View Poll Results: When you read a book, do you...

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Act out" in your head, give voices and intonations do the characters

22 84.62%
  • Read aloud, but without intonations

0 0%
  • Read aloud, with intonations

1 3.85%
  • Huh, no, I don't, I just read

3 11.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When you read a book, do you...

Hooked on Fantasy

Wink When you read a book, do you...

read aloud, or aloud in your head?

I don't remember the context exactly, but I was speaking of the Fever books with my better half, telling him about how a given character sounded in my head or something like that, and he told me "I don't hear at all voices in my head, I just read". Ok, am I crazy or not? This poll is intended to validate or invalidate that theory!

Why do you think some people "act out" what they read in their head, with different voices and intonations, and other people do not? Do book lovers act out more, or less? i.e. does "acting" makes a book more enjoyable?

I think that may be why I don't like audio book that much, they're not the voices and intonations I chose for the characters...

I'm very curious about the answers!

It pretty much plays out like a movie in my head, each character has his/her own face, voice and mannerism. Dont read aloud though.. it's all in my head =P
    No more waiting for Shadowfever, now what do I do with myself? *dazed*
    My First Siggy!

LOL OMG I was just thinking about this last night as I finished up Shadowfever.
    I use to be a quiet reader, only hearing and seeing it inside my head. Then somewhere along the way I started reading under my breath but not actually acting it out. My ex would say I was a noisy reader. haha

Now I read almost out aloud and "act" it out, almost like an actor would with a script. Which is why I read much slower now. I use to zip right through.
    I don't know when that started happening or why. I think it might be that I pay too much attention to the little details of the construction and dialogue so I can mimic/learn from it, become a better writer myself.
    Might also have something to do with what one of journalism professors use to say about learning from what you read.

Icon20 It's all in my head...lol

I get absorbed into the book... lol. (no pun intended)

I tend to read it all in and see it with my minds eye. The better the writer the more this happens for me. Thank you Karen!!!

This happens quite a lot with both the Highlander and Fever series. I acutally LOVE the pics and audio books... for me JMO... it helps bring everything alive!

This is something that drives me absolutely bonkers. When I read, I get into the story. I live in it for however long I have it open. When there are parts I like, I will read them over, sometimes out loud in a whisper, just to appreciate it better, or maybe put myself in that character's shoes.

What bugs me is that no one around me seems to get it! My coworkers read for entertainment. They couldn't understand why I was so excited about Shadowfever coming out, they don't 'emote' about what they read, it's just a way to pass the time. My mom reads a lot... same thing. She couldn't tell you the names of the main characters in the last book she read; hardly recalls the plot of the one before. What's the point, then??

My dad asked me what the point was of the marathon reading sessions I did with Shadowfever. Really? I couldn't even begin to explain to him that once I get into a story there's no such thing as reading for 20 minutes at a time and then going to do something else. That's just ridiculous to me. Get with the program people lol I don't need you to read how I read or feel how I feel, just get off my case about it and let me do what I do. Oh, and stop bugging me when you see I'm reading!

*end rant*

I read and envision everone in my head. I don't read any parts aloud, but I do mimic their facial expressions if they are mentioned. I've noticed this about myself ALOT! It's rather annoying lol. I will shrug my shoulders a certain way if it's described in a book, wrinkle my nose, roll my eyes, etc. Maybe mouth the words if there is yelling, but I don't verbalize them.

Quote Originally Posted by seaellare View Post
    I read and envision everone in my head. I don't read any parts aloud, but I do mimic their facial expressions if they are mentioned. I've noticed this about myself ALOT! It's rather annoying lol. I will shrug my shoulders a certain way if it's described in a book, wrinkle my nose, roll my eyes, etc. Maybe mouth the words if there is yelling, but I don't verbalize them.
    I do that too!

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    I do that too!
    I feel so foolish when I catch myself doing it, too! I'm glad I usually read when/where no one is watching me! They'd have a field day hahaha! <<-------

I'm the one with boobs !! analisa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Breelia View Post
    This is something that drives me absolutely bonkers. When I read, I get into the story. I live in it for however long I have it open. When there are parts I like, I will read them over, sometimes out loud in a whisper, just to appreciate it better, or maybe put myself in that character's shoes.

What bugs me is that no one around me seems to get it! My coworkers read for entertainment. They couldn't understand why I was so excited about Shadowfever coming out, they don't 'emote' about what they read, it's just a way to pass the time. My mom reads a lot... same thing. She couldn't tell you the names of the main characters in the last book she read; hardly recalls the plot of the one before. What's the point, then??

My dad asked me what the point was of the marathon reading sessions I did with Shadowfever. Really? I couldn't even begin to explain to him that once I get into a story there's no such thing as reading for 20 minutes at a time and then going to do something else. That's just ridiculous to me. Get with the program people lol I don't need you to read how I read or feel how I feel, just get off my case about it and let me do what I do. Oh, and stop bugging me when you see I'm reading!

*end rant*
    Same here, makes me feel kinda lonely sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by seaellare View Post
    I usually can't help LOL at some scenes, or grinning, or eye rolling, or other physical responses to what I'm reading. But I don't plainly read out loud, the sound of my voice breaks the bubble, lol.

Beautiful art work by alicexz

Quote Originally Posted by analisa View Post
    I usually can't help LOL at some scenes, or grinning, or eye rolling, or other physical responses to what I'm reading. But I don't plainly read out loud, the sound of my voice breaks the bubble, lol.
    Ditto =)

+ Reply to Thread