+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long did your kindle last?

Hooked on Fantasy

Default How long did your kindle last?

Mine died a few months ago, I didn't want to call because I expected some foreing call center and English's my second language... anyway, I bought it on February 20th and it died last spring, so it lasted 1 1/4 year... It's frozen. Nothing to do about it.

My BF called tonight (no foreign call center... oops) and they offered to give me a new Kindle 3G (Touch... I had a Kindle 3) for $100.

Not sure I want one. I L-O-V-E-D my Kindle, I could read endless free books, and buy some cheap books from emerging authors, but... My Kindle cost me $12 a month over 15 months. The price of one paperback + taxes. Still a good deal, because I read more free books than just 1 a month. And I enjoyed the fact I could bring it with me.

But I'm going to be a stay at home mom very soon, with easy access to my own books, and I'm sure trips to the library will be appreciated It's tiny, but they have both French and English books, I'm sure I can find stuff to read. And I don't need books to be that mobile, since I won't be taking the bus anymore.

But then again... I just loved my Kindle. So what should I do? Did yours last longer than mine? I didn't want a cover because I'd heard they sometimes would cause static and break it... Maybe I should have gotten one anyway?

I'm confused... I hope there's still a few people here to help with my dilemma!

Thanks!

I have had my Kindle since Christmas of 2010. I don't use it for my reading all of the time--sometimes I still read physical books from the library or that I have bought. Maybe you used yours more often but it sure seems like it should have lasted longer than that. You said that it was frozen. Have you tried doing a hard restart where you hold the power switch for 30 seconds then let it sit and reboot? I would probably plug it into the charger before doing this since it uses up a lot of power. Did customer service ask if you had done this?

You could always get Kindle for PC and read the books on your computer. That way you would still have access to the good book deals but you wouldn't have to spend money on a Kindle. If you do decide to replace your Kindle, I would definitely get a cover. It's just too easy to damage it by dropping it or having something fall on it. I've never heard of a static problem related to covers. I personally don't really care for the official Amazon Kindle cover that attaches by prongs to the Kindle. That seems like it could easily cause a problem, but there are a lot of low priced, good covers out there.

Congratulations on becoming a stay-at-home mom and good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by Stapes; 08-03-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    December was Christian-he knows naughty or nice.
    January was Grimm with his eyes of blue ice.
    Cian was November-when the Dark Glass set him free.
    Drustan in February made us think cherry tree.
    Dageus is March—Why, do you say?
    March has “Lips Appreciation” and “I’m in Control” day.
    Multiple Personalities-he was possessed by 13.
    When it comes to sacrifice-I’d say his was supreme.
    Return Borrowed Books week makes me think Gaulish Ghost.
    Yes, I would say March suits Dageus the most!

I've had mine for nearly two years now and never had a lick of trouble with it. Amazon Customer Service is usually really great to work with. I think I would call them again and just see what they say. It wouldn't hurt to try what Stapes suggested either - I mean if it doesn't work, it can't hurt it, right.

I travel with my Kindle more than I use it at home, so if I were staying at home, I don't know that I would find the investment worth it, but it really depends on what/how you use your Kindle.
    A Viking Princess creation
    Founding Trinity of the Highland Honey Club
    "Oh great woman of wonder, wearer of the overflowing bodice and blue underwear, please bless us with your presence!"
    Maniac Member #28

Hooked on Fantasy

Thanks.Yes, of course, I tried to reboot it, any number of seconds (I tried 10, 20, 30, 60, name it). At first, when it started to fail, it was still able to reboot but the memory started to be affected, it wouldn't remember which page I was on, and at one time it destroyed my collections... And it would always reboot on its own, and then freeze... And it would become harder and harder to reboot it and use it.

And now it doesn't do anything at all.

The lady in CS asked whether we tried it, of course we did, and she didn't have any other solutions. I'm so disappointed...

I find it odd that they're willing to give me a rebate on a new one (would it be new? I somehow doubt it...), but won't acknowledge that 15 months is a ridiculous lifetime... Why do they give a rebate? it sounds contradictory...

I'M glad that yours did last longer... I'll really have to think about it... I don't know, I really thought that it would last longer, I never expected that. And it didn't stopped working after I dropped it or something. It just happened...

Thanks for your replies, I guess I need to think about it!

I don't have a Kindle (generic tablet) but my library does lend e-books. And, living in Ohio, I have access to the state library also for e-books. I know it is sometimes hard to get out of the house to get to the library with a little one, so it would be nice to be able to check out a book without ever leaving the house. If your library offers e-books you may want to get that new one.
    “A piece of writing is a trap, and the best kind. A book, you see, is the only kind of trap that keeps its captive — which is knowledge — alive forever. The more books you have, the more traps, then the better chance of capturing some particular, elusive, shining beast — one that might otherwise die unseen.”
    — Tad Williams, The Dragonbone Chair

Hooked on Fantasy

New question : if I want a new one... Kindle Touch or keyboard? It seems both are available? I thought my Kindle with keyboard was fine, but is the touch one better?

i have a kindle keyboard and love it as a stay at home mom cuz i can't hold regular books anymore due to hand problems. my daughter has a kindle too (the $79 dollar one - i can't remember which one it is) but 2 of her friends have the kindle touch and are not fond the the touchscreen on theirs. according the the kids the screen can be really touchy too the point that if you accidently touch while reading it will turn the page OR they can't get it turn at all.
    Believe in the unbelievable

+ Reply to Thread