+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Biblical Allusions

GREAT thread VP!

I thought the same thing with the spear...i definitely thought it was a reference to that!

Thanks for pointing out the rest, those didn't cross my mind.

I Ship: Jack/Kate, Juliet/Sawyer, Buffy/Angel, Mac/Barrons

http://twitter.com/LostFate
    Twilight nut. Moning maniac.

Default oppinion first...reading later!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Princess View Post
    there was a statement, lin i think, quoted from FF that when mac says driving a hot car was like hot sex, and her last boyfriend wasn't very satisfying or something. I don't think she was. But if she was...she isn't anymore.
    after what happened I really hope she wasn't, for some reason in my mind being raped as a virgin would be like 10 times worse becuase that would be all you knew of sex...KMM is definity being pretty vague on the virgin thing and she has tricked me before (I just read BTHM and was totally shocked that Adrianne was a virgin)

As far as biblical references go IMO they are related to the fact that Christianity (especially in Scotland and Ireland) took an if-you-can't-beat'em-rename-everything-and-pretend-it-was-your-idea-the-whole-time approach (which i totally stole from Mac!) that part of the book made me laugh a lot because it is so true! right down to the christan calender which was written by a converted druid preist to help his people cope with the change from pagan to christain culture.

As for the bleeding tears, while that does have a ton of religous signifiance I am pretty sure there is a medical reason too, something to do with brain anyorisms (no way I can spell that right) and the overload of power tearing blood vessels in the brain, so I kinda thought that the crying tears of blood was related to Mac finding that special place in her head that will allow her to defy Darocc and save herself!

At least these are my hopes and oppinions, still haven't finished re-reading the book, am begining to think there is more trauma associtated with it then I am willing to admit so am hiding in happy KMM novels until I am ready to read the end

5. Mac cried tears of blood. I am not exactly sure what this is alluding to. I remember some debated about a Virgin Mary statue that had blood tears some time ago, but if it is in regards to something biblical I am not sure. I thought it was GREAT imagery for the scene. but...yeah

feel free to add to this I just wanted to toss it out there since it was in my head hehehe

When you 'shed' blood tears or otherwise it is because you are ind extreme emotional or physical stress. IE: Christ in the Garden before He was crucified. And in my own personal life. There was a time when I had a window smash down on my hand and my finger was caught in between the window sash and the window frame. I literally bled through the pores of my finger and my fingertip was FLAT like a paper. I went into immediate shock. When it came back to normal I really thought all the bones were powder. Anyway I went ot the Dr and he said that it must have been really bad because when you bleed through your pores the pain is extreme. My finger is fine now, thank heavens!!.

Anyway just wanted to shed a different perspective on the whole crying tears of blood thing. To me it meant that Mac was in extreme emotional/physical pain even though part of her "wanted " it. Deep down it was causing her tremendous pain and sorrow,hence the tears of blood.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by meabh; 09-29-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typos
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

From the book:

When the tip was a mere quarter inch from my skin, I tried to fling the spear away, hoping I could, and they’d just forget about it. My release mechanism worked as my override had not—a thing that would make sense to me one day—and the spear clattered across the floor, through the door into the chapel. It crashed into the base of the pedestal of holy water with such impact that water sloshed over the side, and hissed and steamed when it hit the spear.

now, there is a couple of questions, I know it is a bit off topic, but someone say something before the spear and the holy water, this is something to puzzle me a lot (it is in fact one question I want to Ask Karen one day), why the holy water will hiss and steam when it hit the spear???, it is just because of all the unseelie blood in it?, it will be then Holy water some kind of weapon against the unseelie?,

and of course the coment Mac say "My release mechanism worked as my override had not—a thing that would make sense to me one day—",... so, no override but yes

Quote Originally Posted by Nala147 View Post
    and of course the coment Mac say "My release mechanism worked as my override had not—a thing that would make sense to me one day—",... so, no override but yes
    This puzzled me also. Could be Mac has to stop fighting against it and just let go???
    "Sometimes, Ms. Lane, one must break with one's past to embrace one's future." Jericho Barrons, DF

Some say Blood is a symbol of sacrifice, deep emotional pain or suffering?

Isn't tears of blood stigmatic?

Default Tears of Blood

In Bloodfever Mac thinks she cries tears of blood (p.169 of the paperback version) when she thinks of V'lane. Since Mac's crying tears of blood during her awful attack, does Mac associate the attack of rape and her feelings to V'lane? Does V'lane play some part in Mac's attack? The body reacts to exteme emotions like I get migraines when I feel strong negative emotions. So are the bloody tears she cries her body's way of remembering betrayal? Christ suffered in Gethsemane and felt such agony that his body sweated blood instead of sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinseacow View Post
    In Bloodfever Mac thinks she cries tears of blood (p.169 of the paperback version) when she thinks of V'lane. Since Mac's crying tears of blood during her awful attack, does Mac associate the attack of rape and her feelings to V'lane? Does V'lane play some part in Mac's attack? The body reacts to exteme emotions like I get migraines when I feel strong negative emotions. So are the bloody tears she cries her body's way of remembering betrayal? Christ suffered in Gethsemane and felt such agony that his body sweated blood instead of sweat.
    Interesting...

I forgot about that in BF. *grabs book to read it again*

I'm sure though that Mac doesn't associate such fear with V'lane as she does with the Unseelie.

yes the last scene was in a church! that had me freaking out more!

Adam. I forgot about him. I always picture him being Adam as signifying the first, maybe not the first human, but the first fae to wish to be human. (which means if he is the first others will follow)

Darroc: a "fallen" fae. as in fallen angel....? and then Mac jokes that V'lane is the angel that fell when Dani says he looks like an angel.

It makes me think....Didn't V'lane say Aoibheal decided to do the compact when humans learned to speak? So the Sidhe-seers would be the ones to share the lore, Rowena said that the sidhe-seers were once the lawgivers and everyone looked up to them. Taken what they know of the Seelie, we get our angels. The hunters became the image for satan, even though the Unseelie King (who created the unseelie, demons) would reside in his hellish prison. The 4 Unseelie princes became the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse becuase they were prophecised to be free one day.....

I knew someone would know something! LOL thanks!!!
    VP you just rock
    right on

+ Reply to Thread