> > >

Thread: Berserker origin

Maniac

Default Berserker origin

I posted this question last night in regards to the origin of the Berserkers and asked why Karen uses this warrior in Scotland as it is clearly a Scandavian term and myth. I would like to apologize for saying that this is an inaccuracy on her part. But would still like to know why she uses the Norwegian Warrior in faraway Scotland?

In the Begining of the Highlande novels she clearly says The Norse Leged,....Beserkers... but I think maybe she feels they may have come across some Virile scots and bred them in... I would like Some Gavrael Roderick Icarus Milloch... in side.... of this not scot. but Charmin kind of Girl...

Was that a Double ENtedere... lol.

It says in one of the Highlander books, that Adam bestowed the power of Berserk on the Milloch after riding with them. Don't have my books close by though to tell you which one.

I thought Karen wrote about Beserkers as a Norse legend in Scotland as there's always been the connection between the Scots (and the rest of Britain) to the Norse people and legends. I really don't remember the dates or anything, but in our history there were Viking raids and now some of us have a bit of diluted Viking blood in us, lol.

One of my school trips was to visit Vikingar! in Largs (on the West Coast), where they told us about the battles in Scotland - I don't really remember much of the day out as I was 10, but I remember some of the class got to try on chainmail!

Also, the town of Lerwick (Shetland) celebrates "Up Helly Aa"

For 24 hours, on the last Tuesday of January, the town of Lerwick goes more than a little mad.

"There will be no postponement for weather". That's a defiant boast by Shetland's biggest fire festival, considering it's held in mid-winter on the same latitude as southern Greenland. But it's true: gales, sleet and snow have never yet stopped the Up Helly Aa guizers of Lerwick from burning their Viking galley - and then dancing the dawn away.
    For more info go to: http://www.visitshetland.com/major-events/up-helly-aa

Yay, Alana! I was just about to make a post about how Vikings are a huge part of ancient culture of the British Isles, but you beat me to it!

KJ

Maniac

Smile Viking Warriors rule!

Thanks to all of you that wrote back about the Viking Warrior link in Karen's books. Being from Minnesota and Norwegian to boot I am very proud of my heritage!
    Thanks again,
    Penny

Well I'm glad my post was helpful! :)

Alba gu brath!! Morgain_the_Fay's Avatar

The "Norse-Men" attackt England and Scotland (and parts Irland) in wave from 400-1100. Some cities are create by the vikings