+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: codependant dog??

Default codependant dog??

have any of you ever had a dog that will not let you out of it's site for any reason? my dog Guiseppe is almost glued closer than my shadow. if i go somewhere he follows. if im sitting down but it looks like i might even think about getting up he is there. when i wont let him in the restroom with me he actually tips his head sideways and looks under the door. when i take him to potty and he wants to wander off all i have to do is say " im leaving you guiseppe" and he runs yelping back to me like someone has kicked him. i got him as a puppy and he was never abused or anything. my friend has Guiseppes brother and she says that her dog is almost as bad. anybody have any idea what is up with my silly dog? is there really such of a thing as a codependant dog?
    Last edited by irelandcastillo; 02-28-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Character Inspired Soaps and Candles
    www.lafaepetite.com

Debbie H

I've never had a dog do like that. My golden is my companion and sleeps at my feet or the couch LOL where ever she is comfy. Sounds like a Mac's Man question?

My last dog didn't do alot of those things but she did suffer from separation anxiety. I couldn't leave her at home for a five miniute walk to the corner store without her having a problem.

Some dogs are like that, but they can be trained to be more independent. Your puppy sounds like the lap dog my Mom wishes she had. :p

Quote Originally Posted by irelandcastillo View Post
    have any of you ever had a dog that will not let you out of it's site for any reason? my dog Guiseppe is almost glued closer than my shadow. if i go somewhere he follows. if im sitting down but it looks like i might even think about getting up he is there. when i wont let him in the restroom with me he actually tips his head sideways and looks under the door. when i take him to potty and he wants to wander off all i have to do is say " im leaving you guiseppe" and he runs yelping back to me like someone has kicked him. i got him as a puppy and he was never abused or anything. my friend has Guiseppes brother and she says that her dog is almost as bad. anybody have any idea what is up with my silly dog? is there really such of a thing as a codependant dog?
    :D it's love!
    I'm back and loving the new look. a little torn as I'm finding myself more behind the scenes rather then posting lol.

Yes Yes Yes! Our Dog is the same way, and when we leave the house we can hear him yelping and barking while we are getting in the truck. He is 1 and 1/2 years old now and we have had him since he was 3 months old. Puzzle is his name and he is a 5 1/2 pound Shih Tzu.

Siggy by the talented VP

Smile you are not alone

dont feel bad, my best friend has this dog who is part dobie and part german shepard and he is just as needy , he hasnt been abused or anything he's just super needy and she cant go anywhere without him jumping up right behind her and walking in front of her, well he's been that way his whole life and theres nothing to change it so just know youll always be loved no matter what
    scyberry

My siamese cat use to be like that but then she grew out of it, I guess she just got tired of me.

But yeah, like the others have mentioned you can get him trained to be more independent.

Maniac

Seperation anxiety is more common in dogs than you would think, but there are ways to treat it. As for him following you everywhere, it's probably not anything to worry about. Dogs are pack animals and the pack means safety and comfort. So it is natural for him to want to be where ever you are. If it is a problem because he is under foot so much, you can teach him to go lie down somewhere, like a bed or kennel. That gives him his own "den" and added security when you are in the room or moving around the house.

Good luck, and feel free to PM if you want me to dig up my Animal Behavior class notes for anything specific.

Mega Maniac

yes, I have a dog who seems obsessed with me so I have been getting my oldest son to play and take care of the dog more. it is slowly working.

Snow Angel

+ Reply to Thread