PDA

View Full Version : I'm Pregnant

Edwards Girl
01-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I just found out that i'm pregnant about an hour ago i need advice on how to get ready for my baby:shocked:

Mackalena
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
WOW!! :c7:

Don't freak out... you'll have lots of time to get ready and pretty soon you will be tired of everyone telling you their birthing stories! Get "What to Expect When You're Expecting" -- how far along are you?

Congrats again!

Edwards Girl
01-28-2010, 03:59 PM
WOW!! :c7:

Don't freak out... you'll have lots of time to get ready and pretty soon you will be tired of everyone telling you their birthing stories! Get "What to Expect When You're Expecting" -- how far along are you?

Congrats again!

i'm not more than two weeks maybe a month but not sure exactly need to go to the doctor i took a home pregnancy test

aalmcmullen
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow, Congrats!

What to Expect When You're Expecting is great, like Mackalena said.

And don't believe all the stories you'll hear about people's crazy pregnancies. You'll save yourself a lot of worrying if you refer to a solid reference like What to Expect before you go off what the neighbor two doors down said or a coworker or a distant cousin says. And find out what pregnancies and births are like in your (close) family. A lot of the time you'll find the best comparisons with those who share your genes.

Nurslings
01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Congrats!! I would say... don't bother with What to expect when you're expecting.. LOL It makes you scared!

Talk to people you know who have had babies, and talk to your doctor.

I take it this is your first baby :) I'm about 21 weeks pregnant myself (with #4 :D) So..

Good luck and have fun!

highlanderlas
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM
The most important advice I can give you is (I'm a mom of two and a grammie of three)

Keep a happy, positive mood as much as you can

Get plenty of rest

Eat good for you food

Follow your gut instincts now and after birth

Major hugs and congratulations! Babies are wonderful gifts. They allow us to see the world through a brand new set of eyes.

As far as books, my daughter and daughter-in-law loved YOUR PREGNANCY MONTH BY MONTH

*Jo*
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
:c4:
This is wonderful!

Conoga
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
The most important advice I can give you is (I'm a mom of two and a grammie of three)

Get plenty of rest

Eat good for you food

Follow your gut instincts now and after birth

Major hugs and congratulations! Babies are wonderful gifts. They allow us to see the world through a brand new set of eyes.

As far as books, my daughter and daughter-in-law loved YOUR PREGNANCY MONTH BY MONTH

thats the advice i followed! :60: when i went to the doc they gave me a copy of What to Expect plus a few other goodies.
explore ALL the ins and outs boys vs girls and the differences (its more than just indoor and outdoor plumbing lol) and yet keep an open mind that none of it based on solid fact! (we're all individuals after all!)

and if you decide to not circumcise your kid then thats is YOUR decision and dont let anyone stare you down or change your mind or quote bible scriptures or STD statistics to you :realmad: i know thats getting way ahead of the game but if its a boy you will have to decide and you need to be informed and stand by your decision.

Otherwise...... just enjoy it! dont be afraid! you have an important job and its the BEST job in my opinion.

when i first found out i was pregnant the first thing i wanted to do was go out and buy a ton of baby stuff..... my husband was worried because the first term is always the scariest. i admit i was scared to death too but i was determined everything would go right and i went out and bought a crib set, diaper bag, and clothes anyway.. all of it Snoopy themed lol i still have them too!

snowstorm
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
The Visiting nurses have classes about natural childbirth and the breathing exercises.

Breathing exercises are great even if you're not pregnant.
You practice relaxing different parts of your body while tensing others.

I wasn't planning on natural childbirth, but took the class anyway.
Like to be prepared for the unexpected.

And I'm one of those people that didn't have labor pains.
Oh I went through labor with contractions, but no pain without using medication.

Stranger still is it wasn't my mother that didn't have labor pains too, but my mother-in-law. LOL.

Relax and enjoy your pregnancy. It a very exciting time. Congratulations.

jeant
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Congratulations!!

Stapes
01-28-2010, 04:48 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!:thewave:

Conoga
01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
The Visiting nurses have classes about natural childbirth and the breathing exercises.

Breathing exercises are great even if you're not pregnant.
You practice relaxing different parts of your body while tensing others.

I wasn't planning on natural childbirth, but took the class anyway.
Like to be prepared for the unexpected.

And I'm one of those people that didn't have labor pains.
Oh I went through labor with contractions, but no pain without using medication.

Stranger still is it wasn't my mother that didn't have labor pains too, but my mother-in-law. LOL.

Relax and enjoy your pregnancy. It a very exciting time. Congratulations.
i envy you!! i tried to do all that without pain meds.. fail.. then tried JUST pain meds (no epidural) fail again... and of course i ended up with a C-section. if i'd known i was going to get one anyway i would have just signed up for it and saved myself all that trouble and pain!

KJTVH
01-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Oh, how exciting! Congratulations! The most exciting part of your life is just beginning! I only have one child -- nearly 12 now! -- but I loved being pregnant. Well, could have done without the morning sickness -- I kept saltines on the bedside table so i could nibble on them before I got up in the morning, that helped. I had to really monitor my sugar intake -- natural as well as processed -- so was limited on how much fruits I could eat, had to eat lot of protein and vegetables. My doctor told me that the best type of food I could eat was Indian cuisine, so I had a lot of curry and rice. And cut out as much caffeine as you can. And the breast soreness wasn't fun, downright painful to even take a shower! Use lot of moisturizers on breasts and stomach, help me from being itchy a lot, and soothed the soreness from stretching.

All of the movements your baby will make are so amazing when you get to the point where you can feel them. It tickled me every time she had the hiccups! Kicks to the ribs can hurt, but DH massaging my belly (and thus massaging the baby) helped calm her a lot. The last few months it was hard to take deep breaths, but keep trying, and keep exercising. I was told to swim or just exercise in the water.

Talk/sing/read to your baby, and have the father and any other family/friends do the same. The baby will definitely recognize voices. When DD was born, she immediately turned to the sound of DH's voice and he soothed her better than anyone else could from day 1. They still have a very close bond, a friend of mine laughed that my husband got a child, when was I going to get one!

Definitely get the 'What to Expect...' book, it's the best ever! There is also a 'What to Expect...' journal for you to write in, and there's a 'What to Expect...' for fathers. My DH went a bit crazy. He started working more hours and always seemed a bit frantic to make sure we would have everything we needed, he went into big-time provider/protector mode. But at the same time, he felt disconnected because he couldn't have the same experiences as me (I would have gladly given him a turn at it!), so he needed some extra attention, too. I tried to do the without meds thing, too, but no way. I had 13.5 hours of labor, halfway through got the epidural after all and it was the best thing ever.

Plan for your maternity leave if you work, you're going to want every minute you can with your baby! I made the mistake of going on leave nearly 2 weeks early (I freaked when my doctor said, 'any day now') and then sat at home bored.

Oh, and my doctor reminded me that while you do take all of the precautions you can to protect your baby, don't forget to take care of yourself, too! If you get sick, as in a cold/flu, do what you need to do to heal yourself, don't worry about the baby. That was difficult for me, I worried what the medication would do, but it didn't have any affect at all, even got a flu shot okay.

LisK
01-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Congratulations!! Best advice I ever got when I was pregnant was......pay attention to your body, but don't worry about it. Everything that's happening is happening for a reason. Take care of yourself, and enjoy the excitement!

Cybrokat
01-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Congrats and rub off on me please! :)

Esther Marie
01-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Congratulations!!! That's awesome news!

cajunpixie05
01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
:c7: Be sure to get lots of rest and enjoy every moment. Trust me I am a mother of 4 boys.

delmi
01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
No advice, never lucky enough to be preggers. So, happy for you.

RedRose
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Many blessings to you and Baby!!!!!!

Butterfly
01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
:th_congrats4:

Rule #1. Don't freak. Stay calm.
Rule #2. Don't believe everything you hear. Every pregnancy is different, even you own if you have more than one.
Rule #3. Politely listen to all advice, take what you like, disregard the rest. (Even mine)
Rule #4. Follow your instincts. You're going to be a mom. Moms have great instinct.
Rule #5. Make lists. You'll find that part of becoming a mother means forgetting everything else. Like where you put your keys and when you last had a shower, LOL.

If you need to talk, let me know. I've got 3, and I'm full of advice, but it doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't take it. I'll be happy answer your questions, and support you anyway I can.

bluedragonfly81
01-28-2010, 08:25 PM
:c7: what wonderful news!

reids_haven
01-28-2010, 08:29 PM
congratulations :th_celebrate:

Never been pregnant so I am clueless .so exciting best wishes for you and the baby

Irina
01-28-2010, 08:32 PM
:congrat4:

alba
01-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Basque in the Glory that you and your Partner created life.
Today is the start of a wonderful journey if your healthy keep it that way enjoy this time nothing is going to be the same.

Southern Princess
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
:Congrat77:

My advice: What everyone else said. You will be just fine. Listen to your body and your dr and anyone close to you that has children.

FeverChick
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Congrats! I don't have any children so I can't give you much of advice, but I wish you a happy and safe pregnancy and delivery.

sgttibbs
01-29-2010, 03:35 PM

Rule #1. Don't freak. Stay calm.
Rule #2. Don't believe everything you hear. Every pregnancy is different, even you own if you have more than one.
Rule #3. Politely listen to all advice, take what you like, disregard the rest. (Even mine)
Rule #4. Follow your instincts. You're going to be a mom. Moms have great instinct.
Rule #5. Make lists. You'll find that part of becoming a mother means forgetting everything else. Like where you put your keys and when you last had a shower, LOL.

If you need to talk, let me know. I've got 3, and I'm full of advice, but it doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't take it. I'll be happy answer your questions, and support you anyway I can.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a mom of three as well and Butterfly has said it all perfectly.

Congrats on the baby!!!!

Jill
01-29-2010, 07:06 PM
:shocked: Is it Edwards???

Just kidding!!!!

I won't repeat all the wonderful advice you have already been given.

You are blessed!!!

jayzee
01-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I know I said it on FB already ...but happy news deserves it twice. :congrat4:

Rae4Highlanders
01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I have zero advice, sorry, have not had the pleasure yet, but congratulations!!!!! That's really wonderful!:60:

MacKeltar Lass
01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Congrats!!

Here's my advice:
1. Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. LOL, everyone, from your family to the mailman, will give you advice. Filter it and decide what works for you.

2. Don't freak out by everyone's birthing stories. Like the advice, everyone and anyone will regale you with their horrific, end-of the world labor and delivery stories.

3. Smile and nod at all the people who insist you breastfeed, do natural delivery, cloth diapering, etc etc. What is comfortable for you is what is for you. In the end it's your choice on ALL of this. Not the cashier at the drug store, or the lady in the park.

4. Stick to your guns on your decisions and don't let people try and talk you out of them because its not what they did. If you want to formula feed rather than breastfeed, than do it. And vice versa.

5. There's no shame in a medicated birth. People don't go around with a badge on their chest for having a root canal with no novocaine.

6. What to expect when expecting is ok, but clinical. My recommendation: Jenny McCarthy's book "Belly Laughs". I wish I had read it before my first son! She tells you all the stuff that happens that the typical, medical books won't!

7. If the dad is worried about all this, get him "Pregnancy Sucks - For Men". This book will make you laugh so hard you'll cry and snort and probably pass gas. It's a riot. It's the experience of pregnancy from the guy's POV. It's funny as hell.

8. Don't waste your money on Preggo Pops if you have morning sickness. Total waste of money, lol.

9. And most importantly, just enjoy it. It's a remarkable experience. When you see the baby for the first time in the ultrasound, first time you hear the heart beat, feel the fluttering, its incredible. On the big day, try and remain relaxed. The more relaxed you can be, the easier.

I also recommend taking hypno-birthing classes. The purpose is for having a natural delivery, but the benefits are great. I took them and still had an epidural. But they teach you how to relax, not have any fear and it helped me a lot. My first son was a preemie, and I was scared, but the hypno techniques helped me relax a lot. And if you can do it right, its amazing the number of people who have natural births with no pain (my SIL had 3 of her 4 this way, no pain).

Jade
01-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I just found out that i'm pregnant about an hour ago i need advice on how to get ready for my baby:shocked:

Wow so exciting!
I loved pregnancy both times. :0)
Best advice....hmmm....
Prenatal vitamins, belly band during and after (both kinds), sleep!, happy thoughts.
My favorite thing that I had during my first pregnancy was a silly little calender that came in my home pregnancy test. It was a piece of paper that mapped out :jiggy:every week of pregnancy and told little tid bits of what was happening everyday....I loved it! I checked it everyday to see what we were doing together. I know sounds silly....but I kept it and even looked at it during my second pregnancy....just because I felt like we were growing together. :0)
God Bless you and your little one.....

SusieQ Court Jester
01-29-2010, 11:04 PM
First thing-
CONGRATS! WONDERFUL! WOW!

Second thing-
CONGRATS! WONDERFUL! WOW!

Third thing-
Ok do you really want me to keep this up all night? hehehe

Alright the best advise you will ever get is:

Love Yourself!
Love Your Hubby!
Love and Adore The Wee Lil Gift God Gave You Both!

ILY Good Luck!

Jamie Leigh
01-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Congratulations!

www.babycenter.com is a really neat site. You sign up with your expected due date and it gives you emails as to things you might expect and what your child is like at that time in your pregnancy. DS is 3 now and I still get them. I don't agree with all the child raising suggestions but it always good to get different advice and prespectives to think about.

Super important suggestion! Take a walk when you can and take care of your body with what you eat and drink. But most of all enjoy this time. It is truly wonderful. I've only had 1 and I love the joy that he brings me now but there is nothing quite like the closeness I felt with him before he was born.

Best of luck with everything.

Hesperia
01-30-2010, 02:03 PM
:c4:

All of the advice I would have given you has already been given. Just remember to enjoy it, even though it may not seem like it now, before you know this magical time will be over. Cherish every minute you can because it is magical!

just.devious
01-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Congrats!

Chrisdles
01-31-2010, 10:42 AM
I have no advice to give as
a) I don't have children (yet) and
b) I am sure everyones journey is different

I just wanted to pass on my best wishes to you and the ickle bump. Talking of journeys, I hope the road is smooth and the scenery is fabulous.

mandy
01-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Congratulations to you!

Sara
02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
:Congrat77:

When I was pregnant with each of my three children, I used to love to read through the Lennart Nilsson book with all the in utero photographs of the baby developing. I would look at the photos and think "Oh, that's what my baby looks like now!" So fascinating and exciting! :) I also used to share the book with my children and show them what baby looked like and then let them feel the baby kicking. Such a lovely book...

Edwards Girl
05-29-2010, 03:51 PM
i'm bumping this up to let everyone know i just found out that i'm having a girl:60::jiggy:

KJTVH
05-29-2010, 03:59 PM
i'm bumping this up to let everyone know i just found out that i'm having a girl:60::jiggy:

Congratulations!! Girls are a lot of fun!

lilahlove
05-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Awww, congratulations! You're in for one wild ride. :wlaugh: Girls are a trip. My daughter is three and she already rolls her eyes at me. :shocked:

Nurslings
05-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Congrats!!!

Jill
05-29-2010, 05:13 PM
DH and I have two girls and they make life so much fun...most of the time, LOL!!!!
:c2:

MhorriganKeane
05-29-2010, 05:20 PM
congrats! on both being pregly and having a girl!

now you and your SO won't have to have a serious discussion on whether or not it would be ok to name your child after a KMM character, (Bruce and Byron almost were named Daegus and Drustan)

hop on over to the babycenter (http://www.babycenter.com), there's a lot of good resources there

Lycans
05-29-2010, 05:36 PM
It is called "The Girlfriends Guide To Pregnancy", by Vicki Ivoine (sp?).:th_nod:

We had been trying for a few years, and I had read so many books on pregnancy and child rearing by the time I found out I was (On husbands birthday!:jiggy:)

Picked up this book in B & N, was flipping through-it was great!!!! Funny, down to earth-just wonderful!!!

Found out she has about 5 books at that time, including the first year, toddlerhood, ending with getting yourself back when your baby goes to school. Even one how the dynamics of playdates and birthday parties (you would be surprised, it's kind of like highschool cliques).

Anyway, I give this book now to every girlfriend expecting and they all have loved it! And, I have some book snobby friends...well, like attracts like and all that:snick:.

I'm so happy for you sweetheart!!!!!:jiggy:
And yes, being scared and suddenly wondering if this really is the right thing, no matter how long you have ben trying (or not), is normal. So is freaking out about weird things that never bothered you before.

Plus, if your considering C-Section, PM me and I will be happy to share. I elected to have one after much research and I was thrilled w/ it!!!

You will do great!!!!:th_nod:

lilahlove
05-29-2010, 06:37 PM
It is called "The Girlfriends Guide To Pregnancy", by Vicki Ivoine (sp?).:th_nod:

We had been trying for a few years, and I had read so many books on pregnancy and child rearing by the time I found out I was (On husbands birthday!:jiggy:)

Picked up this book in B & N, was flipping through-it was great!!!! Funny, down to earth-just wonderful!!!

Found out she has about 5 books at that time, including the first year, toddlerhood, ending with getting yourself back when your baby goes to school. Even one how the dynamics of playdates and birthday parties (you would be surprised, it's kind of like highschool cliques).

Anyway, I give this book now to every girlfriend expecting and they all have loved it! And, I have some book snobby friends...well, like attracts like and all that:snick:.

I'm so happy for you sweetheart!!!!!:jiggy:
And yes, being scared and suddenly wondering if this really is the right thing, no matter how long you have ben trying (or not), is normal. So is freaking out about weird things that never bothered you before.

Plus, if your considering C-Section, PM me and I will be happy to share. I elected to have one after much research and I was thrilled w/ it!!!

You will do great!!!!:th_nod:
I just got done reading that book! I love how she calls morning sickness "progesterone poisoning." :biglaugh: I'm still, at 14 weeks, feeling the affects of "progesterone poisoning." And I have to agree, this is a wonderful book to read before, during, and after pregnancy.

Achaius
05-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Congratulations!!

Hesperia
05-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Congratulations!!