> > >

Thread: On Adam Black

Question On Adam Black

ok, maybe i'm missing/forgetting key information so u might think i'm a lil crazy for thinking this/finding this odd. but it's just something i remembered

Adam Black's true name is 'adam black' in gaelic (amadan dubh)
    why is his true name in gaelic but not v'lane's???? v'lane's, we can't even pronounce b/c it's in an ancient fae language.
    in order to compel a fae, u have to know and pronounce his true name.

my thing is, the fae aren't even from around here to begin w/ so why would adam's name gaelic in the first place????

now, i only thought this mild speculation, not worthy of posting on the boards until i got to HT and adam said ths:
    Ch 21, p. 245 (paperback)
    Still, Adam thought, there were times when even a demigod such as himself couldn't resit. there was something about the world of man that fascinated him, made him think he had perhaps he had once been more similar to them than he could clearly recall, his memories dimmed by time's passage.
    i find it odd he considers himself a demigod as opposed to a god. but that's besides the point.

could it be that Adam was human at one point???? is it possible??? something tells me that KMM knows more about adam then she ever let on!

what other ideas could explain him "being more similar to the human race" (paraphrased, of course)? that is, if he ever had been. he could've been simply musing, wondering what made him so fascinated w/ the human race as he was. even the QA didn't think it was natural.

by VP--she freakin rocks!

Good question and I have no fecking Idea! I give up :S
    Also, your question made me think, why is 'Sinsar Dubh' (Sinsar=King, Dubh=dark) also in gaelic? *scratches head*
    No more waiting for Shadowfever, now what do I do with myself? *dazed*
    My First Siggy!

I dunno but this is lopsided logic on my part~
    Daoine Sith, dark fallen angel fae.
    Sinsar Dubh, dark book/the author must have been 'dark' or 'black as well.
    Amadan Dubh, Adam Black.
    Dark fallen angels live in the human realm.
    Domain, the Otherworld.
    Dark hair, dark eyes, olive skinned~ for purbreds.
    Still Daoine are dark. (Like Hawk Douglas, though HD is human, Circenn Brodie~half Daoine fae son of Adam Black.)

There's links that specify that perhaps this fae is from the House of Donn or Land of the Dead thread:

http://www.karenmoning.com/forum/sho...s-!&highlight=

in the archives.

The author of the Sinsar Dubh is the Unseelie King.
    The once Seelie King now Unseelie was a consort to a prior Seelie queen, now dead.

I always thought that the UK originally was Daoine, dark hair, dark eyed-fae wich would make him 'dark'. Daoine.
    Hence the threads that Adam, the UK, Cruce (who appears to be this breed as well, working within the realm with UK making the amulets & silvers, was also dark fallen.)
    Just looking at Barrons one would say he is also ... dark. In mood, temperment & color.

*looking up*
    Geeze, that's alot.
    Did I loose ye, lass?!
    Last edited by *Jo*; 01-09-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes Veronica View Post
    ok, maybe i'm missing/forgetting key information so u might think i'm a lil crazy for thinking this/finding this odd. but it's just something i remembered

Adam Black's true name is 'adam black' in gaelic (amadan dubh)
    why is his true name in gaelic but not v'lane's???? v'lane's, we can't even pronounce b/c it's in an ancient fae language.
    in order to compel a fae, u have to know and pronounce his true name.

my thing is, the fae aren't even from around here to begin w/ so why would adam's name gaelic in the first place????

now, i only thought this mild speculation, not worthy of posting on the boards until i got to HT and adam said ths:
    Ch 21, p. 245 (paperback)

i find it odd he considers himself a demigod as opposed to a god. but that's besides the point.

could it be that Adam was human at one point???? is it possible??? something tells me that KMM knows more about adam then she ever let on!

what other ideas could explain him "being more similar to the human race" (paraphrased, of course)? that is, if he ever had been. he could've been simply musing, wondering what made him so fascinated w/ the human race as he was. even the QA didn't think it was natural.
    I said awhile back in another post that I thought that Adam was human(ish) as his memories seemed to begin at about 6000 years ago, which happens to be the time that the compact was forged. Now if these momories are from drinking from the caldron then (which I doubt because he has major enemies) or because of something else? Plus in THT when Adam is talking about teaching Cin he talks about how he learned and that he learned too fast (paraphrasing of course). I'm at work and dont have time/access to get the exact quote. I dont think that Adam was always Fae.

Time is the coin of your life.
    It is the only coin you have,
    and only you can determine how it will be spent,
    Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you- Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Vahista View Post
    Good question and I have no fecking Idea! I give up :S
    Also, your question made me think, why is 'Sinsar Dubh' (Sinsar=King, Dubh=dark) also in gaelic? *scratches head*
    well, so is sidhe-seer and other things. but it makes sense. the sidhe-seers (of Irish decent--Ireland and Scotland are where the fae resided for millenia. their HeadQuarters, so to speak) probably named these things. and if they didn't, they fae did. which doesn't seem add only b/c they resided in Ireland/scotland long enough to know the language and communicate it.
    i just find his name being odd b/c the fae's orgins aren't in Ireland/Scotland. they are of another world.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jo* View Post
    I dunno but this is lopsided logic on my part~
    Daoine Sith, dark fallen angel fae.
    Sinsar Dubh, dark book/the author must have been 'dark' or 'black as well.
    Amadan Dubh, Adam Black.
    Dark fallen angels live in the human realm.
    Domain, the Otherworld.
    Dark hair, dark eyes, olive skinned~ for purbreds.
    Still Daoine are dark. (Like Hawk Douglas, though HD is human, Circenn Brodie~half Daoine fae son of Adam Black.)

There's links that specify that perhaps this fae is from the House of Donn or Land of the Dead thread:

in the archives.

The author of the Sinsar Dubh is the Unseelie King.
    The once Seelie King now Unseelie was a consort to a prior Seelie queen, now dead.

I always thought that the UK originally was Daoine, dark hair, dark eyed-fae wich would make him 'dark'. Daoine.
    Hence the threads that Adam, the UK, Cruce (who appears to be this breed as well, working within the realm with UK making the amulets & silvers, was also dark fallen.)
    Just looking at Barrons one would say he is also ... dark. In mood, temperment & color.

*looking up*
    Geeze, that's alot.
    Did I loose ye, lass?!
    nah, u haven't lost me. I just attribute the same gaelic word "dubh" being used b/c well, adam's last name is Black and the book is Dark. they used the same word to describe. I personally don't derive deeper meaning behind it. Especially since KMM's heros are usually dark in coloring/complexion.
    HOWEVER, i don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. There very well could be meaning behind it all

Quote Originally Posted by Brekka View Post
    I said awhile back in another post that I thought that Adam was human(ish) as his memories seemed to begin at about 6000 years ago, which happens to be the time that the compact was forged. Now if these momories are from drinking from the caldron then (which I doubt because he has major enemies) or because of something else? Plus in THT when Adam is talking about teaching Cin he talks about how he learned and that he learned too fast (paraphrasing of course). I'm at work and dont have time/access to get the exact quote. I dont think that Adam was always Fae.
    Well KMM says Adam is older than 6000 but he doesn't know that b/c he drank from the cauldron. When one drinks from the cauldron they have to be 're-educated' so to speak. I, personally, assumed that that included using their powers.
    But maybe not.
    I know what part of the book you're talking about. but i don't have the quote on me now either.

i don't think he was always fae either. but my question then becomes, can the queen make some one fae? it would seem the queen that the UK killed couldn't (but maybe she knew how and wouldn't?). and if the queen can, would she need the SOM to do so? Meaning that the last queen w/ the song could make people become fae, then the QA wouldn't b able to since they no longer have the SOM. But if the SOM is not needed, then any queen could have the power to do so, IF the queens can do it.

sorry, just musing out loud

AHH I missed that one from KMM, I wasnt sure if he was more than 6000 or not just seemed odd with the timing. I thought that they reverted back to their original "programming" so to speak once they drank from the cauldron not that they were completely wiped clean. I thought V'lane said somewhere that once they drink they remember the first language they spoke (paraphrasing) ect.. wish I had time to search for it *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Brekka View Post
    AHH I missed that one from KMM, I wasnt sure if he was more than 6000 or not just seemed odd with the timing. I thought that they reverted back to their original "programming" so to speak once they drank from the cauldron not that they were completely wiped clean. I thought V'lane said somewhere that once they drink they remember the first language they spoke (paraphrasing) ect.. wish I had time to search for it *sigh*
    he did say something along those lines. that they remember nothing but their original language they were born w/. that sometimes they had to drink from the cauldron a few times before there minds were wiped clean. and even then, the fae sometimes a few memories.

nothing he said indicated that they remembered how to use their powers. but i can't remember anything being said that they DIDN'T remember how to use their powers, out right. but they do have to be 're-educated' again

and how i interpreted v'lane's statement is this: they know nothing outside of their original tongue and have to relearn everything. and having just read HT, to use the powers requires vast knowledge (tho they learn it very quickly and in no time) and it's this knowledge that makes them mad in the first place.

we know that Adam had drank from the cauldron at least once from KMM's words. all he remembers is since then, so it makes sense that he had to learn his powers all over again. and that's how he went mad slightly from learning all this too fast. and it seems the QA taught him

i assume that the name of the fae is also in their original language, it only stands to reason. What's odd is that his name is Gaelic (thus making his original name Gaelic). Maybe that shouldn't be odd....but i find it very odd.

Maniac

So the whole thing with Adam being suggested that he wasn't always a Tuatha De, Remember Christian MacKeltar in the Fever Series? After eating the Unseelie and being in the Silvers, he started to turn Fae or something like that. So....... it's possible that a human can be turned Fae, although Christian is also a Druid, so that might have something to do with it.
    Megs

Another Gandy Perv Love me some Barrons's Avatar

Wasn't it said by V'Lane to Mac somewhere in either DrFever or ShFever, (Paraphrasing here) that perhaps the tales of old were true, that the fae could've started out human(druids to be specific) and that when they died in our world they were reborn in the otherworld as adult fae. I'll have to pull my books out to find it, but I definitely remember reading that. I think a lot of druids still believe being reborn after death into the other world, while some just believe in reincarnation in our world.

Death and Rebirth
    While a Christian Druid may believe that the soul is only born once on Earth, most Druids adopt the belief of their ancient forebears that the soul undergoes a process of successive reincarnations – either always in human form, or in a variety of forms that might include trees and even rocks as well as animals.

Many Druids share the view reported by Philostratus of Tyana in the second century that the Celts believed that to be born in this world, we have to die in the Otherworld, and conversely, that when we die here, we are born into the Otherworld. For this reason, Druid funerals try to focus on the idea that the soul is experiencing a time of birth, even though we are experiencing that as their death to us.

http://algnc.org/druid-beliefs-and-values/
    " I am, therefore I want to f*** Jericho Barrons "