+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What's next...

If you write it I'm reading it!
    Your fever series is what got me into reading urban fantasy and paranormal romance. Before that I was a big historical and time travel romance reader. I still thank my husband for rushing me in B&N. He handed me The Highlander's Touch and said, "Here get this one. Can we go now?"

Maniac

Default First time post - please be nice.. lol

I picked up the entire highlander series just by chance. I devoured the 7 books and then the fae series and that's been my life for the past 2 months (reading and rereading these books) that I'm at a loss for what to pick up next. All 12 books have become my ultimate favorite (obviously the last 4 highlanders more-so than the first 3 due to their direct ties to the fae series).

What do you recommend as maybe another author or series of books to read?

I still have so many unanswered questions such as - is the Fae king of the first highlander book the same unseelie king? How did Adam not know who Vlane was? Why would Jerricho Barrons have a son with him while conducting mercenary activities?

Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by carol ann View Post
    I would have been excited because EVERY SINGLE BOOK YOU WRITE IS OFF THE CHARTS OUT OF THIS WORLD AMAZING! I don't care what you write next. You've proven you can write love, horror, fantasy, grief, humor, all of the above and then some, and not just write it, YOU MAKE IT STICK! You make it REAL even though its not. Its only a story. But it FEELS real! So I don't care what you write next. Just please, please, please...

TELL US A STORY KAREN! COME ON! TELL US A STORY!!!!
    I think Carol ann says it best.Please Karen TELL US A STORY.

Let me first say that I have always loved your writing style.I basicly devoured the Highlander series, and recommended you to all my friends.In fact I actually got one of friends hooked on your books.If you had told us ahead of time that the next series would be in first person pov ,I dont doubt for a second that I would have voted for it, on the basis of your last series being very hard to put down.The Fever series was the same in many ways.Always left us wondering what was gonna happen next.Now I might be one of few or none actually who think this but I have to say the only thing that was any kind of a turn off during the series was the constant thinking Mac would do.Sometimes pages of it.It wasnt even the pov that was a turn off, or the fact that is was more than not her pov throughout the series.Mac is a constant thinker( well thats the impression I got anyway) and being so, tended to ramble about the same things over and over again, the same questions over and over again.It wasnt a killer in any way but something I can say I didn't enjoy whole heartedly throughout the entire series.I know Ill probably catch some heat over saying this out loud but Im just being honest.I have yet to read any kind of constructive criticism concerning the series.We all love your writing and of course want more!So many tantalizing characters.So I do hope that this doesnt get taken the wrong way,I am in NO way dissing the Fever series! If you were to write another series in the same manner I would read it, no doubt about it.Regardless of Macs constant thinking it was an excellent series to read.With all the " I dont care what it is Ill read it" that you receive concerning your books,that I will say you are very deserving of,I just thought an honest opinion that isn't completely "I love everything you write" you would help. =)

Maniac

Serena, I tend to agree with you. I don't really participate in these boards, but drop by from time to time to see the opinions expressed by the readers. I too thought there was too much rambling and "soul searching" by Mac, pages and pages it seemed to me. While I like to know the character, a lot of that could have been left out and we wouldn't have missed anything. I loved the series. I think Shadow Fever ended with a bang. Karen really had a few surprises, at least for me. As I said I don't spend a lot of time analyizing things. The last few chapters were very exciting and the outcome satisfying, if not leaving a "few" unanswered questions. I look forward to more books by Karen and the development of the next characters which I think will be Christopher, Ryodan and maybe Lor, together with Dani and a few of the other Sidhe-Seers most definitely Kat. So, on to the next chapter!

Maniac

The first time I finished Kiss of the Highlander I literally wept at the thought that Drustan is not real and there is no man alive as good as he is. While I would read anything you write...I have a soft spot for him and would love to hear more of his story. :)

Maniac

Hi all...

After raising my kids, reading every self-help book on the market, doing every kind of self improvement I could think of, including putting myself through school, I got a pretty stressful job. Then, I started reading romances because they're usually a pretty mindless escape, always with a happy ending. I read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and loved it. So, I specifically went looking for time travel. Eventually, I stumbled across Karen's Highlanders. I was hooked and loved every one of them. Then Darkfever came out.

I tried to resist. Truly I did. Not my kind of book. I'm not into urban fantasy. I'm not into dark stuff - Beasts and Fae. Ewwww. Get real. I have enough stress already. This is not happy stuff. I need to read happy before going to sleep. But wait. This is Karen. I have to at least open the book. So I did.

The first chapter...not so good. Like I said, not my kinda thing. But then - wow! I was SO hooked. Why? It wasn't dark. Dark would have been Mac getting dead in the first couple of chaptesr. That didn't happen. Instead, she met Barrons. I knew then she would win. No matter how difficult or twisted - she would win in the end. And then, I fell in love with him. Yeah, I know...me and most of the rest of you. Sorry. Couldn't help it. I saw him when I looked at him.

And mindless - yeah right. there is absolutely nothing mindless about this series. There are so many twists and turns and so many questions - not only until the end, but now still. And the forums... I log in every day, read all the new comments and, once in a while, I post one - like this one. The people who read these books are SO intelligent. All of you. The ideas that come out of the forums are amazing. And then Karen's commentaries. What she wrote when the series was finished, some of her thought processes - well, more heavy thinking for me there.

So...six years ago, would I have been excited about this story line? Honestly - no. But now - You could write on toilet paper sell it by the roll and I'd be the first in line to buy it.

I've bought and given away at least 20 copies of Darkfever and will likely end up doing at least 20 more. I have hard copies, paperbacks, audio on my ipod, and both CD's. I've had the same favorite song for 40 years. It has been replaced by Jericho Rain.
    Sorry for the length of this post. I just feel that when someone does something as well as Karen writes, well, it's important and they can't be told enough the positive impact they have. You give hope. And we all know about hope....it strengthens. You've made us all at least a little bit stronger.

So, am I obsessed? Sure am. i admit it freely. I beg you only one thing.....

KEEP WRITING! (Anything - it will be amazing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Keta View Post
    Hi all...

After raising my kids, reading every self-help book on the market, doing every kind of self improvement I could think of, including putting myself through school, I got a pretty stressful job. Then, I started reading romances because they're usually a pretty mindless escape, always with a happy ending. I read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and loved it. So, I specifically went looking for time travel. Eventually, I stumbled across Karen's Highlanders. I was hooked and loved every one of them. Then Darkfever came out.

I tried to resist. Truly I did. Not my kind of book. I'm not into urban fantasy. I'm not into dark stuff - Beasts and Fae. Ewwww. Get real. I have enough stress already. This is not happy stuff. I need to read happy before going to sleep. But wait. This is Karen. I have to at least open the book. So I did.

The first chapter...not so good. Like I said, not my kinda thing. But then - wow! I was SO hooked. Why? It wasn't dark. Dark would have been Mac getting dead in the first couple of chaptesr. That didn't happen. Instead, she met Barrons. I knew then she would win. No matter how difficult or twisted - she would win in the end. And then, I fell in love with him. Yeah, I know...me and most of the rest of you. Sorry. Couldn't help it. I saw him when I looked at him.

And mindless - yeah right. there is absolutely nothing mindless about this series. There are so many twists and turns and so many questions - not only until the end, but now still. And the forums... I log in every day, read all the new comments and, once in a while, I post one - like this one. The people who read these books are SO intelligent. All of you. The ideas that come out of the forums are amazing. And then Karen's commentaries. What she wrote when the series was finished, some of her thought processes - well, more heavy thinking for me there.

So...six years ago, would I have been excited about this story line? Honestly - no. But now - You could write on toilet paper sell it by the roll and I'd be the first in line to buy it.

I've bought and given away at least 20 copies of Darkfever and will likely end up doing at least 20 more. I have hard copies, paperbacks, audio on my ipod, and both CD's. I've had the same favorite song for 40 years. It has been replaced by Jericho Rain.
    Sorry for the length of this post. I just feel that when someone does something as well as Karen writes, well, it's important and they can't be told enough the positive impact they have. You give hope. And we all know about hope....it strengthens. You've made us all at least a little bit stronger.

So, am I obsessed? Sure am. i admit it freely. I beg you only one thing.....

KEEP WRITING! (Anything - it will be amazing.)
    Nice post Keta, I'm with you.

Maniac

I just finished ShadowFever, BRAVO!!!! But please continue with this story, too many questions left to answer!!!

Maniac

I am hooked on your method of writing. I think you could write a math book and have it go to the best sellers list! You write it and I will read it.

+ Reply to Thread