+ Reply to Thread

Thread: *sigh* I could really use some animal advice ladies

Default *sigh* I could really use some animal advice ladies

Ok so before I get to the real meat of the prob.. let me give you a little background info

I have 2 cats, one who has never been around a dog, one who we THINK has but we are not sure. I have taken care of them to the best of my ability ever since we got them barring a few complications(I.E we take the dirty litter up to my grandmother's to be dumped and we got snowed in for a month in Feb. and when it started snowing it is murder to get up to her house..) that lead to a small catastrophe on the porch where the litter box was.. but has been recently cleaned up

Anyway...

We are thinking about getting a dog.. yes.. a dog.. a small cockerspaniel terrier mix.. from the local animal shelter I voulenteer at.. He has been sitting up there for a year almost now.. At the shelter he has been a perfect little angel..

My mother is thinking about it, and now dad has to listen too( he is the anti dog person in the house) now.. we had a discussion today about it..

My father is of the type if one little thing is out of order with an animal he screams that I am not taking care of it.. and he said if I do not take care of the dog he will go back to the shelter.. which is hardly fair nor right but dad is.. dad..I digress

I have allready reset my alarm to begin getting up at an early hour( mostly I am a afternoon/night person by nature) I have a schedule worked out in my head as to what is what

8:30 am- up/biscut/outside to go potty
    9:30 am- breakfast
    10 to 11 am- walk
    12-4- naptime( or aka mommy downtime)
    5 pm- dinner/ outside to go potty
    6pm- walk
    7 to 9 pm- relax time
    9:30- biscuts
    10:00pm- outside
    12 am(yes I am a night owl) bed

I have my mother worrying what if he does not agree with Addy and Tanner( my grandmother's 2 dogs) my grandmother is in her 80's but in good health but if something should suddenly happen we get her house and the responsibility for her dogs( Tanner, yellow Lab, Addey- Husky collie mix, both =100 lbs)

My grandmother is the type she will not permit her dogs to do ANYTHING no going into petstores that allow dogs, they might pick up germs, no socalizing with other dogs they might fight etc etc.. in essc a hover parent..

Then my dad comes home saying about the next door neighbors who have 2 lab mixes( neither of which are even close to being trained) and what am I gonna do about them? I said" dad they stay in a fenced in yard" Dad says" that ain't gonna stop them if they really want to fight" (The neighbors rarely pay us much mind anyway.. so I am not too worried about them..)

Then mom starts in about" how while at the shelter they are putting their best paw forward" etc. .and that when I get him home I could have a complete demon on my hands that shows teeth constantly and snaps.. is there any truth to that or is she overblowing it? and any suggestions as to how I can make sure that will not happen?

Final point being if everything goes through ok( adoption ap gets put in, we get approved the rule waved( that voulenteers must voulenteer a few months before being permitted to adopt) is it just me or does it sound like my parents are trying to scare me out of wanting this dog? I have waited since I was 3 asking for a puppy every year from Santa.. I got it bk then I was not responsible enough.. but now I honestly think I am.. *sigh* advice please? and all I ask is be nice and keep it civil to everyone.. if it goes into fighting I will ask a mod to delete this.
    Avvie and Sig by Viking Princess ,you rock!!

Debbie H

Wow, that is a tough one. The larger dogs having not been socialized around other animals could be a problem. Have they tested the dog at the shelter with cats at the shelter. Say a cat that is used to dogs with this dog? When you do bring the dog home, it will take some adjusting on everyone's part and there will be some mishaps for sure, but if the humans can remain calm, it might work. What do the shelter people say about all of this?

Good luck!

Aw! Adopting rescues is great!

I've been volunteering in greyhound rescue for 10 years now, so I'm familiar with transitioning from kennel/farm to home.
    Whenever we go pick up dogs from the breeding farms (which are generally arranged as kennels and/or runs) the shy or quiet pups do tend to perk up when they are placed in foster homes. It is because they are becoming more comfortable with their new environment, and partly, I believe because they are happy to be out of the kennel setting. Dogs that are becoming aquainted with their new surroundings can exhibit more activity and playfulness once they are placed in a home, but usually dogs that are well behaved in the kennel won't become agressive dogs.
    melibells.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by highlanderlas View Post
    Wow, that is a tough one. The larger dogs having not been socialized around other animals could be a problem. Have they tested the dog at the shelter with cats at the shelter. Say a cat that is used to dogs with this dog? When you do bring the dog home, it will take some adjusting on everyone's part and there will be some mishaps for sure, but if the humans can remain calm, it might work. What do the shelter people say about all of this?

Good luck!

Yes, it would be a good idea to see how the little one your interested in interacts with other animals.
    It would also be ideal to see how the large dogs your grandmother has will do with a small dog. Some large dogs can be dominant over the little ones, and the difference in size is a disadvantage to the small ones.

I did ask about the cat issue.. he does not pay cats a bit of attention.. When I took him for a walk the other day( he had been at Petsmart for the past 3 weeks and I almost did not get to go for that week but I got lucky yaay!) they have an outdoor kennel of sorts for the cats.. basically a wired in enclosure that allows them to be outside without getting hurt and free access to their free roaming cat room. .Walked him right past there there were about 5 or 6 cats out, he did not pay them a bit of attention whatsoever.. might have been coidence but I would like to believe he truly does not pay cats any attention lol.

I am going up this.. Friday possibly Saturday definitly, I will be talking to them more in depth

Addey and Tanner both came from the local SPCA.. there used to be 3 dogs but grandma decided to keep it at 2 because there's a good fit there and she doesn't want to mess with what she has now..*sigh* she can be stubbroun at times..

EDIT: thing is Tanner.. he used to be around a small dog.. he is a bit of how shall I say.. a bulldozer? means well but doesn't know his strength.. Addey.. we dunno but she only tends to get snappy around females( female dog walked into the room at the vets.. she went nuts..) but the little one we are thinking about is allready fixed and UTD on shots

Lycans

Icon21 JMHO

OK, I am by no means an expert here. So I will give you a little back ground and you can make your own judgement, as there may be much more qualified women on these MB's who are more familiar with this subject then I.

I grew up w/ my Mom and Grandmother showing their dogs and cats at AKC shows ( you know, the ones on TV w/ the women running around the stage & posing the dog on the platform-yeah, that was us)-not fun.

Anyway, now my mother breeds and takes in abused dogs, rehabilitates them (fosters them) and sends them off to good homes.

My husband and I, aside from 2 of our German Shepherds, have always adopted and are in the process of adopting an abused G. Shepherd as we speak.

He was bought for breeding purposes, and for his size (Enormous, black, beautiful male), well, the man simply wanted to put him in a cage and breed him. No training, no socialization-not a F'ing thing. So, the dog did what puppies do, he acted out.
    So this CJ put a shock colloar around his neck, on such a high setting, it left permanent burns in his skin and now the poor thing wont make a noise and is very skitish.

We have our 11 yr old Shepherd, one very obnoxious Kitty cat named Artemis and our 5 yr old daughter.

Until recently, I worked in a Grooming/boarding facility where we did volunteer work w/the Humane Society.

SO, this, is all that I have learned.

Yes, you can bring your dog home. Yes, you will have socialization issues for a little bit. The other dogs and cats will feel the need to establish thier Alpha status to the newcomer.

Get the new dog a kennel-this is not to be used as a punishment and the other dogs and cats are not allowed in this little kennel; it is your dogs and his alone! He will see it as a safe place. And, depending on his anxiety issues, you may have to put him in their and close the door when you leave to stave off chewing off everything in sight while you are gone.

Introduce him to the other animals one at a time, while you are with him, touching him and giving him, not the other dog-at first-your support. Then show the other dog some love, until it is equal. Do this with all the animals.
    \Also, the #1 way to bond with a new pet, whether a puppy or a rescue pet are obedience classes. They establish you as the Alpha and help in developing a bond between the two of you.

I'm sorry, your Dad is stuck in the mud and your mom thinks that every other dog has canine cooties-but just because we think something, does not make it fact.

I'm sure when they had you, you did not come out of the womb pooping in the pooty and asking politely for dinner and a book please.
    So, they will just have to reajust their attitudes for a little while and acclimate. It wont be forever, but what they are asking for is unreasonable and unrealistic.

BTW, my Mom trained her German Shepherd as first a Cadaver dog, then as a therapy dog. Our newest one will be trained in Search and Rescue. Some dogs like to be couch potatoes, some dogs like going to work each day. You will have to just wait and see what your little guy wants to do with his day. Or night ( I'm an afternoon/night person myslef; thank Gods my DD and dog is as well! My husband can go either way!)

Maybe, you could see how the dog you want to adopt reacts around the cats in your shelter. Bring him into the socialization room, then bring a cat who is comfortable around dogs in a cage, into the same room.

This is a wonderful thing you are doing and I'm so sorry your parents are making it very, very difficult on you.

All of us animal lovers are sympathizing with you sweetie.

Good Luck Darlin, let us know what happens.

Dawn

Ty so much! all of this really helps a bunch.. basically mom is pretty ok.. it's my grandmother who is the nutjob and thinks the other dogs have cooties.. I think she is more worried about them picking up something off the floor like parvo or whatnot( I am pretty sure you can't" pick up" parvo off a floor like that but using as an example)

Friday mom has a staff meeting and she had mentioned about dropping me off for my voulenteer work then. I am going to try and get her to see if we can leave early enough to go up and have some of these things done. We could not get Addey and Tanner to go up for a possible meeting.. 1, grandma would never permit it 2, Addey is a muderous nightmare when trying to get her into a car and since both of them came from the shelter.. well.. could cause probs.

BTW, link to his petfinder listing > http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/14669497

soooo cute in't he?

Really, it's a gamble that could go either way. My brother got two dogs and they didn't last even a day because they weren't a good match with their current dog. It turned out their doggie didn't want a dog for a sister, but wanted a CAT instead . They get along beautifully.

Then there's our Maddie Kate, which we rescued from a shelter. She was a very unhappy little girl that was abused (definitely verbally), but she's taken to all our other pets really, really well.

If it doesn't work out, you can always just put out an ad like my brother and SIL did. When they did that, the dog found a good home that same day. And if it all does work out, you'll have a new family member to spoil and love.

Either way, this dog gets a chance at a new and better life.

OMG! I just look at his pic. He is ADORABLE!!!! My goodness, that dog looks so happy. And look at those beautiful curly ears. Heck, now I want him and we hardly ever get male dogs. Lol!
    Last edited by Beware_of_Italics; 05-03-2010 at 10:01 PM.

*nods taking notes*

Thing is.. I will say this.. Dodger HATES being in a cage.. when I had to bring him in from the outside kennel.. he was doing the circling thing(almost like the ones out of the puppy mills do) going around and around so much I thought he was going to make himself sick.. and the whole time I was heading out into the front hall I could hear him barking .. damn even thinking about it gets me teary eyed..

Anyway..

My family are of the mind" once they are here they stay for life" which means no rehomes etc etc.. but my father would be enough of an idiot to just take him back if he was not taken care of to" his" satiafaction.. which is part of what scares me..

When we got Morgie( our older cat) there was a good share of fighting and arguing between her and Kazzie( our 1st cat and my snuggle baby)there was a good share of hissing and spitting.. yes I do realize that comes with the territory.. They put up with each other now.. usually going into a game of" Chase me stupid" in which they run all over the house like crazies or Kazzie keeps trying to jump Morgie to.. I believe make kittens..

They are both fixed as we had that confirmed by our vet.. Kazzie just does not get Morgie is bigger than him, tougher than him and will kick his petunia if he pushes her too much( Morgie btw is attached to mom)

But I would only ever rehome Dodger as a last.. absoulete last resort.. I really would not want to have to take him bk to the shelter simply because I do not want him to feel he is being punished simply because things did not work out..would break my poor heart as it was.

I would love to see if they would let us do a temp foster and see if it works out with our cats but I dunno if they would or not.. another thing to add to my list for Friday..

well.. there has been a setback..

The health inspector was just here.. he shows up if the grass is unsightly or whatnot.. apparently the stupid neighbors complained.. We have to have the grass cut by Friday or else he will be back..

Because of this, our possible adoption is being put on hold until we see what is going on with the CJ health inspector because dad will not allow them in the house.. it is in essence... a wreck.. and we could possibly get thrown out for it new stupid laws because we live in the damn city *sigh* and as for me going up.. Saturday only because I have to stay home and help the idiot clean up his f'ing mistake

And knowing how my luck runs.. well nm.. I will keep you all updated as to how things go!

BTW Italics am loving the POTO siggy!*angel nudges Christine into the lake and takes her place in the gondola* ok now she is feeling better..

As for when I saw him he was on petfinder since last October I think, and has been.. One look at that pic and I was instantly in love..even moreso when I got to meet him*grins*
    Last edited by Morgana; 05-05-2010 at 10:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread