> > >
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Who or what is JZB?

Maniac

Default Who or what is JZB?

I think Barrons is Draghar... not only Draghar Druid trained, but all or part Draghar.

Just as KMM used Norse legend for Berserkers, I think she again was inspired by Norse in creating her Draghar, using both of these as sources:

1. Draugr: Old Norse for "dragon", a winged serpent.
    2. Draugr (plural Draugar: Undead creature in Norse mythology.
    a. Literally means "spirit who guards the burial mound (barrow) of a king", jealously guards treasures; the body, not just soul, of the dead;, does not decompose/corrupt; contains alter ego of deceased, his representative, retains his character, i.e. if good/kind in life, remains so as draugr in pre-Christian belief (from Viktor Rydberg's "Teutonic Mythology" p.742) *
    b. Able to leave dwelling place (barrow) and visit the living during the night, often ending in death of one or more living creatures.
    c. Can increase their size at will, size being an expression of its vast strength.
    d. Immune to usual weapons, can only be defeated by Hero in hand-to-hand combat; almost impossible to kill, may come back (likens it to vampires in legend).
    e. Move magically through earth, swims through solid stone.
    f. At times, exhibit powers of a magical nature, possess knowledge of the future, can control weather, shape-shift.
    g. Believed to long for the things of life, envy those yet alive.

http://knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclop...uropean_dragon
    * Rydberg link too long. Google "draugr thrainn"; link starts with http://nsl-archiv.com/Buecher... ; enter "draugr" in in-site search
    http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ghosts.shtml
    http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Draugr
    http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/trows/draugr.htm
    http://economicexpert.com/a/Draugr.html

All traits listed above tie to Barrons in some way:
    1. Serpent/snake references to JB by Mac, winged serpent tattoo on Draghar Druids/followers (DH), Druids using dark magic.
    2a. JB guards treasures (relics) and treasures his belongings (Persian rug).
    b. Usually out at night, often returns with blood on him.
    c. Mac frequently mentions his taking up more space than he should.
    d. JB's speeches re killing man who broke him "with my bare hands", and about difficulty of killing vampires, other creatures "impossible to kill" (DF).
    e. At O'Bannion's vault door (DF) JB's "I'm a good swimmer" could hint at swimming through walls, not only water; says he could "continue swimmingly" without her; he defies laws of physics.
    f. JB's "I know everything" statement implies he's training/preparing Mac for future he knows she must face; fog is weather control; his sudden appearances defy laws of physics.
    g. JB's reaction to birthday cake, his reactions to blood, interest in Mac's neck (though that could be plain lust) all could indicate envy of the living.

February's Teaser, "I was mighty.. They didn't recognize me.. I would remind them": Draghar were destroyed, some Druids scatterred, but Fae Court may not know Draghar had learned secrets of draugr-immortality. Or this scene took place long, long ago and JB was not recognized as threat (his powers not stolen). He could have been one of the Druids who were scattered and turned Draghar/draugr later; or he was rescued by 'V'lane's Princess'; or JB is Draghar/human hybrid.

JB's curse may be his immortality (degree of undead?). I agree with whoever suggested JB could be long-dead Keltar, either forgotten or stricken from family records as Cian was -- another reason to feel cursed -- all Draghar were considered 'damned'. Several phrases from Keltar couples reappear between JB+Mac, and it would make a tidy wrap-up to the combined series.

So, putting all my eggs in this basket, my theory is:
    1. Barrons is Draghar.
    a. Exact connection to draugr (dragon/undead) unknown yet, but exists.
    b. Draghar gained immortality, with unfortunate side-effects of undeadness.
    2. Barrons is guarding the barrow of royalty (King or Queen) and royal treasures (Fae relics).
    a. BBB is the bastion(projecting part of a fortification or stronghold) over the barrow and vault.
    3. Barrons, one of "the ancient ones", has returned to reclaim what TDD had stolen from them -- maybe powers, but also Druids' good name, right to exist.
    a. With Fae rulers incapacitated, balance of power has shifted, so "might makes right" is truer than ever. Long ago, Fae had the 'might' -- now, maybe not. This also explains the enmity between JB and V'lane: Draghar vs. Fae.
    b. Mac is at fulcrum of at least 3-way power struggle. Mac is epic, a powerful weapon.
    c. Source and extent of her abilities is unknown to her and us, not so unknown to JB and V'lane. (Known to LM? Rowena?) No wonder they all want to harness her powers to increase their faction's 'might'.
    4. Barrons kills when necessary, out of mercy and with honor.
    5. Barrons says he will never let Mac die. If she dies or is too near death to recover, JB will turn her Draghar/draugr as he is -- maybe not the HEA the way we wanted, but a HEA for Mac+Barrons just the same.
    6. Draghar/draugr are related and superior to Hunters; were betrayed by Hunters when Hunters sided (as mercenaries) with TDD against Draghar long ago.

I could be wrong. But until theory disproved, I see definite connections between Barrons/Draghar/draugr. (Also strong connection between Barrons/Keltars, but that ventures into 'who', not the 'what' addressed here.)
    Comments welcome. (I have chocolate, so am prepared for anything.)
    Last edited by oxymoron; 03-28-2009 at 04:11 PM.

I'm the one with boobs !! analisa's Avatar

Great thoughts, great research, and a lot to think about !!

Thanks for sharing it !!

Beautiful art work by alicexz

Maniac

You made really great points!
    I need to re-read the bloody last book that's for sure.
    Memory of it is still there, but gosh man.

Default Great Research!

This is good stuff. I don't think he's an actual Druid, but I think maybe associated with the original druids and the reason for the compact. The original druids wanted immortality, which caused all the fueding and fussing, and JZB seems to have it. JZB mentions (I think to Ellis in DF) that he's not from the same gene pool. I took that to mean he wasn't born human. Also, because of all the times Mac looks at him and decides he's not human. She may overlook things, but her observations are usually right. And JZB says he knows the underground better than anyone else. It all fits.

Maniac

just a quick not , Ireland is almost always overcast! , just saying but i still really enjoy this theory

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
    In fact, in carefully re-reading V'lane's history lessons to Mac, he sounds as if he's soft-peddling the blame on UK. Sounds to me more lenient than I'd expect to hear from a Seelie prince -- not quite excusing, but down-playing the UK's guilt in the whole ensuing mess. I really like the idea that UK is using V'lane's form/glamour in FF when he's trying to win over Mac. (So sorry I don't remember who first posted this, but .)
    I don't know who started it. But so far the only one powerful enough to be the Dark King is V'lane.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jo* View Post
    1. IF JZB was the UK, he would not need the Sinsar Dubh. He would know what he wrote in his own book.
    Great point! Don't remember reading that before, but there's so much info it's hard to read it all.

I have a hard time thinking JB is the DK. Still waiting to be convinced.

Just thought of this: What if he drank from the cauldron?

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]In a nutshell,
    1. IF JZB was the UK, he would not need the Sinsar Dubh. He would know what he wrote in his own book it was said. Also, the UK being of the Unseelie domain would more than likely be life sucking, cold frost biting...yet when Mac comes in contact with him, it's electric and warmth, the same type of electricity Mac notices within herself when she ate Unseelie flesh. The electric sensation I believe is more fae than just a clue of attraction.
    2. The cuff JZB offers Mac, being of Unseelie quality would also be cold life sucking much like the frame of the Unseelie Mirror Cian MacKeltar was trapped within for 1,133 years, which it wasn't.
    3. Unseelie have been seen in the light of day all over Dublin & the Unseelie Princes are also visible at this time. JZB has never been visible in the light of day, cloud & gloom, maybe but never active in daylight.

Actually, in regards to #1 -- the Unseelie King WOULDN'T know what he wrote in the book because he put all of that knowledge INTO the book. It's outta his head now.

I guess, for me anyway, that means he doesn't have any inkling of that dark knowledge because he didn't WANT the dark knowledge anymore hence the mass exodus of what he knew into the book. My bet is that included the language he wrote it in as well.

In regards to #2 -- the Fae relics change over time. For all we know the Mirrors could have originally been sensed as "warm" when they were first made...especially since the intention of their creation was a result of admiration of another being.

#3 is a big shrug for me. So many details so little time!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by snowstorm View Post
    I don't know who started it. But so far the only one powerful enough to be the Dark King is V'lane.

Great point! Don't remember reading that before, but there's so much info it's hard to read it all.

I have a hard time thinking JB is the DK. Still waiting to be convinced.

Just thought of this: What if he drank from the cauldron?
    I dunno bout this.
    V'Lane says he hasn't touched the cauldron in what?! 100,000 years and he flickers...
    Barrons probably has not touched either I would imagine. I mean with his zoning out at random times, being in two places at once or is it that his powers are waning from not drinking either?!
    Or if JZB's a changling, is the human shell he lives within ready to expire?! Too many darn questions...

unrealistic

WOW!!! THat just throws what i was thinking out the window. You present a solid case my dear!
    Maybe im to wishy washy!!!!!!?
    I can not for the life of me wrap my mind around any of this. One moment it makes sense and I have it all figured out, the next moment, im confused again. Im obsessed with these books. Its killing me not knowing any more than I do. sheeesh!!!!
    Dreamfever hurry up!!!!!
    Is it possible to spontaneously combust from thinking to much?????
    What people think of me does not make me who I am.:

Maniac

Default Half Fae? Offspring of UK?

I love your theory. I've been doing some mythology research lately and he may simply be a Half-fae. Celtic mytholgy states the the Tuatha had relationships with mortals often. Surely, Circeen was not the only offspring from such a mating. That could explain some of his attributes, but not all. Remember, Circeen was able to visit the fae realm (as mentioned in Immortal Highlander). Maybe he is an offspring from the mating of the UK and the mortal he had a relationship with. Just a thought.

Maniac

In a nutshell,
    1. IF JZB was the UK, he would not need the Sinsar Dubh. He would know what he wrote in his own book it was said. Also, the UK being of the Unseelie domain would more than likely be life sucking, cold frost biting...yet when Mac comes in contact with him, it's electric and warmth, the same type of electricity Mac notices within herself when she ate Unseelie flesh. The electric sensation I believe is more fae than just a clue of attraction.
    2. The cuff JZB offers Mac, being of Unseelie quality would also be cold life sucking much like the frame of the Unseelie Mirror Cian MacKeltar was trapped within for 1,133 years, which it wasn't.
    3. Unseelie have been seen in the light of day all over Dublin & the Unseelie Princes are also visible at this time. JZB has never been visible in the light of day, cloud & gloom, maybe but never active in daylight.

So for those three points I would have to say that JZB is not the Unseelie, nor King, nor lower case nor a half bred son.

But this is purely theory upon my part.
    I could be eating alot of CROW when Dreamfever comes out...

"White meat or thigh?!"
    Nuff said...

Thanx for the reply to my query. Although I didn't think that I had suggested that JZB was the UK or a full Unseelie thing, I have to say point well taken on the point of contact w/Mac being warm, not cold. But, could that be because his human half? I have heard mention of him not being seen in the light of day, but I don't recall reading that. However, I only have read DF and BF, so I may be missing out on a whole lot of info. I can also see your point that if he were half Unseelie he would be lifesucking, but again I wonder if the mortal half would stop that or give him ability to control it. I don't know?! I just wish it didn't take so long for books to come out on paperback so that I could just read FF and have a more educated opinion.