+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my dog just got her period - advice? lol

Default my dog just got her period - advice? lol

my dog just got her period. my roommate just called to tell me freaking out about what to do lol... i'll be bringing home some puppy pampers today after work of course but does anyone else have any advice on how to handle this???

i know to keep her completely away from any boy doggies. she only goes out to go potty on the leash anyway so i instructed the roommate not to let her out of his sight but is there anything more to be done? i mean, will she get cramps or something like human women do???

how much blood can i expect? is she going to ruin the carpet and the couches before i even get home with the doggie pampers??????

Oh wow, its been so long since my dog went into heat. I know that its said there supposed to go through it once (since thats healthy). But if you don't want to breed the dog to get them fix after it. With that said I copied this from a dog website:

1. What is heat?

Heat is more properly called the estrous cycle. During this cycle, female dogs may get pregnant. Itís equivalent to human menstruation.

2. What are the symptoms?

Females bleed from the vagina sometimes with swelling of the vulva and increased urination. Donít expect bleeding comparable to a human female.

For small dogs, itís usually not much and you may need to pay close attention to your puppy to identify her first cycle. Other than the bleeding, the most noticeable symptom may be
    male dogs hanging around your house.

3. When does a dog come into heat?

The average female dog has her first cycle about six months of age. A few dogs start earlier and few dogs later, even as late as 14-months.

If you have a new female puppy, you should watch her and note when she has her first cycle. If sheís 14-months old and still hasn'tít been in heat, you should take her to a veterinarian.

4. How long does the heat cycle last?

The average is three weeks or 21-days. In some dogs, it lasts only two weeks while others go four weeks.

5. How often will she be in heat?

Most female dogs have regular cycles usually every six to eight months. Itís quite typical to be in heat twice a year.

6. When can she get pregnant?

She can get pregnant only when in heat. Some breeders
    test for progesterone levels to identify the most fertile days but the rule-of-thumb is that the most fertile days are 11-15 of her cycle.

Note Ė when sheís in heat, the average dog will permit any male
    dog to mount her. Few females, however, will accept a male when
    theyíre not in heat.

7. Can she get pregnant her first cycle?

Yes. However, responsible breeders generally would not breed a dog that early. For one thing, you need to do genetic testing and some serious problems such as hip conditions do not show up until a dog is approximately 2-years of age.

8. Can I take her on walks during this cycle?

Yes with care. She has no problem with the exercise but sheís a walking magnet for male dogs.

Even the best trained and behaved female dog will succumb to hormones. You canít trust her off a leash or out of your control. Never let her outside by herself even in a fenced yard if there is any possibility of male dogs nearby.

For walks, if there are male dogs in your neighborhood, itís a good idea to take your dog in your car and drive to a remote area. Take her for the walk there and drive back home. Otherwise, the scent of her urine and vaginal discharge will blaze a trail to your home.

9. When I can have her spayed?

The answer to that one has changed continually over the
    25-years Iíve been in the dog business. People used to be told to let their dog go through at least one cycle or let them have one litter.

Today, veterinarians are doing it much earlier. Some vets spay as early as 6-weeks of age! Talk to your veterinarian about your dog and the vetís preferences. The state of veterinary medicine also is much improved over the past 25-years.

10. If I donít have her spayed, will she go through menopause.

No. Her fertility may decline but she will not go through menopause comparable to a humanís. She wonít lose her ability to become pregnant even as a senior so if you donít want to her to have any (or more) litters, she must be spayed.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?10-Questio...-Heat&id=27237

I don't know if that answers any of your questions.

.:: Banner and avatar made by me :: Blinkie made by Goldie ::
    .::Adam Black fangirl :: Dageus MacKeltar fangirl :: Book lover ::.

that does help... i'm gonna go home for lunch and see about picking up some 'puppy pampers' i guess... that's what people at work are telling me but it says in the above that if she's a small dog, she might not bleed that much.

she's under 25lbs... any ideas how much she would bleed? i mean, is she gonna ruin the carpet and the couches? ugh. this is awful!

Deus nobiscum quis contra Conoga's Avatar

lol at least she isnt an 80lb bulldog!! when Kaydee went into heat oh man it was a first class mess!
    during those times she was confined to the kitchen - tile floors - until it was over... everday i was having to mop and wipe down the cabinet doors....... ewwww!!

as far as amount of blood goes.. probably not a lot. try the diapers but dont be surprised if she chews on them.
    does she have a crate? if she doesnt mind staying in there you could confine her to that until the bleeding has stopped.

really though Sorceress gave the best advice, if you dont intend on breeding her then it would be easier and safer for her in the long run to have her spayed.
    not to get preachy but even though she's a little dog and she's only out on leash, she still has a high risk of getting PG. or at the very least attacked and harassed while out walking with you. male dogs are horrible when there is a bitch in heat. i had one try to jump through my living room window... and kept clawing at the doors, running from the front to back door..... and when i was a little kid - lower income family, we couldnt afford the surgery - when we would leave for work and school in the morning you could see all the boy dogs waiting down at the end of the road for us to leave so they could come visit.. and female dogs arent any easier... they're just as determined as the boys are. and if the boy is bigger than her, even by a little, you run the risk of a dangerous birth. half of her is from a breed that cant birth naturally because their heads are too large. they usually have to have C-sections.

lol sorry i dont wanna sound like i'm psycho about spaying and neutering every cat and dog in the world, but i am a psycho about planning, researching and responsibly breeding animals. there are states trying to pass laws that will take away your choices in the matter. it will be mandatory to have it done... and all because people just let their animals breed for the hell of it.
    not saying you're doing that. just things to think about.

anyway it shouldnt be too bad an ordeal to go through, but be VERY careful!! even if she isnt bleeding she can still pregnant around that time. so no offleash dog parks for you guys for a while! at least not with other dogs or without the proper protection!

i absolutely planned to get sophie spayed. i grew up with male dogs and my father was completely anti-neuter (i think because he equated his dogs to his sons and the idea of chopping off the, er, uh, well you know, horrified him and he took it personally lol) but female dogs are way different just because they actually get a period. who wants to deal with that? i certainly don't! lol...

the scpca down here offers spaying for like $35 versus the $284 my vet wanted to charge but they were booked solid through july so i was on a waiting list and then she, well, went into heat before the appointment lol...

so i got the puppy diapers... here's a pic LOL...

HAAA!! that face!! its like "Mom........ you biatch... i am soooo peeing in your bed later"

to funny! she hates it!

by the way... you need a new vet..... that price is beyond the realm of INSANE!!
    i mean i thought it was expensive when the spay and neuter clinic told me it would cost $90 to get my male bulldog cut.... i would have laughed in their faces if they had quoted triple digits!

what else are they over charging you on i wonder??

some vets.. i swear!

when our dogs went into heat we bought her dog panties and put in a regular old maxi pat. they worked really well and the dog didnt mind the panties so much.
    Character Inspired Soaps and Candles
    www.lafaepetite.com

lol you know I hadn't realized til now.. but I've been reading Sophie's blog! *giggles*
    Avvie and Sig by Viking Princess ,you rock!!

+ Reply to Thread