> > >
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Lady Lies" total number of chapters/Answered

shameless hussy maniac ScotIrishlass's Avatar

Question The "Lady Lies" total number of chapters/Answered

Hi Karen,

Can you tell us (all your crazy, obsessed, maniac fans) the total number of chapters in "The Lady Lies"? PLEASE!
    YOU THINK YOU HAVE PROBLEMS, I'M IN LOVE WITH A FICTIONAL CHARACTER

Maniac

I would love to see it as a PDF file. I also have no access to ebooks and would hate to miss out on how it all ends!

Karen, all of us just want you to get healthy again...we can wait for anything if it will help you get better...bap
    So many books to read, so little TIME!
    Everyone NEEDS a little MAGIC!!!!!!!!!

Moning Manic #399 , Proud Member of MMPS

Hi Karen,

You are my favorite author, hands down. However you'd like to handle LL is fine with me as I own all your books (and Bloodrush) and would be happy to add little Miss Rafe to my collection.

(The writer in me wouldn't mind reading both the original version and the polished/printed one. It would be a lesson in the art of tweaking a great story into an even better one - it would be interesting and you wouldn't hear any complaints from this corner!!!LOL!)

There is no doubt that your health must take priority and only you know what you're up to doing at the moment and what you see yourself doing after ShadowFever.

Your fans are here - and they aren't going anywhere!!

Lisa

I'd choose #3.

But I admit, I'm a little torn on how you should handle this one for several reasons. I think it all really boils down to why you're providing this in the first place.

TLL is a cute story that's completely the antithesis of what you currently write. It's not even really in the same vein as the Highlander books as it's (so far) strictly a Regency/Historical romance. It's so far from your current writing style and the themes you're working on that I'd bet it's more than a little difficult for you to read, let alone edit and post.

You've said before that if you were to publish it, you'd probably have to tear it down and start over from scratch. Even for someone in good health, that's a ton of work unless you're still really passionate about it AND you think there's a large enough market for it to be worth your time. As someone who lives with an illness much like yours, I know all too well that your available time is severely limited and as such, it's even more extraordinarily valuable than most people will ever understand. There aren't enough usable hours in your week to spend them on something that isn't profitable to either your wallet, your relationships, or your spirit. I know I did a lot of things just because I could when I was healthy; now those are exactly the types of things that get cut from my life because they don't fit into one of those three areas that are truly important.

I also think there's the dilemma that your blog is an advertisement of you and your work; they're currently one of the best marketing tools out there. A new Fever reader who comes across your blog may see the most recent post and wonder what the heck is with this author? You've posted this for your fans who know you well and love you the most, but it's posted in a place where everyone in the world can find it, and I can see where that may really confuse those who've come to your universe through an extremely different genre from that of TLL. At a minimum, I do think you should probably have a disclaimer or caveat of some sort at the beginning of each post for TLL, just so newcomers understand what they're seeing and why it's there.

So, having said all that, here's the opinion that I know will be unpopular: Unless you think you can make enough on it to justify the significant cost to you, I'd actually say make no commitment to even finish posting it unless you're going to outsource at least a portion of the work. And by outsource, I mean to someone providing FREE labor, not having to pay someone an hourly rate to type it all in or give it a light edit. If that's viable, great, we'll love seeing how everything with Rafe plays out, and we don't care that it's not perfect.

But if sending it out to be typed is not an option, then plan to enter it as you can, do as little work on it as you can bear to, and then post it up whenever possible as an fun example of the Karen-that-used-to-be. Don't set a deadline on when you'll have it done! If that means we wait three years to see the end, we wait three years. If it means we never get the end at all, or even another chapter, so be it. You're not going to be happy with yourself if you commit to entering all the remainder immediately after working on SF only to find that you've pushed yourself too hard to meet that goal. We won't feel let down if that happens, but I bet you'll find yourself thinking that way. It's not worth it, we'd rather have you happy!

If you think it will sell well enough to justify the effort, then after your current writing commitment is complete do what needs to be done to edit it to your satisfaction, with the goal of getting it into both print and ebook form. Whether it's something you do yourself or start shopping it around to an established publisher is another decision of time vs. money. But if you're going to put that much of your precious time into it, you should be paid for it.

From my perspective though, I'd rather you put that effort first into SF, and then into the Fever series to come. I suspect from various comments you've made, in your heart you find that work to be ultimately more satisfying than revamping this particular story.

Big hugs. I know how incredibly frustrating it is to not be able to do everything you want due to a stupid chronic illness.

"If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real
    than people with bodies and heartbeats."

--Richard Bach, Illusions

Karen I say take care of yourself first get the rest or whatever it is you need to be strong and healthy. Then when Shadowfevr is finished figure out what you want to do with LL I think the story is great as is by the way I don't have an e reader although I can have books on my phone. I prefer print. I would say my order of preferance would be 3,2,1( your blog, print, e reader) but I would like it however I can get my hands on it to see how it ends.
    Thank you for all the wonderful stories you have given us.

Cian's Big Boobed Babe highlandlove's Avatar

Take Care of yourself first! I say option #3 it allows most of us to access it without having to worry about computers being retarded.

My Beautiful Viking Warrior is not a pretty boy.... he eats them
    Perfection from the one and only Viking Princess

Maniac

Default #3 for me

I also choose option #3.

I like these chapters up on your blog, and I am enjoying the story (although not in the same way that I do the fever series books). But I hope you aren't stressing about it. I would MUCH rather you work on Shadowfever than the Lady Lies. I do not like e-books, and you have always said that you didn't want to do a print version of the book, so that's why I pick number 3.

i also vote for havin u type it our and putting it on ur blog! that 4 me wud b the easiest.

thanks DoberDawn!

lover of all the highlanders and all non human men!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Marie View Post
    I just posted this at my facebook account...
    So make your voice heard either here of via email as so many of you have been doing. Tell me:

1. Do you want me to spend a few weeks when I'm done with Shadowfever, tweaking and polishing it and make it available as an ebook? I can't tell you it would be free. In order to get wide distribution that satisfies the largest number of people, you have to go through a distributer (as I've recently found out trying to get BloodRush on iTunes. Lot's of headachy details when trying to bring a product to mass public consumption as an individual. I guess that's why writers have publishers:)

2. Do you want me to do that and try to make it available as a print edition?

3. Do you want me just to finish typing it in, as is, when SF is done, and post it at my blog?

Most important is your health....second is finishing Shadowfever.

I would be happy with option 3 ----either retype or post as pdf as you have it now without retyping (or is it handwritten? - even that is okay if we could read it.)

Unless you have a driving desire to get back into the Lady Lies story, you need to tell the stories that are driving you now - hopefully more of the Fever storylines! I guess I am selfish that I want to see new stories from you, rather that you spend alot of time getting LL into print if I can read it on the blog.

It would be nice,, as another poster stated, to see how you would re-write/edit the LL story compared to how you originally wrote, to see the editing process from an experienced and successful writer - but that is for selfish/educational reasons- and again I would rather see new stories!

Thanks for asking your readers! We love you.

Da Mi Basia Milli

Maniac

Wink Hopeing!!!

I hope you are feeling well! Knowing this many people are keepinh you in their thoughts should help!!
    I really am hooked on this book and would love to know what happens! Even though I am a HUGE fan of the Fever Series, I really would like to see you finish this for us first!!!! It is really selfish but......... that's my opinion! We have been waiting for Shadowfever so I can wait a little longer! I cannot stand to be left in the middle of this story!!! I have to say, it is different from anything else I have read of yours but I love it!! PLease consider finishing it ASAP!!