> > >
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was Barrons doing at the end of BF?

Maniac

Default What was Barrons doing at the end of BF?

Hi everyone! I haven't been around for some time now, but I'm re-reading the whole Fever series, and I'm at the end of Bloodfever. And thoroughly enjoying it, even at the third time...
    But, this is my first re-read since Shadowfever!
    I'm sure there is a thread answering my question somewhere in the forum but I can't seem to find it... :(

Here is my question...
    At the end of Bloodfever, when Mac is dying, or about to, he takes her into his arms, bury his face into her neck, after telling her that it was never what he wanted, but he has no choice. I suggested to friends of mine that maybe, at this moment, he was about to try and do something to her, like, transform her or something. Noone agreed with me.
    What do you think? Did he really intend to transform her, or do something to her to save her life that he knew she would hate? Or was he just apologizing for the way her life had turned out?
    If aught must be lost, 'twill be my honor for yours.
    If one must be forsaken, 'twill be my soul for yours.
    If death should come anon, 'twill be my life for yours.
    I am Given.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky28 View Post
    I thought that Barrons made the changing by cursing the havens after his son died.
    Barrons didn't change anyone...we've seen nothing to show that he or any of the others like him have that ability. I still wonder if it can be passed on if they mate...(yeah, still going with my theory that Ryo's interest in Dani involves him recognizing similarities between their kind and her abilities, suggesting maybe someone along the line may have mated with a sidhe seer and Dani is the result...I know, KMM will probably blow that theory out of the water, but I still like it!)

Excerpt from Chapter 43:

I'm Barrons, and I'm on my knees in the sand.
    The wind is kicking up; the storm comes.
    I was stupid, so stupid.

<skip>

It all looks so different now that it's too late. What a grand f*king joke on me. I should never have come here. This is one battle-for-hire I should never have taken.
    I hold my son and I weep.
    They sky opens, letting the storm free. Sand comes, so thick it turns day into night.
    One by one, my men fall around me.
    I curse the heavens as I die. They curse me back.

<skip>

No light comes to me.
    I wait all night in the dark.
    I'm dead yet I can feel the desert beneath my corpse...

<skip>

The only light that comes for me is dawn.
    I stand up, and my men stand up and we stare uneasily at one another.
    Then my son stands up and I don't care. I spare no thought for the strange night that shouldn't have been. The universe is a mystery. The gods are fickle. I am and he is and that is enough.
    Last edited by KJTVH; 03-01-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJTVH View Post
    Barrons didn't change anyone...we've seen nothing to show that he or any of the others like him have that ability. I still wonder if it can be passed on if they mate...(yeah, still going with my theory that Ryo's interest in Dani involves him recognizing similarities between their kind and her abilities, suggesting maybe someone along the line may have mated with a sidhe seer and Dani is the result...I know, KMM will probably blow that theory out of the water, but I still like it!)
    thanks KJTVH!!!

I keep hoping that Dani will forget her "crush" and moved onto a certain scarred male

<skip>

It all looks so different now that it's too late. What a grand f*king joke on me. I should never have come here. This is one battle-for-hire I should never have taken.
    I hold my son and I weep.
    They sky opens, letting the storm free. Sand comes, so thick it turns day into night.
    One by one, my men fall around me.
    I curse the heavens as I die. They curse me back.
    I don't get it...
    If Barrons is a "battle for hire" person, why bring your young son with you?
    Barrons doesn't seem to me to be the person to "take a change" with anything and bringing his young son to a battle is to me, taking a huge chance of something happeneing to him.
    So did any of the others do the same? Bring family with them to the battle?
    These questions are why i still beleive Dani is one of them and just doesn't realize it yet and Ryodan has a sneeky suspition as to who she realy is.
    Then again it sounds to much like the Queen placing people where she needs them most that will do her the most good in the end. Putting Barrons in the situation with his men and son brought him incontact with Mackayla and the McKeltars to help her or at least try to anyways...lol...and around and around we go...

Somewhere in the mist o' time
    a Fever rages in a Highlander "mine"~~
    Dual breath in a Druid born
    An Immortal lad of a Keltar lore~~
    Souls of the present meet the soul of past
    No canceling out of the sexy extra large Keltar lad~~
    Two of his kind, one stays behind
    in the past and in a present kin~~
    I'm trying to find A missing Keltar "Mine"
    Oh Dageus wherefor are though my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by aprilssix View Post
    I don't get it...
    If Barrons is a "battle for hire" person, why bring your young son with you?
    Barrons doesn't seem to me to be the person to "take a change" with anything and bringing his young son to a battle is to me, taking a huge chance of something happeneing to him.
    So did any of the others do the same? Bring family with them to the battle?
    These questions are why i still beleive Dani is one of them and just doesn't realize it yet and Ryodan has a sneeky suspition as to who she realy is.
    Then again it sounds to much like the Queen placing people where she needs them most that will do her the most good in the end. Putting Barrons in the situation with his men and son brought him incontact with Mackayla and the McKeltars to help her or at least try to anyways...lol...and around and around we go...
    Consider that in may medieval and earlier societies, a son as young as 7 would have been the equivalent of a page, learning to be a warrior, so it would have been natural for the son to be there. Some ancient societies (Sparta comes to mind) I think may have started even younger, totally immersing sons in a 'male battle culture' thinking that staying with their mothers would make them weak. There is no mention of whether any of the others brought sons along, or if they have sons. I suspect that Barrons was their leader, and thus he may have had 'priviledges of rank' which included being able to support a family where others did not -- just a thought, nothing KMM says supports or discounts that theory. :-)

I agree that the Queen has a sneaky way of positioning people, so no telling there!

Maniac

I think they all turned at the same time too!

Consider that in may medieval and earlier societies, a son as young as 7 would have been the equivalent of a page, learning to be a warrior, so it would have been natural for the son to be there. Some ancient societies (Sparta comes to mind) I think may have started even younger, totally immersing sons in a 'male battle culture' thinking that staying with their mothers would make them weak. There is no mention of whether any of the others brought sons along, or if they have sons. I suspect that Barrons was their leader, and thus he may have had 'priviledges of rank' which included being able to support a family where others did not -- just a thought, nothing KMM says supports or discounts that theory. :-)

I agree that the Queen has a sneaky way of positioning people, so no telling there!
    That is so sad but probably true. thanks...

I agree with this I don't think he changed anyone I think they changed because of something they did on their last job so to speak. Like going for something they shouldn't have and the consequences of their previous actions caused them all to turn (i.e. maybe staying in that dessert that night when they shouldn't have). As to why the son was there I don't really grasp. I can think of two things there, either the son possibly was training in the ways of his father and got caught in the mess they all got into or perhaps the job could of had something that would help the son somehow with something else. As far as Dani and Ryo no clue but i assume we will see with Dani books to come out next.
    Reply to KJVIH

Quote Originally Posted by CÚline View Post
    Hi everyone! I haven't been around for some time now, but I'm re-reading the whole Fever series, and I'm at the end of Bloodfever. And thoroughly enjoying it, even at the third time...
    But, this is my first re-read since Shadowfever!
    I'm sure there is a thread answering my question somewhere in the forum but I can't seem to find it... :(

Here is my question...
    At the end of Bloodfever, when Mac is dying, or about to, he takes her into his arms, bury his face into her neck, after telling her that it was never what he wanted, but he has no choice. I suggested to friends of mine that maybe, at this moment, he was about to try and do something to her, like, transform her or something. Noone agreed with me.
    What do you think? Did he really intend to transform her, or do something to her to save her life that he knew she would hate? Or was he just apologizing for the way her life had turned out?

As far as that goes I think he might have of fallen for her and thinking she should get better then him but at the same time he would do anything to bring her back if he could. I think he was blaming himself for what was happening and preparing for the consequences of what was to come. Then again who knows I probably am totally off becuase this is Barrons and hell if he'll be understood.