PDA

View Full Version : Another thing that I can't believe is real...

Liberty
01-27-2010, 12:58 AM
I've seen enough college movies and TV shows that portray sororities a certain way, dressing a certain,but I never once thought that any of it was real. At least not to the extent that is shown on the screen.

Then I read this... :wno:

Pi Phi Cornell (http://fashionista.com/2010/01/pi_phi_votes_tory_burch_not_do.php)

Don't even get me started on the typos.

Anita
01-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Dude what B****! That girl is crazy!!

lilahlove
01-27-2010, 01:42 AM
"I love things on wrists and I demand earrings if your ears are pierced."

AKA--to use her phrase usage--I'm an egomaniac b!tch who needs to, I don't know, like, think of my grades? Instead of worrying about what the hell other people wear, maybe?

What a ridiculous person! Are there really girls out there like this?! :skeptical: That's very disturbing.

Anita
01-27-2010, 01:47 AM
I am sorry, but half of what she said is a "no" I was thinking, dude whats wrong with that?

I don't like flats (But i am short lol) And Whats wrong with open toed shoes?
the one thing that I was all huh? on was the Boots must be worn over your pants thing.
Who cares if you wear them over or under!?

Breelia
01-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Yeah I am fashion unconscious... comatose, really. My eyes glazed over after the first few sentences.

ShadowHeart
01-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Yeah I am fashion unconscious... comatose, really. My eyes glazed over after the first few sentences.

Right there with ya!
It fits, it doesn't have (too many) holes.... it works.

Jill
01-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Lucky for those girls I was not a Pi Phi, but I do have some friends who were. I am suggesting that they contact Pi Phi's national standards committee on this because it will certainly harm the sorority's ability to rush and the size of future pledge classes. What a vapid, petty little tart!!!!:arghhh:

BTW I pledged Zeta Tau Alpha, and our philanthropy is the Susan G. Komen foundation for the cure for breast cancer. Komen was a Zeta, and Zeta pledges, actives, and alumnae from all over the country work tirelessly at the national as well as local grassroots level to bring about awareness and education to this horrible disease. The foundation also raises millions of dollars every year for breast cancer research. I am glad I was a wise woman even in college, LOL.

JamiSings
01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Someone was kind enough to post a picture of the girls in that group. Someone needs to inform them their arms are too fat for sleeveless clothing. See how they handle that.

Jill
01-27-2010, 11:06 AM
LMAO did you read the article about recruitment myths? About offering bids to legacies? Trust me, they must offer bids to legacies unless they are prostitutes or serial killers. What a load of crock!!! From whom do they receive their donations? Oh, that would be from the alumnae of the sorority. And believe you me they are all up in the bid process. All I can say to them, if they are so arrogant as to dismiss a legacy to the sorority, is "good luck to them" because they will piss off the bread and butter of their organization. What a stupid, insincere thing to post!!!:realmad:

Come on...there must be some Pi Phi's on this forum. I would so love to hear from you!!!!

Liberty
01-27-2010, 01:23 PM
:wlaugh: I still can't get over how ridiculous the list is, even more so that someone actually believes that other women will follow these rules.

I was never a sorority girl. Never even considered joining one. I was actually the person that was trying to out anything bad about the Greek system. :wwink: I knew a lot of people in frats and sororities but they didn't know I was writing for the school paper (I was still new at the time). But...nothing really interesting went on while I was in school. :nah:

That whole thing about satin dresses not looking good on anyone...Um...yeah, maybe not on her.
I think satin and silk dresses are great for cocktail attire and evening dates if it's worn correctly (to fit your body).
Tell me she doesn't look good in that satin dress. (I have a red Calvin Klein dress very similar to this.)
http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/0/optimized/704780_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=327&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Jill
01-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Liberty, I agree that the lady looks so pretty in that dress. I could not believe that list, either. Someone really should contact the national chapter about it. I went to Pi Beta Phi's website, and their philanthropy is literacy, and they sponsor such events as Read Across America (which is actually a very good program). I knew you Maniacs would appreciate that piece of information!!! Can you stand it? The girls at Cornell must have a little bit of intelligence to have been accepted to the school. They are terribly unwise, though.

Sororities are supposed to be about sisterhood, making connections and friends, and serving the community. It is not supposed to be all about partying! And I went to a party school!

BarronsCelticLass
01-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I hope there aren't some young, getting ready to go to college, girls who see this and think this is how all sororities are. They really aren't! :wno: Now, I was not in a sorority, but I have friends who are/were and they are NOTHING like that. Let it also be said, however, I DID know girls just like that in one of the sororities at my first college. :shocked: There always seems to be ONE that IS like that, but it most certainly isn't the norm. :nah:

JamiSings
01-27-2010, 06:01 PM
I checked the site, someone just posted that she's been fired.

Jamie Leigh
01-27-2010, 11:01 PM

Amen

Someone was kind enough to post a picture of the girls in that group. Someone needs to inform them their arms are too fat for sleeveless clothing. See how they handle that.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Too funny.

Wildernessgirl
01-28-2010, 12:51 AM
I think it must differ somewhat between sororities and chapters. My mother was an Alpha Delta Phi and loved it. But my dad on the other hand is a college professor and didn't like most of the fraternities and sororities and advised us not to pledge. I think some of them will penalize you if you miss an event even if you exams or something more important to do. But I think it differs from one to the next. You just have to do your research.

Wildernessgirl
01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
OMG! I just read it. I hope she was fired. I can't believe she actually referred to one of she shoes she said no to as f me type shoes. There was something else with a "don't mess with me" written next to it. The same thing goes for saying that it wasn't an option to not wear blush. Nothing is more tacky than someone wearing too much blush. What is so wrong with wearing a dress that is sleeveless? I love wearing sleeveless dresses and tops. The same goes for peep toe high heels. I would have driven her crazy with the way I dress :wlaugh:. What do you think her take on Uggs are :skeptical:?

Jill
01-28-2010, 07:54 AM
I think it must differ somewhat between sororities and chapters. My mother was an Alpha Delta Phi and loved it. But my dad on the other hand is a college professor and didn't like most of the fraternities and sororities and advised us not to pledge. I think some of them will penalize you if you miss an event even if you exams or something more important to do. But I think it differs from one to the next. You just have to do your research.

LMAO my sorority had mandatory study halls you could not opt out of unless you were in the infirmary *and* the best test file on campus!!! We never got fined for missing a social event, especially if we had a lab or something else academic that we did not need to miss. But then again, we were (and still are) the sorority with the highest GPA and highest percentage of pledges making their grades for initiation.

Wildernessgirl
01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
LMAO my sorority had mandatory study halls you could not opt out of unless you were in the infirmary *and* the best test file on campus!!! We never got fined for missing a social event, especially if we had a lab or something else academic that we did not need to miss. But then again, we were (and still are) the sorority with the highest GPA and highest percentage of pledges making their grades for initiation.

It's good to know that some focus on GPA and academics. My dad has more of a problem with the fraternities than the sororities but what he has told me about them is based off of 40 years of teaching physics at university. A few girlfriends mentioned being penalized as well. They weren't in your sorority though. I just know my dad and many of the professors he has worked with who I have known my entire life advised my sisters and I and their daughters not to pledge.

JamiSings
01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
What is so wrong with wearing a dress that is sleeveless? I love wearing sleeveless dresses and tops.

I was the one who made that comment. When you have big, fat arms, wearing sleeveless clothing is the same as wearing horizontal stripes or large patterns when you're heavy - a big no no. Draws focus to your arms and makes them look twice, if not three times bigger then they already are.

I figured if this girl is so shallow pointing out she doesn't look good in sleeveless clothing will hurt her like garlic does a vampire.

According to the replies the sorority is trying to claim that this is a joke and people shouldn't take it seriously. I can't judge. I dropped out of jr. college where there were no sororities. I do know that a lot of people were seriously shallow there though. But this is Southern California and not too far from Newport Beach, where every other office homes a plastic surgeon. So shallowness is par for the course here.

Wildernessgirl
01-28-2010, 03:41 PM
I was the one who made that comment. When you have big, fat arms, wearing sleeveless clothing is the same as wearing horizontal stripes or large patterns when you're heavy - a big no no. Draws focus to your arms and makes them look twice, if not three times bigger then they already are.

I figured if this girl is so shallow pointing out she doesn't look good in sleeveless clothing will hurt her like garlic does a vampire.

According to the replies the sorority is trying to claim that this is a joke and people shouldn't take it seriously. I can't judge. I dropped out of jr. college where there were no sororities. I do know that a lot of people were seriously shallow there though. But this is Southern California and not too far from Newport Beach, where every other office homes a plastic surgeon. So shallowness is par for the course here.

I understand where you are coming from. It's the same with me not wanting to accentuate my hips. I was referring to her comment to pledges telling them no sleeveless tops or dresses allowed. I could understand no spaghettti straps or strapless but there are many professional taylored looking dresses that have no sleeves.

JamiSings
01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I understand where you are coming from. It's the same with me not wanting to accentuate my hips. I was referring to her comment to pledges telling them no sleeveless tops or dresses allowed. I could understand no spaghettti straps or strapless but there are many professional taylored looking dresses that have no sleeves.

Oh, I didn't see that on her's.

Maybe it's because so many girls who wear sleeveless don't shave their pits closely enough?

Irina
01-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I've never felt such a strange combintaion of pity and indigestion.
:wno:

Critter
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
I have more love for my GPA than I do for my style points. Of course, if I even think about anything in the greek lifestyle it'll be the marvelous ladies in the land of big brains, high GPAs, and hard sciences. Because that's where my nerdy a$$ fits in.

Shiloh2298
01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Wow...thinking back to my college self I know exactly what I would have said to this princess...it starts with an "F---" and ends with "Off, Barbie Princess"...:shocked:
I was working construction while I was going to college, so my attire often consisted of work boots and jeans since I was usually on my way from or to work, and just about everyone else was the same, wheter it be work boots or Taco Bell uniforms...Guess that is the beauty of starting out at a community college, we were all pretty much in the same boat, broke and working our butts off.
A lot of friends of mine were into the whole greek thing, I never understood it, but then, I always have marched to the tune of my own drummer, okay, my own marching band, and never really liked following some silly rules that someone else made up for me...I had problems enough keeping up my grades, working, and trying not to break the laws of the road too much going from one to the other...