+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to the series - where is the romance?

Maniac

Default New to the series - where is the romance?

Well I am new to the series and Wikipedia has this as a Romantic Times nominee, but ther isn't really any romance. I guess that I am spoiled with some of the other writers like Laurell K. Hamilton, Keri Arthur, and Charlaine Harris to name a few. That a romance book should have some love story line. I like the books so far, I am half way through the second one. But miss the romance angle.

Without giving any details, is it to come later is the series? I always love it in a book when its about to happen, but I just can't see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by skyee77 View Post
    Well I am new to the series and Wikipedia has this as a Romantic Times nominee, but ther isn't really any romance. I guess that I am spoiled with some of the other writers like Laurell K. Hamilton, Keri Arthur, and Charlaine Harris to name a few. That a romance book should have some love story line. I like the books so far, I am half way through the second one. But miss the romance angle.

Without giving any details, is it to come later is the series? I always love it in a book when its about to happen, but I just can't see it coming.
    The series is not a "romance" series in the strictest sense of the meaning. Yes, there is romance, which will come later. But if you are looking for the "normal" romance series ...the Fever series isn't it. It's more Urban Fantasy with romance.

I would suggest going through some of the interviews that Karen has posted on her website ---> http://www.karenmoning.com/kmm/press...nterviews.html ...some give more of a glimpse into what she was going for and aiming for with the series. I would try to stay away from any of the interviews that correspond to the later books in the series from where you currently are ...you don't want spoilers to give away anything.

VP's best yet

Maniac

Thanks for the heads up. I do like what I have read so far, so I will stick the series out.

For me, it's the perfect amount. I mean, Barrons is not exactly the typical romance hero. He's way more layered and interesting than that. If you like romance, you might check out the Highlander series. I had a hard time getting through it because it's VERY romancy. I thought Fever had a perfect balance :) But yeah, it's definitely not a romance series. I wonder if something called Romance Times picked it up because KMM has written that genre in the past. It's absolutely, WAY more urban fantasy than romance.

Karen's been fighting the "romance" label associated with the Fever series since the beginning ...even the bookstores put the series in the romance section. I do think that there is romance in the series, it's just not what we are use to if you are use to reading the romance genre.

Quote Originally Posted by thevikingsgirl View Post
    For me, it's the perfect amount. I mean, Barrons is not exactly the typical romance hero. He's way more layered and interesting than that. If you like romance, you might check out the Highlander series. I had a hard time getting through it because it's VERY romancy. I thought Fever had a perfect balance :) But yeah, it's definitely not a romance series. I wonder if something called Romance Times picked it up because KMM has written that genre in the past. It's absolutely, WAY more urban fantasy than romance.
    I agree Barrons and V'lane are so much more complicated and interesting that "romance" is too narrow a label for them.

Time is the coin of your life.
    It is the only coin you have,
    and only you can determine how it will be spent,
    Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you- Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by thevikingsgirl View Post
    I like both series, sometimes I like apples and sometimes I like oranges (smile). I love each one for a different reason.

I like lots of different kinds of books too. Romance is one genre I'm not really nuts about. I enjoyed the Highlander series anyway though, I think in large part because I listened to the audio books and Phil's voice is heavenly.

Maniac

Wait til you get to book four, part one. Wow... I am new to this series as well and just started reading four yesterday. Jaw dropping that's for sure. haha.

Yes, I am a Mrs. Stiffler FeverChick's Avatar

The Fever Series is def not romance, but a great urban fantasy series. It does have some romance in it, but that is not the driving force of the series. The driving force is Mac herself and how she change and evolves. If you want a good romance, I would suggest Karen's Highlander series like others have pointed out.

+ Reply to Thread