PDA

View Full Version : Satellite coming to Earth

Liberty
02-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Okay, did anyone else know about this because I only heard about it yesterday evening on the radio. I think I might've heard it in passing earlier but can't remember.
Apparently there's a satellite the size of a bus heading to Earth and the fumes are said to be toxic so the military or NASA (sorry can't remember which) is planning to shot it out to save us. :a20:

I'll see if I can an article.

Apryl
02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
The US Navy shot it down this morning. They are expecting the debris to start falling to earth anytime and are predicting that they will hit somewhere in the Pacific, but I don't believe them. One morning I am going to be driving to work and get nailed by a piece of that darn spy satellite.

Liberty
02-21-2008, 09:26 AM
The US Navy shot it down this morning. They are expecting the debris to start falling to earth anytime and are predicting that they will hit somewhere in the Pacific, but I don't believe them. One morning I am going to be driving to work and get nailed by a piece of that darn spy satellite.

Okay, lol I guess it was happening sooner than I thought.
What if it hits someone on a boat? Did they give warnings to the fishermen?

janna7
02-21-2008, 09:26 AM
This was on the local NBC news this morning:

A missile launched from a Navy ship successfully struck a dying U.S. spy satellite passing 130 miles over the Pacific Ocean on Wednesday, a defense official said.
The Pentagon said it should know in the next 24 hours whether the spacecraft's fuel tank was destroyed as planned. The fuel tank contains approximately 1,000 pounds of hydrazine, a hazardous fuel that could pose a danger to people, before it entered into Earth's atmosphere.
"We are very confident that we hit the satellite and we have a high degree of confidence that we hit the tank," said Gen. James Cartwright, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Thursday morning. "We have a cloud that appears to be hydrazine. We're looking for more refinement of the data."
The missile-strike happened just after 10:30 p.m. EST.
Pentagon officials said the USS Lake Erie fired a single modified tactical Standard Missile-3, hitting the satellite approximately 133 nautical miles over the Pacific Ocean as it traveled in space at more than 17,000 mph.
U.S. officials have said the fuel would pose a potential health hazard to humans if it landed in a populated area. Although the odds of that were small even if the Pentagon had chosen not to try to shoot down the satellite, it was determined that it was worth trying to eliminate even that small chance.
Due to the relatively low altitude of the satellite at the time of the engagement, debris began to re-enter the earth's atmosphere immediately after the missile hit. Nearly all of the debris will burn up on re-entry within 24-48 hours and the remaining debris should re-enter within 40 days.
Cartwright said that of the debris that had been tracked, officials had seen nothing larger than the size of a football.

Janna7

Apryl
02-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Okay, let me paint a picture for you. A hunk of metal the size of a football, which has been flying through space, into the earth's atmosphere, so now it is a molten hunk of metal the size of a football which is, by this time, traveling at, I don't know, about 90,000,000 miles per hour hits your car as you are traveling home from work on your local interstate. Makes me feel so much better that it's only the size of a football! Man, you gotta love our government!

janna7
02-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I remember when Space Lab was "falling" to earth.

The comics joked that the safest place to be was in Houston because NASA would not let "Space Lab" fall on them! (ha!)

It does make you wonder what IS up in space and how much of it could be a hazzard to earth? The gov will not tell us that is for sure!

Janna7

JOJO
02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
I saw them blow the thing up on TV this morning. Where do you sign up for that job? That would have been so much fun to do.
Don't worry they do warn the fishermen in the strike area. My brother was shrimping in Florida and when they were about to lauch something at Cape C. they would fly around with a helicopter and drop sandbags on the boats to tell them to move out of the way. My brother said a couple of times he would be asleep and they they would just keep dropping sand bags till he woke up. LOL Then he had to clean them up. He hates NASA. LOL

Saint
02-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I saw in the paper they shot it down. I am not worried.