eternity band. I have always wanted one!

KJTVH
12-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm also with the people that want gift cards! Unfortunately, my MIL doesn't like them and refuses to give them, although that's what I really want every year so I can shop for myself and I've explained to her numerous times about this! My DH at least understands, so every year I know that at least he will give me cards to my favorite clothes store, B&N, and iTunes! This year, two of my clients also gave me cards to iTunes and Amazon.com, that was an unexpected surprise! My DD likes getting cards, too. My FIL always gives her a gift card to Juice It Up and then either a card for B&N or Target, and my sister always sends her a Borders card, but really he gives her what will eventually be the best gift every year -- he gives her savings bonds every year and those are adding up quite nicely!

Bones
12-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I've found the 'worst' presents often become some of the best loved memories so it's hard to put them down.

BUT --

My sister and I were in high school and our grandmother had sent us each a sweater that was so bizarre we were both struck speechless. They were this strange, bland color with no interesting stitching (pullovers) and a huge machine-embroidered, naturalistic picture of an animal on the front. I got a raccoon positioned next to a tree, IIRC. I can't possibly get across how wrong these sweaters were.

My mom got ticked because we didn't say we liked them right away (even though grandma was states away and couldn't know) but we were both seriously struck dumb. Couldn't even form a polite "how nice". I couldn't fathom who might have made such a thing in that day and age for teenagers.

Anyway, I kept that sweater for a decade because it was a fond memory for my sister and me. And a reminder that my grandma loved us enough to send us something nobody else could possibly have gotten that year. :wlaugh:

Best:

A Lladro figurine I'd been dreaming of but really didn't think we could afford. In fact, we couldn't, but my DH got it for me anyway. So sweet. :th_nod:

Christmasgirl
12-28-2009, 01:41 PM
One of the best was this year and it wasnt even a thing, it was a message. I had a lady look me up on face book and asked me if I was her Counselor when she was a teenager.Yes I was. She then told me I helped save her life and she wouldnt be here today if I hadnt helped her. When I got this message I started to cry. Its nice to know that somewhere you made a difference.

The worst, a plastic spray bottle from a company I worked for.

MacKeltar Lass
12-28-2009, 08:00 PM
The worst present that I can readily remember is a couple of years ago my sister in law gave me a tube of mace and one door alarm (the kind that's supposed to beep when the door is opened, this one was broken). It's tied with last year's though. 3 years ago she gave my MIL a super ugly set of candle sticks. My MIL gave them back, lol. Last year I got them.

But, she did make up for it this year by giving me a really cool reflecting telescope. She had one and I was having a ton of fun with it, so she got me the same one.

Best gift: probably the diamond heart necklace my hubby gave to me over our first xmas together when we were still dating.

AlysL
12-28-2009, 10:03 PM
It's tied with last year's though. 3 years ago she gave my MIL a super ugly set of candle sticks. My MIL gave them back, lol. Last year I got them.

Best gift: probably the diamond heart necklace my hubby gave to me over our first xmas together when we were still dating.

I love that you are re-gifting the bad gift!!! LOL
I kinda do that with my mom for birthday presents.. My BD is in June and my mom's in August...so what she does for me, I do for her....if it is thoughtful, then I reciprocate, if it is something she bought because it is on sale and nothing to do with me, well then I very kindly do the same!!! LOL I don't know if she has figured out what I am doing yet!

lilahlove
12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
My worst was body lotion from my MIL. (I read an article not long ago about how to decipher what gifts mean, and body lotion meant something along the lines of the person didn't care enough to find out what you want or need.) The best actually happens to be my MIL's, too. She got me and my husband a 32" Magnavox flat screen!!! :jiggy: She did her homework this year and knew that our current TV was broken and had lines running through it. It was a very thoughtful gift, because she knew we wouldn't be able to afford to fix our TV or get a new one. My husband's been like a kid with a new toy for the past week! :wlaugh:

Beware_of_Italics
12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
One of the best was this year and it wasnt even a thing, it was a message. I had a lady look me up on face book and asked me if I was her Counselor when she was a teenager.Yes I was. She then told me I helped save her life and she wouldnt be here today if I hadnt helped her. When I got this message I started to cry. Its nice to know that somewhere you made a difference.

I love this! :th_nod: