> > >
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Why you shouldn't hate JZB

Icon20 Why you shouldn't hate JZB

So this thread was inspired in chat earlier Some I noticed seem to either hate Barrons or dislike him.
    Before I say anymore though, I want to point out that this thread is NOT against V'lane, Darroc, Christian, and Ryodan and their fans! I respect everyones love for their man! I'm not comparing or saying one is better than the other or trying to sell ppl to join the Barrons Bandwagon.
    This thread is about enlightening others (specifically those who dislike Barrons) why he shouldn't be so hated. If you end up still hating him, well that's fine. If you end up saying "ok, I don't hate him, but I'm still not on his bandwagon" that's fine too! I just want all those Jericho haters to hear me out for a sec!
    Before I get into the why, I want to let you know to feel free to disagree (and state why) or support me (and add your reasons why)
    So here it goes:
    I want to tackle the reasons I've heard ppl say they hate Barrons.
    To Controlling
    1) have not the MacKeltars and other KMM heros not been the same??? if you ask me, even though they are controlling, their mates/wives/Mac seems to get their way nevertheless, b/c first and foremost, they respect their wives, see them as equals and just want to please them.
    he's mean
    2) ever heard of tough love??? I believe that he wants to see Mac grow, become a strong, independent woman. She can't do that if she always has someone around to clean up her life. He's also teaching her some really hard lessons about life. What better way to learn those lessons then through tough love? Learning them out there on your own w/ no guidance can have some VERY devastating effects. Not to mention 20x more painful than tough love. Key word is LOVE there.
    3) He's a tortured soul. My point? After going through sooooo much grief (and he states that he has) he has a fortress stronger than Fort Knox around his heart and has detached himself from emotion. He is going to come off as hard, tough love wld be his style, and may even seem inhuman for his detachment. Anyone who's been through much, as I have, will understand that, no questions asked. (sidenote: granted some of you are not big fans of tortured souls--they are hard to deal with and handle so that's understandable but this is not the issue)
    4) speaking of his Fort Knox. IMO, Mac seems to be the only one getting through it. Which can help explain some of his reactions and loss of control (like the cake incident. my take? when she called him and he told her that he was not that kind of man for her to waiting on and stuff, i think he really wanted to be that man for her but knew he could not. then she mentioned the cake, and i think he actually felt bad, so he came back. But after seeing the cake and basically how she tried to humanize him (at this pt, he knows mac knows he is at least a hundred some yrs old) I think it reminded him that not only can he not be that man for her, but that he couldn't be w/ her b/c of whatever he is--he believes he's underserving of all that--this makes him angry and hurt, thus his lashing out)
    some misc.
    5) To be honest, I believe that Mac actually get the best of part of him. Something tells me his 'relationship' w/ Fiona was sexual and business. No feelings for her on his part. Macs cracking his shell and getting him to the point of emotions.
    6) did KMM not state in her Highlander series that mates would resist every step of the way??? To me, that's exactly what Barrons is trying to do. Resist. B/c of his own insecurities (much like other heros we know). And he'll hold on to any excuse that will support why he can't be w/ her and keep his distance from her
    7) i believe that Barrons has already fallen for her. Observe:
    He actually cried Correction: he does not cry but is in an extreme emotional state! thanks Hazee when Malluce pretty much beat her to death and he said that he wld have never wished this for her. He also told her that he didn't NEED an OOP decter, that though it's helpful, he was doing fine on his own and wld continue to do so. Read?? There was more to the reason why he keeps saving her life (and actually getting emotional when something happens to her).
    8) did not KMM say that she had to change Grimm and his story b/c he was too Alpha? (meaning too possesive, dominating etc). To me, Barrons is an Alpha male, and now that KMM has a good foothold in the door, she has more freedom w/ her stories and characters. I don't think she's holding back with Barrons at all
    9)Being a victim of both verbal and physical abuse at one point, it's easy to see only those things in Barrons and nothing else. But if one opened their eyes a little wider, took a deeper look, and was open to see things they didn't want to see....One would see that that there's a lot more to what's behind Barrons' actions (then again, I've also had plenty of time to truly heal and I think a lot about life, philosophy, and psychology so I cld be bias) than what meets the eye

On a much lighter note: it helps he his gorgeous and sexy and dangerous and loves cars and he's RICH and strong (inside and out!) he's also very wise, has personality and is very deep and down to earth. he has that sexy carnality about him and is incredibly powerful (KMM is really bringing us back to our primitive/traditional state here a bit) he also seems so intelligent he's genius!!!!

Thanks for hearing me out!

EDIT: Wildernessgirl posted this in another thread:
    I love the quote from Faefever where Mac says something like when she listens to her heart rather than her head she knows she can trust Jericho and that there is difference between someone who has done bad things and someone who is evil. The one who does bad things sometimes can be redeemed or change or make the right decision but not the other one. I think this say's quite a bit and Karen is telling us that Jericho can be trusted.

I fell in love w/ this chick after that post. She impressed me with other stuff, but this tops it. yup.

ANOTHER EDIT: How can one accept him/love him/have him at his best, if they can't accept him at his worst???

ANOTHER EDIT: had to add this b/c it's such an excellent point. From BonteFan
    Quote Originally Posted by BronteFan View Post
    I've never had an issue about the way Barrons handles Mac. I try to remember that the characters are not human (well not completely). There is a war going on and Mac is being made stronger for her own benefit as well those who need her. If the books were about normal couple, I could view what happens between them as an abusive relationship, but I simply can't when nothing is quite real here.
    AND ANOTHER EDIT:
    Click Here for the post that responds to those of you that think this is just a theory and guessing.
    Click here for a QUICK post comparing him to the highlander heroes
    Last edited by Mercedes Veronica; 12-20-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Removed members name

by VP--she freakin rocks!

Maniac Housekeeper of 3Bs Sky28's Avatar

Very good, Miss Mac!

Maniac

I absolutly loved Barrons Character! Hi is what is he is and you take it or leave it! Its either you love him or hate him! That is what makes his character so great! At first i thought what an arrogant a**! As the story continued on and he truly was there for Mac, in every way.

In todays world maybe in some ways..this is what women want in a man! His honesty and passion! that is just my opinion!!! I know i am hooked on Barrons!!! In some ways i want to know more about his past..but then i think I like the not knowing and accept him for what and who he is! and the fact he is COMPLETELY SEXY!! hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Deewrites View Post
    I absolutly loved Barrons Character! Hi is what is he is and you take it or leave it! Its either you love him or hate him! That is what makes his character so great! At first i thought what an arrogant a**! As the story continued on and he truly was there for Mac, in every way.

In todays world maybe in some ways..this is what women want in a man! His honesty and passion! that is just my opinion!!! I know i am hooked on Barrons!!! In some ways i want to know more about his past..but then i think I like the not knowing and accept him for what and who he is! and the fact he is COMPLETELY SEXY!! hehehe

Heh. This is why we all adore Jericho Barrons.
    Because, realistically, even though we know he's bad for us...the thought is so good ;)

Maniac

yeah

Maniac

I know that I am replying to an old post. There are men out there like the Barrons Character, I know; I have dated/loved/been loved by them. What sets the character apart from the reality is the lack of obvious flaws. Too many men of that type cannot cope with the consequences of their actions and allow negative habits or addictions to hide the emotions they fear. I was cursed with an "interesting life", and have had all but the most primal of fears conquered by adversity. But there is a price to such strength, men now admit to me that they are afraid of me in any situation other than platonic friendship. All but the strongest women just stay away, and the few that have come close are sisters indeed. Having raised a son, I know it is important to imbue in our sons the ideals and concepts that we would want in men for the next generation. Such as; Never start a fight but ALWAYS finish it, Don't be afraid to cry but don't blubber, Love with all you have but rarely, Know thyself and face thy fears, Protect those you love with ALL you are no matter what, and Defend the weak, Face the strong, and show Evil NO MERCY. It is not easy in this P.C. age, but it can be done. Remember Kids are baby goats, you are raising Future Adults.

I also wonder if part of the lack of men like we are looking for is our modern age. The dangers that our forefathers/mothers faced in daily life are now rare except in 3rd world countries. Survival was based on the fittest not just physically but also mentally not more than 150 years ago. We now call those who choose lifestyles which involve risk as abnormal. The men I have known either had very dangerous habits or lived in social worlds where only the strongest minds survived. I miss them, since eventually they all have found partners to settle down with, and a woman who is a challenge a docile wife does not make. Thus I love KMM's male characters, and ladies, you know YOU have done good when you have to remind them to breathe after they come, and vice versa.
    A person is not defined by their strengths, but by the way they accept and deal with their weaknesses.

Wow, over 34,000 views and this thread was revived in 2012 and 2013. Lol.

What can I say? I'm JZB's #1 defender. I'm STILL obsessed with him.

I am curious about the other 8 and christian. But no one will top JZB in my book. I don't want Ryo and his romance to top Mac & Barrons. I want Ryo's to be good and all. And different. But not top JZB/Mac. Know what I mean??

It's funny going back, seeing my theories on him several books ago, and now knowing & understanding stuff from many books later...... I was pretty good with some of my stuff/theories. *toot toot* lol

Seriously can NOT wait for more Mac & Barrons. I NEED more Mac & Barrons!