+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do Not Buy Sergeant's Flea Shampoos

Deus nobiscum quis contra Conoga's Avatar

i used to fry an egg for my dogs every day - this was when i lived at home and treated my dogs like my kids lol - it made their coats slick as grease but that along with Pedigree dog chow gave them HORRIBLE gas!

you can feed your dog an egg every day but i cant remember exactly which part you remove, the white or yolk. one of them prevents the dog from absorbing something important if they eat too much of it.
    other thing i do now is just throw a few eggs in the freezer(we have tons of bantam eggs from our chickens) so as a treat for the dogs they;ll get a frozen raw egg. keeps them busy, good for their coats, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCoyote View Post
    i used to fry an egg for my dogs every day - this was when i lived at home and treated my dogs like my kids lol - it made their coats slick as grease but that along with Pedigree dog chow gave them HORRIBLE gas!

you can feed your dog an egg every day but i cant remember exactly which part you remove, the white or yolk. one of them prevents the dog from absorbing something important if they eat too much of it.
    other thing i do now is just throw a few eggs in the freezer(we have tons of bantam eggs from our chickens) so as a treat for the dogs they;ll get a frozen raw egg. keeps them busy, good for their coats, etc.
    I'll have to try the frozen egg trick...However that would be an outside only treat, but knowing her she would try burying it first. Not know what part not to feed too much of and the gas are the two reason's why she only gets the egg once a month. One of my co-workers once a week will spoon a table spoon of bacon grease over her dog's food. Yeah I tried that once...let's just say Cassi loved it but...ummm...it wasn't real pretty for a few days sensitive system .

too much bacon grease(or any grease) can severely damage their insides. i think its got to do with colon? i'll have to read that again but basically...... dont do it. their kibble has PLENTY of fat already! and the grease from the frying pan will probably have too much salt and other things they dont need.

i looked up the egg thing just now and my memory snapped back!
    http://askville.amazon.com/feed-dogs...uestId=1076562
    Apparently, raw egg whites bind to the biotin that a dog ingests and prevents it from being absorbed. Cooked eggs do not do this.
    so a fried or boiled egg is perfectly healthy, but the raw one not so much in large quantities. you can still boil it and freeze it ((just remember to put it in an airtight container unless you want everything in your fridge and freezer to smell like boiled egg!!))

i have been doing hard core studying on raw diets for dogs and even put my senior bulldog on one for the longest time. she did great with it. and now i'm starting my second senior dog, Ben, on the raw diet. that alone, no kibble, will cut back on greasy coats, itchy skin, stinky dog smell, and less poop in the yard!
    BUT..... its a science, just not an exact one... Similar to our diet you have to get the amounts just right depending on the individual's size, activity level, and age. or it can backfire. its really the same principle to feeding kids and ourselves. if you notice the dog is too skinny, or too fat you adjust the portions.

it has even been proven to lengthen the dog's life (because raw meat rarely has dye(causes cancer), preservatives(also causes cancer and other problems), and other useless ingredients like corn(thyroid, and allergies, plus stinky dog smell) i've heard people say their flea/inner parasite problems have decreased but there isnt enough evidence to convince me of it so i worm my dogs anyway. living on a farm you kinda have to!
    Last edited by Conoga; 11-12-2009 at 11:54 PM.

I would also caution against using so-called 'natural' or 'organic ingredient' products. I bought an organic flea med for my cat (AKA "My Boy") without really thinking about it. Amoung ingredients was cinnimon and I think peppermint. I put it on my boy and at first had a great laugh because he kept trying to run away from the smell...it had a strong cinnimony scent.

It wasn't until 30 minutes later I realized the stuff was burning his skin. The poor thing's neck was bright red, and I ended up giving him a bath to get the stuff off. A day later the fur on his neck where I'd put the product was coming out in clumps and his skin was flaking. The vet said a lot of animals react badly to cinnimon, and if it was up to her, those products would be banned and the makers charged with cruelty and fraud. It took months for his bald spot to grow back. I felt horrible, and never bought an over-the-counter flea med again.
    Did you ever think that to the nuts inside, the peanut is like their whole universe? I mean they could fall in love and never be together because the shell separates them. So close, but their cruel prison --the shell-- keeps them apart. It's so sad! How they must hate their cruel master, The Shell -- uncaring despoiler of legume romance! And then one day, They're free! And it's like, "let's dance, you hot salty nut!"
    ~Deadpool

Thanks for the info.!
    I'm getting my puppy tomorrow and this is definitely a good thing to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    I would also caution against using so-called 'natural' or 'organic ingredient' products. I bought an organic flea med for my cat (AKA "My Boy") without really thinking about it. Amoung ingredients was cinnimon and I think peppermint. I put it on my boy and at first had a great laugh because he kept trying to run away from the smell...it had a strong cinnimony scent.

It wasn't until 30 minutes later I realized the stuff was burning his skin. The poor thing's neck was bright red, and I ended up giving him a bath to get the stuff off. A day later the fur on his neck where I'd put the product was coming out in clumps and his skin was flaking. The vet said a lot of animals react badly to cinnimon, and if it was up to her, those products would be banned and the makers charged with cruelty and fraud. It took months for his bald spot to grow back. I felt horrible, and never bought an over-the-counter flea med again.
    i used something similar with peppermint and cinnamon, back when we discovered our bulldog was allergic to normal flea sprays. i couldnt tell that it did any good for her and it was expensive for one little bitty bottle! sure it smelled nice, but...... nah lavender works better lol

I haven't used Sergeant's nor Hartz flea products since 84' when I started grooming because I was told they were hard on the animals. I don't think I have bought anything of theirs because of the attitude they have about the flea products. When it comes to flea products ALWAYS READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND CAUTIONS!!! Do some research of anything Chemical or natural for any side effects. Some things, safe when used sparingly, can have bad results when used in concentration, such as in herbal products.
    Some breeds of dogs, collies and shelties especially, can not use some flea products safely.
    DO NOT be shy if you have questions about any product or procedure, call your vet or groomer. Call a couple of them to get second and third opinions. These people will gladly give info over the phone for free to keep your pet safe. They probably will give you better and safer alternatives.

I also feel what kind of nutrition the animal gets also helps it fight off and repel parasites. Even though I believe an organic raw diet is best I can't afford it. I picked a brand that is affordable to me that gives the best nutrition possible. I feed Diamond dry feed to both my cats and dogs. I have only had 2 incidents that fleas were a problem: once just after a move, and with no money til payday (2 weeks). By the time I had the money the fleas were gone. The second time I did use Advantage, but they weren't as bad as they could have been. The only explanation I can find is the food.
    I lived 2 1/2 years in GA and never had to use flea products on my dogs.
    Last edited by kendapup; 12-09-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: I wasn't done and my keyboard died.

Default for Jeant

Jeant, I read your post about your dog's itchy skin. If its allergy related and your really concerned about the issue, talk to your vet and see if there is a veterinary allergist in the area. S/he can run some tests or your normal vet can do them (I think), and help determine the cause of the itchy skin. If it's allergy related, then you and the vet can come up with a treatment plan so your dog isn't living on benedryl. My friend had great success taking her dog to a allergist for her dog. She discovered her dog had allergies to corn, which is a common ingredient in most dogfoods in stores. She changed the her dog's diet. Good luck with the itchy skin.

Thanks for the flea shampoo information! I won't use those items on my dogs! I wouldn't want them harmed nor myself in the process.

This flea shampoo poisoned and killed my first yorkie. I will never use an OTC flea product ever again.
    Genetalia is just God's way of accessorizing!

Maniac

wow i am really glad that i read this because i just bought some of this shampoo for my new puppy and i wanted to know a little more about it before i used it on her and after i read this i will not be bathing her in it at all and i am going to take it back to get my money back on it they shouldnt even sell something like that. i love my dog way too much to use such a terrible thing on her skin. thanks for the information.:)

+ Reply to Thread