+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do Not Buy Sergeant's Flea Shampoos

Deus nobiscum quis contra Conoga's Avatar

Default Do Not Buy Sergeant's Flea Shampoos

I just found this in my Craigslist pet section and its worth the time to read it.
    i havent used any flea products in a while and just use the same thing i use on my horses to repel flies(its also for dogs) and its not used ALL the time. and i wash my dogs with the same product i use on my hair so far so good, lol i dont have any fleas!
    but i can remember when i was a kid washing my dog with the kids nextdoor. up to our elbows in that funky green stinky dog shampoo. one of my dogs used to try to lick the suds off while she was being scrubbed.
    all this aside.... i cant tell that dog shampoo is any better than my own shampoo for killing or preventing fleas anyway.
    still, give this a read!

I feel like a lot of people buy Sergeant's and Hartz's products without fully understanding the side effects that these harmful products can have on their pets. I just realized for the first time today, the damage that these poisons can do. I have never used any of these grocery store insecticides, but knowing what I know now I never will, and hopefully you will choose to do the same!

I have been having a flea problem for a few months and nothing has really helped so while I was in Publix today I got a product called Sergeant's Gold: Flea and Tick Shampoo. Before using this shampoo on my two Maine Coon cats, I read the label on the back to see if I should expect any side effects, the directions, etc. To my surprise there was a section called "PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS" and under that it said that this product posed hazards to both humans and domestic animals.

I was curious as to why I would use a product on MY cats that CLEARLY states that it is hazardous right on the bottle. I continued reading and on the bottle beneath that, it said that one should use protective rubber gloves while using this product. Now, why would I use a flea shampoo on my cat's entire body, having it come in contact with his skin, when I myself have to wear gloves to safely use it?

This intrigued me greatly so I decided to do some research on the the company (Sergeant's) and the three main chemicals in the shampoo: 1) Pyrethrins, 2) n-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide and 3) Pyripoxyfen. It turns out that the chemicals in this product can be highly toxic to animals. Pyripoxyfen is an insecticide and in humans it has "Toxicity to humans, including carcinogenicity, reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity, and acute toxicity. " (http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...Rec_Id=PC35792). It also has water contamination potential. You are supposed to bathe your pets in this...and it then gets in the ground water contaminating it?

I then found a few other websites with people's experiences with Sergeant's and let me tell you, it was EXTREMELY disturbing. Many people on http://www.hartzvictims.org/ this website have claimed that both Sergeant's products and Hartz's products have caused their pets to have foaming at the mouth, incredible irritation of the skin and chemical burns, seizures, and ultimately kidney failure. Many animals have had to be put on IV's because of these products.

Hartz and Sergeant's are both fully aware of the harm that can be caused by their toxic products. They do not do anything about it. These companies are completely turning a blind eye just to make money off of people who are not informed of the dangers of the chemicals in their products. This stuff can be found at Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, EVERYWHERE. I urge you, as a fellow pet lover, to please go to your grocery store and demand that these products be taken off of the shelves. Boycott these products, email Sergeant's and Hartz, AND TELL EVERYBODY YOU KNOW! I e-mailed the Tallahassee Democrat and the local news station to hopefully get some kind of consumer awareness going about this issue. Not one more dog or cat should have to be harmed just because a corporation wanted to make a profit.

LINKS:

http://www.hartzvictims.org/ - Grassroots organization to keep consumers aware of the harmful products Hartz sells. Many stories about people's experiences with the products.
    http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...Rec_Id=PC35792
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin - Pyrethrin, another chemical found in the shampoo
    http://www.sergeants.com/ContactUs/contact.asp - E-mail Sergeant's telling them we won't tolerate another bottle of their shampoo on grocery store shelves!!!!
    http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsh...tick-drops.htm , http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/pets.htm - EPA articles about pesticide shampoos
    http://www.hartzkills.org/

Thanks for posting this. I can also add a very bad experience with Sergeant's Flea and Tick treatments. My parents have a Miniature Dachsund and for a while they had a huge flea problem with her, they tried everything and nothing worked. My Mom one day saw Sergeants and bought it, I really can't remember if it was the shampoo or the stuff you put on a dog to help prevent fleas, but anyway it made this little dog pretty sick. She's fine now but I know that my parents won't even consider using any Sergeant's products ever again. DH and use the prescription flea/tick/heartworm prevention stuff on Cassi and we've never had any problems with it. I can't remember the brand but I do know that it's not Sergeant's or Hartz.

BTW I used to bath my Bassethound with the same shampoo that I used and I would rinse her with Vinegar. I'd use about a half cup vinegar to approx two cups of water and not only did she not have flea problems but her coat was always very shiny and soft.

i should try the vinegar with mine. it seems like white dogs attract more fleas than any other colour.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCoyote View Post
    i should try the vinegar with mine. it seems like white dogs attract more fleas than any other colour.
    flees are attracted to white. if you leave out a white pice of paper on the ground and you have flees, they will gravitate towards it.

Dogs and cats have very different Ph than humans do and this is why you are not supposed to use human products on animal skin. it can be damaging to them also. i wonder what we are supposed to use then! i think i have been using the Hartz but i guess this will stop now!. maybe i can make a doggy soap
    Character Inspired Soaps and Candles
    www.lafaepetite.com

Ireland i found out the Ph thing isnt quite so true when in another forum someone had rescued a fleabitten puppy. he asked what he could use since it was so young. turns out dog shampoo and people shampoo has the same Ph, just one has a toxic chemical and the other doesnt.
    i believed the same thing though until that ordeal. baby shampoo on the other hand, different Ph, and of course dish soap is a no-no, but i know people who swear up and down that dawn is better at killing fleas than any dog shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCoyote View Post
    Ireland i found out the Ph thing isnt quite so true when in another forum someone had rescued a fleabitten puppy. he asked what he could use since it was so young. turns out dog shampoo and people shampoo has the same Ph, just one has a toxic chemical and the other doesnt.
    i believed the same thing though until that ordeal. baby shampoo on the other hand, different Ph, and of course dish soap is a no-no, but i know people who swear up and down that dawn is better at killing fleas than any dog shampoo.
    I've head about Dawn, too, but I heard you're supposed to mix it in small dishes with water and set it where pets can't get to it, but fleas can. Like in cabinets and closets. It's supposed to help with infestations in houses.

Thanks for the info!!! I went home and checked our flea shampoo and it was Hartz, we haven't used it much but I threw it away. I don't even want to use it. Has anybody ever heard of using Aloe from the actual plant on a dog? Our Lasha is scratching so much she is loosing hair. I've gotten rid of most of the fleas with a bath and Bio-spot, but she still scratches like mad!!! I'm going to do the vinagar rinse when I get home to get the flea shampoo off her, one of the few times I have used it. I feel so bad for her! It seems like she scratches more when she comes back from outside; like she is allergic to grass. I give her a Benadryl and it helps for 2 or 3 hours, I also use to give her a fish oil and when she would take it she seemed to be better, but now she won't take it, go figure! I hate to do the poke it down the throat thingy!!! The fish oil is too big to hide in a weiner, the benadryl does great though. I tried allergy pills for awhile but couldn't tell that they were doing any good. Any ideas??

i heard that too but i've had better luck with a lamp on the floor and a bowl of water near by. i think all the soap would do would be to drown it faster so they cant swim to the side of the bowl.

Jean i have heard a lot of solutions for the itchy dry skin and allergies. everything from changing the diet(raw diet) to adding skin so soft to the bath water.

my old bulldog had issues with all kinds of flea treatments except flea collars. yeah figure that one out lol but anything sprayed or applied to her skin would cause major skin damage to her. she would scratch till she bled even after i washed the poison off. there was one episode(when we first discovered her allergy) her face broke out so bad she looked like she had been in a fight... which is not PR with a bulldog. i was afraid to walk her in public, worried people would mistake her for a pit dog!
    but she never once had a problem with a flea collar.

Quote Originally Posted by jeant View Post
    Thanks for the info!!! I went home and checked our flea shampoo and it was Hartz, we haven't used it much but I threw it away. I don't even want to use it. Has anybody ever heard of using Aloe from the actual plant on a dog? Our Lasha is scratching so much she is loosing hair. I've gotten rid of most of the fleas with a bath and Bio-spot, but she still scratches like mad!!! I'm going to do the vinagar rinse when I get home to get the flea shampoo off her, one of the few times I have used it. I feel so bad for her! It seems like she scratches more when she comes back from outside; like she is allergic to grass. I give her a Benadryl and it helps for 2 or 3 hours, I also use to give her a fish oil and when she would take it she seemed to be better, but now she won't take it, go figure! I hate to do the poke it down the throat thingy!!! The fish oil is too big to hide in a weiner, the benadryl does great though. I tried allergy pills for awhile but couldn't tell that they were doing any good. Any ideas??
    Can you find some fish oil that isn't in a pill form? If you could find some that's just the oil part you could try mixing it in with her food. Also one thing that DH and I do with Cassi is that once a month we'll mix a raw egg in with her dry food for her coat. Fortunately enough she doesn't seem to have any skin allergies. However my Basset hound did and I seem to remember Mom getting some Vitamin E oil to rub into her skin when it would get irritated.

+ Reply to Thread