PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Recipe to season/make Chickpea salad

DoberDawn
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
At the Health Food Store near me they sell a delicious Chickpea (garbanzo bean) salad. I love it but would prefer to make my own for two reasons (price and sodium content). I use very little salt in my diet and have almost an allergic reaction to it, swelling up when I have it. I prefer to use a product that is potassium-based called No Salt. Yum! Anywhoo....

This is a no-lettuce salad. It is a bean side salad.

I know it has chickpeas (garbanzos) in it. It also has diced green bell peppers, tomatos, super thin string strips of carrots, and onions. I can tell that there is garlic in it. I would imagine from taste and texture there is garlic and oil. There is something to sharpen it, like vinegar or lemon/lime juice. Oh and there are little green sprigs, probably parsley. That is basically it for what I can see and overtly taste. I can taste and can tell from my body's reaction there is considerable salt in it.

Do any of you have a recipe for making this dish so I can make it at home??

Jill
02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Dawn, you might like this one because I know you like tomatoes.

Mediterranean Chick Pea Salad

1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 roasted red peppers, chopped
1/2 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons flaxseed oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, peppers, onion, cucumber, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, flaxseed oil, and salt. Toss to coat well. Let stand for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.

I also have one in my Moosewood Restaurant cookbook (I think).....BRB....

Jill
02-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Here is another one with white beans I have substituted with garbanzo beans before....

For extra flavor, sprinkle the artichoke hearts with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for 15 minutes in a preheated 400F oven. For a variation, add 1 jar Italian tuna packed in oil.
Ingredients:
For the dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. ground fennel seeds
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 package frozen quartered artichoke hearts,
thawed
2 cans (each 15 oz.) white beans, rinsed
and drained
1 small red onion, diced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
Directions:
To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours to allow the flavors to blend.

In a large bowl, combine the artichoke hearts, beans, onion, celery and oregano. Add the dressing and toss to coat the salad evenly. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl or, for transporting, pack in an airtight container. Serves 8.

Make-Ahead Tip: The salad can be prepared in advance, covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.

I do not like fennel so I leave that out.

DoberDawn
02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Those sound good.... the first sounds most like the one I currently buy... but the second sounds tasty to try.

*hugz*
Dawn

*Jo*
02-11-2010, 09:43 PM
There were so many types of chick pea salads on this site that I thought I'd copy the address. You don't have to be a member, just type in what you are looking for in the upper right rectangle/search engine.
Bon Appetit :0]

http://www.epicurious.com/recipesmenus

alba
02-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Dawn I find that once I have the basic dressing for bean salad you can add anything you like to it..