PDA

View Full Version : I Need Advice

Mac's Man
03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi :happy_face_waving:

O.K my Brother in law wants to set me up on a blind date. Have you had one? What worked and what didn't.

Any advice or tips for the guy who is going to go on one?

I'm unsure if it's the way to go.

Maria
03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Keep it simple, like a coffee date, and if you are both interested, then make another date. Have fun and be honest. If your not interested, don't make further plans or promises to meet again. The important thing is to have fun getting to know a new person. Just my thoughts, hope it helps :03:

CandyCane08
03-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi :happy_face_waving:

O.K my Brother in law wants to set me up on a blind date. Have you had one? What worked and what didn't.

Any advice or tips for the guy who is going to go on one?

I'm unsure if it's the way to go.

Oh whoa... that's a toughie... Well, first ask yourself do I trust my brothers judgement? Myself: I would be scared... BUT you'll never know if you don't go right???

amberplumeria
03-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I have been on a blind date before....I'm an RA and a couple years ago, some of my residents set me up with some guy they met at a party one night. It was REALLY awkward, but I don't regret taking the chance, only that I went along with his suggestion of an actual meal instead of saying "why don't we go to one of the five thousand coffee shops instead" so I had to sit there and eat a whole meal feeling awkward and dodging personal questions. e

alba
03-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Well I'm with Maria Keep it simple Lunch or an afternoon coffee & DESERT, If you hit it off or get the Vibe make a date for the evening....
The only blind Date I was on was years ago we went to a crappy movie out of town I think it was the longest day/ night of my life OOOO SHUDDER .... Did I mention I was 18 at the time.. How you feeling now ? I hope you were not hurt too badly last week end...

Dageus'Lass
03-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Well just go on the date and see how it turns out. You never know if you don't go and like Maria said if you aren't interested don't make any futher plans. Gook Luck good vibes coming your way :6:

QueenBoadica
03-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm personally a chicken and would never allow anyone to set me up on a blind date. However, I would say it depends on your relationship with your brother-in-law. Obviously, if he is married to your sister, he must have good taste in women, but does he know your taste in women? I would also want to know how he knows this woman and how close their relationship is. I would hesitate to go on a date with a close friend of his, because if things go bad, there might be awkwardness. However, if he doesn't know the woman well at all, that might cause some problems as well. I'd ask more questions and make sure the date is somewhat casual, coffee or some sort of short engagement, in case it doesn't work out, but open ended enough it could be extended if it does. Also, a secret tip of women, have a planned out. A phone call from a mate at a specified time with an emergency, but keep it simple, like a flat tire, so it seems unplanned. If the date goes well, great, if not, you simply, start the conversation, oh, that's tough, where are you?

I say go for it, what's the worst that can happen, an hour of boring conversation...you probably get that from some of your tattoo clients.

Echo
03-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I had one blind date. It was odd. We were set up by one of my girlfriends and I met him at a hockey game. A bunch of his friends met us there and they didn't really have a lot to say to me and then he left for an hour to go find cigarettes. I enjoyed the hockey game though. And then I found out he only went out with me to make my friend jealous and interested in him. It worked and they went out for years. But it also succeeded in making the guy I liked jealous and we've been married for 7 years. Kind of f'd up in a way I guess. But we were teenagers back then so that was the way of things then, right?
Also, something else to keep in mind, my parents met on a blind date (my mother spent the whole day before trying to find someone to take her place and couldn't) and they've been married for 37 years. So I say go for it, dude! You never know what could happen.:)

Anita
03-05-2008, 09:51 PM
My Best friend had a sneaky way of doing this to me.

I agree keep it simple. Keep it casual. Nothing to fancy like $50 each meal.
But nothing like a movie, you need to be able to talk to her (obviously).
My advise I guess would be keep it low key. Have fun! Going out for drinks can be fun. Also if she reads a lot book stores can be really fun and it makes for easy conversation.
Good luck let us know how it works out!!!

One big not to do which I would think would be obvious but it must not be since it happened to me:

If the date isn't going well don't try and set her up with you brother, cousin or friend it makes matters worse. Also don't talk about some woman you went on a date with last week that does not believe in shaving and still wears a short skirt.:a20:
I was on a date with a guy once that did those things. Then I fell on the ice and cut my foot opened he laughed. Lets just say even if only one of those had happened not to mention all 3 it STILL would have been a one time thing and yes I called the guy a jerk and left and went home called my sister and we went out for coffee and had a laugh.

A week later the guy calls asking me out again:a20: I said no.

Amie
03-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Is there any way that you can make it into a group outing? That takes alot of the pressure off . Maybe you can invite her to got out with you and some friends to a bar or park?

Mac's Man
03-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I have been on a blind date before....I'm an RA and a couple years ago, some of my residents set me up with some guy they met at a party one night. It was REALLY awkward, but I don't regret taking the chance, only that I went along with his suggestion of an actual meal instead of saying "why don't we go to one of the five thousand coffee shops instead" so I had to sit there and eat a whole meal feeling awkward and dodging personal questions. e

Well I'm with Maria Keep it simple Lunch or an afternoon coffee & DESERT, If you hit it off or get the Vibe make a date for the evening....
The only blind Date I was on was years ago we went to a crappy movie out of town I think it was the longest day/ night of my life OOOO SHUDDER .... Did I mention I was 18 at the time.. How you feeling now ? I hope you were not hurt too badly last week end...

Hmmmm. Looks like something short is needed. I'd hate to have a awkward dinner like amberplumeria!!

I like the idea of desert (mainly because if it was up to me I'd eat nothing be sweet things for the rest of my life) there is this chocolate bar that's open late near me. I could find out if she's into chocolate and if so I could order one of those massive slabs of chocolate cake with two forks and go from there :33:

Hey Alba. I'm feeling better. Broken inspired me to go camping so I've been camping and I feel so much better. :60:

However, I would say it depends on your relationship with your brother-in-law. Obviously, if he is married to your sister, he must have good taste in women, but does he know your taste in women? I would also want to know how he knows this woman and how close their relationship is. I would hesitate to go on a date with a close friend of his, because if things go bad, there might be awkwardness.

They're very good friends. My BIL dated her sister before he met my sister and they remained friends.

Also, a secret tip of women, have a planned out. A phone call from a mate at a specified time with an emergency, but keep it simple, like a flat tire, so it seems unplanned.

That's it I'm so confiscating her mobile at the start of the date LOL I herd the same game plan from another girl yesterday.

I say go for it, what's the worst that can happen, an hour of boring conversation...you probably get that from some of your tattoo clients.

The majority of my clients are bitting down hard on a piece of leather to stop them moaning LOL so ANY conversation will be better then that.

I had one blind date. It was odd. We were set up by one of my girlfriends and I met him at a hockey game. A bunch of his friends met us there and they didn't really have a lot to say to me and then he left for an hour to go find cigarettes. I enjoyed the hockey game though. And then I found out he only went out with me to make my friend jealous and interested in him. It worked and they went out for years. But it also succeeded in making the guy I liked jealous and we've been married for 7 years. Kind of f'd up in a way I guess. But we were teenagers back then so that was the way of things then, right?
Also, something else to keep in mind, my parents met on a blind date (my mother spent the whole day before trying to find someone to take her place and couldn't) and they've been married for 37 years. So I say go for it, dude! You never know what could happen.:)

Hey Echo :happy_face_waving: That's a great story!!

A week later the guy calls asking me out again:a20: I said no.

LMFAO!! You got to dig a dude who doesn't get the plot. He probably thought you were the best thing since sliced bread and you're thinking NEVER AGAIN! LOL

Broken
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Whoo HOOOOOOO I inspired someone! LOL. Now did you bring the bow and arrow or was some of my inspiration wasted?

Cant help you on the other...the blind date. I say the same as everyone else. Keep it small and light. BTW who doesn't like chocolate. You are so lucky your not taking me there. My face would be in the center of the chocolate fountain with my mouth hanging open. LOL.

Dageus'Lass
03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Whoo HOOOOOOO I inspired someone! LOL. Now did you bring the bow and arrow or was some of my inspiration wasted?

Cant help you on the other...the blind date. I say the same as everyone else. Keep it small and light. BTW who doesn't like chocolate. You are so lucky your not taking me there. My face would be in the center of the chocolate fountain with my mouth hanging open. LOL.

lmaooo you and me both :happy0194:

QueenBoadica
03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
That's it I'm so confiscating her mobile at the start of the date LOL I herd the same game plan from another girl yesterday.

You can not confiscate her mobile! Everyone needs a safety net and the mobile is better than the friend just showing up during the date or her going to the bathroom and never returning (and trust me, there have been times in my life I have looked with longing at the window of a bathroom and wondered if I could squeeze through).

The majority of my clients are bitting down hard on a piece of leather to stop them moaning LOL so ANY conversation will be better then that.

Wait, so you want a date with conversation that does not involve biting on leather straps and moaning? Damn, guess that means I need to put away the giant X and the handcuffs. :03:

Mac's Man
03-05-2008, 10:54 PM

LOL yeah I forgot to tell you that, I just split. It was great. My weapon of choice was a fishing pole and bait :D

Wait, so you want a date with conversation that does not involve biting on leather straps and moaning? Damn, guess that means I need to put away the giant X and the handcuffs. :03:

:eek: I'm just not going to go there. :33: but why I'm not surprised I had that response for you QB ? LOL

QueenBoadica
03-05-2008, 11:00 PM
:eek: I'm just not going to go there. :33: but why I'm not surprised I had that response for you QB ? LOL

My reputation proceeds me? Or it it the Mistress of the Pink Whip written below my name that gave me away?

Sorry, but you did set yourself up for that one. If I didn't say it, one of the other ladies would have. We're evil :anim_devil-vi: !!!

Mac's Man
03-05-2008, 11:09 PM
My reputation proceeds me? Or it it the Mistress of the Pink Whip written below my name that gave me away?

Sorry, but you did set yourself up for that one. If I didn't say it, one of the other ladies would have. We're evil :anim_devil-vi: !!!

:anim_rolleyes-vi: Like I read those things under the names LOL

What the lime green whips were out of stock? I didn't even know they came in colours other then black. Yes you are a tad wicked and no doubt one of the other ladies would have said something equally wicked and wrong :53:

QueenBoadica
03-05-2008, 11:13 PM
:anim_rolleyes-vi: Like I read those things under the names LOL

What the lime green whips were out of stock? I didn't even know they came in colours other then black. Yes you are a tad wicked and no doubt one of the other ladies would have said something equally wicked and wrong :53:

Umm, no, I like pink! Pink is a great color! Why would I want a lime green whip when I could have a pink one? It matches my pink fuzzy handcuffs and you know, women like things that match.

A tad wicked? A tad! I will definitely have to try harder if you only think I'm a tad wicked! Hmm, will have to think of something...

Bellafaccia21
03-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I have gone on a blind date before. Its more of a your friend says hey i know someone that would be great for you and then you get suckered in. I would agree with everyone else here and keep it simple. I would also suggest maybe going out with your brother in law and sister that was it is not so awkward. Keep and open mind and just think positive. I mean at best it turns out great and you become friends or more. at worst you suffer and than move on:) my motto make the best out of everything! that way at least ur never bored!!

Anita
03-05-2008, 11:21 PM
LMFAO!! You got to dig a dude who doesn't get the plot. He probably thought you were the best thing since sliced bread and you're thinking NEVER AGAIN! LOL

A few weeks ago I ran into the guy at a bar with my friends, I grabbed my friends arm and said pretend you're my boyfriend that guy there was from that awful date I told you about.
When the guy saw me my friend said she's my girlfriend then said she's going to have my baby.

The guy STILL wanted another date. My friends and I finished our drinks and went else where.

Dageus'Lass
03-05-2008, 11:22 PM
A few weeks ago I ran into the guy at a bar with my friends, I grabbed my friends arm and said pretend you're my boyfriend that guy there was from that awful date I told you about.
When the guy saw me my friend said she's my girlfriend then said she's going to have my baby.

The guy STILL wanted another date. My friends and I finished our drinks and went else where.

lol wow he just doesn't get it

Mac's Man
03-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Well I've made the phone call and called her (got her number) and organised a after dinner date at the chocolate shop (she likes chocolate and I like chocolate, that's like a plus right there.) It's going to be my Friday night so if you're all on here to chat on your Friday night (my saturday) I'll be able to let you know how it goes. She sounds nice and I made her laugh *feeling all big boy macho because I made a lady laugh*

Now if I wear my fav pirate t-**** and jeans would she get the wrong idea that I don't care? it's a casual thing.... what should I wear? :33: I wonder if I can get my hands on one of those large novelty flowers again LOL Flowers too much?

Anita
03-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Casual hun but not "I'm going to the market casual"

Dageus'Lass
03-05-2008, 11:29 PM
thats great Jax :2v-vi: but no pirate shirt lol and I think flowers might be a little much

QueenBoadica
03-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Well I've made the phone call and called her (got her number) and organised a after dinner date at the chocolate shop (she likes chocolate and I like chocolate, that's like a plus right there.) It's going to be my Friday night so if you're all on here to chat on your Friday night (my saturday) I'll be able to let you know how it goes. She sounds nice and I made her laugh *feeling all big boy macho because I made a lady laugh*

Now if I wear my fav pirate t-**** and jeans would she get the wrong idea that I don't care? it's a casual thing.... what should I wear? :33: I wonder if I can get my hands on one of those large novelty flowers again LOL Flowers too much?

First date, flowers a tad much, if it's just a casual thing. Pirate shirt, hmm, not sure about that one. I usually try to look nice the first date and I think most women do...showing up in a pirate shirt might not be a good idea.

Anita
03-05-2008, 11:33 PM
That's just what I was meaning thanks and I agree flowers too much

Anita
03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
lol wow he just doesn't get it

No he doesn't and it's starting to creep me out.

Mac's Man
03-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Fine no pirate shirt and no flowers.

Jeans still ok? Maybe jeans (dark), converse shoes and my billabong surf dress shirt (this one)

Should I shave? I kind of like my facial hair, makes me feel manly LOL

Anita
03-05-2008, 11:45 PM
That shirt would work. It's casual but dressy casual and not "I'm going to the market casual" Dark jeans would be good.
As for shave, I have a facial hair ewwyNess thing. BUT if you keep make sure it's clean cut and not straggly.

QueenBoadica
03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Fine no pirate shirt and no flowers.

Jeans still ok? Maybe jeans (dark), converse shoes and my billabong surf dress shirt (this one)

Should I shave? I kind of like my facial hair, makes me feel manly LOL

As long as the jeans aren't ratty, I'd say ok. Same with the converse shoes...if holey, then no. Not sure about the shirt. Personally, I like clean shaven. Frankly, I've talked to guys and been told not shaving is usually just laziness. I shave my legs for dates, so damn it, the guy should have to shave his face! But others may disagree.

Dageus'Lass
03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
That shirt would work. It's casual but dressy casual and not "I'm going to the market casual" Dark jeans would be good.
As for shave, I have a facial hair ewwyNess thing. BUT if you keep make sure it's clean cut and not straggly.

what Anita said

WeeJamie
03-05-2008, 11:49 PM
GROUP DATE!!! It takes some of the pressure off.

Mac's Man
03-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I shave my legs for dates, so damn it, the guy should have to shave his face! But others may disagree.

LMAO! Good point

I've got a simple black, short sleve shirt in a heavy silk (not shiny) that looks good with dark jeans so I could do that. I have my proper jade maori carved pendant on a leather strap I could wear. I'll wear my simple black leather shoes and I'll think about my facial hair LOL See my pics - does my face hair look ratty? Be honest I can take it... I think.

Should I mention I read romance books?

I'm kind of nervous. This is my first date since I broke up with my ex, we were together for sometime and I just didn't date afterwards. I hope, if nothing else, it's not a disaster.

Anita
03-05-2008, 11:58 PM
LMAO! Good point

Honestly hun, I'd see how it goes first if you feel comfy then sure. But try to test the waters so to speak first. Honestly some women are b*tches and would mock men that do other would find it sweet others would find it neat because it shows your afraid to "go there" and read a great book.
just my opinion sorry I'm very opinionated. :65:

Mac's Man
03-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Honestly hun, I'd see how it goes first if you feel comfy then sure. But try to test the waters so to speak first. Honestly some women are b*tches and would mock men that do other would find it sweet others would find it neat because it shows your afraid to "go there" and read a great book.
just my opinion sorry I'm very opinionated. :65:

She sounded sweet but you're right. It's always good to test the waters first.

QueenBoadica
03-06-2008, 12:05 AM
LMAO! Good point

I've got a simple black, short sleve shirt in a heavy silk (not shiny) that looks good with dark jeans so I could do that. I have my proper jade maori carved pendant on a leather strap I could wear. I'll wear my simple black leather shoes and I'll think about my facial hair LOL See my pics - does my face hair look ratty? Be honest I can take it... I think.

I'm kind of nervous. This is my first date since I broke up with my ex, we were together for sometime and I just didn't date afterwards. I hope, if nothing else, it's not a disaster.

Ok, final advice for the evening, then I will sleep, cause I'm exhausted (it's midnight here). First, outfit sounds good, shows you are thinking about your appearance, which is a plus. Second, honestly, whatever you feel comfortable with should be what you go with. If you like the facial hair, keep it. You don't want a woman who doesn't like you for being you. That being said, I might not mention the romance novels the first date. First date is usually that general but non-controversial topic period, you know, favorite movies, what you do for a living, anything but exs!!!

And finally, you'll be fine! Even bad things sometimes have good results, if you keep a positive mindset. My bad dates are just humorous stories I tell others now and most of the humor is stupid stuff I did. Good Luck!

Mac's Man
03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm psyching myself out a bit I think so I'm going to chill.

Feel free to keeping posting advice and tips ladies.

I've got to split but thanks for everyone's input :happy_face_waving:

Dageus'Lass
03-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Good Luck and tell us how it goes

Anita
03-06-2008, 12:11 AM
First dates are interviews.

Can't remember where I heard that it was like a movie or a book or a show or a billboard or something.

Lana
03-06-2008, 02:19 AM
I think the ladies have pretty much covered it all. The only thing I can add is just relax and be yourself. Don't put too much pressure on yourself or the date. Can't say I've ever had bad blind dates, but I have had some awkward ones. Like QB said, they just end up being good stories to tell your friends. And I like the Bilabong shirt. :03:

mandy
03-06-2008, 05:50 AM
I met my currrent boyfriend on a kinda blind date...... First one I've ever done and it was fun! We went to see a movie and we were too early for one so went for a drink first chatted a bit and then to the movie..... We got to talk and spend some time in 'comfortable' silence too.

Hope it goes well!

Apryl
03-06-2008, 07:19 AM
I really don't have much advice that hasn't already been covered here. The only thing that I would add is about the facial hair. If it is something you normally wear then DON'T SHAVE, however, if you have been thinking of shaving or normally don't have facial hair then take it off. You want her to see you as you normally are. But either way, good luck on the date and let us know how it goes!

Cheryle
03-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Awww Mac's Man how exciting! Sounds like you have it all planned well! I have no advice but just wanted to say good luck!

janna7
03-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Go on the blind date - keep it simple as the other girls have mentioned - nothing ventured nothing gained I say.

Janna7

highlanderlas
03-06-2008, 06:27 PM
All I can add is, have fun!!! :6:

alba
03-06-2008, 07:36 PM
what the CLAN said:6::6::6:
BE YOURSELF & HAVE FUN:6:

sassenach888
03-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Seems to me you'll be just fine, just relax and have fun!!!