+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Working holiday/vacation for Americans?

Default Working holiday/vacation for Americans?

Are there any?
    I found a site that said there are only a few destinations offered to Americans; Australia and New Zealand. Those two places are nice but I was hoping for other places.

I think we (Americans) get jibbed when it comes to good stuff like this.

I heard about it from a friend in Scotland. He had mentioned wanting to do this since he recently graduated college.

There are working volunteer programs overseas that sound great too but with the economy in a fritz right now, I was thinking a working holiday might be better. I'd at least be making some spending money and not draining my checking account.

I'm looking for abroad stuff because that's where I want to go, overseas.

Deus nobiscum quis contra Conoga's Avatar

you mean going over seas to work?
    if so, a friend of mine became an au pair (live in baby sitter/nanny if no one knows what that is)
    she was in France i think.... or maybe her employers were French.. that was six years ago.

Yeah, it's something like that. Basically you're going on vacation but hold up a part time job overseas while you're at it to make money. Of course you need a working visas for it and it seems like only a few countries are offered to Americans.

at the time my friend was doing that i was interested in doing the same. i had a few contacts in the UK, one was way the hell up in the tippy top end of Scotland, the other in a chocolate shop in London, and the other worked at a hotel in some other part of England. i never did go.... i only got as far as my passport.... then i met my DH.
    i still know one of those contacts if you'd like me to get some info for you?

Oh, that would great!

Cleveland Hottie ;) Sassy Lassie's Avatar

This sounds verra verra interesting...hmmmmmm. I wonder where ya can look up the kind of stuff like that....

Siggy by the fabulously talented Bugsy!!
    Maniac #2574

ok here's her email response
    i will see what i can find out- i do know most things like that arent an option anymore since 911---its worldwide organic farmers who take in workers that want to learn more about organic farming etc---WorldWide Opportunities on Organic Farms - USA (WWOOF - USA)
    but i will go back thru files and links- i know there are still some options adn i just heard recently about another but havent checked it out yet- will keep intouch!

that would be right up my ally just like it was then because i'm interested in agriculture and the science of growing things.
    It may not be suited to your interests if you dont like getting dirty or working with animals lol
    still if your goal is to go over seas and work for a little while, this is still an option.

WWOOF in other countries http://www.wwoofusa.org/otherwoofs.html

Thanks Blue!
    I like animals and my parents have always been the type to grow pretty much everything, so farming won't be too bad. If I can handle going offshore with my parents (they use to be fishermen...er...fisher people?), I think I can handle farming.

Plus I think I'd much rather do that then work in a cafe/resturant, hehe strange I know.

Cleveland Hottie ;) Sassy Lassie's Avatar

Here is a website I found while doing homework:

http://www.jobsabroad.com/search.cfm

strange that you find things like this doing homework...

there were 'aupair' jobs in Scotland/Ireland & hospitality (workin in hotels) jobs as well.

there's also an internship site & study abroad site that is like the above site if anyone is interested!

Thanks Sassy! :)

Hotels might be better suited for me then being a nanny. I'm not so great with the kids, don't know how to communicate with them.

+ Reply to Thread