PDA

View Full Version : Mom Was In A Wreck

Achaius
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
My Mom loves lawn care. She has the ride on lawn mower with all the attachments and spends a huge amount of time outside.

I went to her house today and heard the hum of the lawnmower. I saw she had left a basket of clothes out, so I started a load of laundry for her and then went to check on the puppy.

After a few minutes I just had this horrible feeling that something had happened, so I ran out on the porch and I see that Mom's riding lawnmower has fallen onto its side and she is pinned beneath it.

I grabbed my brother and we ran down there and killed the engine and tried to pull her out. When we got close enough to touch her she just looked at me and said "I think I got it."

I thought she was delusional. My brother had no idea what she meant either, so we pulled her out and flipped the lawnmower back over. She sits on the ground for maybe two minutes and then starts flipping and jumping around like she's having a seizure.

We just kind of looked at her and after a minute she laid back in the grass and said "I know I got it that time."

When she was able to talk again, we found out that she had driven into a spider web and the spider was crawling over her shoulder and she couldn't swat it off. Her yard is a steep incline and she had managed to rock the lawnmower enough to flip it over trying to get away from the spider.

I didn't know where to scream at her or laugh my arse off. I settled for a hug and making her give up the lawn mowing for another day until my nerves settled.

That is the first wreck by lawn mower I have ever witnessed.

Conoga
07-17-2008, 05:56 PM
oh man.... that could have been sooooooooo bad!!!
i would have thumped my mother! she nearly wrecked us in midday traffic because a little green spider! on the OUTSIDE of the glass! a guy in a uniform in the parking lot she slammed into was laughing his butt off!

another time i was riding horses with a friend.. we were in the woods, going down a narrow trail, had the dogs with us too... she went ahead of me with her horse, a little ways out of sight around a bend... then i hear screaming crashing yelping, shouting.. my thoughts were "feral dogs are attacking!" .. then she came crashing back to me screaming and flapping her arms.. so then i thought "BEES!" ... then she pulls her horse up beside mine and says "DO YOU SEE IT?!!?!?"
see what?? i dont see any bees!
Not BEES!! its a BANANA SPIDER!!! ITS ON MY HORSE!!
"So what? its a banana spider, it'll fall off and walk away... kinda.. they cant really walk on anything but their web"
"NO ITS DEADLY POISONOUS!! MY MOM SAID SO!!"

rolling my eyes looked around her and her horse... no spider.. bit of web.....

i informed her banana spiders, while big and ugly are not deadly unless you act like a freak and kill yourself on a horse..... but she believed her mom... dont know where she got her info.. but it very nearly got us all hurt!!

ETA i'm glad your mom is ok though! i hate that you nearly had a heart attack over a spider. maybe next time she should install one of those web catchers people put on 4-wheelers?

Anita
07-17-2008, 06:56 PM
glad that is wasn't anything horrible.

melissa
07-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the wreck - can't say as I have ever witnessed a "wreck by lawnmower" either - but glad to hear she is okay.

Lana
07-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Hailey, I gotta say, that is pretty funny! Just thank god that she wasn't hurt!

Vicki
07-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank goodness she's ok. I understand about the spider tho...I hate spiders :arghhh:

kentspumpkin
07-17-2008, 08:30 PM
wow i would have totally freaked. i am so glad she was ok.

Jewelstir
07-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Sounds like she had a lucky fall. You have to be careful with the blades running...especially if the darn thing tips over! Glad she's OK.

And Blue - spider webs are the joy of being FIRST on a trail ride - that's why I always try to ride second! :th_nod:

Conoga
07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Sounds like she had a lucky fall. You have to be careful with the blades running...especially if the darn thing tips over! Glad she's OK.

And Blue - spider webs are the joy of being FIRST on a trail ride - that's why I always try to ride second! :th_nod:

lol Jewel i agree but it was HER idea to ride down that trail! i wanted to stick to the open fields!

LisK
07-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Hailey, glad to hear Mom's okay!!! What a scare!! It could have been so much worse, but she is fine and that's what counts!

Christina
07-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Once you know everything is ok, the story is kinda funny. glad to hear that everything is ok.

squarepegroundhole
07-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Good thing you showed up, or it could have been a lot worse! Amazing that she would tip the lawnmower over just to get away from a spider! It's funny, and it's not! LOL

mommaj
07-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Glad she wasn't hurt Achaius!! It becomes every parents jobs to scare their kids to death as we get older!!!

Pyxie
07-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm glad to hear you mom is ok! I have to smile at this because my daughter tells me I would probably try to jump out of the car I was driving down a highway at 80mph. I hate spiders!!! So I understand where your mom is coming from! Itmust have been terrifing seeing her like that, though. Glad she is ok! :-)

susan h
07-17-2008, 09:55 PM
The picture I have in my mind is kind of funny. I'm glad she wasn't hurt.

Cheryle
07-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Man I thought that was going to turn out much worse then it did. Thank goodness she was not injured badly. I hope that spider paid for the wreck!

Meche
07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Im glad she wasnt hurt! I wouldve freaked about a spider web on me as well!

Achaius
07-17-2008, 10:34 PM
The picture I have in my mind is kind of funny. I'm glad she wasn't hurt.

Well now that it's over it was pretty funny to see her laying on her side with her mower wheels spinning. I can't believe all that drama over a spider.

Shhhh don't tell but I jumped out of the car at an intersection to get away from a bee. Maybe it's hereditary?

dawnab19
07-18-2008, 12:44 AM
wow oh wow I understand dont know whether to laugh or to be scared there. wow just wow

tempest
07-18-2008, 12:53 AM
Wow, Hailey, that was scary!!! I'm glad you're mom's ok and you didn't have a heart attack!!! :shocked:

Apryl
07-18-2008, 08:38 AM
OMG!! I would probably KILL my mom if she scared me like that. I am glad that she is okay. But I still think you need to wack her on the back of the head for doing that to you.

christa3
07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
OMG! It's a good thing you were there! Lawn mowers scare me, my dad lost 3 of his fingers about 10 years ago, it was nasty. ON a funny note, a girl I worked with stopped in the middle of a busy intersection because a CROW had flown in her open window and was settled on the passenger seat! I almost peed my pants on that one.
Glad you're mom is okay!

Maria
07-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Your mom was very lucky that you and your brother were there, silly spider.:nah:

MelanieD
07-18-2008, 01:45 PM
If it wasn't for the spiders in that story it would be quite funny - I'm with your Mum - I'd do pretty much anything to get away from a spider! Nothing funny about spiders! YUK