+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Samhain

Default Samhain

I know it's still a few months away but anyone have plans for Halloween?
    Anyone dressing up?
    I Looooove Halloween but I rarely ever get to do anything because I'm working or stuck doing school work.
    This year I wanna do something Halloween worthy.
    Something very cliche. lol
    I was thinking about getting some friends together and maybe dressing up, go do something ghost hunting, get my palms read or tarot reading done and then maybe a seance (maybe) and finish it off with a horror flick.

I love Halloween.. one of my favourite holidays!!!!
    I get my house so done up that some of the kids get scared lol
    I also dress up each year whether for work/togive out candy or to go out toa party! I love it....I was a pirate wench last year and this year I want to be pocohantas or Princess Jasmine hehe I'll never grow up so move over Peter Pan!!

Also we are going on a haunted Mississauga (city where I live) tour!! I can't wait!
    Happy Holidays!!

Oh! Liberty, that's sounds like fun! I hope you do it this year and let us know how it went. Ranj, I love that you have the spirit still. Good for you! And I must say, you're a very lovely pirate wench! I was one 2 years ago...sewed the outfits for me, my dh and another couple, one week before halloween! Talk about being slave work! I felt like one of Kathy Lee Giffords child laborers! But it was all worth it! :D
    You say you want some soaps, lotions and candles that smell like your favorite man or woman??? www.solocreations.ecrater.com

A tiny little town of about 750 people in Central Indiana

Default Samhain

Halloween is when the veil between worlds is supposed to be thinnest. Its usually a time to reconnect with ancestors. Carved Pumpkins are set out on porches to not only "scare away" baneful spirits but to light the way for the dead to go along their path to whereever they are going. Apples are a traditional feasting food. Apple pie. Perfect apples are set out for fairies as offerings. All night bonfires are traditional too with dancing. Its the new year in some cultures and a time for inner reflection like we do at new years eve, that is where the "talking with the dead" comes in. Since the veil is thin and we are reflecting some people seek out their relatives for advice on the coming year. Some people leave flowers or offerings of love on the graves of their loved ones as well as a time to remember them. Skeletons are traditionally also used to celebrate and remember the lives of dead one, that comes from spanish traditions. I hope this helps? :) Myself I will be hopefully celebrating a little ritual or two in scotland among the stones with some friends. Its kind of a somber holiday, although if I'm at home I enjoy dressing up all witchy ( the one time of year you can get away with it !!! lol) and passing out candy. Although alot of my friends who are wiccan and such don't celebrate by handing out candy or dressing up witchy, its thought in some circles to be rude to do so as a real witch because you are playing into the bad vibe of wicked witch but I believe I don't give a sh*t. It is what YOU make it I think? For me its a time to celebrate who I am on the inside that I can't tell the world without fear. I can revel in it a little for that short time lol Anyways enough chatter. HOPE ITS WONDERFUL for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebby View Post
    Halloween is when the veil between worlds is supposed to be thinnest. Its usually a time to reconnect with ancestors. Carved Pumpkins are set out on porches to not only "scare away" baneful spirits but to light the way for the dead to go along their path to whereever they are going. Apples are a traditional feasting food. Apple pie. Perfect apples are set out for fairies as offerings. All night bonfires are traditional too with dancing. Its the new year in some cultures and a time for inner reflection like we do at new years eve, that is where the "talking with the dead" comes in. Since the veil is thin and we are reflecting some people seek out their relatives for advice on the coming year. Some people leave flowers or offerings of love on the graves of their loved ones as well as a time to remember them. Skeletons are traditionally also used to celebrate and remember the lives of dead one, that comes from spanish traditions. I hope this helps? :) Myself I will be hopefully celebrating a little ritual or two in scotland among the stones with some friends. Its kind of a somber holiday, although if I'm at home I enjoy dressing up all witchy ( the one time of year you can get away with it !!! lol) and passing out candy. Although alot of my friends who are wiccan and such don't celebrate by handing out candy or dressing up witchy, its thought in some circles to be rude to do so as a real witch because you are playing into the bad vibe of wicked witch but I believe I don't give a sh*t. It is what YOU make it I think? For me its a time to celebrate who I am on the inside that I can't tell the world without fear. I can revel in it a little for that short time lol Anyways enough chatter. HOPE ITS WONDERFUL for everyone!

Thanks for the info. :)
    I know what you mean, I have a lot of wiccan and pagan friends. I also frequent a pagan and spiritual board and it seems like a 50/50 thing on dressing up as a witch for Halloween, some do it some don't. It's all in good fun and that's the point right? To have fun and enjoy the celebration.

I haven't decided on my costume yet. I can't decide between a flight attendant (the cute kind with the little hats), little red riding hood, a gypsy or a Greek goddess.
    Last edited by Liberty; 08-11-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Hi Liberty! I love Halloween! I especially enjoy the looks on my girls' faces when they get all excited and dressed up. I love walking around the neighborhood w/ my DH and girls at night, the girls just love getting candy!
    Moning Maniac#132

+ Reply to Thread