+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who are the "OLD ONES" that Barrons thought about when he died and became immortal?

Icon21 Who are the "OLD ONES" that Barrons thought about when he died and became immortal?

After reading that hot new scene between Mac and Barrons (Thank you Karen!!)
    I reread Shadowfever and started wondering about a few things.

Who are the OLD ONES? Are they the Fae or the US or IDK. Who do you think they are?

Here are quotes from the Fever series:

SF
    I curse the heavens as I die. They curse me back. (oh oh shouldn't have done that )
    There is black. Only black. I wait for the light.
    The Old Ones say there is light when you die. They say to run for it. If it goes away, you drift the earth forever.
    No light comes to me.
    I wait all night in the dark.............................................. ..........
    I wait and wonder. The light will come. I wait and wait.
    The only light that comes for me is dawn.
    BF
    Row to Mac:
    We are the SS and we watch over Mankind. We protect them from the Old Ones. we stand between this world and all the others. We fight Death in its many guises and now more than ever we are the most important people on this earth.
    FF
    The elderly gentleman (who was a part of the UK) to Mac:
    who now confided in his lovely lilt that the headlines of the scandal rags were right; the Old Ones were returning.
    and when the Old Ones seemed to go quietly, we allowed ourselves to forget the Old Ways....
    Jayne to Mac:
    I opened my mind to the old legends. We Irish are steeped in them. I kept stumbling across lore that said the Old Ones couldn't abide iron.
    If they are the Fae then Barrons knew them before he became immortal.
    Is this why he wanted them to remember and be afraid?
    But whoever made Barrons plus 8 must have been more powerful than the Fae.
    And what did he mean by
    drift the EARTH?
    Is he really on earth?

Maniac

I have no idea BUT this is so great that you dug it out from the series! It might be a great background for another story. KMM has so much material for future stories!

Quote Originally Posted by tehmimo View Post
    I have no idea BUT this is so great that you dug it out from the series! It might be a great background for another story. KMM has so much material for future stories!
    Hi tehmimo
    I can't seem to stop from analyzing the possiblities. So much fun isn't it!
    Since all the books on my computer and ereader its really easy to search out words or phrases to see where a thought might lead. Usually to more questions.

Wonder where Karen will take us next.

I've always wondered about Old Ones, too. Here's another bit to add to the mystery.
    In Chapter 35 of Shadowfever, when all are gathered at Chester's to plan trapping the Sinsar Dubh with the four stones, Dageus calls Barrons "Old One". What ???
    Sometimes I want ALL the answers about Barrons & his men -- mostly I just try to enjoy how hot the mystery makes them.

I think, though I'm not 100% sure, that referring the the 'Old Ones' but not implying Barrons or his 8, it's a term for the Fae.
    When applied to Barrons, I have no idea. Maybe it's just calling him an old man...?

well the Keltar called Adam an old one too I think that's a term they use for anyone/thing older than they are.

As for Barrons when I read that at the time I thought he was referring to "his" old ones as in his elders (tribal or otherwise) but it's never clearly stated anywhere that I can recall

Time is the coin of your life.
    It is the only coin you have,
    and only you can determine how it will be spent,
    Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you- Carl Sandburg

Thanks didn't check the Highlander books.

In IH Drustan and Dageus both call Adam "Old One" , and Drustan also says in greeting "The Keltar bid you welcom, Tauatha De. The Old Ones are e'er welcome in our home".
    It seems like it means the Fae in this book.

But on the internet the "Old Ones" also could stand for some ancient god/s.
    And in Buffy I believe they are considered Demons.

The God of the Draghar ("an ancient forbidden primitive god spawned in the earliest mists of Gaea".) killed JB when he tried to help with the Halloween ritual. Why did it do that?

Great discussion!

With all the quotes you pulled out, I definitely think the Old Ones are the Fae for sure. The Fae are ridiculously old, and we shouldn't forget how humans over the years made sense of things. Long, long ago, humans would've been much more serious about anything pertaining to magick, and would have treated them like gods. The Fae are ancient, and have godlike powers.

Not to mention the Fae, superiority complex or not, seemed to totally like to role play LOL.

I think it's certain that Barrons knew of the Fae in his first lifetime, before he became one of the Damned.

I've searched all Highlander & Fever books -- everytime Old One is used with capital "O's", it definitely refers to Fae. In Shadowfever, when Dageus says it to Barrons, it's Old One, not old one.
    Are we certain that Barrons wasn't Fae at one time then renounced, like Adam?
    It would explain why he can see the Fae - I don't think we ever got an explanation on that.

lots of interesting ideas here! I tried to figure out the same thing a while back and it almost drove me nuts . But I def think whatever barrons is existed separate from the fae since he does go back to terrorize them so that they wont forget what he and his kind are capable of. Then of course one has to ask what the heck do you have to be to claim you existed before creation and will exist after everything is gone.....stumped but glad to see im not the only one interested
    "Bring that sweet ass over here and I'll show you what God made women and well-hung Scotsmen for."
    -- Christian Mackeltar (Shadowfever)

+ Reply to Thread