+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here have betta fish?

lord bless charlie mops! Caitríona's Avatar

Default Does anyone here have betta fish?

Long story short, my brother's ex-girlfriend left her betta with my brother and it wasn't getting taken care of, so I took it - with permission, of course. So, ever having nor even wanting a fish before, here I am with a questionably healthy betta, and I'm learning as I go. My problem is that the internet it FULL of conflicting information about how to care for this type of fish.

So far, he's already had a round of anti-biotics for what I suspect was the beginning of fin rot from being in such disgusting water for so long. Then I bought him a cave for his tank, since the internet says they like that sort of thing. He loves it. Happy fish.

Then I bought a thermometer and learned the tank is usually 70 degrees instead of the recommended 72-82. So THEN I bought a heater that was factory set to 78, but it heats my tank to 84? So I check online. Some say 84 is too hot, some say it's fine, and I have ZERO experience with fish, so I have no clue!

Does anyone here have experience with betta fish? I don't want him in a smaller tank, so the old room-temperature thing isn't going to apply. I eventually want him in a 10 gallon tank; right now he's in a 2.5 (I think. It's the tank I found him in, so I have no way of knowing for sure.) Is 84 too hot? What kind of thermometer is best? Maybe it's reading the temps wrong... I have a glass one with the red stuff in it. Maybe I need a digital?

Help!
    Last edited by Caitríona; 10-18-2010 at 09:16 AM.

My DD has a beta and he seems to be happy but I don't know what to do to keep them happy. Could you go to a pet shop that has Betta's and talk to them? for some reason I don't think they reguire a lot of room. I know they don't need other fish since they are fighting fish. Good luck, they are beautiful fish!!

Flip, I wish I could help but keeping fish just ain't my bag!
    Good luck and well done you for giving a fish a happy home/cave :)

Exclamation Hope this helps you =0]

I don't know if this helps but, my son had two of them in separate quarters in different parts of his room.

The tank consisted of a large jar type container & a plant that grew above and the roots were immersed in water with glass pebbles as the 'sand'. The fish lived below, in said water. We would clean the water every month or so, transferring the fish & about 1/3rd of the original water. We would cut some of the excess roots that were confining the wee fish's space. Cleaned the container of algae then replaced the new water with distilled the added the betta back in and the original 1/3rd of water.

I googled this for you : Betta Fish Vase for the exact container & plants my son had:

http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat..._fish_vase.htm

Each of the two fish lived about ... 6 years each as I recalled.
    Way beyond their life expectancy.

We gave them a burial at sea when they passed on
    aka flushing down the toilet.

Lightbulb *slaps self on head*

Caitriona~

If you fish's dorsal fin in folding near it's body and the body colors (my son had 1 blue & 1 red) are starting to fade and it almost looks like some scales are grayish in color, the fish is old & starting to die.
    Before you go & spend $20+ something for a Betta vase (glass vase, plant, & glass pebbles) you may want to reconsider.
    Good luck, lass!

lord bless charlie mops! Caitríona's Avatar

Thanks, ladies. :)

Sir Kisses is less than a year old, according to my brother, so I hope to have him with me for a while. He's happy in his 2.5 gallon tank, but my boyfriend eventually wants to go bigger. Thanks for the link, though!

My main problem is water temp. I took the heater out this morning... my thermometer read 86 but I swear the water felt like bath water. It's been out all day and the temp is now 76. If it stays that way, fabulous, but if it drops, I guess I'll just have to get another heater? I'm thinking 78 is where his water should be... did you guys all just skip the heater and keep it room temp? Maybe he's okay when the water drops to 70?

Quote Originally Posted by *Jo* View Post
    I don't know if this helps but, my son had two of them in separate quarters in different parts of his room.

The tank consisted of a large jar type container & a plant that grew above and the roots were immersed in water with glass pebbles as the 'sand'. The fish lived below, in said water. We would clean the water every month or so, transferring the fish & about 1/3rd of the original water. We would cut some of the excess roots that were confining the wee fish's space. Cleaned the container of algae then replaced the new water with distilled the added the betta back in and the original 1/3rd of water.

I googled this for you : Betta Fish Vase for the exact container & plants my son had:

http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat..._fish_vase.htm

Each of the two fish lived about ... 6 years each as I recalled.
    Way beyond their life expectancy.

We gave them a burial at sea when they passed on
    aka flushing down the toilet.
    ohhh thank you I needed that!

VP original~

Wink =0] Glad you enjoyed ~

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    ohhh thank you I needed that!

I had a blue betta for a number of years. Be very careful about the fish you put him with. They tend to get jealous of other prettier fish and will chew their fins off. Keep the male and female separate. Bettas are 'bubble nest blowers' - The male makes a bubble nest and the female puts the eggs there. There are definate 'signs' of when they want to breed but I can't remember all of them.

Try to feed them brine shrimp every now and then. Helps their coloring.
    They also breathe differently than other fish hence why they can be kept in those small bowls. My brother used to raise fish in the same family as bettas. Can't remember their names. But he used real plants. He also kept their aquariums as 'natural looking as possible'. This meant algae .....
    not sure this would be appropriate for betta tho.

My betta used to take food from my fingers and HATED the mirror. They are very aggressive hence 'siamese fighting fish'.
    DeeS =^..^=
    Autism rates:
    1995=1:500 // 1998=1:250//2001=1:150//2009=1:90
    2012=1:88 Shouldn't you be REALLY worried?

I've had a couple betta fish and I always kept them in room temp water. They seemed to do fine.
    ~Sara~

+ Reply to Thread