> > >

Thread: More Barrons: What IS it he can do? and Who was Fiona?

Maniac

Icon21 More Barrons: What IS it he can do? and Who was Fiona?

Now, I already hit on the question, what can he do to Mac that may "change" her? This one is about Fiona, and it may belong in the Darkfever catagory, but I'll post it here:
    (btw, I'm doing my umpteenth reread of the series, and now little things are sticking out)

When Mac eavesdrops on Fio and Barrons through the door, she hears them talking about her and Fiona is telling Barrons to drop it with Mac, blah blah and that Barrons could be a good guy if he wanted to be. Barrons shuts her up ("take a good LOOK at who I am")and there's a protracted silence, a pained little gasp, and more silence. Then Fio is all obedient ("yes, Jericho, whatever you wish")

What did he do? Bite her? This was way back when we thought Barrons might have been a vampire, remember.

We don't hear him voice her. Can he go into her head like he did Mac, but scramble her brains to make her obey?

Lor called Fiona a doormat. Is it because she was so easily manipulated? "Sweet and faithful" is what Barrons called her. He didn't respect her, but used her for sex, on occasion, and to run his bookstore. It probably drove her nuts to have to procure clothes and supplies for Mac.

Fiona also said, in the White Mansion, that Barrons "should have let me die". Just where did Barrons find her? Why did he save her? Could she see the Fae?

It's never mentioned whether or not she was a sidhe-seer. She KNEW of them, and of the sidhe-seers, but WAS she one? An unmentioned escapee from the night the Sinsar-Dubh escaped from the abbey? Her age would have been correct.

Why didn't she earn the privilege of a mercy-killing from Barrons when she'd been skinned? There in the alley, he could have just popped her head off, like Barrons did with Malluce, or K'Vruck did with Darroc (beheading seems to circumvent the whole unseelie eating/healing thing). Why let her suffer?

All these little things are popping up now. Feedback?

Maniac

I think the questions you ask are really similar to the ones I was thinking about a few weeks ago. I don't have answers to any of them, but I just reread Darkfever again and have been thinking about that scene b/t Barrons and Fiona. The fact that she gasps makes me think that he bit her and that he was somehow able to control her with that. Or perhaps he let her drink from him and she had become addicted to whatever was in his blood and that made her obey? I kind of don't think that this is what happened though, as I don't see Barron's offering his blood to Fiona.

We often see Barrons nestle his face in Mac's neck, which suggests that he wants to drink from her. While Barrons isn't a vampire, perhaps whatever he is has some qualities of a vampire? I think that blood drinking fits in there somewhere, as it seemed to be a big deal that Mac had fed him her blood. This is also how his son fed from Mac, although he ended up tearing her neck as he wasn't able to control himself.

There are so many little things that make me curious about Fiona's character. I hope that we learn more about her history with Barrons in future books.

--Jody
    Last edited by skeezixx; 10-31-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac Lung View Post
    Now, I already hit on the question, what can he do to Mac that may "change" her? This one is about Fiona, and it may belong in the Darkfever catagory, but I'll post it here:
    (btw, I'm doing my umpteenth reread of the series, and now little things are sticking out)

When Mac eavesdrops on Fio and Barrons through the door, she hears them talking about her and Fiona is telling Barrons to drop it with Mac, blah blah and that Barrons could be a good guy if he wanted to be. Barrons shuts her up ("take a good LOOK at who I am")and there's a protracted silence, a pained little gasp, and more silence. Then Fio is all obedient ("yes, Jericho, whatever you wish")

What did he do? Bite her? This was way back when we thought Barrons might have been a vampire, remember.
    What if he just let her "see" inside his head at one of his ruthless killing sprees like when he let mac in his head to see a few things. Then voiced her afterwards?

Fiona also said, in the White Mansion, that Barrons "should have let me die". Just where did Barrons find her? Why did he save her? Could she see the Fae?
    Good question. i think Fio new some things that Barrons needed info on, which would make me think she had something at one time to do with the Fae. Maybe she was origanaly the princess of V'lanes that he killed but some how turned her human? Far stretch I know.

Somewhere in the mist o' time
    a Fever rages in a Highlander "mine"~~
    Dual breath in a Druid born
    An Immortal lad of a Keltar lore~~
    Souls of the present meet the soul of past
    No canceling out of the sexy extra large Keltar lad~~
    Two of his kind, one stays behind
    in the past and in a present kin~~
    I'm trying to find A missing Keltar "Mine"
    Oh Dageus wherefor are though my friend?

I would say use the content of the sentence.

He said "SEE", so he let her "see" something. Either his form or what he is capable of. Either way it was action that made Fiona gasp (which I believe, is the more important aspect as it shows Fiona knows something about Barrons (at that point in the story) that further increases Barrons's mystique and Mac's intrigue).

Fiona's response afterwards was very agreeable to the point Mac commented on it. Which means Fiona sounded off - an off sounding person usually means "influence" of some sort.

I chalk that scene up to "fill in the blanks" moment where we will never really get an answer we are satisfied with because its up to you make an interpretations (another strategy to UP the overall mystery of it all).

Why didn't he mercy kill Fiona? Because she betrayed Barrons when she tried to kill Mac. Whatever soft spot he had for her harden pretty fast then.

*Created by mcmissa*

More interesting questions that I need time to ponder .. I always did wonder how Fio ended up with Barrons - I mean yeah she was his doormat but she had to have had something for him to share bits of himself with her