PDA

View Full Version : Badasses of Romance

Justary
06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
LOL; well you have to admit it, we are the readers of the tough romance :wbiggrin:, the ones that love when our heroines stand their own, the ones where our heros are those brooding, alpha-males who kick ass....

And we LOVE IT!:2v-vi:

this is the best kind of romance for a girl in this times, when you take it as it comes and make no excuses for shi°!, LOL, well is true...:th_nod:

Anyway, we had a whole new branch of romance here, and it is my favorite, but I'm guilty of loving that soft side of romance too. I admit that I have many Harlequin books that I love, well a man is still a man, an he protect the heroine of harm. The ones where the is a shy virgin who is saved by the lord of the desert, LOL :s8:. Yeah, I'm a softy deep (OK, veeeeeeery deep) down.

I think I have a balance when it comes to my novels, what about you? :wbiggrin:

Dageus'Lass
06-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I need a balance of both depending on mood if I am sad or pmsing I'll go for the soft romance where women want to be rescued and if I am in rare form or someone pisses me off I need my tough romance books. So I guess I do need a balance. The books you are talking about where the is a shy virgin who is saved by the lord of the desert is it Desert Affair by Kate Walker and The Sheikh's Proposal by Barbara McMahon?

Alex Holbrook
06-11-2008, 03:12 PM
There has to be a happy medium...somewhere. I like when he comes off really macho and intimidating and then throws her a curve ball and likes kittens or something. I still want an Adam Black of my very own. He's perfect for me: a real man with testosterone who's not afraid to use it.

tcdarcy7
06-11-2008, 03:39 PM
I prefer books where the women stands her ground. Obviously the seemingly unattainable male hotness is a delightful must. He doesn't necessarily have to safe her, but be capable of doing so.

Apart from the books discussed on the forum, I will always be a sucker for Pride & Prejudice. Other favorites includes Thornbirds, Mistrals daughter (Judith Kranz) & Zoya (Danielle Steele). I think that classifies as softer romance. Right??

To vary my reading a wee bit, I also enjoy suspense mystery kinda books.

stormsandsins
06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
A good balance, but I hate a ditzy woman with a passion so I don't really like soft romance. I also hate cliché meetings (y'know, 'I was just standing there and the love of my life happened by' *hurl*).

Currently reading my first Judith McNaught (Every Breath You Take) thinking it'd be a nice suspense, but I'm about 3/4 in and we're juuuuust starting to get to the murder story. Ugh. Disappointing.

MelanieD
06-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I definitely read different styles of book depending on my mood. Can love a Lynn Kurland and on other days just want a Lora Leigh. :wbiggrin:

bunchesofluv22
06-11-2008, 04:06 PM
It depends on my mood about what I read. Lately it's been mystery/suspense/contemporary books. I think I've been on this binge because I was getting way too much of a "softness" dose from my other books.

Conoga
06-11-2008, 07:20 PM
i like the kinds of romances where yeah the alpha male appears out of no-where and rescues the heroine but fails to realise she doesnt need rescuing...

or heroines that are independent and have to be rescued as a result.

i like excitement in a story. i like the chase more than anything. i mean its a romance... we already know where its headed... but GETTING there is half the fun.

*Jo*
06-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I am UNBALANCED.
Men should be men.
Cry.
Adore the women they love.
Protect. Cherish.
Lust after their mates only.
Have integrity. Hard working.
Love children, dogs, and cats.
Equal to their partners in every way.
This is the type of male that will get me every time.
Vampires, werewolves, humans, fae...
Intense eyes, any color. Straight nose.
Laugh lines near the eyes.
Pouty lips, lower lip slightly bigger than the top.
Smile that warms way down to your heart.
Pearly white teeth. Missing molars okay. Tongue preferred.
No comment.
Massive chest, slightly furred if you please.
Arms, strong and warm. Not afraid to wrap around you any time of the day or night.
Treasure trail optional.
Belly button, outie or innie as long as they only have one.
Legs, yes. 'Nough said.
Same size preferred...no further comment.
*ss, yes. Round as peaches not necessary.
Um, I'll leave the rest unsaid.
Fully assembled with working parts upon delivery.
The End.

LisK
06-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Gin, I LOVE YOUR SIGGY!!!

Yeah, there's gotta be a mix. I don't mind a story where the woman discovers her inner strength - I find myself cheering for her & loving it when the hero loves her for it too.

Stormsandsins - you should try reading Karen Robards. She write great suspense/romance. You don't have to wait so long to get to the murder/mystery. And she does romance really well. Bait and Whispers at Midnight were two good ones.

dmarie
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I am UNBALANCED.
Men should be men.
Cry.
Protect. Cherish.
No comment.
Arms, strong and warm. Not afraid to wrap around you any time of the day or night.
Treasure trail optional.
Legs, yes. 'Nough said.
The End.

Love this! This great!

I do like a mix of both for my heroine's.

LisK
06-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I am UNBALANCED.
Men should be men.
Cry.
Protect. Cherish.
No comment.
Treasure trail optional.
Legs, yes. 'Nough said.
The End.

Jo, this doesn't sound UNBALANCED to me - sounds perfectly wonderful!! Where do I meet this guy?? Oh yeah, that's why I read!! :snick:

*Jo*
06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Love this! This great!

I do like a mix of both for my heroine's.

WINK...
Merci, dmarie!!:wwink:

*Jo*
06-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Jo, this doesn't sound UNBALANCED to me - sounds perfectly wonderful!! Where do I meet this guy?? Oh yeah, that's why I read!! :snick:

LISSSSSSSSS....:th_nod:
YOU already have one of these, you silly girl.
As a matter of fact, so do I.
I think THAT our MEN are very lucky, indeed!

FeverChick
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
A good balance, but I hate a ditzy woman with a passion so I don't really like soft romance. I also hate cliché meetings (y'know, 'I was just standing there and the love of my life happened by' *hurl*).

Currently reading my first Judith McNaught (Every Breath You Take) thinking it'd be a nice suspense, but I'm about 3/4 in and we're juuuuust starting to get to the murder story. Ugh. Disappointing.
Storms and Sins...I've read most of Judith McNaught's books and Every Breath You Take is own of her slowest and dullest books. You might want to try Perfect (a lot of suspense), Paradise (my favorite, I love Meredith and Matt) or Some to Watch Over Me (murder case). All three of those books are slightly connected. Whitney, My Love (her first novel is great) along with A Kingdom of Dreams and Something Wonderful which are all set in the past, but are great.

LisK
06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
LISSSSSSSSS....:th_nod:
YOU already have one of these, you silly girl.
As a matter of fact, so do I.
I think THAT our MEN are very lucky, indeed!

Yeah, I've got one. Alpha to the max!!!
And yes, our men are VERRA lucky indeed!

squarepegroundhole
06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
I need a man who is in control:60:

Justary
06-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I need a man who is in control:60:

Jesus!, I just need a man!

LOL!!!!

azure
06-11-2008, 11:59 PM
It depends on my mood. At times I like the tough dominant male who finally lets love in like early Judith McNaught, Jude Deveraux, Johanna Lindsey or Brenda Joyce; then at times I like feisty take no crap women like KMM, Sandra Hill, Bertrice Small. Other times it's supernatural mystery/love/suspense.

Alex Holbrook
06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Jesus!, I just need a man!

LOL!!!!

Amen, sister!