PDA

View Full Version : Video editing help?

Conoga
06-04-2008, 02:47 PM
yeah i have been wanting to make my own videos for fun... like you see in youtube - clips from movies, or just... videos i take with my digital camera... but i dont know how to do it.

my digital camera is a Kodak Easy Share and it runs the videos on Quicktime. but Windows Movie Maker does NOT like Quicktime. wont have anything to do with it.

as for movies.... my computer has a DVD player in it now but is there an extra program i need to um.... break the law and steal clips from movies to make music videos? :snick:

Viking Princess
06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
yeah i have been wanting to make my own videos for fun... like you see in youtube - clips from movies, or just... videos i take with my digital camera... but i dont know how to do it.

my digital camera is a Kodak Easy Share and it runs the videos on Quicktime. but Windows Movie Maker does NOT like Quicktime. wont have anything to do with it.

as for movies.... my computer has a DVD player in it now but is there an extra program i need to um.... break the law and steal clips from movies to make music videos? :snick:

LOL i hit thanks instead of quote so thank you so much for asking this question. I will be GLAD to explain to you how to break the law and steal movie clips. LOL!!!!

You need a DVD ripper program to do this. there are lots of them out there. I THINK DVDshrink is a free one but it makes files huge and i didn't like it. I use ImTOODVDRipper 2.0 to snag my films, the ONLY problem with it however is that sometimes it delays the audio so if you want to cut a scene as a a scene and not to add to music it will be annoying. Also not all DVDs are compatable with all rippers. Rippers decrypt the footage, but some companies like Buena Vista and Disney put extra protection and you can't take their stuff at all. I was lucky with some other ripper to get Pirates of the Caribbean ripped for my jack Sparrow video, but MOST disney dvds will not rip. only season one of LOST will rip for me, and the footage has random pauses. the same thing happened with Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Not all films come out the way you want it to.

(ok I am showing off a little...but examples work best I feel)

Windows Movie Maker is great for learning how to edit. BUT it is the worst program out there. It freezes on you and you literaly have to save after everything you ad or there is a huge chance you won't get it back. And you have no choice but to edit from start to finish.
example of a video on WMM: Tourniquet (http://www.imeem.com/ishstmproductions/video/xOeLusAm/victoria_ishstm_tourniquet_tv_video/)

My second program I used was Magix Movie Studio and it was more refreshing than WMM, but the effects were cheesy...even though i went through the put as many crappy transitions as possible into the video stage...and the program was constantly causing my computer to shut down randomly. Not good for the hard drive.
A sample of a video on Magix: X-men (http://www.imeem.com/ishstmproductions/video/xKBX4vAk/victoria_ishstm_productions_xmen_movies_video/)
(this is in MUCH better quality on my site. stretching in stream video makes it yucky)

I am currently using Sony Vegas Movie Studio and WHERE has it been all my life!!! like Magix you can edit any part of the video at any time. You have multiple layers so you can do overlays without having to do a crossfade transition. the effects are more professional. This program also allows quicktime to be imported and exported.
example of a video on sony vegas: Dark Wings (http://www.imeem.com/ishstmproductions/video/0I_IwTNq/victoria_ishstm_productions_dark_wings_animation_v ideo/)

there is ONE program I haven't tried that I really really really want. It is Adobe Premiere. This chick,Kristin, uses it and got 3 of her videos on a the 3rd season of Forever Knight. They look amazing: http://www.avenuepotter.com/~kristin/vampirevideos.htm (check out System and Forsaken)

Conoga
06-04-2008, 03:41 PM
THANKS! :D and not to worry about the thanks button.... i have done that a few times lately lol

i'm going to look up those DVD rippers now. the only problem i have next is the DVD player is in my computer, but it cant get online for some reason - doesnt recognise the wireless program or something -
i MIGHT let DH put the dvd player in his computer..... maybe..... i'd rather he just put mine back online lol

is there a way i can download the ripper to my external hard drive then plug that into my computer and upload it from there?

Viking Princess
06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
I have nooo experience with the external harddrives so I don't know what to tell you there. I would think that you would be able to. But as I don't really know...yeeeeeah. lol

Good luck tracking down your ripper. Vidding is addicting, so you know. I am kinda bummed I haven't been able to do it a lot lately.

Beware_of_Italics
06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
About dvd rippers--

Anyone here know anything about Handbrake? I need a dvd ripper program to upload a couple home videos to our computer. I'm afraid to open it up though b/c it always gives me a message saying it "may corrupt your computer."

Viking Princess
06-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't even try it if it gives me that message. I have never heard of it either. I've been using I'mTOO for 3.5 years and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Conoga
06-04-2008, 04:45 PM
i'm going to have to find that one some how.... any way to know for sure if its the real program and.. not a free trial or a virus?
thats my concern, downloading a virus...

Viking Princess
06-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't know how to be sure it is not a virus unless you download from the company's secure website. when i browsed around earlier all the ones that used to be free are no free trial only.

stormsandsins
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
is there a way i can download the ripper to my external hard drive then plug that into my computer and upload it from there?

Absolutely. We download everything on our ext. HD at home so every computer can have the latest version of AVG, for example, without having to download it three or four times.