PDA

View Full Version : pronunciation

Sioned
02-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Hello,

does anyone here know how to pronounce the following names and words?

Daoine Sidhe
féth fiada
Morar
Teamir
Cathair Crofhind
D'Jai
Sin Siriche Du
ka-lyrra
Unseelie

It would be a great help to me

Sioned

LisK
02-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi Sionid - I see that this is your first post - Welcome!!!

If you check out Karen's website, you will probably find the pronunciations.
She also lists some reference books at the back of her books that might help.

Sioned
02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi LisK,

thanks for the welcome.
I checked her website and there are some hints but unfortunately not for all the words. As for the reference books ... I only have the german version of the books and in this there are none listed.

Sioned

bap7249
02-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi LisK,

thanks for the welcome.
I checked her website and there are some hints but unfortunately not for all the words. As for the reference books ... I only have the german version of the books and in this there are none listed.

Sioned

This won't help much, but that was why even though i have all the books, i ordered them in audiobooks...just to hear how the words are pronounced...i only have one audio but more are on the way...if i hear them i will try to post how they are pronounced...bap:33:

Angelee
02-17-2008, 03:56 PM
do they not have someplace that you can put a word in online and they read the word out to ya? I know it would be a comptuer saying it but then ya have it. I can't remember if I dreamt that or if it real but I am pretty sure ya could look online to fine a talking thingy. If that makes any sense, if ya are like me and needs to hear it instead of seeing it

Saint
02-17-2008, 04:16 PM
:th_glitter_078::th_welcome1: to the board. someone will be able help with the pron.

Sioned
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
@bap: that would be great. thanks

@Angelee: there are a lot of such things, yes. But they usually just can cope with our everiday language. As soon as it gets more complicated and you have foreign words they can't keep up. The computer voice will say something but it will probably be wrong. You can't rely on it.
I also checked some online dictionaries - even found the Tuatha De Danaan with a sound example - but not yet the words listed.

@Saint: thank you too :)

Angelee
02-17-2008, 09:02 PM
yeah that true didn't think about that, but yeah never hurt to try might give ya a good laugh too

WeeJamie
02-21-2008, 01:57 AM
I bought the Blood Fever audio book just to hear how the words were pronounced. It really helped. Also it was great fun to hear the book read after reading it.

bap7249
02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Hello,

does anyone here know how to pronounce the following names and words?

Daoine Sidhe
féth fiada
Morar
Teamir
Cathair Crofhind
D'Jai
Sin Siriche Du
ka-lyrra
Unseelie

It would be a great help to me

Sioned

I haven't forgotten your request for pronunciation but I only have DF and BF of the Fever series and the first 3 of the Highlanders series on audio...the rest either haven't been released or on order but haven't come yet. I do have some of the words that I had trouble with from the list. I will try to put them in as Phil Gigante (the man doing the reading) made them sound to me:
From Blood Fever:
Word__________________________Sounds like
Morar__________________________moor-ah
Unsellie_________________________un-seal-ie
Sidhba-ja_______________________sheeva-hi
craic___________________________crack
Pri-ya__________________________Pri-ya (i sound like in primary,
_____________________________________ a sound like in haha)
D'Jai___________________________Ja (a like in hah)
D'Jai Orb________________________Ja-orb (a sound like in ha,
_____________________________________ orb like in orbit)

From Beyond the Highland Mist:
Sidheach_______________________sha-hawk
King Finnbheara__________________finn-vera
Queen Aoibheal__________________a-veel (a sound like in haha)

I will post more as I go thru the books...bap:2v-vi:

stormsandsins
02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I haven't forgotten your request for pronunciation but I only have DF and BF of the Fever series and the first 3 of the Highlanders series on audio...the rest either haven't been released or on order but haven't come yet. I do have some of the words that I had trouble with from the list. I will try to put them in as Phil Gigante (the man doing the reading) made them sound to me:
From Blood Fever:

Thank you! I was wondering in another thread how Sidheach was pronounced and you just answered. Yay!

bap7249
02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
From Blood Fever:

I have finished my list of the pronounciation of the Gaelic words from BTHM as they sound to me in the audiobook read by Phil Gigante. I will contintue to post them in this thread for Sioned. Here are the additional words from:
geis____________________________gees
Rom____________________________Rome(pronounced this way when reading as anyone other than a Rom, when the Rom pronounce it as rahm with the a sound as in haha)
san siriche du____________________san-ser-ick-du (san like SanFrancisco)
Lughnassadh(Midsummer)__________Lu-na-suct(a as in haha,su as in suck)
Samhain________________________Sam-hane(sam as in samuel, hane as in cane)
Aine(fairy that Adam is threatened with)___Ann(a sound as in hard)
Sin Seriche du___________________Sn-ser-ick-du
daoine sith______________________dou-een-she
bean righe______________________been-ye
Amadan Dubh___________________Amah-dn-duuh(u sound like moo)

I hope this is semi-understanderable (if that's even a word)...its really hard to think of examples...hope this helps..bap
ps...Next book with be TTAHW...Sioned,I will post the prounounciations in the thread for that book when done...bap:33:

onlyheaven
05-09-2008, 01:13 AM
bap7249!!!!! YOU ROCK!! That was really very sweet of you to write up all the pronunciations. Sure took time & just wanted to say KUDOS to you :2v-vi::2v-vi::2v-vi:

onlyheaven
05-09-2008, 01:17 AM
do they not have someplace that you can put a word in online and they read the word out to ya? I know it would be a comptuer saying it but then ya have it. I can't remember if I dreamt that or if it real but I am pretty sure ya could look online to fine a talking thingy. If that makes any sense, if ya are like me and needs to hear it instead of seeing it

hmmm.....U know what, I do remember comin' across a site like that way. So you probably didn't dream it LOL :biggrin: Gotta search my Yahoo! Bookmarks to see if I kept it. Problem is.....I've got TONS of bookmarks thru the years and not sure what I might have named it. If I can find, I'll certainly post here & share.

P.S. I lovvvvvvvve your siggy and your avatar of Cian. ahhhhh, Cian. My heart is HUGE, so I love Adam, Cian, Dageus, Hawk, Grimm, Drustan, prettttttty much all of 'em, including Vishous from the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Anita
05-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Thanks BAP