PDA

View Full Version : Okay I gave in

chaltom
06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
And watched PS I love you. I had resisted because I could tell that it would be a tear jerker and I don't like to cry. So I waited and thought maybe I could let this one GB movie go by and be Okay with that. But no I noticed that it was showing on Directv payperview so I gave in and bought it but I waited a few days still thinking that I maybe I could still get buy with seeing this one Jerry movie but again no I had to sit down this morning on my day off while at home by myself and watch it. God, did I ever cry. GB is handsome as ever and the movie is very well done but my god it hits me right in the heart. The thought of ever being alone with out my Dave is my greatest fear in the world. I'm not certain that I could ever come back from his loss half as well as Holly does. Anyway, it was a very good movie I'm not certain that I could ever make it through it again but I'm glad that the lure of Gerry caused me to sit through the tears.

Maria
06-04-2008, 12:41 PM
PS I love You, great movie!

mandy
06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I Love the movie and I love Gerry but GB does an awful irish accent!! I preferred the book to the movie to be honest thought the movie changes to story too much. But hey thats just my personal opinion! Please don't hate me!

bap7249
06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I know just how you feel about the "cry factor"...i still have only watched up to the part where Holly is singing in the barand she only sees gerry...had to stop watching because i was sobbing just too hard...i will watch the rest when i can get control of myself...bap7249

squarepegroundhole
06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I Love the movie and I love Gerry but GB does an awful irish accent!! I preferred the book to the movie to be honest thought the movie changes to story too much. But hey thats just my personal opinion! Please don't hate me!

I agree, never send a Scotsman to do an Irish man's job!!! LMAO...Hilary Swank did nothing for me IMO

Lana
06-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Mandy sooo totally agree with you. I looooved the book and didn't love the changes they made with the movie, the biggest being that they moved it from Ireland to NY because to me, Ireland was really another huge character in the book. But even worse than Gerry's accent was Jeffrey Dean Morgan's, don't ya think?

highlanderlas
06-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I know just how you feel about the "cry factor"...i still have only watched up to the part where Holly is singing in the barand she only sees gerry...had to stop watching because i was sobbing just too hard...i will watch the rest when i can get control of myself...bap7249

Please finish it! It is so worth it. I am a romantic sap and I cried all four times I have watched it.

Apryl
06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
*ducks behind VP* I still haven't seen it.

highlanderlas
06-04-2008, 01:46 PM
*ducks behind VP* I still haven't seen it.

When the time is right, you will see it. I would suggest when you've had a terrible day and need a good cry, watch it. Then you can cry all you want. LOL

squarepegroundhole
06-04-2008, 01:49 PM
When the time is right, you will see it. I would suggest when you've had a terrible day and need a good cry, watch it. Then you can cry all you want. LOL

PMS days are preferrable!!! LOL

jeant
06-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I didn't like Hillary in this role. I have seen her in other types of movies and liked her, I just don't think she did this movie as well. GB was good, seemed he have been playing himself.

Conoga
06-04-2008, 02:20 PM
i'm still holding out. i will go out of my way not to see it.
i dont have days bad enough where i WANT to cry lmao!!!!

when i was pregnant - only weeks from my due date - it was DH's birthday, my cat had to be put to sleep that day, DH was having problems at work, was also having problems with his ex wife manipulating his kid and turning her into a little monsterous brat, this commercial came on the tv about not leaving your kids alone in a car.... and i just sat in the floor and cried my ever loving heart out! i was dogsitting my cousins bulldog Bo and he came up and put his head in my lap and looked at me like "Um Sowwy... canna make it bedder??" and i started crying harder which made my son cry... DH came home and got the news about the cat and ... well.... i felt bad for him coming home to a house knee deep in tears on his birthday.

oh man there is no way in hell i'm going near that movie!!!

dmarie
06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
I haven't seen it either because I'm afraid of the "tear jerker" factor in it. I just can't do that to myself!! I know I would cry and cry and cry.

Jenn
06-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Mandy, LMAO!!!! I suppose if anyone had an opinion on it, yours would carry the most weight, LOL!

Chaltom, I'm glad you finally saw it, it is SUCH a great movie!!! I saw it in the theatres with my mother, but DH watched it with me when he bought it for me. I was able to keep my composure better the second time.

I really liked Hilary in this one. She and Gerry had great chemistry, on and off screen!

This will be another 'Dear Frankie' for me, meaning that I'm going to have to insist that all my friends see it! It is very different from the book, and they did change a lot that I wish they hadn't. So if you haven't read the book yet, I highly recommend seeing the movie first!

Cheryle
06-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I really liked the movie!

Jenn
06-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Wanted to add this above, but I guess you can't use the spoiler button on an edit.

I still tear up in 4 places: the funeral scene, afterward when she calls his phone over and over just to hear his voicemail greeting, the singing in the bar scene where she sees only him, and where she runs to her mother in tears.

And to think I consider that 'keeping my composure! I was a flippin' mess in the theatre, LOL!

Vicki
06-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I haven't read the book, so I thought the movie was excellent!! I guess I must be really wierd :goofy: cuz I don't mind watching tearjearkers!! I always feel so much better afterwards.

Beware_of_Italics
06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
SO GLAD you saw it!!! Make sure you watch the travel agency deleted scene. I know you didn't rent the dvd (is that right?), but it can be seen online. I think GALS has it posted for download.

And Jenn, I'm nodding my head in agreement with your posts. :th_nod: I thought Hilary and Gerry were a very believable couple. As believable as Leonidas/Gorgo in 300.

My only real complaint was that the ice cream scene from the book wasn't filmed. Also that my favorite line from two of Gerry's letters weren't in the movie. "Shoot for the moon, and if you miss you'll still be among the stars." I've always loved that quote, especially when he included it in his last letter about wanting her to not be afraid to fall in love again.

It's a beautiful story that's up there with Phantom for me. I love the sad love stories.

Lia_MacKelter001
06-04-2008, 05:29 PM
And watched PS I love you. I had resisted because I could tell that it would be a tear jerker and I don't like to cry. So I waited and thought maybe I could let this one GB movie go by and be Okay with that. But no I noticed that it was showing on Directv payperview so I gave in and bought it but I waited a few days still thinking that I maybe I could still get buy with seeing this one Jerry movie but again no I had to sit down this morning on my day off while at home by myself and watch it. God, did I ever cry. GB is handsome as ever and the movie is very well done but my god it hits me right in the heart. The thought of ever being alone with out my Dave is my greatest fear in the world. I'm not certain that I could ever come back from his loss half as well as Holly does. Anyway, it was a very good movie I'm not certain that I could ever make it through it again but I'm glad that the lure of Gerry caused me to sit through the tears.

I done the same thing. I wanted to watch it, but I knew it was gonna make me cry. I don't like crying myself, either. I sat there with my mother and my fiance and balled like a baby. The entire time I thought "OMG what would I do if I lost Jac like she lost him? I wouldn't survive." My mother, I could tell, was thinking the same about my daddy (they've been married 21 years in September and still act like teenagers; it's adorable!). That movie is just the greatest ever.

chaltom
06-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Glad to know that I wasn't the only one to think about the loss of the love of your life. My aniversary was yesterday so I think that played in to the emotion. My Dh is eleven years older than me. So the thought of something happening to him is kinda all ways in the back of my mind. Also on a completely selfish note, I fear being alone. We don't have childern who's going to take care of me when I get old if Dave isn't there? Silly I know but I worry about it at strange unrational times. Sorry don't really mean to be a downer.

mandy
06-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Mandy, LMAO!!!! I suppose if anyone had an opinion on it, yours would carry the most weight, LOL!

LOL Jenn I suppose I am a little of an authority on the Irish accent!! Let me tell you the real thing is MUCH sexier!! I can vouch for that!

azure
06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
I've meant to watch it. Movies On Demand is always advertising it w/ " Just Breathe" by Michelle Branch, which always gets my attention. I just might this weekend, I need a good chick flick.

azure
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I watched on Saturday night. It wasn't half bad, though I totally saw Jennifer Garner as Holly.

I didn't like the beginning, but it got prgressively better, GB was damn good despite the attrocious accent.

The funniest part was after the wake when Holly shut herself in and everyone suprised her for her birthday and when she fell of the stage during karaoke; the saddest was when she remembered how she met Jerry on the road. I thought the interaction with her friends like on the lake in Ireland or with her family, was funny and realistic. The ending was so cute especially her mother's reaction to William's dad.

Makes me want to go on a trip.