So this thread was inspired in chat earlier Some I noticed seem to either hate Barrons or dislike him.
Before I say anymore though, I want to point out that this thread is NOT against V'lane, Darroc, Christian, and Ryodan and their fans! I respect everyones love for their man! I'm not comparing or saying one is better than the other or trying to sell ppl to join the Barrons Bandwagon.
This thread is about enlightening others (specifically those who dislike Barrons) why he shouldn't be so hated. If you end up still hating him, well that's fine. If you end up saying "ok, I don't hate him, but I'm still not on his bandwagon" that's fine too! I just want all those Jericho haters to hear me out for a sec!
Before I get into the why, I want to let you know to feel free to disagree (and state why) or support me (and add your reasons why)
So here it goes:
I want to tackle the reasons I've heard ppl say they hate Barrons.
1) have not the MacKeltars and other KMM heros not been the same??? if you ask me, even though they are controlling, their mates/wives/Mac seems to get their way nevertheless, b/c first and foremost, they respect their wives, see them as equals and just want to please them.
2) ever heard of tough love??? I believe that he wants to see Mac grow, become a strong, independent woman. She can't do that if she always has someone around to clean up her life. He's also teaching her some really hard lessons about life. What better way to learn those lessons then through tough love? Learning them out there on your own w/ no guidance can have some VERY devastating effects. Not to mention 20x more painful than tough love. Key word is LOVE there.
3) He's a tortured soul. My point? After going through sooooo much grief (and he states that he has) he has a fortress stronger than Fort Knox around his heart and has detached himself from emotion. He is going to come off as hard, tough love wld be his style, and may even seem inhuman for his detachment. Anyone who's been through much, as I have, will understand that, no questions asked. (sidenote: granted some of you are not big fans of tortured souls--they are hard to deal with and handle so that's understandable but this is not the issue)
4) speaking of his Fort Knox. IMO, Mac seems to be the only one getting through it. Which can help explain some of his reactions and loss of control (like the cake incident. my take? when she called him and he told her that he was not that kind of man for her to waiting on and stuff, i think he really wanted to be that man for her but knew he could not. then she mentioned the cake, and i think he actually felt bad, so he came back. But after seeing the cake and basically how she tried to humanize him (at this pt, he knows mac knows he is at least a hundred some yrs old) I think it reminded him that not only can he not be that man for her, but that he couldn't be w/ her b/c of whatever he is--he believes he's underserving of all that--this makes him angry and hurt, thus his lashing out)
5) To be honest, I believe that Mac actually get the best of part of him. Something tells me his 'relationship' w/ Fiona was sexual and business. No feelings for her on his part. Macs cracking his shell and getting him to the point of emotions.
6) did KMM not state in her Highlander series that mates would resist every step of the way??? To me, that's exactly what Barrons is trying to do. Resist. B/c of his own insecurities (much like other heros we know). And he'll hold on to any excuse that will support why he can't be w/ her and keep his distance from her
7) i believe that Barrons has already fallen for her. Observe:
He actually cried Correction: he does not cry but is in an extreme emotional state! thanks Hazee when Malluce pretty much beat her to death and he said that he wld have never wished this for her. He also told her that he didn't NEED an OOP decter, that though it's helpful, he was doing fine on his own and wld continue to do so. Read?? There was more to the reason why he keeps saving her life (and actually getting emotional when something happens to her).
8) did not KMM say that she had to change Grimm and his story b/c he was too Alpha? (meaning too possesive, dominating etc). To me, Barrons is an Alpha male, and now that KMM has a good foothold in the door, she has more freedom w/ her stories and characters. I don't think she's holding back with Barrons at all
9)Being a victim of both verbal and physical abuse at one point, it's easy to see only those things in Barrons and nothing else. But if one opened their eyes a little wider, took a deeper look, and was open to see things they didn't want to see....One would see that that there's a lot more to what's behind Barrons' actions (then again, I've also had plenty of time to truly heal and I think a lot about life, philosophy, and psychology so I cld be bias) than what meets the eye
On a much lighter note: it helps he his gorgeous and sexy and dangerous and loves cars and he's RICH and strong (inside and out!) he's also very wise, has personality and is very deep and down to earth. he has that sexy carnality about him and is incredibly powerful (KMM is really bringing us back to our primitive/traditional state here a bit) he also seems so intelligent he's genius!!!!
Thanks for hearing me out!
EDIT: Wildernessgirl posted this in another thread:
I love the quote from Faefever where Mac says something like when she listens to her heart rather than her head she knows she can trust Jericho and that there is difference between someone who has done bad things and someone who is evil. The one who does bad things sometimes can be redeemed or change or make the right decision but not the other one. I think this say's quite a bit and Karen is telling us that Jericho can be trusted.
I fell in love w/ this chick after that post. She impressed me with other stuff, but this tops it. yup.
ANOTHER EDIT: How can one accept him/love him/have him at his best, if they can't accept him at his worst???
ANOTHER EDIT: had to add this b/c it's such an excellent point. From BonteFan
Click Here for the post that responds to those of you that think this is just a theory and guessing.
Click here for a QUICK post comparing him to the highlander heroes